“Quaint cottages with a beautiful view of the Piton” 3 of 5 stars

Hummingbird Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Anse Chastanet Road, Soufriere, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Soufriere
Pittsburgh, PA
“Quaint cottages with a beautiful view of the Piton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

This little resort is more of a B & B atmosphere than a resort, however the staff is friendly and helpful. This was closer to the Town of Soufriere than I would of preferred and the town people do harass you. It is centrally located to attractions sulfur springs, pitons, waterfalls and offers a taste of their culture. The food was excellent and made fresh so it does take time to prepare it. The accomadations are average, but the views make up for it.

• Stayed April 2006

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2006

While some might say that the rooms did not meet their expectations, I for one as well as the rest of the family and friends thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the resort. If you want top of the line rooms and amenities go to a high priced all-inclusive resort, if you value friendliness, cleanliness and hospitality go there.

The food was excellent at the resort, as were the meals we had in town. Yes, we walked into town during the day and in the evening. The people were always friendly and helpful (which really showed during an emergency). I never once felt threatened or uncomfortable walking in Soufriere. And if somebody bothered us, there were enough of the local people there to actually tell them to go away.

A heartfelt thank you to Joyce and her entire staff.

Stayed March 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2006

The Hummingbird Resort was, overall, a disappointment. While the food and the staff were great, we thought the beach was sad. Furthermore, the locals haunt you incessantly both on the beach and in town. It made me feel uncomfortable and detracted from the enjoyment of my vacation.

If you want to relax on a beach, don't stay at the Hummingbird. If you just want to experience the local culture, have a few cocktails with a view, it might be a satisfying place to stay.

• Stayed May 2004
Bigfork, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2006

Let me start by saying that anyone who tells you it only takes an hour to drive from the Vieux Fort airport to Rodney Bay is lying. Plan on at least 3 hours. The roads are windy and go from beach front to lush, mountain settings and back many, many times. It is a beautiful drive, however.

We stayed at the Hummingbird our first night in St. Lucia. I was expecting to spend about $150/nt. for an apartment style room at the Kimatrai Hotel, but after seeing what a DUMP that place was, we kept driving. We found the Hummingbird on our way to the Still Beach Resort which is literally right next door, but since they did not have a pool we chose the Hummingbird. I was not please to spend $180 for 2 rooms with a shared bathroom (shower only), no screens on the windows, no A/C (and it got HOT), no kitchenette or even a mini-fridge, no towels or even soap in the bathroom, and a room that was behind the grody looking kitchen. Basically, the room just had a bed.

But the view from #9 is FANTASTIC. This made up for the high prices and lack of facilities. The room has a fantastic view of the Piton (pronounced Pee'-ton), except for the cable wires hanging from the roof (see photo), and the pool area is beautiful as well. The grounds, while small, are very nice with lush tropical foliage all around and the beach which is just steps from the pool is actually quite nice and clean.

We went into the town of Soufriere looking for a restaurant and after finding only 1 that felt about 100 degrees inside and seeing too many St. Lucians standing around staring at us and making us nervous, we decided to go back an eat at the hotel.

The food is ridiculously priced and, while it wasn't horrible, it really is not good either. It seems that all over St. Lucia they use a frozen pea and carrot mix in everything. And I can't quite figure out their cuisine because the menus all look like no one there really knows hoe to cook. It was really wierd. I have never been so hungry after a vacation.

DO NOT GET THE DESSERT. We tried 2, a cheesecake that tasted like a gross jello blend and some kind of chocolate pie that tasted like raw cocoa powder.

Back to the hotel, the little tiki bar beachside was great and the bartender was very friendly, one of the FEW friendly people in St. Lucia. We found most people to be either flat-out rude, or just indifferent to us. I don't understand how this country thinks they can thrive on tourism when they are so anti-tourist.

Anyway, make sure you sleep under the mosquito nets. Our boys did not, and in the morning it looked like they had chicken pox because they had so many bites. And ask for a fan, the rooms get HOT even at night.

Overall, this hotel has a great view but it VERY OVERPRICED, especially the restaurant. For one night, it served our purpose. If we ever do go back to St. Lucia, which is highly unlikely, we would stay there again if in that area. We just would not have high expectations and would pack some food from home. I would have killed for chips and salsa!! :)

• Stayed January 2006
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2005

We were disappointed with the Hummingbird-we did not stay there-only went for breakfast and were astounded at the prices of mediocre breakfasts. I'm talking $20 US Dollars for french toast! I know island food can be expensive but we ate other places for less than half the price and the other places' breakfasts were much tastier. Pretty view, but don't waste your time(and money)!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2005

I stayed at the Hummingbird for a week in April. I booked a superior piton view suite in Feb. and was told when I checked in that my room was being seviced for a leak or something and that I would spend the night in a a/c room, garden view. I was not happy having made the res. so long before that and after walking around the hotel I noticed that there was no "leak", only a double booking. When I spoke to reception I was given a complimentary dinner, and told my room would be ready the next night. I was moved, to the beach view room. The room had no a/c and it is pretty hot at night, even though I was told the "ocean breezes" would be cooling. The are no screens only mosquito netting, but its so hot its hard to stay under the netting, and needless to say we were eaten alive. Also, we were woken up by roosters almost every day. The room was clean, the maid service came every day. The staff is VERY friendly and the food was good, (expensive) $18-30 per plate for dinner, and the kitchen is very SLOW. The beach is really ok, it has a nice view, but its much better to take a water taxi to the Hilton or anse chasnet beach, about $20-25 US round trip. Also, you are harassed by locals trying to sell you stuff on the beach. The pool at the Hummingbird is clean and again the view is great. Overall, I enjoyed my stay, but I'm not sure I'd stay there again. It is a more rustic lodging choice, it is one of the less expensive, smaller hotels on the island, its nice if you want to stay somewhere cheaper, even though the views aren't great in the a/c rooms, I'd probably get one anyway.

• Stayed April 2005
michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2005

Arrived with two children in tow. Our room had no screens and was very tiny for two parents and two children. We requested a taxi from the airport and there was no one there for us. The room had a shared bathroom and the bathroom had a rigged pvc handle on the toilet. Lizards were crawling around as there were no screens on our windows--just mosquito netting over the bed. My kids were eaten alive the first night. I understand some of the accomodations have screens and a private bathroom and do whatever it takes to make this upgrade! The small room was off the kitchen, and pots and pans were banging around all night and early in the morning. The roosters from the beach will wake you up in the am. We were promised a piton view room but we didn't get it. They did deduct this off the bill when we showed them a copy of the printed email from them. The beach is dirty and full of broken glass--this is NOT a white sand beach, but the view of the pitons is lovely. Restaurant is s l o w and the food is overpriced and tough to chew (literally). The drinks are yummy don't miss happy hour! The locals will HOUND you on the beach and in the city of Soufriere. Once the cab driver drops you off at the Hummingbird, he calls all of his cousins and they find you to sell their lava necklaces and other junk. They do not take no for an answer. The staff is friendly at the Hummingbird and while I don't plan a vacation for "the room", this was completely sad for a family. I can look back and laugh now, but it wasn't funny then. We were only there for two days and went to The Caribbean Beach Jewel in Rodney Bay, but that is another review, but the vacation began once we left the Hummingbird. They did have cable tv for those who cannot vacation without it. I don't know why they call it the Hummingbird Resort; hummingbirds were everywhere but after 48 hours, we could not find the "resort."

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Hummingbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!