“perfect get away, wouldn't have it any other way...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Landings St. Lucia

You added The Landings St. Lucia to your Saves list
The Landings St. Lucia
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Pigeon Island Causeway | Cap Estate, Gros Islet CP5984, St. Lucia   |
Announcement
Condé Nast & AAA Awarded
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Tobago
“perfect get away, wouldn't have it any other way...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed at The landings for 7 nights from the 4th/08/13......I must say i was very impressed and wouldn't have done it any other way for my 1st vacation away from home. The staff i came into contact with were very polite, professional and very courteous. From check in to check out i felt very special and right at home. On arrival was greeted and checked in very promptly and was driven to my room in a small cart. On arrival to my room i was given a brief tour and left to settle in.. It was very pleased, it was more than i could have asked for. It was a ground floor, two bedroom harbor view, just behind the beach front block, steps away from the pool and beach club restaurant. In the afternoon the sound of crickets could be heard all around, a sound i hadn't heard in a while, it was so serene and peaceful. I was able to meet one of the hotels cat, my companion named Lucia, on the beach i saw the man who came in every morning to sell fruits, which we didn't have need to purchase as the hotel offered fruits at breakfast. The tall elderly guy who made ornaments with wire for the guests. He is not attached to the institution, just wonders on the beach. The breakfast was great but one can get tired after eating in after a week. however i did enjoy breakfast at the beach club. The landings was everything i hoped for and all the good things i read about. Security was good as they were found at the front gate and on the boarders of the beach we were able to meet them one after noon we decided to walk back to the hotel from the village. Perfect getaway as my companion and i didn't feel the need to go out as we had every thing we needed. Thanks to the staff at the front desk Jesse,Corina, Ravi and others. House keeping Sophie and Marie. The restaurant Ophelia and others. Definitely will return some time in the future.... Maybe for a wedding.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyle P, General Manager at The Landings St. Lucia, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
We think it is wonderful that you experienced St. Lucia on so many levels. "FRUIT MAN" is a staple in our every day. The few Artisans who come to our beach are never disruptive and exceedingly respectful of everyone's privacy. Thank you also for mentioning several of our associates. St. Lucians are among the most wonderful people in the Caribbean. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
North Plainfield, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife, 2 children and I stayed at The Landings resort from August 24th through August 31, 2012. We took a St. Lucian licensed taxi from the airport to the resort which took 1 hour 45 minutes and was charged a fare of $90US. The taxi stopped at the supermarket in Rodney Bay on the way so that we could load up with groceries before we entered the resort. Upon entering the resort, we were warmly greeted and received fruit punch drinks while registering with the resort. My family was assigned Room # 203 which was a 2BR/3 bathroom (1 full, 1 shower only and 1 half bath) ground level beachfront villa. The villa was spacious, luxurious and modern with 3 televisions, dvd player, radio, full kitchen (including plates/flatware), dining area, walk-in closet, laundry machines, patio and jacuzzi. Unfortunately, there is no wifi in the villa. The resort does provides free laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent and there are 2 umbrellas in the closet so you do not need to bring these things. The resort does not provide toothpaste. My wife called the front desk because she thought she forgot to bring toothpaste and was told the resort does not provide it and does not have a shop on the premises. The beach which was just a few steps from the patio was fine, the water was calm/transparent and chairs/umbrella were easy to secure. The resort provides a free shuttle 3 times a day to Rodney Bay so you can explore without cost and purchase items to bring back to the villa. The resort is also within walking distance of Pigeon Island Park so you can also explore this site without spending money on a taxi. The resort also included a free full breakfast during the length of our stay which helped with costs. Despite the above, I must give The Landing resort a mediocre rating due to a lack of caring, poor service and lack of professionalism among some of the staff which I've detailed below.

The Beach Bar restaurant at the resort was the location for the free breakfast buffet each day. We are a party of 4, but the waitress always brought us to a table with only 2 place settings and only 1 or 2 seat cushions. The waitress would then start walking away and we would have to ask her to provide seat cushions for all of us. This produced a slight rolling of the eyes or a smirk from the waitress which we noticed and it was rude. The restaurant also has a lot of flies in the dining area. This is an outdoor restaurant and you can expect some insects, but there are a LOT OF FLIES at this restaurant. The flies are already hovering over the table BEFORE you sit down to eat. There were so many flies hovering over some tables that it literally looked like a ball of flies just waiting for you to sit down. You couldn't comfortably enjoy eating your food and having a conversation because you are constantly waving flies from your food. We would sometimes ask for another table than the one presented because there were too many flies on the table. We were rewarded with "eye rolling" and then brought to another table. Poor service. There was also A BIRD EATING THE FRUIT THAT WAS OFFERED AT THE BREAKFAST BUFFET. The restaurant staff did not make any efforts to wave away the bird that was in PLAIN VIEW. One guest at another table just laughed as I got up and waved at the bird after taking a picture. It's not my job to wave birds away from the buffet food, it should be the job of the restaurant staff. There are 3 cats that roam this restaurant during breakfast. The cat or cats will come to your table and rub against your leg while meowing for some food. Someone placed a saucer of milk on the floor near one of the tables occupied by guests and the cats lapped it up. If you have no issues with cats or allergies, fine. If you do, this restaurant is not for you. The resort imposes a mandatory 10% service charge when you eat at this restaurant. It is at your discretion if you want to provide an additional tip. If a waitress was nice to us at breakfast, we left an additional tip. If the waitress provided poor service, we left no additional tip.

There were some issues with the housekeeping. I was wondering how mosquitos was getting into the unit despite the windows and doors being closed tight. We went to our villa after breakfast one day and saw the front door left wide open and housekeeping working inside. Housekeeping didn't notice us entering the villa and we could have easily entered the bedrooms and taken items out of the room without housekeeping knowing anything. Housekeeping also left the sliding patio doors open while they were cleaning the patio. We asked housekeeping to keep the doors closed while they cleaned the unit and the next day we came back to our villa after breakfast and found the doors left open again. Later that evening, my children saw a gekko running around their room. We also asked housekeeping to replace the seat cushions for the patio chaise lounge because we recently noticed that it was full of mold and mildew. Housekeeping removed the moldy cushion, but did not bring a replacement. The next day I went into the hallway closet looking for something and found the moldy cushion inside the hallway closet. Housekeeping took the cushion full of mold from outside and placed it in the unit, let us think the cushion was removed and did not provide a replacement cushion. I demanded that housekeeping remove the moldy cushion (which they did), but they told us that there wasn't another cushion available for us. That statement did not ring true to us and housekeeping didn't care that they place a moldy cushion inside the unit for all of us to be exposed to.

We also had an issue with the groundkeepers that were working around our villa. We couldn't enjoy using the patio for over an hour because the groundskeepers were doing landscaping work and using our patio as a staging area to bag debris. We waited and waited and noticed that the groundskeepers were NOT WORKING. They were inviting people from the beach onto the landscaped area around our patio so that they could provide coconuts or calabash for them to drink that they cut open with a machete. Meanwhile, in the front of the villa, a groundskeeper was working (or appeared to be working) on a landscaping night light. I say "appeared to be working" because he left his tools spread out all over the front of our villa, but he was no where to be found. My wife called the front desk and asked the name of the owner of the resort and the email address for the owner or the company that owned the resort so we can email a written complaint regarding what was going on here. The front desk would not provide any of the information requested and told her that complaints had to go through them. My wife asked for an appointment with the manager and she was told an appointment was not necessary and she could come to the front desk right now. Fifteen minutes later, I walked to the front desk to see the manager and was told he was not available. The people behind the front desk, who indicated they were "agents", told me I could speak to someone in charge named "Aschelle". I explained to Aschelle about the issues with the groundskeepers, the moldy cushion that was still not replaced and other issues regarding the villa. I also showed her pictures I took so she can see for herself. She indicated that she would respond to these issues. The groundskeeping people vanished, but she never ever followed up with us to see if things were okay.

During our stay, we called the front desk to get quotes on how much it would cost to take a taxi to various restaurants around Rodney Bay and compared them to quotes we received calling taxi companies directly from the phone book provided in the villa. Every single time, the taxi quote from the front desk was higher than calling the taxi company directly and the spread between the two quotes increased rapidly the farther you would travel. For example, the front desk quoted us a price of $150.00US for a taxi to take us from the resort to the airport after we check out. We called Serenity Vacations/Tours and they charged us $89US to take us from the resort to the airport. During the ride to the airport, they answered questions and provided a history of the area which felt like we got a private tour thrown in for free.

On one of my last nights at The Landings, I was up late at night in the living room watching a movie called "The Gray". I got up from the sofa to get a drink and I nearly had a heart attack because when I got up I saw a dog on the patio just staring at me through the patio glass doors. I walked closer to the doors to get a better look at the dog and I almost had a second heart attack because the dog suddenly stood up on his hindquarters and his front paws landed on the glass! I looked for a light switch for the patio, but the patio did not have a light source. I tried to take a picture of the dog, but it was too dark for the camera. I could only make out that it was a skinny dog that had a dark or gray coat.

The resort has a kids club, but we found it very limited when we inquired about it. We called the front desk and asked for information about the kids club. We were told that the club was not free and there is a charge of $5US per hour per child. We asked about the activities available at the kids club and we were told that we had to speak to a lady who runs the kids club. We asked to be transferred to her and we were told that she does not have an office. We were told that we could find her by walking around the resort and look out for her. I indicated that it was not practical for us to really wonder around the entire grounds of the resort on the hope of seeing her. Sometime later, we received a call from a lady who indicated she runs the kids club program at the resort. We asked for an activities sheet and what things would be available at the kids club today. We asked her about several of the activities that were cited on the resort's website, but we were told every time either there was not enough children for the activity or the activity was not currently available. We asked her what was available and she told us that playing in the sand, making sand castles and arts/crafts were available. My 10 year son is very active and a good swimmer. We knew he wasn't going to be into "sand castles" or arts/crafts. My daughter might be interested, but most of things available at the kids club we did already for our daughter on the beach so we passed on the kids club.

The resort has a gym. The front desk told us the gym was available 24 hours a day so you could exercise at any time. The hotel also has a spa, but we did not use the spa during our stay.

If you stay at this resort, I would recommend not staying on the ground floor because that might allow you to avoid some of the issues we encountered. Overall, the resort is a pretty property on the outside with some luxury touches, however, the resort on the inside suffers from poor service, some staff that are uncaring, a lack of professionalism and some mold.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront room, but do not stay on the ground floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is truly a wonderful place that exceeded our expectations. On our arrival we entered the airy lobby and my wife and I were offered a rum punch, while the kids were given fruit punch. We had booked a beachfront room and the receptionist confirmed that it was very nice. We were stunned, however, by how luxurious it was. There was marble throughout, a fully modern kitchen and 2 and 1/2 baths. But the most pleasant surprise was spa on the back terrace, where you could soak and relax with a view of the beautiful garden and Rodney Bay.

A private path let to the hotel beach, where there were plenty of lounge chairs, and a staff ready to serve drinks and snacks. There was also plenty of recreational equipment like snorkels and kayaks that were covered in the room rate.

The restaurant had a different buffet every night, with fish night being particularly good. You could also get some tapas selections by the bar if you wanted lighter fare. The wait staff were consistently helpful and friendly.

We were also very pleased by the excursion packages offered through the concierge. The offerings were diverse and reasonably priced.

We would definitely return to the Landings and have enthusiastically recommended it to many of our friends.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, pay the extra for a beachfront room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We love your opening sentence - that we exceeded your expectations. We take great pride in encouraging our associates to "delight" our guests. Thank you also for your complementary words about our restaurants and the service. Lastly, thank you for mentioning to your friends. It really makes a difference. Best regards from all of us at The Landings.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We decided on The Landings for a 'rest and recuperation' holiday this July, and paid a significant premium for a five star luxury hotel treat. On arrival we were told that the 'fine dining' restaurant - The Palms - was closed for most of the week, similarly the Viscount bar, meaning we had only one bar/restaurant option for most of the week- The Beach Club. Not a good start and something we should have been told before payment was taken. Our suite was upgraded, and the rooms were excellent quality, but we quickly noticed there was no mini-bar, and tea and coffee making facilities were not available. We made complaints to the hotel management, but were disappointed to find that we had to spend far too much of our precious holiday time chasing them to get what is fairly standard in a three star hotel. The General Manager seemed to take our complaints seriously, but his staff seemed rather indifferent. It transpired that the hotel had only just begun to offer an all-inclusive option, and they are simply not geared up for it. There were some valiant attempts made to offer us compensation - two restaurants outside the complex to compensate for the lack of options, but overall we were disappointed that such a lovely venue was let down by poor service - this was especially the case at breakfast time.
In reality, this was a self-catering condo set-up masquerading as a five star hotel. Our advice would be to avoid the all-inclusive option, because as a self-catering destination this would have been just fine. The staff and their low level of professionalism mean that a lot of work must be done to get up to the standards of a five star hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a Harbour view room. The beach view rooms are expensive and you should avoid rooms too near t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyle P, General Manager at The Landings St. Lucia, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Landings for your summer holiday in "Simply Beautiful" St. Lucia.

We are very happy that you enjoyed almost all aspects of your stay with us.

We have some of the most professional and caring associates not only in St. Lucia, but possibly in the entire Caribbean as well. Overwhelmingly, our reviews of service received are exceptional.

Sorry you did not enjoy our all inclusive offerings. You and I met often, and the extent of our offerings to you were exceedingly generous. We feel that we did everything possible to remedy your concerns. Many guests who have chosen the all-inclusive plan have been thrilled with our food and beverage offerings.

Just one clarification; The Landings is a luxury resort, which also offers freehold villas for owners or lease-back villas as well.

Thank you for choosing St. Lucia and the Landings, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Lyle & Team
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Visited The Landings in October. Despite the hour and a half ride from the airport, The Landings tirned out to be one of our favorite vacations. The rooms are spectacular! The beach is picturesque. You feel like you are in a James Bond movie! Food was excellent, especially The Palm. Service is warm and friendly and Lyle, the manager, made you feel like you were at home. Going back in a few weeks. Can't wait.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lyle P, General Manager at The Landings St. Lucia, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your stay with us....so pleased that you found everything "spectacular, picturesque and excellent" While can't take credit as a "James Bond" setting, we are thrilled that you felt as if you were. Please e-mail me direct if you would like anything special for your next stay. info@landingsstlucia.com
georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This will be a somewhat mixed review, but honest. My husband and I travel extensively around the world and chose the Landings as a last minute weekend getaway to play golf and celebrate 20 years of marriage. Our initial encounters were fantastic! Gus picked us up from the airport and I don't think we have ever had a better driver. His car was spotless and he was extremely knowledgeable. WE had such a great time that we booked him for an entire day to show us around! When we arrived at The landings, everything is just as shown on the website the place is beautiful and the staff was great! We were upgraded to a 3 bedroom corner room right on the beach! Marvelous. We booked all of our activities with the concierge (Aschelle) who did a fantastic job. She arranged our private sailing tour, and chef to come to our suite and cook for us on the night of our anniversary! Everything was perfect; the food was to die for. Thanks Chef. Every meal that we had on property, exceeded our expectations. Breakfast was the most fun, because the staff became like family to us. We always looked forward to the banter during breakfast. We both had several spa treatments and the ladies in the spa took great care of us. Lena and Valencia were sweeties. The spa is adequate, not great.

Now for the not so good. During our stay I contacted the manager about a necklace that was missing from my room. I was told that I would have to come down to the lobby the next day to speak with security. I set a time, and made a report. I was not overly concerned about the necklace it was a cheap costume piece that I purchased for 35-40 dollars, no big deal. I just wanted to make them aware. Here is the disappointing part, no one every followed up, are asked if we located it. There was absolutely no concern. Security was passive at best. I felt confident that I would have at least received a letter from management…..NOTHING. Here is the good news, I did find my necklace it had lodged in an inside pocket in our luggage! So there was no loss.

Overall our experience at the landings was A++. Thanks again to all of the staff that helped make our stay great. I

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us. Thank you especially for your great comments about our staff, service and accommodation. Sorry that we weren't as attentive as we should have been about the item you thought was missing. We are glad that you found it. I am unsure who you spoke to when you thought the necklace was lost, but we have discussed it with our Leadership Team and are sure that a similar situation won't recur. Thank you again for your comments. We appreciate all the positives and note and accept your concerns too. we look forward to welcoming you back and making sure that your next stay is perfect. Best regards from all of us at The Landings.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Very nice hotel. Great service. Beautiful view (if you're on the beach) and a wonderful room (we rented a furnished condo).

They have some really nice real estate. You wake up and walk to the beach...that simple. The food is not that great and quite expensive. However, I think the Brits loved it as it has mayo in almost everything.

You're better off driving about 10 minutes into town and eating at the local restaurants as they have really good food.

Now here is the bad news: of the 3 of us who stayed at the 2-bedroom condo, one of us got severe rash on her body because of bed bugs. Really disgusting. It's a shame that a nice resort of this caliber would allow this to happen; a simple, thorough wash of the lined would solve this problem. So, if you're going to stay at this place, you may want to take your own sheets just to be safe.

Room Tip: Get the rooms that are on the beach. The views are amazing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. Sorry that we didn't hear about your stay while you were staying with us. We don't have bed bugs. Sometimes guests mistake sand fly bites as something else. Our pest control program is rigorous and has never found a bed bug. Thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to The Landings St. Lucia? Share your experiences!