“wonderful holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Nights
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Soufriere
“wonderful holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a 6 day stay and found Sugar Beach a fantastic resort. Check in was easy and the butlers had drinks awaiting us on arrival. We had a party of 6 with two villas (one a 2 bead room) both with plunge pools and great views. The service was impeccable with anything you wanted a phone call away. My daughter and her boyfriend were with us and we had a very pleasant surprise on day 2. A proposal so a very special addition to our trip. The drinks and the food were all top notch. We split dinners between the Grand Hall and Beaches and both were excellent. All of the staff we engaged with were very polite, professional and always greeted us with a smile and warm welcome. The carts to and from the villas and pool/beach and dinner were very timely with no excessive waits. My daughter and wife enjoyed their spa days and thought the service was very good. The villas were very clean and the beds were delightful. Pool and beach service were also first rate. We recently relocated from a long expat assignment in the UK back to the US and have had the opportunity to go to resorts all over the world and we would say that Sugar Beach was one of, if not the best, that we have been to. Also a special thank you to Jason, Alex and Sharma our butlers as they did an excellent job of taking care of us. Linus was our favourite waiter and he too was special and remembered us throughout the week. The setting between the Pitons was superb and the on site snorkeling was very good. I would highly recommend Sugar Beach and we plan to return again. If you want a first class place to go..... Sugar Beach is the spot. You won't be disappointed in the least

Stayed June 2013
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Good day,

Thank you for your feedback and comments about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort. Our management team and staff are committed to ensuring that every holiday is perfect. We are glad that your experience was seamless and that you and your family found Sugar Beach to be among the very best properties you have visited around the world.

We are delighted for your daughter and her fiancé. What a wonderful surprise for all of you, and one which we are thrilled to have been a part of. Perhaps with such fond memories of Sugar Beach, the happy couple might consider a destination wedding or honeymoon between the Pitons. We would certainly welcome the chance to be part of their special celebration.

Once again, thank you for comments and business. We look forward to serving you and your family again Soon.

390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were wanted to drive to Soufriere to make sure we could get around. We had a tour the next day and didn’t want to get lost. We sorta just landed here and we were hungry. We went to the gate of this resort and asked security if we could go to the restaurant. It felt awkward and they sort of side eyed us. So they told us to go down the road and park in the visitor parking. Then a shuttle would take us down the restaurant. The restaurant and location itself was beautiful and right off Sugar beach and some nice jazz playing. We had to wait until 6:30 when the restaurant officially opened. So we just walked around the property but then it started to rain so we had to find some cover quickly. When it finally opened up we were asked if we had a reservation…um no…but the restaurant was empty. There were only 2-3 more couples and the occupancy rate was at least 100 or so people. I think this flustered the hostess but she did seat us and we ordered like normal. The food was good. DH got the steak. I got the pasta. It was delicious but I wouldn’t say it was our favorite meal. We paid and then again had to wait for the shuttle which seemed to be moving slowly. The shuttle drivers all had walkie-talkies and you could hear all the conversations. My husband whom never gets uncomfortable at places said that it felt like the security was too tight. This feeling made him anxious to get out of there. This is the only time on the island we felt uncomfortable.

Good day,

Thank you for your comments about your visit to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

I am disappointed to hear that your husband felt uncomfortable during his time on the property. We try our utmost to put all of our guests at ease and I know our team members will be concerned about your comments.

Perhaps we need to refresh our training so that our security, while still present and alert, is not obtrusive and uncomfortable. I will certainly be raising the issue with the management team.

I hope that you will accept our apology and consider a return visit, perhaps as a resident guest next time. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you at our best.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I could write a typical review by covering the usual topics. I could talk about all of the amenities of our Luxury Villa number 901 but all of that can be found on their website. Do I really need to tell you about the free WIFI, fully-stocked mini bar, private plunge pool and butler service? I could mention all of the spectacular views of the Pitons, the ocean or the white sandy beach but that would just be redundant. If you are reading this review then it is most likely you already know all of the excellent amenities that Sugar Beach has to offer.

Instead, I will talk about what made Sugar Beach unique for us. One such feature was the Rainforest Spa and Walk. It was one of my favorite places on the resort. I can visit thousands of resorts all over the world with beach access but not many would have rainforest access as well. Taking a walk through the rainforest while everyone else is on the beach allowed me to relax and be close to the sounds of the jungle. I can understand why the spa is located there. It was really nice to be able to take a walk through the rainforest without crossing paths with another person. I also really loved the fact that the resort grew bananas, papayas and mangos that were used in the restaurants. The food was always good and my favorite dish during our stay was the Toffee Souffle in the Great Room. It was so delicious that I ordered it the both times we dined there. If you are like me then you will want to try everything on the menu and it will be a good idea to add the meal plan to your package. Many of the villas are built high above the beach and as a result you will have to be shuttled to and from the beach, restaurants and reception. The shuttle service was outstanding. The drivers were at our door soon after we asked for one. Even if we were passed by a full shuttle, the drivers always called to make sure there was a backup coming. We never waited more than a few minutes. Sometimes they arrived before we even left our villa.

What really made our stay at Sugar Beach the most memorable trip we have ever had was the staff and their commitment to service. When we arrived at Sugar Beach, our butler Montgomery was so helpful getting us settled into our villa. His positive attitude and friendly personality made him a pleasure to encounter each day. I mentioned that it was my wife's birthday and Montgomery sent a fresh fruit plate with a bottle of champagne for her. Our other butler Dwight was also quite friendly and always took care of our requests quickly. I will also mention the great service at the resort's restaurants. We received exceptional service from Tavarie and Dona who we saw nearly every morning during our stay. It is a better experience when you are surrounded by friendly faces.

We planned our stay at Sugar Beach for our wedding ceremony and working with the coordinator Marcus Joseph was a wonderful experience. He was professional yet personable. He got to know us on a personal level and made sure that our ceremony was a reflection of who we are as a couple. I made a mention of how much I love all of the mangos on the property. The next day I received a surprise platter of freshly ripe and delicious mangos. It was a very thoughtful gesture. Marcus made our wedding experience quite special. Everything was perfect. He took his time and made sure that we did it our way and that we took all of the photos we wanted. Every member of the resort's staff made it a point to congratulate us even a day after our ceremony. It was as if a mass text was sent out to let them know about our special day. It was also remarkable how so many people remembered our names from the shuttle driver Terry to the water taxi guy named Randolph. The warmth of St. Lucia is showcased by the staff at Sugar Beach.

We knew what to expect from a first class establishment such as Sugar Beach but it was the unexpected that really touched us. While the beauty of the island will make us come back to St. Lucia, it is the excellent service and friendly people that will make us come back to Sugar Beach.

Room Tip: 901 is a standalone villa and does not share a wall with another villa.
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your wedding and honeymoon at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

I am delighted that our team members provided the special touches that enhanced your stay and made your wedding a celebration to remember for all the right reasons. Marcus is truly one of our stars and has a wonderful way of putting couple’s at ease and ensuring the details of their special day are executed to perfection. I will be sure to share your glowing comments with him.

I will also be sure to single out the other individuals you have mentioned and commend them for a job well done. As a General Manager, nothing gives me more pleasure than comments such as yours about our staff.

As for the amenities and facilities such as the Rainforest Walk and Spa, the owner of the resort poured his heart and soul into this property and it is wonderful when guests connect with his vision as you clearly did.
Our lush grounds and fertile volcanic soil mean we can and do grow many of the fruits, herbs and vegetables used in the restaurants and even in some of the spa treatments on offer. I am happy that you also appreciated this aspect of your time at Sugar Beach.

Once again, thank you for your praise and feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon, perhaps for another birthday or first anniversary celebration.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Sugar Beach is one of the most luxurious locations at which I have ever stayed. The changes and improvements completed late last year were very apparent. My wife and I were on our honeymoon, and we actually made an unplanned moved to the Viceroy after a rather unpleasant experience at another resort on St. Lucia. It turned out to be the best unplanned visit.

The service is impeccable, the facility and amenities are world-class, and the location with mountains on either side make for a splendidly unique view anyone would be hard pressed to find elsewhere. One additional bonus: while all beaches are technically Public in St. Lucia, the rather aggressive locals attempting to sell this or that really are kept at a distance. You can easily lounge and not be accosted every 10 minutes.

We will be back to celebrate - maybe an anniversary, a birthday...hell, a Tuesday! Any excuse to come back.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, do yourself a favor and get a villa. Splurge, treat yourself - you w...
Good day,
Thank you for your glowing comments about your “unplanned” stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are glad that we were able to accommodate you and help to turn what had started out as a negative island experience into a honeymoon full of memories to treasure for all the right reasons. We are truly happy that you had the opportunity to experience our incredible resort.
As you have pointed out, we are not only known for our stunning location, but the services, facilities, accommodations and top-notch amenities are all equal to the view.
We welcome the opportunity to serve you again, for any of the reasons you suggest. We are very fond of Tuesdays as well!

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

my husband and I have just returned from yet another wonderful holiday at Sugar beach. We were neither travelling with children or a young American couple on honeymoon like the previous reviewer said!!
The private transfer from the airport was very good (50 mins) but a bit twisty in places. The newly refurbished reception was a lovely surprise. We were given a lovely welcome and shown to our room by the butler with cocktails in hand. We stayed in Sugar Mill room 7. (My husband thought he was James Bond for the week!!)
You cannot fault the sugar mill rooms. The luxurious large bed with beautiful percale white egyptian cotten bedding was divine, The clawed foot bath and the fantastic large walk in shower along with the Jack and jill basins all add to these rooms.You have your own private garden with a plunge pool and this time we had an upper terrace with views of the sea. one advanyage of staying in the sugar mill rooms means you do not have to keep ordering a shuttle to take you to the restaurants, pool, beach etc they are in easy reach.
The beach is beautiful white sand with a good supply of padded sunbeds with large straw umbrellas. There is a good selection of water activities and snorkeling. It was good to see the visiting vendor 'The Coconut Man' still walking the beach. Randolph was still there should you need a boat trip/water taxi.
The pool has been refurbished since our last visit (Oct 2011). It is now an infinity pool and still as beautiful with sunloungers surrounding it. Because last week was half term for the Uk there were more children at the resort so the pool was a little more noisier than previous visits at times but this was not a problem just an observation.
new Kobes (i think that is the right word) have been built in the beautiful landscape gardens . These are wooden gazebos with straw roofs built on decking. These were a wonderful addition to the resort. with lovely views of the pool and beach. The red flag system for drinks ordering was just as efficient . You are really spoilt!!
We enjoyed having breakfast on the Palmcourt terrace opposed to the Bayside as in previous visits. The choice of food hot or cold was excellent along with the addition of smoothies. all hot food is cooked to order. you sit having your breakfast overlooking the gardens and beautiful waterlily pond.
Evening meals are served in the great Room(formal) or the Bayside. We really enjoyed our food at both . It is fine dining in the Great Room . compliments to the chef there! We had never tasted such beautiful succulent steak than what we ate there last Weds eve! We were all inclusive so could choose what we wanted to eat and drink without worrying about the prices and in my opinion I would recommend people chose this option. j
We visited the rainforest spa again. there is nothing more relaxing than having you treatment in what was like a filled in wooden treehouse high up in the rainforest listening to all the wonderful natural sounds. .
Overall the service was excellent. the staff are wonderful and polite and nothing is too much trouble. The resort is quite extensive so you do not feel crowded. We will definitely return again It is so perfect that we would be disappointed to go anywhere else that didn't match up!! Our little haven of paradise!

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your fourth holiday at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are so delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience yet again and that you truly appreciated the changes that have taken place since you last visited in 2011. Like you, we believe the new pool is particularly special as are the Kabe privee (cabanas on the lawn). Of course, our luxury villas and Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms are still among the finest accommodations anywhere and we are pleased that you enjoyed the convenience of being close to the action in Sugar Mill 7.
At Sugar Beach we like to provide unique experiences for every guest and pride ourselves on the high quality facilities, food and beverage offerings and service they enjoy. We also have a Rainforest Spa that is hard to beat in terms of design, location and the range of treatments offered.
Thank you once again for your glowing comments and for your loyalty. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Just finished 10 day stay . Check in was direct in villa. Luxury villa was spacious with fabulous views and private pool. We have stayed in some nice places ( Sandy Lane , Carlisle Bay etc) but the villas here are exceptional. You do take pot luck on views but we were lucky. Two children 8 and 6 slept on sofa bed in living room.

Food was very good although a bit more variety would have been nice. All staff very friendly and most efficient by Caribbean standards.

The kids loved the buggies that transport you around the resort but what made the holiday was the kids club( over fours). The two ladies ( Alcee, Sherifa) and Thomas were fantastic. Yes the kids were lucky to make good friends of the same age but even so all three were lovely.

Those staying are either families or young Americans on honeymoon but all mixed well.

We will definitely return . A great great place.

• Stayed May 2013
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent family vacation at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
It is gratifying to learn that your overall expectations were exceeded. We are very enthusiastic and passionate about ensuring the happiness and satisfaction of our guests so it is always pleasing when we receive a positive review such as yours.
Our culinary team serves some of the very best food on the island. Had we known of your preferences, would have prepared more dishes to your satisfaction.
Our Kids Club team is well trained and highly professional. We are genuinely interested and care about our younger guests and the experiences that are created for them. I am delighted to read that your children made friends and enjoyed the activities organized for them.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently spent a week at the Sugar Beach Resort. The setting is simply stunning - situated in a secluded rain jungle rising from the beach, between two massive 2,500 peaks (Gros Piton and Petit Piton). The service was absolutely first class and we loved spending quiet days next to the private pool outside our room, on the large sandy private beach.

The rooms are beautifully appointed and appear to have been recently renovated. We stayed in room 501, one of the luxury villa rooms with a private plunge pool. The veranda was spacious, with plenty of outdoor deck space both under a large porch as well as a large open deck. The villa pools/decks have varying levels of privacy - some can be seen easily from the access roads, and others (like 501) are completely private.

The view of the ocean from our room was simply spectacular, and as far as we could tell, most of the rooms (except the rainforest rooms) had similar views. This is because the villas are situated along a very steep access road from the beach and main dining areas. There are regular "tuk-tuk" shuttles that ferry guests around the resorts and we found that we rarely had to wait more than a few minutes for a ride. Most mornings we simply took the 10-minute walk down to the breakfast veranda in the main building.

Overall, the environment was just as advertised in the website. We loved the art, the food was first-rate, and the staff was exceptionally friendly. The only thing we didn't expect, and can't be captured in photography, is just how stunning the setting is. We'll be returning for sure.

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to comment on your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you particularly enjoyed your Grand Luxury Villa in addition to the services and amenities the resort offers.
Once again, thank you for your words of encouragement and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

André Boersma

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!