My girlfriend and I recently spent a week at the Sugar Beach Resort. The setting is simply stunning - situated in a secluded rain jungle rising from the beach, between two massive 2,500 peaks (Gros Piton and Petit Piton). The service was absolutely first class and we loved spending quiet days next to the private pool outside our room, on the large sandy private beach.
The rooms are beautifully appointed and appear to have been recently renovated. We stayed in room 501, one of the luxury villa rooms with a private plunge pool. The veranda was spacious, with plenty of outdoor deck space both under a large porch as well as a large open deck. The villa pools/decks have varying levels of privacy - some can be seen easily from the access roads, and others (like 501) are completely private.
The view of the ocean from our room was simply spectacular, and as far as we could tell, most of the rooms (except the rainforest rooms) had similar views. This is because the villas are situated along a very steep access road from the beach and main dining areas. There are regular "tuk-tuk" shuttles that ferry guests around the resorts and we found that we rarely had to wait more than a few minutes for a ride. Most mornings we simply took the 10-minute walk down to the breakfast veranda in the main building.
Overall, the environment was just as advertised in the website. We loved the art, the food was first-rate, and the staff was exceptionally friendly. The only thing we didn't expect, and can't be captured in photography, is just how stunning the setting is. We'll be returning for sure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort (formerly the Jalousie Plantation) is set amidst more than 100 acres of tropical rainforest on the island’s scenic Caribbean coast. Embraced by St Lucia’s majestic World Heritage-listed Pitons, the resort’s 78 Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms, Villas and Luxury Beachfront Bungalows boast elegant styling, private plunge pool, four poster bed, luxurious Egyptian cotton linens, every possible modern amenity, and personalised butler service. A stunning white sand beach, beautiful Rainforest Spa with tree house treatment rooms, full PADI dive facility, and superb waterfront dining ensure the ultimate vacation experience with space enough for honeymooners and families alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Jetsetter, Tingo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Agoda, HotelsClick, Venere and Otel so you can book your Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jalousie Plantation Hotel Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation St Lucia
- Jalousie Hilton
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere