“Incredible Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
Nashville, TN
“Incredible Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Jalousie Plantation (Sugar Beach), is by far the best resort we have ever been to. We were there December 1-8 and were blown away by everything this place has to offer. First the scenery is breathtaking, pictures do not do it justice. Sitting at the pool or beach looking at the beatiful ocean in the middle of the pitons must be seen in person to appreciate. We stayed in the superior luxury sugar mill in #2 and absolutely loved it. This room was perfect for us as we had a garden, plunge pool, and huge balcony overlooking the pool and ocean. The villas are very cool but require a shuttle to and from, the sugar mill rooms offer luxury and a little more convenience. If there was a 6th star for service this place would get it, from the butlers to bartenders the service is outstanding. Both restaurants had amazing food, the rum and mixed drinks are fantastic, must have the watermelon mojito at the beach bar! We had a couples massage in the rainforest spa that was incredible. We also took the water taxi into soufriere, very cool to see some of the local culture. This place is 5 stars through and through. If we had one small complaint it would be that down the beach they have people that are dropped off by boat most of the day. They must come from cruises or other resorts. This boat traffic and added population killed some of the ambiance, but nothing we couldnt overlook. It just seemed a little odd considering the price and all of the great things about the resort, that people not staying would be allowed access to the same areas that we paid a pretty penny for. Like I said the place is amazing, just one small area of dissatisfaction.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your honeymoon at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are delighted you had a wonderful stay with us and that you were highly satisfied with our services and everything else you experienced, with the exception of the minor disappointment you noted. I will be sure to compliment our team for the ensuring you had a great stay.
Our spa is truly amazing and I am happy you had the opportunity to enjoy a couple’s massage and the warm mineral watsu pool.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, perhaps for your first anniversary.

André Boersma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Jalousie...now sugar Beach is simply fantastic. We had a wonderful honeymoon, everything was perfect. We were waited on hand and foot, service is delightful. But the most important thing about this place is the LOCATION. Absolutely stunning surroundings. It has it all. Mountains, rainforest, gorgeous beach, turquoise sea, beautiful gardens and architecture. If you are looking for escapism, luxury, isolation, tranquillity, natural beauty....this is it.

From the moment we arrived we were blown away. Upgraded to a gorgeous grand luxury villa in the 700s looking straight out to the sea with the pitons on either side - we loved our rainforest hideout!

The villa itself was simply stunning - so spacious, beautifully decorated, luxurious, amazingly comfortable bed....but the outside was where it was really special. Huge outdoor areas and plunge pool with outdoor shower, all looking straight out to a stunning view of the sea with the Pitons either side. It was just glorious.

All aspects of the service were fantastic. The butlers, the shuttles, the restaurant/bar/beach staff, housekeeping - all were faultless, incredibly friendly, ready and waiting to cater to any need.

Food and dining experience was also great. Menu changed daily. Great steak at the Great Room, fantastic seafood, breakfasts and Friday BBQ at the Beachside.

Rainforest spa is also a must. Treatments and location are just spectacular.

Activity wise, we didn't do much!....snorkelling off the beach is fantastic. And we did go game fishing one day which was awesome. We met Captain Mark on the beach, near the scuba/water sports hut and arranged a morning's fishing. It was fantastic - he knew where to go to get the fish and had 2 very helpful and knowledgeable deckhands. Also very competitively priced. We caught some good sized Dorado and had a few big hits, but they got away! We did see another boat hooked up with a sailfish jumping around, so plenty of good fishing action to be had. And to top off a great morning, when we got back to the beach with our catch we took it straight to the Beachside restaurant where the chef came out, saw what we had and then prepared a gorgeous 3 course fish lunch with our catch. Can't get fresher than that! If you are looking to go fishing, make sure you head down to the beach and have a chat with Captain Mark. His contact numbers are +1 (758) 489-6872 or +1 (758) 724-4903 or +1 (758) 518-3489.

We also hiked the Gros Piton, which was awesome. Very strenuous - not for the faint hearted but absolutely fantastic nonetheless. Be prepared for a good hard 1.5-2 hour hike up and then the same back down again. Take lots of water. You must go up with a guide and this costs USD$30 per person. The guides are very knowledgeable - be sure to ask lots of questions if you manage to catch your breath! View from the summit is just lovely and its very satisfying to be lying on the beach the day after, looking up at the Gros Piton and thinking 'I climbed that!'.

Excursions through the hotel, whilst convenient are pricey so it pays to sort things out independently. We met Germiel when we arrived, he was our taxi driver from the airport and gave us his card. So we made sure we got back in touch with him to take us to the Piton hike. He's a great driver, nice air conditioned taxi, lots of local knowledge. His email is germs_3@hotmail.com and phone is +1 (758) 717 1820. Hit him up for a good deal! As an example....the Piton hike through the hotel was USD$85 per person. Booking transport with Germiel and paying the USD$30guide fee at the foot of the Piton made the trip USD$45 per person. Big saving!

The same can be said for airport transfers....out travel agent want GBP£130 for hotel transfers. But a taxi from the airport is much cheaper. There are flat rates to all the hotels. To Jalousie/Sugar Beach to fare is USD$75.
Also, everything is quite expensive. I guess because almost everything is imported into St Lucia. Another great tip shared with us by Germiel was to stop off and buy some bits for our villa (as there are no shops near Jalousie). So we got some beers and wine for our own mini bar and it was another big savings, and meant we could have pre-dinner drinks on our verandah as we watched the sunset from our plunge pool, without being hit with a big mini bar bill!

So that's it in a nutshell.......We cant wait to head back one day. We will definitely be returning to celebrate a future anniversary 

Thank you Sugar Beach!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Good day,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your honeymoon stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are happy to know that you thoroughly enjoyed our resort and everything that we have to offer.
I am confident that other visitors to TripAdvisor will find your review both thorough and useful. You certainly managed to make the most of your stay with climbing the Piton and enjoying a fishing trip too…not to mention the wonderful Rainforest Spa,
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to your return visit to celebrate a future anniversary.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We visited in June 2012 on our honeymoon, when this was still the Jalousie Plantation. Despite being the 'low season', the weather was perfect everyday. Blue skies, and only one shower - funnily enough, on the day that we were leaving.

We had a hillside villa with plunge pool. We never saw another person from our villa, it was very peaceful, with views of the jungle and pitons. The rooms were beautifully decorated.

We would retire to our plunge pool for cocktails at sunset each day, before getting ready for dinner. If this sounds like your kind of thing, then bring a bottle of spirits with you from duty free, and then use the mixers in the fridge.

We did a few excursions from the hotel:

We hiked up the Gros Piton, which is hard work! I am a hockey player, my husband a marathon runner, and we both agreed it was a struggle. But good views from the top, and now we can say we've done it! Take lots of water.

I went diving with the dive school at the beach there. I asked the concierge to book me in for some diving - when I arrived they had planned an introduction to diving class for me, even though I am padi qualified. My fault for not being specific, so be specific! The water was clear, and I saw a lot of nice fish. It was very enjoyable.

We went on a whale watching trip. This was fantastic, a huge highlight of the week. Only six people on a boat made for many more. Not crushed, trying to peer inbetween the heads of others. We all sat on the front, legs hanging over the sides, while watching the dolphins swim under the boat, pilot whales next to us, and a sperm whale in the distance. Got some great photos and loved the lack of people and other boats around.

We also went on the sunset cruise trip. This was pretty nice, but I found the boat quite crowded. We managed to get a good place to sit but not everyone did. When they brought out the champage, they just gave out glasses and bottles, and everyone poured their own. This resulted in no champagne being left for us... we had to complain to get another bottle so we could have some.

We loved the open air cinema, and think this should be on more than once a week! We watched Top Gun while drinking wine and munching popcorn with our feet in the sand. Brilliant.

We dined at the Great Room once, and Bayside the rest of the time. We felt the Great Room was a bit too formal, stuffy and quiet. We would still dress up nicely and go to Bayside which had a better selection of food and a livelier atmosphere. Some of the live music there was really good. We also enjoyed the Cane Bar for drinks and a game of pool before dinner.

I cannot eat gluten, so the menu in Bayside was a bit limited for me, but there was still enough to keep me interested for the whole week, when we dined there pretty much every morning, lunch and dinner! The waiting staff always brought out gf bread for me, and if you asked the day before, the chef would prepare gf pasta for the next day. We were very happy with the food there. My only suggestion would be to have one or two gf options on the lunch menu by the beach/pool. There was nothing on that menu that I could eat, so we always had to go to the restaurant and sit down for lunch, when sometimes it would have been nice to stay on our loungers and have a snack there.

We loved the choice of loungers dotted around the pool, on the beach, and even on the grass. Very comfy double loungers. In late June, the place wasn't full, but not quiet either, but we always had a good choice of loungers at any time of the day.

The Spa!! Absolutely fantastic. We started with a couples massage with lunch, and then went another three times. Lovely surroundings and brilliant treatments. Not cheap but sooo worth it.

There's plenty more I could say but I'll stop now! Overall it was an amazing week, beautiful buildings and scenery, great facilities, friendly and professional staff.

I'd love to go again... but the world is a big place and there's so much to explore! If I want a week of pure luxury and relaxation then it will be very hard to say no to the Jalousie Plantation again.

Room Tip: Hillside with a plunge pool, privacy and great views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Good day,
Thank you for the very valuable feedback following your honeymoon at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are known for our world-class accommodation, facilities and the top-flight service that we strive to deliver to our guests. We are thankful that we had the opportunity to share this experience with you.
The Rainforest Spa is truly amazing and I am glad that you had the opportunity to make use of this peaceful and relaxing facility.
I am sorry that you felt that the Great Room was stuffy and a little too formal—a rare comment. We are pleased that you enjoyed the food and atmosphere at the Bayside restaurant.
Thank you for your comments about the limited selection of gluten free options on the beach menu. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our culinary team and ensure this issue is addressed for the enjoyment of future guests, and yourself, should you decide to visit again.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit in the not too distant future.

Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Me and my wife stayed four days in early December at Sugar Beach Resort. We were driven directly to our luxury villa where we were met by our butler Swamid who gave us a quick tour. Until you actually arrive here you have no idea about the views, pictures do not do this place justice. On the first day we thought we would walk to the beach, bad idea. About halfway there we called for a ride. We took the shuttle probably 25 times on our stay and they arrived from 30 sec. to 2 minutes after calling, never a wait.
The most impressive thing about this resort was the service, we have been to most of the islands and have never been so impressed with the staff. They truly want to make your stay perfect. They all seemed to know our names very quickly. Probably the only complaint I would mention would be the beach bars service, they serve the general public in addition to the resort and we didn't get the same service there. At any other resort I wouldn't have noticed this but they were so good it showed.
Dinners at the Great Room were very good. You really need to be on a meal plan here.
We did a couple excursions starting with climbing the Gros Piton. If you are from a cold climate like us I would suggest going as early as possible. The climb is not as bad as the heat and humidity. Take plenty of water. We also did a three hour whale watch. We only saw a pod of dwarf sperm whales at the very end of our trip, but the boat ride and views were worth the trip. Wish we had seen more though.
The beach and the pool were very nice and the remaining construction is a non issue at this point. All in all we had a great time, we spent a few days at Jade Mountain after staying here. Hard to compare the two resorts since they are so different, Jade Mountain was a once in a lifetime experience but when I return to St. Lucia Sugar Beach is where we will stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in unit #305. We had great views of both Pitons and the Caribbean Sea.
Good day,
Thank you for the very valuable feedback about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am happy that all of your expectations were exceeded and you had a wonderful time. I am pleased you enjoyed our amenities and accommodations as well as the relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our guests have stays that are fulfilling and memorable for all the right reasons and I am delighted that this was the case for you.
Climbing the Gros Piton is quite an adventure and I sure you were satisfied that you reached the top. There really is nothing better than being able to sit back in your sun lounge, look up and say, “I climbed that.”
I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for the slow service you experienced at the Bayside Bar. We are working hard to improve the timeliness of delivery and will be refocusing our training efforts in this area.
I will communicate your feedback to the entire team and, where appropriate , commend them for a job well done.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Eight days away from the frost and rain in another world.

Idyllic waterfront setting between the Pitons, with excellent facilities. We stayed in a beach bungalow (which we would thoroughly recommend), read in the shade of our own terrace each morning, and watched the sunset and the stars from our outdoor jacuzzi each evening. We sampled the sailing (three hobiecats to borrow), the tennis (two artificial grass courts up the hill which were in excellent condition, floodlit at night, with some shade by day), the large and lovely pool, snorkelling in the marine reserve below Petit Piton and the weekly outdoor cinema. We mostly ate in the open-sided beachfront Bayside restaurant - tasty food, weekly BBQ, nice temperature and a visiting young cat with imploring eyes! Our one trip to the Great House was spoiled a little by being inside rather than out (though we liked the food): when we discovered terrace tables were first come first served, we gave up as we were relatively late diners.

Butler service was very helpful without being intrusive (thank you Markenzie and Alston) - helping with dinner bookings, calls for the shuttles, replenishing the teabags, finalising late checkout arrangements, and arranging emergency plug socket repairs. And the golf-buggy style shuttles are needed - the resort extends steeply up the hill.

We resolved to return.

Room Tip: Beach bungalows mean that almost everything is just a short and level-ish walk away. (Luxury villa o...
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent visit to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are happy that you chose Sugar Beach and that you enjoyed all of our facilities, amenities and accommodations. I am also happy that you particularly enjoyed the barbeque dinner at the Bayside restaurant.
I will be sure to communicate your feedback to the entire team, especially the individuals mentioned.
Once again, your comments and business have been greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed a week at the Jalousie and could have easily spent the rest of my life there!!

Upon arrival we were quickly checked in and then escorted to our villa - what an amazing setting.

We love the Caribbean having visited many islands, and whilst I knew this place was between the pitons, until you arrive and see them in person, the pictures do not do them justice!

Our week consisted of what we call a "fly and flop" - we spent all day every day on the beach, relaxing, swimming and just generally recharging the batteries.

We did take a private water taxi up to Castries one afternoon which was great (the boat journey, not Castries) but have to say once you've been to one Caribbean island capital you've seen them all. We'd agreed with the boat owner to just wait for us on the docks and we'd be no longer than 2 hours....well I think we had 20mins in Castries before hot-footing it back to the docks to head back to the hotel. There is something majestic about heading back down the coast by private boat as the sun is setting, and rounding the corner to see those pitons!

The facilities at the hotel were great, and they couldn't do enough for the guests.

The only downside to being in this amazing place was that at least a boat full of tourists each day would arrive, to snorkel in the water at the base of the piton. It wasn't the hotels fault though, as I don't think they could stop them.

The next time we visit St Lucia we won't be staying anywhere else!

In a word....AMAZING

Room Tip: Make sure you have a hillside villa with plunge pool - the views are amazing
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Good day,
Thank you for taking the take to write such a glowing review of your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
It brings me great pleasure to know that you enjoyed exceptional service from the minute you arrived at the resort and that you were equally impressed by our location and accommodations. I am sorry that you felt disturbed by the non-resident guests using the beach and snorkeling area. All beaches in St Lucia are public and therefore we are unable to restrict access. However, we have created an area at the northern end of the beach with complimentary sun lounges and other facilities to encourage non-residents to utilize this area rather than venture further.
Once again, thank you for choosing, Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort as your vacation destination and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

First off I must say, this resort is the most beautiful place I have ever been in my life. Its very much like a rain forest, which attracts a lot of beautiful creatures and plants that I have never seen. The pictures on the resort website are truely what it looks like. It looks unreal. Our room was VERY clean. Its very bright and white, and is very graceful. The balcony has a plunge pool that is heated and is very nice to go in in the evening, looking over at the plethora of trees and the ocean. The island itself is nice, but having been to Aruba and st Kitts, its a bit outdated and dirty. Much preferred Aruba. There was some construction, which was a bit annoying but didn't bother me much. The surrounding pitons were very beautiful and the resorts location is spot on. Wasn't really a fan of the resorts set up though. The resort itself is actually on a steep incline/hill and is very large so if you get a room at the top of the hill, you have to take a shuttle down to the bottom where the beach and pool and restaurants were. Sometimes the wait for a shuttle was a bit long but it was worth it as the walk down is pretty long. The incline though was kinda a plus because it meant that you could see the whole resort from your balcony. This is an expensive resort, so be prepared for expensive everything. It was TEN DOLLARS for ONE chocolate bar. The pool was nice, loved the little hanging bed-type seats. The beach was also nice. There were lots of little frogs everywhere which was really cool and kinda cute. Left the resort satisfied but sad to leave. Would definately recommend this resort. All-in-all, loved the resort and would be glad to visit again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Good day,
Thank you for providing feedback following your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and that the courtesies and services extended to you positively contributed to a relaxing vacation. I am also pleased that you were satisfied with everything that we offered.
Please know that your comments and your business have been greatly appreciated.
On behalf of the entire team, we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

André Boersma

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!