“almost perfect.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
Njurunda, Sweden
“almost perfect.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

we recently returned from our honeymoon at sugar beach. we had an amazing time! we definitely would return, but with that said, here's my pro/con list:

pro:
-the villa was absolutely stunning. we stayed in a luxury villa, and it was beautiful. the plunge pool was a great size, and we did use it! the shower was INCREDIBLE, and it felt like we were in a mini house. really, really nice. we came back to a spotless villa everyday. the housekeeping did a really good job!

-the food: everything we ate was really, really good. we tried every possible location at the resort, and i was never disappointed. for breakfast, the eggs benny and chorizo, for lunch, the fish sandwich, roti, and shrimp bisque! and for dinner, we really liked the sushi cakes at the cane bar, bbq night at the bayside, and everything at the great room was incredible!

-the staff: everyone was REALLY really nice. especially sherman! LOVED HIM!

-the pool: was amazing. there was barely anyone in it, and it was spotless all the time. the service at the pool was great, and we never felt like we were neglected!

-the spa: we had multiple services done, and they were all great! a little pricy, but they had specials running everyday. (don't buy a package beforehand-- we did, and we could've taken advantage of their daily specials, so we kind of felt annoyed by that.)

cons:
-the shuttles: you can't walk to anything, so you have to take a shuttle everywhere. sometimes they came really quickly.. and sometimes they didn't. there were a couple times we were late to spa appointments because they took 15 min to get to our villa. after a while, it's gets to be a hassle to take the shuttles too.. you get barely any exercise and i started to feel ill by the end of the week from being in them. definitely a huge con. i missed being able to just go for a walk, and the roads don't really allow for that there.

-the service was really spotty. when it was good, it was perfect, when it was bad, it was REALLY bad. there was almost always a problem with our order (bringing out fries instead of our salad, forgetting sides, etc.) both times we got room service, our order was missing something. sometimes we waited a looooong time for our food. the great room's service started off well, but then we felt forgotten after a while. we waited 30 min for someone to come refill our glass of wine after buying an expensive bottle.

overall, it was a great vacation, and we truly enjoyed it. the cons were only slight negatives that didn't ruin our trip. i hope to go back someday, but maybe get a beach bungalow next time, so i could be closer to the ground.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your honeymoon at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
Your feedback is very important to us. We are pleased to hear that your stay was almost perfect with the exception of the disappointments that you have highlighted in the areas that concerned you.
I have shared your comments with the relevant department heads to ensure that our guests always receive the best possible service. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again, and to share firsthand the improvements made in light of your concerns.

André Boersma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I need to begin by stating that I travel extensively for my career. Of course I often go to Trip Advisor to get an idea of what the trends are for the resort I may be visiting....I read some interesting reviews about what I consider to be little things like, the "expensive" food (Are there those of us that book this kind of place and not think that things may be a little pricey?) This is hands down a fantastic experience! And that is what I think of the place---in total it is quite the Experience! There is a uniqueness to this resort that is awe inspiring. The journey of getting to the hotel is a story all its own :)
If you are looking for privacy-its here, If you are looking for nature-its , If you are looking for "spa-ing"- its here, You want the beach-its here, You want Joe vs Volcano--guess what its here! Do you wish to fine dine--its here, Okay you wish to have dinner on the beach--its here! Here's a tougher one- you want to see the fish at night? Guess what?? Its here! Night snorkeling!
This is one terrific Experience. The Villas are decadent, Beach Bungalows are convenient and we even asked for tiki torches for dinner and they appeared for us! Service is outstanding--there wasn't much that we wished for that they could not make happen. I had an event for dinner and asked for flowers for my hair--they went in to the florist and delivered them to our room!
The staff is gracious and attentive. The culture is fascinating. I guess you could say it could be frustrating to ride the Tut-Tuts down to the beach and pool...but why would you? Your butler (Thank you Montgomery and Dwight! We miss you!) is waiting to help you in and he is there on your return! You are surrounded by incredible beauty and decadence.
In short--you will find yourself wishing to stay at the resort. We only went off the resort to Hotel Chocolat' for Dinner. Everything you need is just a whisper away with a little device called a Firefly!
Fantastic spot! I highly recommend that you Experience the decadence of Sugar Beach!

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are convenient-but you miss the view! Villas specifically 904, 905 have a terrific...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Good day,
Thank you for your glowing comments about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
It brings us great satisfaction to hear that we created a memorable Sugar Beach experience for you.
We strive to find ways to inspire our guests through the services that we offer. Our staff will be very happy with your feedback. They will be commended for a job well done.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We have just returned from 12 nights in Sugar Beach in room 903 (a luxury cottage). What a fabulous holiday! The location is magical, right between the Pitons, with a white sandy beach (imported) and beautiful facilities. The staff were all excellent, friendly and helpful an knew our names from the beginning, which was impressive (right down to the cleaning staff).
Our villa was well-appointed, with plenty of hanging space in a walk-in wardrobe and tea and coffee making facilities and a decent sized fridge. The bathroom was enormous, with a huge shower,roll-top bath and double sink. It had good, if restricted, view of one of the Pitons and the sea.The plunge pool was fun and the outside seating area, along with the very tame birds and humming birds on the flowers, was lovely, as were all the garden areas planted around the villas and the general grounds.
The butlers are a lovely and helpful touch who ensured our stay went smoothly and were able to organise whatever we needed.This was especially helpful as my husband had broken his leg and arm falling off his mountain bike between our booking and arrival and was on double crutches. The manager was very helpful and ensured that we had a villa that he could access, and all the staff, including the tuk-tuk drivers, went out of their way to ensure that he could get around. Also I have special dietary needs and the resort also exceeded expectation by ordering in specially-requested foodstuffs and being constantly on the ball when it came to meals, wherever we ate. The Bayside is a lovely restaurant, but the Great Room was spectacular, and we ate there several times.
As we were not on the all-inclusive, we ate out twice, once at Ladera and once at Jade Mountain. Both had spectacular views across the Pitons being higher up, but the food was not as good and neither had the same ambiance or easy access to a beach. We were very glad to be staying at Sugar Beach!
We also did a couple of trips out. We did the volcano trip (about 45 minutes and lots of steps!), went around the Botanical Gardens (about 1 hour and flat), and visited the Mount Coubaril Plantation (about 45 minutes to 1 hour and also flat), all of which had guides and were local to the resort. We also went into Soufriere (worth seeing but you only need a short time) We had an excellent taxi driver in Double Dee, organised by the resort, who was charming and helpful and pushed the wheelchair! Taxi TX909, telephone 286 1562 or 7135292, deb-daisy@hotmail.com.
The small marine area has some mildly interesting snorkelling (though we are rather spoilt as we have been to the Maldives!) - go in the morning when the sun is on the water and before the boats arrive from the other resorts. All the beaches in St. Lucia are public so the other resorts can send boats, but they can only moor by the jetty and were not intrusive.
We also did the sunset cruise, which is fun and we were lucky enough to also see dolphins.
In all, a great holiday and just what we needed.

Room Tip: Several drivers said that room 309 was the best for view and location in their opinion, although 904...
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your wonderful stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am happy to hear that our staff went the extra mile to ensure that all your special needs and requirements were satisfied. Everyone will be praised for the special care and attention that they offered.
We wish your husband a speedy recovery from his injuries.
Once again, thank you for your comment and business. We are looking forward to your return visit soon.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Gosh, where do I start to describe our stay at this wonderful hotel? Firstly let me get the negatives out of the way.....
The birds at breakfast... I love wildlife but I don't like them trying to eat my breakfast with me. The solution for us was to eat inside, but would have loved to have been able to eat outside.
No bath tubs in the Cottages.... Yes the shower was huge but we would have loved a bath tub.
TV... Would have loved some more british channels and especially ones showing the World Cup friendly games (to be fair they are showing all World Cup games on St Lucian local tv) but we didn't get to see friendly games, pre World Cup... Only sports were mainly american ones or cricket.
Menus... Was disappointed with the lack of salads/lighter type dishes on the evening menus. (Not wanting to pile on weight, we would have loved more salad options).

Ok I can't think of any more negatives....

I read all trip advisor reviews before I go away and sometimes it can have you worrying about certain things that end up not being a problem. Or someone is just being overly fussy (maybe like me with the birds at breakfast!)... Like...
Mosquitos.... Some reviewers have said the place is swarming with them... Well I only got one bite the whole holiday and stopped wearing mozzy protection after two days. I seriously don't know where all these mozzies were? And we walked all over the place.
Shuttles/Walking.... Yes there are some steep hills but it really is not as bad as we expected. We walked during the day everywhere and only used shuttles in evenings. (We were in the 300s).
Temperature of plunge pools... Perfect. I don't think you would want them any warmer or you would lose the refreshment.

So I totally recommend this hotel. We were taken straight to our cottage on arrival and met by one of our awesome butlers with cold towels. We loved our cottage, plenty of space, yes the most comfortable bed ever. All cokes, diet cokes, tonic water, water, fruit juices, piton beers and nespresso coffees are complimentary, which is a nice touch. There are plenty of complimentary toiletries also. And plenty of towels... Replaced regularly. The room was very clean.
There was always plenty of sun beds either by the pool or beach. You don't really notice it is a public beach, as most visitors stay at one end. The cocktails were fabulous and we never had to wait longer than a couple of minutes to be served at beach or by pool. Both in the morning and the afternoon the beach/pool staff bring round cold towels (so good) and complimentary cocktails. Again, nice touches.
Before coming, I would not have even contemplated staying in a beach bungalow, as I love privacy and thought they would just be too open on the beach. However, having seen them I would definately stay in one as they looked so lovely and still maintain some privacy.
Breakfast (apart from my friends the birds) was lovely and lots of choice. I loved the creole poached eggs and my husband loved the eggs Benedict.
Lunch... We only had lunch a couple of times when we overslept and missed breakfast and actually it was a great menu. Much more choice than in the evening and the option of lighter meals.
Dinner... Our favourite was the great room. We did like Bayside and the spaghetti was one of the best I have had (also do try the chicken shared dinner, delicious).... But we preferred the elegance and ambience of the great room. Please make sure you also ask to see the vegetarian menu as I had pumpkin soup from it and it was the best thing I ate the whole two weeks. The grouper and halibut were very good.
The staff at this hotel are great. We did not experience any problems with slow service. Our butlers were fantastic and responded promptly and with smiles.
I could say so much more but this is already a long review.... One last thing.... The sea has a much more 'Greek' feel to it rather than caribbean.... It's not your typical turquoise sea but that beautiful clear refreshing Aegean.
So if your thinking of booking or have already booked, you won't be disappointed,

Room Tip: I asked by email for a very private room and with a sea view if possible... I got exactly what I ask...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to comment about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
Your feedback is well received. On balance it appears that you had an enjoyable stay despite of the minor disappointment that you have highlighted. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
We do try our best to control the birds at breakfast time and have actually strung transparent fishing line across the front of the restaurant which is supposed to act as a deterrent. Sometimes they can be intrusive and we are continuing to look for environmentally sound and humane ways to deter them from trying to share breakfast with our guests.
I am sorry about the World Cup friendly matches in the lead-up to the tournament. I’m afraid we were, and continue to be, at the mercy of the local service provider when it comes to coverage of this event. Luckily, so far every game has been televised and our guests have been able to watch their favorite teams on a large screen set up in our Cane Bar.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We hope to welcome you back to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort to share first hands the improvements made in light of your concerns.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at Sugar Beach in April. Various photos attached. The spa was a particular highlight. All of the staff were very friendly. We loved the luxury villa and the amazing views of the Pitons.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Good day,

Thank you for your glowing comments and taking the time to share these beautiful photos of Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort on TripAdvisor.

We are so pleased that we exceeded your expectations in all areas.

Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We are looking forward to your return visit.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We celebrated 25 years of marriage and decided to visit St. Lucia. We flew in to the airport, rented a car, and drove the 45 minute trip to the resort. Susan checked us in and offered us a delicious adult beverage. She was warm and personable and EVERY time she saw us, she remembered our names--pretty impressive! During our stay, we had several butlers--Curtley, Dwight, and Monty. They were all wonderful, but Monty was a true professional. Sugar Beach provides you and your partner with cell phones to stay in touch with each other and to call your butler for anything.
The restaurants on property were all good. Service was terrific. The Great Room is fantastic for a special dinner---we ate there twice and enjoyed everything. Breakfast was included in our rate. The Terrace served a buffet each morning, but you can also order waffles, omelets, smoothies, etc. It's a lovely outdoor setting.(Although, watch out for birds! They can be aggressive looking for crumbs.) Service was sometimes slow, but I believe it is the "Island Time" effect.
The beach was beautiful. All beaches on St. Lucia are public, but since the Sugar Beach is difficult to get to, we never felt crowded. Comfy lounge chairs and umbrellas line the beach. No matter what time we got to the beach, we could always find a lounge chair. Drinks and food could also be served on the beach. Also, the resort has a policy where vendors cannot leave their spot on the beach to harass guests. No one constantly coming up to you to offer hair braiding, etc--very nice. The only "vendors" we saw were 3 water taxis. We negotiated with one of them (Randolph), to take us to Castries one day. I recommend the visit and his services. We took the Sunset cruise offered by the hotel--Spectacular!
We stayed in villa 904 which had a bedroom, a living room, a large bathroom, and a terrace with a plunge pool. It's at the top of a hill, but small shuttles are abundant, or your butler can order one for you. We never waited more than 3 minutes for a shuttle. Nathaniel, at Reception, always had a smile for us when we asked for a shuttle. Usually we walked down the hill to dinner or the beach, but because of the steep incline, it was easier to shuttle up to our villa. Housekeeping was good, but they showed up at a different time each day. Sometimes our room was cleaned prior to lunch and sometimes not until 4 pm.
One day we took out a 2 man kayak, which was fun. Another day we snorkeled off the beach--amazing fish in the nature preserve there. Those activities were included. We did not see any teen aged children during our stay and very few small children.
The Rainforest Spa was interesting. It's built like a tree house. It wasn't as luxurious as some of the spas I have been to, but my massage by Vanelsa was probably the best massage I have ever had. Prices seemed in line with a resort of this caliber.
Food and drink prices throughout the resort were on the high end. Bottled water, coffee, tea, and a small bottle of local rum were provided free of charge.
Sugar Beach was an amazing hotel at an amazing location. Every staff member we met was courteous. It's an expensive trip, but well worth it. We would definitely consider staying here again.

Good day
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your 25th Anniversary stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are happy that our staff made your stay memorable for all the right reasons and your expectations were exceeded in almost every area. They will be acknowledged for a job well done.
I am sorry that the birds pestered you at breakfast. This has not been a major concern in the past, but we have seen a few more comments than normal coming up on TripAdvisor. As explained to a previous reviewer, we have strung transparent fishing line across the front of the restaurant in a bid to deter them. We believe the blackbirds are nesting in the area at the moment and are searching for easy pickings to feed their young. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are continuing to look for ways of keeping them away from The Terrace without harming them or the delicate World Heritage environment in which we sit.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We hope to see you again soon.

Trinity, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

From the minute we landed in St. Lucia, we knew we were in for a treat, as even the airport staff were as friendly and welcoming as I have ever encountered. We had booked a Superior Luxury Villa at Sugar Beach, and when we arrived after a scenic 45 minute ride from our very friendly and knowledgeable driver Francois, our butler Gus met us right at our villa with coconut refreshments, having already taken care of the check-in for us, and gave us a tour of our accommodations. We were in villa 801 and it couldn't have been more perfect. We were high up on the hill but facing the water, which was just visible through the lush rain forest foliage. We felt secluded, and yet could see both Pitons and the ocean from our private plunge pool.

Everyone from the shuttle drivers (a special thank you to you Mr. Terry!) to the reception staff to the bartenders was as upbeat and friendly as I have ever seen – St. Lucians sure know how to host! Be sure to have Lorencia at the Bayside Bar tell you about the local rums, then let her mix you up one of her specials, and do not miss the Old Havana at the Cane Bar. Getting around the resort is on little open-air shuttles, but we never once waited more than 60 seconds for a shuttle day or night, and no ride was longer than 3 minutes. Gus was always a phone call away on the resort-provided cell phone, and no request was too big or too small. He would often meet us before our shuttle arrived just to check on us and see how we were doing. Thanks again for everything Gus, you are a true ambassador of the resort!

Some reviews mention a "bug spray" smell around the resort, but I can absolutely assure you that this is not the case - higher up on the hill, the faint smell of sulfur comes from the nearby volcano, and we found it very enjoyable as it complimented the fresh floral/rain forest scent present throughout the area. Also, as we visited near summer (early June 2014), as Floridians, were prepared for some heat, but the constant ocean breeze made it feel like Florida in March – warm and tropical but not for a second uncomfortable even in the sun. The occasional light drizzle reminded us that we were in fact in a rain forest, but blue skies were present throughout our stay.

The prices around the resort are in line with its nearly 5 star rating and room rates, so this is not the right choice for the budget-conscious traveler, and service can be a bit relaxed at times (it's like that throughout the Caribbean though - we call it "Island Time"), but if you are looking for unprecedented levels of luxury and some of the most beautiful tropical scenery you will ever see, absolutely do not miss Sugar Beach.

Room Tip: 800's are high up on the hill with lots of vegetation around. The 500's seem to have the bes...
Good Day,
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and would like to thank you for providing your feedback.
We certainly agree with you that our location is world class and we try out utmost to provide our guests with the highest level of service. It is gratifying to know that you enjoyed everything that we offered.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Sugar Beach soon.

André Boersma

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!