“Never Stay at an Almond Resort.....You will be very disappointed!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St. James's Club Morgan Bay

You added St. James's Club Morgan Bay to your Saves list
St. James's Club Morgan Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Choc Bay | St. Lucia, Gros Islet, St. Lucia (Formerly Morgan Bay Beach Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
WINTER VACATION 40% OFF!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta GA
“Never Stay at an Almond Resort.....You will be very disappointed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

This was the second time we stayed at an Almond Resort. The first was in Barbados and we figured that we give their newest resort a try......and we sure wish we didn't. Upon our arrival, we had to wait thirty minutes for someone to take us to our room. I was suffering from motion sickness due to the rough one hour drive from the airport and needed to lay down, but still, they took their time. Our room was on this big hill which was torture to walk to the center of the resort. The resort claimed to have a "buggy" service which was a joke and we walked everywhere and was sore everyday. We had dinner reservations set for our first night and my fiance only packed shorts. That was a problem because the restaurants claim to have an elegantly casual dress code where men have to wear long pants. My problem with this was that some people were wearing jeans and flip flops to dinner which is NOT elegant nor casual, and that was okay. They gave us grief about him wearing shorts which were below his knees and were linen. The manager on duty gave us clearance for dinner that night but insisted that my fiance had to get a pair of pants the next day or he could not eat dinner at any of the restaurants. Not very hospitable at all considering that they already had our money. The next day we had to go to Rodney Bay to shop for pants for a 6' 5", 300lb man which is very difficult on a caribbean island. We get back to the hotel room and the manager on duty left us a message stating that they took the liberty of getting some pants custom made and that they were $160 dollars. The only thing we ask the manager to do was find some stores that carried big and tall sizes. When I informed them we did not need the pants that were made, they got mad with us. We were not paying for pants we didn't ask for. The room was okay but the cleaning crew could not clean at all. Our floors looked like they never were swept and one day, the cleaning lady only left one fresh washcloth and there was three of us staying in that room. I had to call down to housekeeping for washcloths and they left they fresh cloths outside our door in a plastic bag. Breakfast was absolutely nasty. The bacon was raw and greasy EVERY single day we were their. The fruit was left out for flies to feast on and the condiments were in open containers which allowed the flies to feast as well. I got sick of eating omelettes everyday because all of the other choices were hideous. Breakfast was even worse if you got down there late. The omelette lady was running out of ingredients and was using cheese that sat out for the whole duration of breakfast. She even made my fiance get his own ham off of the cold cut table for his omelette, which was sitting out. The Palms restaurant where the breakfast buffet took place had bird crap on the chairs and you always had to keep checking your glass because something was always floating in the water. The dishes were always dirty as if they didn't even clean the glasses or plates. The Bambou restaurant was okay but nothing to brag about due to ripped up seats and more bird crap and dirty dishes. The Morgan's pier restaurant was a joke. They try to charge us for a piece of charbroiled, dried up piece of steak and they were supposedly out of soup but the table next to us seem to be eating soup. We were so upset with the food that we only ate on the resort twice during our 7 day stay and ate at outside restaurants. The beach was a joke. It look like it was two feet long. The sand looked like dirt and the water sports equipment made the shore crowded. The pools were dirty and the kiddie pool area looked like it had mildew everywhere. The bars were so dirty and they all didn't serve alcohol. Overall, the resort was very ran down to be only three years old, the restaurants were not elegant at all, it was as if you were dining on a farm with dogs,cats, birds, and flies present. The beach was not pretty at all and as far as hospitality, you will not get it there. The guy driving the buggy refused to take us to our room and it felt like when you asked someone to do something, it was like pulling teeth. Everywhere you walked you smelled smoke because anyone could light up a cigarette anywhere and totally disregard the danger of secondhand smoke. Bad service, bad food, bad experience. We WILL NEVER GO TO AN ALMOND RESORT EVER AGAIN! Don't believe the brochure and don't believe the hype. Stay away from Almond resorts. They are 0 star resorts!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,359)
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

My partner of 10 years and I stayed at Almond Morgan Bay, where we were also married. We stayed 7 nights in a beach front room. The room was clean and well kept daily. The view was amazing and everything we hoped for. The food was very good, but you must make dinner reservations the first night you arrive for the week! They book fast! We had a fantastic time, all went off well with one problem! Our wedding photos!
The availability of watersports was excellent and the adult pool was a great idea, quiet and secluded away from all the bustle of the kids and families. The entertainment was quite family-orientated, but pretty good.The tennis courts were of a good standard, however the gym equipment could be doing with an upgrade. We were a little disappointed that the beach was on the small side, but the water was ideal for swimming in, as it was shallow for a fair distance.If you're someone who likes everything at their fingertips and fancy sitting in the sunshine with a drink, this is the place for you.It's not ideal for people looking for a more active holiday, as I wouldn't consider it to be very safe to head beyond the resort outwith a planned excursion.
Everything went well except for our wedding photos. We read somewhere on Tripadvisor that a couple thought that it would have been better to have given their camera to their son to take the photos and we feel the same way. The resort photography was lousy!!! To add insult to injury, the gentleman who took our photos was from England so I thought a bit confident that I would be getting some good photos to take home based on what we had been reading about the photographers at the resort. That ruined our holiday!! The photos are extremely expensive and just plain....and expensive! - certainly not what you would expect from a professional wedding photographer. My advice to anyone getting married at the Almond Morgan Bay is to book a photographer from outside the resort and not entrust your precious memories to inexperienced people carrying cameras. (Cannot refer to him as a photographer)
We went on Joys Adventure Excursion. It was great. To see the Pitons so close was amazing! The excursion also includes the drive-in volcano. It was very interesting, but smelled very bay. We took one other excursion to the Rain forest. We took the half day trip but we were disappointed with that trip. You had to take a hike into the forest. You had to watch your step because it was slippery and rocky, so you couldn't look around to much. The waterfalls was beautiful. If you do this trip, bring old tennis shoes. You'll need them for a sturdy shoe and a good posibility of getting them wet. You have to walk on a path of rocks through the water. The guides will help you and alot of people just walked through the water. The food at the resort was great. Always a great variety. We loved the resort and will go back again. We also met many, many wonderful people from England. We really had a great time with them and am sure that we will have new friends for life. Feel free to e-mail us if you have any questions.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Northants
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

Me and my partner stayed here for 5 nights this month. The rooms are a nice size and clean, but the whole resort looks as though it could do with a lick of paint and freshening up. There are a number of restaurants to dine at, my favorite being Morgan's Pier which extends out into the sea and serves amazing seafood. All of the restaurants have fantastic menus and food. The only negative point is that service is incredibly slow and we had to ask a minimum of 4 times for tea and coffee in the morning. We are quite laid back people, but it really did start to annoy us.

The service at the pool bar and sunset bar are also incredibly slow, often we would walk to the other side of the resort to get a drink as it would be quicker in the long run. The other holiday makers were also getting really cheesed off with it and it didn't conduct a very nice atmosphere. The service at the Plum Bar was great and the staff were very funny and kind. It is also where the kids pool is situated, so believe it or not, me and my boyfriend spent all of our time there and almost always had the place to ourselves as the children in the resort all went down to the adult pool.

The hotel was only a 3rd full when we went but it still seemed very busy, I can imagine that it's heaving when its full. I just hope they employ extra staff at those times!

Whilst in St Lucia we did the Pitons and Volcano tour and horse riding through Virgin, both of which i would recommend. My partner also did scuba diving which he had no problems with. We also took a taxi into Rodney Bay and went for a meal and drinks, which was a nice evening out. It's full of locals at night so it was a great atmosphere. I also used the spa within the hotel for a massage and facial which i would recommend.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

The list of things that went wrong is endless but just to highlight a few: No alcohol at breakfast, steak and shrimp cost extra, no drinks in room, had to pay for water when gift shop is closed, pool closes at 6..that's not even sunset, no premium liqour, no drinks on the beach, no snorkeling, horrible cusotmer service. This is an extremely limited resort and not what i consider high quality all inclusive. Very disappointing especially for the amount of money that was paid.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

28/4/09 - 8/5/09. This is very large resort with great potential. However before flying out I checked with Almond resort office in the UK, they confirmed how brilliant the resort is and that they serve only premium drinks and really top class cuisines. This was not the case, the resort is never a 4-5* as stated. I would not score it more than a 2* You have to book each night for the restaurants and only two restaurants were open each night. The food quality was very, very poor, the food taste like pre-packed food that's warmed up in a microwave. The menus are limited and the same dishes turned up at all the restaurants and they just gave it a different name. There were no premium drinks I had to request it. When it did arrive they water down the drinks, how poor. I complained several times they apologised brought a fresh bottle, but next day that too was watered down. Birds fly through some of the restaurant most mornings and droppings were evident on fans, fitting and in the corners of the restaurants. The room was not bad, but we were in the new block. They gave us fridge with nothing in it, there was no mini bar so if you want a drink you had to buy it from the shop or go down to the bar, not good for all inclusive. The older rooms were poor and in need of a complete re-furb. The resort could do with a make -over. Entertainment not good, it was the same people every night and you saw them rehearsing during the day. The staffs were nice, but limited in what they can do due to Management rules. The beach is small and not very nice.
I am happy for hotel representative to contact me or anyone planning a trip to this resort. [--]

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Victoria, British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

I am a wedding photographer and stayed here (the couple stayed at Sandals) and witnessed a few weddings on the beach. First of all, I had read some of the reviews and was prepared for the worst... however, I actually ended up having the time of my life. The view from my balcony was amazing and I was really happy with the food. I'm a vegetarian and there were lots of options. I much prefered the a'la carte restaurant style to typical buffet-style restaurants you find in all-inclusives. If you have mobility issues, this resort is NOT for you. If you can't climb a flight of stairs, don't stay here... but if you are okay with stairs (my room was a few flights up a cliff), you'll be rewarded with fantastic views. The resort itself had so many photogenic areas for wedding photography that I wished the wedding was held here instead of Sandals... which was too large and the backgrounds too bland for wedding photography. If you are having a wedding here, I would suggest asking for the most *private* place they have. A wedding on the beach may sound nice, but you'll get bikini-clad beach-goers watching the entire thing. I saw a few on the beach and it was not at all private and I'm sure very distracting for the couples. They have a pier (morgan's pier) that you can probably use for your ceremony (and reception)... choose this! I'm attaching a view from my room, plus a couple of wedding photos from around the island in case you're interested. You can find the wedding online at http://photos.christinacraft.com/ShaunaCraig

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I recently had to go to St. Lucia for a conference and my wife and I booked this hotel for a four night stay in advance of the conference. We booked towards the last minute and received a great deal. I was surprised at how nicely the hotel is maintained. The grounds are well manicured and our room was large, clean and comfortable, with a great view.

The beach is nice and there were ample beach chairs and enough space that we were not right on top of other guests. The beach is not good for snorkelers because the water is cloudy in this bay. We went diving with Scuba Steve (fantastic) for two days and can attest to the fact tha the water elsewhere in St. Lucia is crystal clear. I think there is a bit of current which produces enough surf in this bay to dust up the water.

The staff were for the most part friendly though it seemed we had to be friendly first. The desk staff were mostly accomodating, but didn't seem to care that the internet really didn't work. The daytime bar staff were not particularly friendly.

The food. The food is mediocre to average, but keep in mind the cheap prices you're paying. Eat up at breakfast because it's the best meal you're going to get. Breakfast ingredients are cheap so an all inclusive can wow you at that meal. Different story at lunch and dinner. The fish dishes were by far the most disappointing (considering we're in the Caribbean). The restaurants don't lack for culinary talent because the dishes were well thought out and it seemed the chefs did well with what they were given. They were just given old, bad ingredients. Oh, well. You get what you pay for. Same at the bar--most of the bartenders can make a decent drink

The food did not sour our experience--we shrugged it off and enjoyed ourselves because for the price this hotel was a great deal.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!