“Authentic, rustic elegance” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
Chicago
“Authentic, rustic elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Really a gorgeous, unique setting in the rain forest, beside the Piton Mts. and overlooking the Caribbean. My wife and I got "Ladera fever" and simply relaxed in our suite with its own private pool. Fabulous French-Creole cuisine from Mark Tan and the staff is so attentive and good-natured. We stayed 10 days and got to know many - Wonderful elegant servers, bar tenders and front-desk people: Isha, Al, Cynthia, Jennifer (smoothies & cocktails), Kishmer, Elizabeth, Melissa, and so many thanks to Neilbert who can do everything. Karim, the new sommelier from France, Hilka the electricity man; Lee who kept making sure we had everything and more. An operations man named Eustace is building new dream-suites with bamboo scaffolding - no big machinery on this delicate ridge. Amazing.

Room Tip: new "dream suites" opening in Feb, private pools, awesome views
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

So different from anything or anywhere we've ever stayed before. I simply could not get over the view from out of our suite! It is breathtaking as so many have described it. And it just doesn't get any more romantic. It is a must stay when going to St Lucia, we loved it! Three points you should know....1) Dasheene is wonderful and the food is very good, but pricey. Boucan across the street at Hotel Chocolat is also a must. 2) There is a fifteen minute ride down to a great beach, but as others have pointed out, you get the back row beach chairs even though you pay for them. It's ok and still worth the trip down, just expect it and don't get irritated as I initially did. 3) Avoid the "fish fry" at Anse La Raye -- Ugh! I won't beat it up as the locals are very proud, but I wish I didn't go.

Room Tip: If a suite is not in the budget, A1 is really nice!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

LADERA is a must stay. My husband and I celebrated my birthday and.honeymoon. Everything was perfect, the staff was pleasant , the food was EXCELLENT and the open view to Pitons was BREATHE TAKING. It's a place you will always remember nothing but good things, peacefullyness and tranquility. It is on our to do list again ....
Kelli Bravo-Sargeant.

• Stayed October 2012
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

If I had one word to describe Ladera it would be wow!

I spent many weeks researching the perfect 8 day trip in the caribbean for my fiance and I, which led me to booking 3 nights at Ladera in St. Lucia and 4 nights in Hermitage Bay in Antigua (you can read my review for this hotel as well). St. Lucia is such a gorgeous country and special in its own ways. LUSH, ROMANTIC, UNREAL, ADVENTUROUS, etc. The people of St. Lucia are so gracious, hospitable, and friendly. We always felt safe and welcomed. The country holds a special place in our hearts because it is where we got engaged on our first night at Hotel Chocolat!

Upon arrival we were upgraded to a villa. I'm not sure if it had to do with the fact that my Fiance contacted Ladera a few weeks before letting them know he was proposing. Nonetheless, the upgraded villa was unreal. The views were breathtaking. I had to open and close my eyes a few times to make sure I wasn't dreaming. There were SO many details in the room that made this villa unlike any other hotel. From the mosaic in the bathroom, to the carving on the columns, etc. It was just perfect.

The only con for us were the food prices. Yes, its a luxury hotel and we were on vacation, but we spent over $50 US dollars on a chicken sandwich, burger and fries. Dinner was very expensive too, over $125 for a fixed menu. A splurge here and there is fine, but just wish they had more reasonable prices. However, it also seemed to be like that at Jalouise.

I can see why people say that 3 nights is just perfect. It is open air and after the third night you might get somewhat annoyed with the mosquitos flying around and the mosquito net. It didn't seem to bother us, as we expected this type of experience. However, I am glad we didn't book 7 nights here.

The included breakfast every morning was fantastic. Every single employee of hotel we came in contact with was polite and friendly. We were taken away with the level of service. Thank you Ladera for our free bottle of champagne on the night we got engaged!

We used Christopher taxi service during our entire stay. Charles was our driver...He was fantastic! I highly recommend using this company. Just a quick recap for anyone interested in our itinerary:

Day 1: Arrived at hotel at 3pm, took in the views, used our plunge pool and went across the street at Hotel Chocolat where we got engaged.

Day 2: Hiked the Gros Piton, yes we made it to the top. Took us 4-5 hours total to go up and back. Get there early, take lots of water, sunscreen, bug repellent, snacks and your camera. When we got back to the hotel we wanted to go down to the beach, but we were just so tired. Stayed by our pool and then had dinner at Ladera's restaurant. Delicious!

Day 3: Woke up early went to Sulfur springs, the botanical garden, mud baths. We ate in town at Petit Peak which was our favorite meal in St. Lucia, they even gave our taxi driver a free meal. Then we went to the beach at Jalouise, which was very nice. Yes, the views from the beach are unbelievable, but don't expect crystal clear water.

Day 4: Breakfast, went into town to take pictures of the beautiful catholic church, and we were driven to the airport. Lots of winding roads. Made a few stops along the way to take pictures of the beautiful country.

Jalouise was beautiful, but I'm glad we chose Ladera and Hermitage Bay instead. We got to see two beautiful countries.

Hope this helps. Please message me for any questions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Greeley, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from Ladera. Never have we experienced anything so perfect. It was simple and elegant with a real down-to-earth feeling. The staff was EXCEPTIONAL! They treat you like family. The rooms were beautiful and earthy. Stone, Mahogany, tile, and all open aired so the breeze at night kept you cool. It isn't for all though as we occasionally woke to a lizard on our lamp or a frog in the shower! I loved it. The plunge pools were great after a hot day at the beach or hiking the rainforest. Don't expect to be pampered to the point that you get sick of someone saying, "Can I get you anything?" That is what we loved so much, they were there to help you when you asked, but didn't bother you about things that just don't matter that much. It is a humbling experience to see how the locals live in such happiness without the material things that we take for granted. Holly and Tom (owners) were on site and so willing to help with anything. We found the entire experience exactly what we needed. Time away from the every day rush that we have, time to unwind and just relax. If it's romance, service, beauty you crave, don't bother with any of the "all-inclusive big resorts". This is the best place I've ever visited.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. The hilltop rooms are bigger, but we had a gros piton and loved it just as...
Amarillo, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have travelled a lot internationally to nice properties like four seasons, fairmonts etc so can do a lot of comparison. For the price it's a mediocre property. The prices of ladera compares to four seasons and fairmont. At least what we paid.
PROS
We got an upgrade to room B which is a 3 bedroom suite but ended up using only one bedroom.
Service is good but layed back (island style, as they call it)
Rooms are open air without the fourth wall.
Views are good but have seen better for the price
Wake up to birds chirping and cool breezes
Free wifi in the room
We are vegetarian and they did their best to accommodate us
CONS
Prices of food are outrages(eg one cup of tomato soup was US $40.00. Dinner salad and a cheese ravioli is US$90.00
I liked the cabin style look but needs updating
Better be inside the bed once sun goes down which was about 6pm when we stayed there
No lights after dark
Pool was cold but they started the heater on request but it took a long time to get warm and next day they turned it off again.
Pool was kept clean considering a tropical climate but was dirty around the pool
Have to put all your food, drinks and medicine inside the fridge or closed containers due to ants
Terrible shower. Needs updating
10 minute drive to beach

It was a good experience to stay in an open air hotel so I am glad we did.
But try other resorts with similar prices and better food like four seasons in kho Samui. For the same price the view ,the rooms the service and food is better including free nightly entertainment
(Traditional Thai dancers)

Room Tip: Get a room on second floor. More breeze and views are better. An extra tip would be to ask at rece...
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We thought this was a fabulous hotel but can understand why it doesn't suit everyone.

We visited Ladera for a total of 9 nights in mid August. We were unlucky with the weather and early in our visit we had a couple of days of heavy rain and wind (start of hurricane Isaac) which put a damper on things. However, we were still able to enjoy the hotel to the full and the inclement weather gave an opportunity to observe the professionalism of the staff as they strove successfully to keep up their high standards of customer care against the odds.

Rooms

When I originally booked I had asked through the travel agent for a room if she could request a room with a with a good view from the bed (having noticed on Ladera's old website and TA that some beds were set towards the back of the rooms and sometimes at a lower level). I was also hopeful for an upgrade given the many mentions I had seen on TA. Our travel agent independently suggested that given the time of the year and that there was only three rooms in the category an upgrade was a possability. However, on both counts I was initially disappointed as we were shown to underwhelming Pitite Piton room U.

Room U
Summary - wide room with very high ceiling which gave the impression of being very spacious but had a relatively obscured view of the pitons
Good points -spacious bathroom with plenty of shelf space and great shower (it was circular, spacious, down a couple of steps and partially open above), small balcony to the back with a wonderful view and blinds which you could open up to give a really lovely breeze through the room, net curtains fitted the bed perfectly - no mossies got in, plunge pool - best view in the room and warm, two sets of drawers for clothing
Things I liked less - bed set towards the back of the room so it had little piton view, only one bedside table, in terms of furniture there was only a sofa to sit on. It had a partial view of the petit piton but a huge rockery and waterfeature really obscured the view of the whole - unless you stood on the lip of the plunge pool. The bathroom was also 'open' to the room - (door but only partial walls) this didn't bother us but shyer people may have had a problem with this. Some noise from the road (but not intrusive).

I am sure that room U would suit some people - certainly it was very comfortable to sleep in - but I really wanted to spend much of my time in the room looking at the wonderful view. Therefore on the first morning I asked reception if we could change to another PP room if one became available in the next few days. On our return from the beach we were taken to room L - also a petit piton room - which was just the ticket. We changed rooms within the half hour!

Lovely Room L
Summary - relatively small frontage but on two levels - fabulous views - downstairs bathroom.

Good points - view to die for including from the bed, seats upstairs with grandstand views of the pitons and Jalousie beach, mosaic shower with treefrog motif, downstairs sofa, intoxicating smell of the flowers planted in the garden at the rear of the room wafting in first thing in the morningl
Less good points, downstairs bathroom which was small (although beautiful), slightly noisier in that ground staff hung out occassionally in the walkway the rear of the room (there was a utility building behind and below our room) which didn't bother us, bed seemed very high off the ground and the netting didn't quite stretch to the bottom and therefore the odd mossie got in at night, the staircase was on the open wall side of the room which meant that you sometimes got wet using the stairs when it was raining (we used our robes as raincoats so this wasn't a problem). Plunge pool not so warm.

Rooms were kept beautifully clean and well serviced. We soon learnt to make good use of the Do Not Disturb sign as there appeared to be an endless trail of staff replenishing the waterbottles, soft drinks, cleaning the pool, turning down etc. If anything was missing you only had to ask and it would be rectified. Gym was well air-conditioned, stocked with some good machines (running machine was out of action) and a good set of dumbells (no barbells). I had a lovely complementary 15 min massage from Barbara.

Beach
Used the Jalousie beach several times. The loungers are comfortable and you can choose to have them in or out of the shade. The beach in front of the loungers /restaurant is perfect for swimming or you can go to the right of the beach for the snorkling where you will see many types of coral and brightly coloured fish. Buy a coconut from the coconut man! I noticed that some Ladera guests were nervious about leaving their belongings unattended. We have stayed at the Jalousie before and I have to say we had no such qualms (though we wouldn't bring lots of cash to the beach). The security staff patrol the beach and even the water taxi people seem to look out for you (the same characters were all there from our last visit two years ago). The pick ups by the minibuses worked fine.

Food and Drink
Loved it all. Made great use of local fresh ingredients. Home cooked breads and pastries (you never knew which varieties you would get in the basket). We also enjoyed the creole take on the restaurant and tried all the local dishes and specials. At lunch and dinner there was always a catch of the day and in the evening specials for both first and second courses. We still found things we wanted to eat as we entered our second week. I had one slightly disappointing meal - Shrimp Dasheen (I expected it to have more kick). The only thing I felt was a bit restricted was the choice of puddings - basically 3 (mousse, plantain and bannana tart and lava cake) all superb but could have also done with a pudding special! Home made icecreams and sorbets changed on a daily basis and were all delicious. The wine was excellent and the wine waiter appeared very knowledgable - he served them all at the right temperature and in very big glasses! The food portion sizes I thought were perfect. The birds weren't a problem at all. A couple of the evening bands were really enjoyable and prompted dancing and a party atmosphere. I particularly enjoyed the reggae band and the FS Project.

We went all inclusive. It was probably just about worth it because we ate lunch there every day but if you are moderate drinkers I would think the additional cost is marginal. The wine by the glass was both excellent and served in generous measures - US10-15 (choice of 5-6 red and white plus some rose/sparkling). I think a piton from the bar was about US6 and the cocktails ranged from about US10-14. Our lunch bill was normally signed off at about US40-50 (without drinks) and our dinner bill (with about two glasses of wine each) somewhere between US 140-200. If we went again for a week or over I would go half board - not least so we could share the time more evenly with the resaurant at Hotel Chocolate. We ate there once and it was fabulous and no more expensive than Ladera (I will review shortly).

Staff
The staff were delightful and charming but without being in your face. It was very clear that they wanted you to have a great holiday. A number of times we got treated by the staff - such as a surprise champaign cocktail at our last breakfast and some delicious cakes to sustain us on the journey home. Particular mentions to lovely Cynthia in the evenings in the Dasheen (along with Melissa, Al and Neilbert who also looked after us at lunch and Isha in the mornings) also Jennifer and Barley at the bar and a host of charming hostesses inlcuding Shekina and Lee. It was also good to meet the customer service managers at the weekly cocktail party on I think the Monday evening. Thank you too to Ethelbert and other drivers and Theodore our bell hop who we sorely tested with a number of unusual requests on our room change day! Sorry to those I don't mention by name - but we thank you all.

Would we go back?
Almost certainly but probably for fewer days. We really brought into the outdoor no airconditioning concept and were delighted with feeling much closer to nature (by the way no large spiders were spotted in spite of keeping an eye out for them!).

Room Tip: All unique, ask to change if you don't like yours
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are glad to hear about the magical experience during your recent visit in August! We will share your feedback with the entire team! We all look forward to welcoming you back next year or sooner!
Shemael

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!