my husband and I have just returned from yet another wonderful holiday at Sugar beach. We were neither travelling with children or a young American couple on honeymoon like the previous reviewer said!!
The private transfer from the airport was very good (50 mins) but a bit twisty in places. The newly refurbished reception was a lovely surprise. We were given a lovely welcome and shown to our room by the butler with cocktails in hand. We stayed in Sugar Mill room 7. (My husband thought he was James Bond for the week!!)
You cannot fault the sugar mill rooms. The luxurious large bed with beautiful percale white egyptian cotten bedding was divine, The clawed foot bath and the fantastic large walk in shower along with the Jack and jill basins all add to these rooms.You have your own private garden with a plunge pool and this time we had an upper terrace with views of the sea. one advanyage of staying in the sugar mill rooms means you do not have to keep ordering a shuttle to take you to the restaurants, pool, beach etc they are in easy reach.
The beach is beautiful white sand with a good supply of padded sunbeds with large straw umbrellas. There is a good selection of water activities and snorkeling. It was good to see the visiting vendor 'The Coconut Man' still walking the beach. Randolph was still there should you need a boat trip/water taxi.
The pool has been refurbished since our last visit (Oct 2011). It is now an infinity pool and still as beautiful with sunloungers surrounding it. Because last week was half term for the Uk there were more children at the resort so the pool was a little more noisier than previous visits at times but this was not a problem just an observation.
new Kobes (i think that is the right word) have been built in the beautiful landscape gardens . These are wooden gazebos with straw roofs built on decking. These were a wonderful addition to the resort. with lovely views of the pool and beach. The red flag system for drinks ordering was just as efficient . You are really spoilt!!
We enjoyed having breakfast on the Palmcourt terrace opposed to the Bayside as in previous visits. The choice of food hot or cold was excellent along with the addition of smoothies. all hot food is cooked to order. you sit having your breakfast overlooking the gardens and beautiful waterlily pond.
Evening meals are served in the great Room(formal) or the Bayside. We really enjoyed our food at both . It is fine dining in the Great Room . compliments to the chef there! We had never tasted such beautiful succulent steak than what we ate there last Weds eve! We were all inclusive so could choose what we wanted to eat and drink without worrying about the prices and in my opinion I would recommend people chose this option. j
We visited the rainforest spa again. there is nothing more relaxing than having you treatment in what was like a filled in wooden treehouse high up in the rainforest listening to all the wonderful natural sounds. .
Overall the service was excellent. the staff are wonderful and polite and nothing is too much trouble. The resort is quite extensive so you do not feel crowded. We will definitely return again It is so perfect that we would be disappointed to go anywhere else that didn't match up!! Our little haven of paradise!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort is set amidst more than 100 acres of tropical rainforest on the island's scenic Caribbean coast. Embraced by St Lucia's majestic World Heritage-listed Pitons, the resort's 78 Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms, Villas and Luxury Beachfront Bungalows boast elegant styling, private plunge pool, four poster bed, luxurious Egyptian cotton linens, every possible modern amenity, and personalised butler service. A stunning white sand beach, beautiful Rainforest Spa with tree house treatment rooms, full PADI dive facility, and superb waterfront dining ensure the ultimate vacation experience with space enough for honeymooners and families alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jalousie Plantation Hotel Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation St Lucia
- Jalousie Hilton
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere