“Lovely resort, fantastic staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Landings St. Lucia

You added The Landings St. Lucia to your Saves list
The Landings St. Lucia
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Pigeon Island Causeway | Cap Estate, Gros Islet CP5984, St. Lucia   |
Announcement
Condé Nast & AAA Awarded
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
New York City, New York
“Lovely resort, fantastic staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I just returned from St Lucia two days ago. We stayed a week Nov. 10 - 16. The weather was great, the Island was lovely. We stayed at the Landings, a condo style resort up north in Gros Islet. We had booked through "Luxury Link" which offered a Harbor Side villa, we were given a two bedroom, 2 1/2 bath ground floor unit in a three story building. The unit was beautifully furnished, with a full kitchen. It was very clean, and extremely well maintained. The large deck with private hot spa looked out onto a canal with private catamarans tied up. The problem was that it was so far from the beach, you needed to take a golf cart shuttle to get there. The beachfront restaurant for breakfast and lunch, and the three pools are also located there. I asked to be moved closer to this area, and was offered a first floor unit directly on the beach. The upgrade of $100US per night negated the savings that i had received by booking through Luxury Link, but it was worth the expense we felt. The unit was identical to the first unit, except we had a very large balcony with two lounge chairs and a dining table and six chairs, and no spa. There were ceiling fans in every room, very high end appliances in the kitchen, and beautiful furnishings. We really were impressed with the quality of the rooms. We mostly stay in Ritz Carltons when we travel, and these rooms were definitely a step up.
The staff at this resort were top notch, everyone is friendly, and gives you the "good morning sir" that I'm sure is a hotel policy. We have experienced it before, but at the Landings, it feels very sincere. The staff will stop and engage you in conversation, offer helpful hints, and just really make you feel welcome. The first person that we encountered upon arrival was a bellman named Noe, a genuinely nice man. He went beyond the basic niceties, and made us feel very welcome.
On the beach there was a guy, whose name I never learned, but every morning when we got to the beach he was there, always with a big smile, and interesting conversation. I came to look forward to chatting with him each morning. Even though I never learned his name, I'm sure that management will know who I mean, he has blond hair and an engaging spirit.
The restaurant on the beach serves breakfast every morning, which was included. The first few mornings is was a buffet, which included just about every breakfast item you could want, including many West Indian dishes. Stewed tuna, bakes, Creole potatoes, etc. There was a young lady that I feel I must single out for praise. Her name is Cherol, and we sat in her station for breakfast. What a doll! She told us more about St Lucia, from an insider's perspective, than we ever could have known. She was so genuinely sweet, it was a revelation to a couple of middle aged New Yorkers. The Landings is so fortunate to have a person of her caliber on staff. I'm surprised that she isn't on the front desk or working as a concierge, She knows the island so well and is so incredibly nice. I must admit that because of Cherol my wife and I really fell in love with St Lucia and the people of the island. Cherol saw us walking in Rodney bay one afternoon while she was running errands with one of her children, and offered us a lift. We were at the Gros Islet jump-up on Friday night, and Cherol was there, and acted like our tour guide, she and my wife danced, and she left to drive us back to the hotel. Really unbelievable that someone could be so nice.

The Palms restaurant is the higher end restaurant on the Landings property, the setting was beautiful, the atmosphere was lovely. There was a violin player playing romantic music. The service was also spot on. However, the food was not very good. the presentation was lovely, but we started with an amuse of avocado and bacon, but it was frozen and crystals of nice crunched as you ate it. It tasted like frozen bacon bits. Our appetizer of local grilled prawns was mealy and inedible, I think it may have been marinated in citrus, which destroyed the texture. We ordered the local lobster as an entree at $62US each, and it was tough and very difficult to cut with the knife provided. The attempt at fine dining was there, but they completely missed the mark.

A long winded review to be sure, but I wanted to give credit where it was due. Overall, we loved the Landings beach, rooms, setting, atmosphere, and especially the staff. And I would recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach are important, it is a very long walk to pools, restaurant and beach from some...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We visited the Landings last week after purchasing the all-inclusive deal on Living Social and spent 4 nights there. Our expectations were minimal being that it was on a living social, however we were absolutely blown away. The staff could not have been more accommodating and friendly and the resort itself if breathtaking. Our favorite server was Monique - she was fantastic!!

We upgraded our room from a harbor view room to a beach front room (which I would HIGHLY recommend) and our view was dazzling. The room was a 2 BR, 2.5 Bathroom condo with a balcony and a hot tub. The St. Lucians are wonderful and hospitable people and we felt extremely safe leaving the resort. We got massages (Natalie is unbelievable) and used the concierge to book a day trip on a cataraman (Called Jus Tango) and it was one of the best decisions we made. We spent time on their beautiful beach and watched the sunset from our beachfront patio. It is an extremely romantic atmosphere so if you're looking for a quite couples trip you have found your spot!

The one thing I will say is that if you are looking for night life this is not the place to be. The evenings are very mellow and there is not much of a night scene, which is perfect if you are trying to escape. The food is absolutely out of this world - you will not be disappointed!! It is, however, a bit pricey, so if you are a big eater/drinker I would recommend the all-inclusive.

Thank you to the incredible Landings staff for making our trip so special. We will definitely visit St. Lucia again and will not stay anywhere but the Landings.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a beachfront view room if you can - it is definitely worth it.
Northport, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Spent four nights at The Landings. Units are beautiful and staff is very attentive. Seems every time we left the room it was straightened when we returned. Beach is wonderful and property is so tropical and lush. Highly recommend for a relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: Don't want to be too far from the beach.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We decided to split our 10 days in Saint Lucia into two different hotels and I'm glad we did.

We started at The Landings - the hotel, grounds, beach were all stunning, exactly what we expect for St. Lucia. Our room was beautiful and close to the restaurant and beach (I'd make this a requirement otherwise you will be taking the golf cart or walking far).

We had our one year old with us and the beach couldn't have been better - it's flat with minimal waves and doesn't drop off, we literally could let her run around and not worry. They even have beach toys (shovels, buckets, etc.)

I tried out their spa, it was average, but a great price because they were having a fathers day sale(my massage was $60 for an hour - 1/2 price).

Where I was really disappointed was in the service and it ruined our experience - I wouldn't return and spend the money we did at this resort. We went in June (which is technically off season) and you could tell the resort was in a lull - I made a guesstimate of maybe 10 other rooms (and this is a HUGE resort). Maybe because it was low season that the service was bad, but I wouldn't expect consistency no matter the time of the year.

At breakfast there were on average 5 other people there with us. One day out of the 5 the waitress got our order right; once we waited 45 minutes for our breakfast (supposedly there was a mix up with the "other" table who came in 20 minutes after us...!?) Breakfast is included but ask about certain items as you order because they are extra but the waitresses don't tell you that they just bring a bill afterwards (lattes, cappucinos, bottled water). One day we decided we wanted to sit on the patio portion of the restaurant because you can sit anywhere you like, but the waitress informed us that it would be much easier on her if we sat inside ... there were two other tables but 3 waitresses, 1 buser and 1 bartender working. (?)

This restaurant was also the only restaurant available for lunch and supper - and it's the same menu. The food options were very minimal and if you are staying for more than 2 days, you were eating the same stuff over and over again. They have one other restaurant but it's only open on Thursday and Sunday for supper (it was very good and I would have eaten here more often but we came on Friday and left on Tuesday). Because of the lack of menu items and restaurants, we wanted to go into Rodney Bay for supper a few times; however, the hotel will not call you a cab, you have to use their driving service which is $40 (a cab would have ben $15).

Their room service charge is astronomical - don't order room service, go to the restaurant and get it to go. We were next door and could have done this, but we had just arrived and were beat from the flights. My sandwich, side salad, coke and kids mac n'cheese came to $60. There's a $10 fee for room service, and about 2-3 different taxes added to the bill. It was crazy and really frustrating.

The hotel also informed me that a rider to the airport would also be approx. $150 one way - we took a cab and it cost us $75.

On our last day we were changing hotels and could check in at 1:00pm at the new place. We asked if we could have a late check out (12:30pm) and were actually told no - because someone was checking into our room later that day and they needed to clean it ... I guess one of the other 200 rooms weren't available.

All in all, the hotel was beautiful, but it felt like it was trying to be a 5 star hotel but wasn't ready to offer the service. It was very expensive for was we got, I always felt like we were being milked for extra money where ever they could find a spot. It's far from shopping - I can't imagine what their car service would charge to go to Castries. Find yourself a good cab driver, get his card and call him for your tours and trips here and there. Calabash Cove (where we went afterwards did this for us and it saved us money and introduced us to a great individual who showed us around the beautiful island)

I would spend my money elsewhere ...

Room Tip: Make sure you are either on the beach or just behind it so that you are close to the restaurant and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Just returned from 11 nights at The Landings and had a fabulous time. My wife & I have 3 daughters one only 4 months old. We were upgraded on arrival to a 3 bedroom room and were given the waterfront property as requested. I would highly recommend the waterfront properties as so close to beach/pool/beach restaurant. For us it was ideal as having such a young child it we were virtually on the beach and made everything so much easier.

We went for the all inclusive package as with 3 kids under 7 we thought it best. When seeing the limited kids menu that involved chips in every meal we were a bit worried. Though the kitchen and staff were amazing, they would cook anything we wanted for the kids and they ate very well. Also noticing the kids tiredness they would take the kids order as soon as we sat down and bring the kids food when ready, one night the waitress even took our unsettled daughter for a 20mins walk down the beach as we were left to enjoy our food. I cant remember all names but they were all great, Tim & Sylvia especially.

The hotel itself is fantastic, gym & spa are like new, the room we had was not only large but very smart. We have been to a lot of Caribbean hotels were the decor is old and tired. This felt almost contemporary and was kept in very good condition. The kitchen was very handy and to have a washing machine & dryer was very helpful. Golf was less than 5 mins drive away and same for Rodney Bay where there were plenty of restaurants and shops if you needed anything.

It may have been nice to have a small shop on location for postcards, suncream etc but as mentioned Rodney Bay was 5mins away and was quite nice to pop out once or twice.

Great hotel and would highly recommend, we have been to the Caribbean 4 or 5 times and by far the best hotel we have stayed in.

Tips: Waterfront room esp if you have kids.

Room Tip: Tips: Waterfront room esp if you have kids.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lyle P, General Manager at The Landings St. Lucia, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed the option of our "all-inclusive" package. Thank you for your comments about our associates too. We are thrilled to hear that a Server made it possible for you to have a small break from your infant child during dinner. we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

A beautiful relaxing experience. The hotel itself is designed in a ways to show the best of the island. My kids 8 and 6 and a 1/2 had a blast. The pool and the beach are literally a stones throw from each other. The children were back and forth from the sea to the pool. A totally safe environment. Staff are super friendly and helpful. Lots of activities to do on the beach. Went sailing and went on the banana ride. Vincent appeared daily on the beach to give the kids a ride on his banana boat. The rooms are lovely and spacious . The only thing I found odd was no WIFi in the rooms. Only in the main area of the hotel. And at the restaurant on the beach. So that inconvenient. The food was good, but pricy. There could be more variety on the menu. We never tried the formal restaurant. Preferred toe at out every night. As we had rented a car and it was easy to drive into Rodney Bay which is not far at all from the hotel. And it made a change from breakfast and lunch at the hotel beach restaurant everyday. I would go back in a heartbeat. Slept 10 hrs solid in those comfy beds in the room . As for the Piña Coladas at the beach bar. Deeeeeeelish.

Room Tip: Get beach front the views are to die for.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great comments about our "super friendly and helpful staff". we take great pride in going out of our way to delight our guests. Thank you also for your comments about our food. i have shared with our F&B team for their review. Love that you enjoyed our Pina Coladas too! Please come back for another one soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We checked out of our room, 721 with views of the beach and Gros Islet, yesterday and arrived back today after a 12 night stay. We watched fantastic sunsets from the idyllic beach which was clean and well cared for, as were the well manicured gardens. We are a family of 4, with 2 sons aged 13 and 12.

We were on the All Inclusive plan and this proved to be great value for money. The food was excellent and we were offered a varied menu all to a very high standard at both the Beach Club and Palms. Our youngest son has a Severe Egg Allergy and his numerous requests to staff for mashed potato and bacon were never too much for them to deal with. Upon Checkout the bill was spot on and people have no need to worry. We chose to give tips to individual staff at the end of our holiday rather than adding them to the daily bill to avoid any discrepancies at checkout..

All of the Staff, Sherol, Rose, Tim, Benjamin, Sylvia down to the maintenance guy Lampkin, to name just a few provided a very friendly and genuine service. Nothing proved too small for them to deal with.

Spotless, very well appointed spacious 2 bedroom apartment, was finished to a high standard and had great views.

We would recommend that people go on "The Martinique Splendour" trip from Rodney Bay Marina which is less than 5 minutes from the Hotel. We also made use of the Hotel Shuttle Bus into Rodney Bay and Charles the driver proved to be a very informed local guide.

We found St Lucia to be a beautiful, safe, friendly Island and we would highly recommend the Landings. We would have no hesitation in staying there again on any future trips.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lyle P, General Manager at The Landings St. Lucia, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
WHAT A GREAT REVIEW - THANK YOU!
We appreciate the details description of your stay with us. Thank you especially for calling out the associates who made a special difference. We always share the comments and our staff are thrilled to be mentioned. One last thing; come back soon. Thank you from all of us.

Been to The Landings St. Lucia? Share your experiences!