“On the water” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Caribbean, European, Eclectic
1iowahawk
“On the water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The food was good but a little pricey. The drinks were Great! The location is a little different as you are off the beaten path in a cove-like area but it was a nice atmosphere.

Visited April 2013

80% Recommend
Corrales, New Mexico
“Our best meal in St Lucia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

i read a review by a tripadvisor member-reviewer that called The Edge Restaurant Bar & Sushi the best restaurant on the island so i sent an email requesting a reservation and asking for the recommended table, #33. Chef Bobo - as he is known by everyone with whom we spoke about the restaurant - emailed back confirming our reservation and that particular table and recommending we come a bit early for the sunset. Seeing it would require a three minute walk across to the other side of the area but he suggested we just take a glass of wine along and enjoy the spectacle before dinner. He also said coming in on the water was truly spectacular and highly recommended. Given the cost of water taxis, it was also costly but you know, it was our first visit to the island and we don't get to the Caribbean every day....

Unfortunately we picked a poor day to do this. Mid-April, with a month and a half to go in the dry season - which up to that point had been exceptionally dry - and yet the dry season ended the day we arrived on the island. Mostly during our 11 night stay in St Lucia it was a matter of scattered showers with just two really rainy days. It rained the Friday morning of our trip but was sunny and pleasant when we set off in the water taxi from the Anse de Chacon, about a nautical mile and a half south of Marigot Bay and 4 or so south of Rodney Bay where the restaurant is located.

We had to drop another couple off in Marigot Bay and the visit there was marvelous. As we left Marigot, in this small boat with a smaller canopy kind of just behind rather than over us, it began to rain and it rained rather hard just about all the way up to Rodney Bay leaving us completely soaked to the skin and also making the water a bit rough which had a bit of a toll on our backs the next day from the hard bumps with the waves coming at us from a bit to the left all the way up.

The weather did clear as we reached Rodney Bay and the long, slow passage into, around and through that quite extensive yacht harbor was quite lovely. We finally docked right at the house which houses the restaurant. We were earlier than we had thought so we set out to take a walk around, to blow dry as it were. The temperature was quite comfortable so the rain ultimately was no serious problem in the end. Sadly Chef Bobo was away the week we were there so we didn't get to meet and chat with him. He actually has three restaurants there - the Edge, subject of this review, the Fire Grill which we passed on our walk and which got praise from local people with whom we talked, and also Starfish Deli and Noodle Bar. There is a website: www.eurobbean.com.

Even without Chef Bobo's presence, our dinner was excellent. We were greeted upon our return and found Table 33 quite easily. The restaurant sits open and overlooking the harbor. At the water end is a railing that extends the length of the restaurant - except for in front of Table 33. The staff pushed the table to the edge of the restaurant deck and there we sat. There were torches along the railing and one at the point where the railing ended on either side of our table.

The table setting was simple and elegant - a ginger flower, a conch shell - well, i took a picture and i'll include it with this review.

The meal was truly excellent. It began with two amuse-busche (can that be plural?). They were both excellent. i chose an excellent seafood soup to begin and my wife had the organic greens salad about which she raved. The greens did indeed taste like they had just then been harvested from a local garden and the dressing was light and about perfect. For dinner i had the catch of the day (lobster for its preservation - thank goodness - was alas out of season at that time) and my wife had the rack of lamb. Both were superb. i couldn't resist the chocolate sample for dessert - five different approaches. My wife, who is allergic to chocolate, nevertheless couldn't resist a taste of this and that and agreed they were all outstanding. Cocoa is an island product so i suppose it figures. The dark chocolate desserts - cake, mouse, etc. - were just as good as dark chocolate ought to be but my favorite was a lighter chocolate mouse - the one in the middle of the five.

The wines by the glass - her's chablis, mine a burgundy - were also quite good as was the port and double decaf espresso to complete the meal.

Yes, it was expensive. But on an island where so much at the resorts and tourist area is costly it was worth the trip and the meal. In my mind, you work to plan for a vacation to keep it within reason whatever your budget but once you're there, if you want it to indeed be as special as you had hoped, you make up your mind to do things and you don't worry about it while you're there. The Edge falls into that category. It's just fun to add one place or thing on a special trip or vacation that makes it truly special. We still talk about our dinner at the Special Table our travel guide and agent Laurel Samuela arranged for us at the Villa Mahana in Bora Bora - see separate review - but this was an excellent meal and a fun highlight of a very memorable vacation on what is our favorite island in the Caribbean.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Making Magic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

It was a special day that The Edge made into a special night. Friends of ours decided to renew their wedding vows after 10 years of marriage aboard our yacht. Whenever we showed up at the restaurant with the "new" bride & groom in their wedding attire, the restaurant sprung into action, transforming our table into a wedding event with chair covers with bows, glitter, special flowers, etc. All this while complimentary champagne was sipped!

The food was perfect, very artistically presented, delicious. The trio of ceviches not to be passed on!

Thank you to The Edge...simply magic!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Norwich, United Kingdom
“A bit pricey, but excellent food and service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I turned up at the Edge with no booking, quite late on my arrival in Rodney Bay at the end of March. The staff were very accommodating and helpful. I was given time to choose a meal without being harrassed, even though it was quite late on a sunday evening. The food was delicious and although it seemed sparse, it was very filling as well as tasty. The staff asked me if I needed anything at reasonable intervals, such that I felt they were helpful, rather than intruding on my meal. It was a very nice experience. The setting was beautiful. Special thanks to Stacey and John who sorted me out on my arrival and to the waitress, whose name I am ashamed to admit that I can't remember, who looked after me well. I do not normally write when I have a good experience, but I felt the last few reviews did not reflect my experience of this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lockerbie
“Good food shame about the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Sits on the rver with an impressive view but at night as you would expect there is little to see. Initial impression was positive as it is a very good lookng and well laid out restaraunt. Shortly after sitting at our table it started to rain and we were getting soaked as we were sitting at the water's edge. We had to go and ask if the rain covers could be put down and what followed was simply comical. Two members of staff trying to lower the covers into place, one end going the other going down clearly they had not done it together before. They reappeared about 20 minutes later and tried to lift the covers even though it was still raining. We had to protest to have them kept in place. The rain continued and we had to ask to move tables whch simply meant our table was pulled a few feet away from the water's edge. Other tables were moved at the same time but the glasses were not removed prior to this and they ended up spilling all over the floor. Our food was certainly a work of art and very and very enjoyable though as expected the portions wee small. Service was poor throughout and serving staff were often nowhere to be seen. The diner at the table in front of us was standng and shouting for service but still none came. I asked for a cappuccino to end my meal and what I got was awful. It was so full it was running down the sides filling the saucer. The saucer was wiped but I was left with the cup with the coffee stains all down the sides.
Fine dning this could well be, fine service it is not.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere