“Very friendly resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. James's Club Morgan Bay

You added St. James's Club Morgan Bay to your Saves list
St. James's Club Morgan Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Choc Bay | St. Lucia, Gros Islet, St. Lucia (Formerly Morgan Bay Beach Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
WINTER VACATION 40% OFF!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kelowna, Canada
“Very friendly resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed 4 weeks in Jan. 2014, was a gamble because if we did not like the resort we were stuck there but it paid off. The staff made the resort for us.
It is an older place showing age but looks clean and cared after as well as you can. We were in the beachfront rooms and were completely happy after getting moved away from the 700 block beachfront rooms to the 600 block because of the noise.
Check-in was a breeze except on the form they wanted my email address not and unreasonable request but for the matter that the hotel hides their email address and there is no way to contact the hotel directly by email, I put a request on social media for someone to supply me with this information and was given the general managers and the customer service's email address, I sent two emails to each one with no reply, so I left that blank on my form.

Beach was small and water was far from clear with discharge from a small river near the resort.

Our favorite restaurant was the Palms buffet the staff were always helpful right from the staff that seats you to the great people cooking your food, the chefs made sure they had time to come out and meet the guests they were cooking for as well answer ?. It was always a great
start to the day to see Danielle prepare my eggs perfect every time with an genuine smile. Michailena was always just a smile away with staff like Sarah, Sharma, Laura and my favorite chef Rene along with many others working there to make our stay enjoyable. My only problem was the garbage birds sometimes it felt like I was eating in the bottom of a bird cage.
We found the entertainment staff fantastic Madrina and Jaffrey were always around to get us involved in something, there was a good variety
of entertainers and I liked the fact that the resort gets involved in the community bringing support the children as well as adult organizations.
My favorite dinner was at the Bamboo, chef Andy did lobster like no other I have ever had, with a million $ view on the beach it was hard to not go every night, sadly the lobster was $32.00 xstra and the rest of our foursome had a hard time finding something they wanted on the limited menu. I did have 2 lobsters and should have went for a 3rd.

The Pier was my least favorite restaurant , went 3 times and was disappointed with the service and food 3 times although our server Brigette did manage to make one night enjoyable even though our game hen was raw inside.

The Tree Top was a surprise with good food and service that is coming along, lots of staff. Allison was our favorite employee there.

The staff that worked the lobby and front desk as well as bellhops were fantastic and were always very helpful.
We took a few tours but our favorite one was with Leo who works at the resort, one day we wondered up to the lobby and asked about someone to take us out for the day a young lady named Karry called the motor pool for someone but it was middle of the day and everyone seemed out with guests, so she called Leo and he came and took us on a fantastic tour of the area, great day. Thanks Karry and Leo.

We always had good loungers on the beach with a fantastic view and shade if wanted, also a bonus was Carmel aka 29 who kept us with cool drinks. All in all the staff and guests we met made our holiday one
to remember in a good way.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what type of room you paid for and demand it if they try to give you a lesser roo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,295)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

During our stay, true we had a few showers but once the sun was out it was boiling!! Wear factor 20 at least and do not use oil - well at least not on your first day...
The food is great - 6 restaurants with plenty of choice - prepare to put on weight!
I was ill the first few days with germs from the flight - all staff were fantastic in that they offered rum based cures - excellent and completely worked!
All the people there are great even those down at the market in Castries - such lovely people. We can't wait to go back - definitely a place i would recommend and have done to all family and friends.

• Stayed January 2014
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We chose this hotel because we had stayed at the sister hotel in Antigua last year. Quite a different experience and felt it was not as good value. We were disappointed not to be allocated the requested beachfront room on our arrival and although we were upgraded to a junior suite we could not see the ocean at all! We were re-allocated a room the following day (Ocean View) which was perfect - we could hear the waves crashing on the shore all day and night which was awesome. Once we had settled to a completely different experience we had a great time - all the staff are friendly; the atmosphere was happy and the choice of food in all the restaurants was very good - particularly at Morgan's Reef. We were disappointed in the evening entertainment - down to bad, distorted, sound systems rather than the 'performers' - St Lucia Police Band were fantastic. We felt the island trip we chose was not good value - this was not organised through the hotel - and after hearing about Joy's trip from the beach, we wished we had chosen that one!

Room Tip: We were in 500 block which suited us perfectly - a little quieter with wonderful ocean views.
Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Needs updating, but this can be said for most of the hotels in the Caribbean.
If you are looking for an idyllic beach front location as we were you may be disappointed.
The beach did not live up to our expectations, packed in sun loungers, designated swimming area, no crystal clear blue sea, you can not see the bottom! I think the beach may have been extended to accommodate the hotel thus making it feel unnatural & man made. If you want to relax & listen to the natural sounds of waves lapping on the shore then be prepared for noise pollution. Every day at 1100 there is a water aerobics class for an hour, loud dance music and hollering! Following that there is constant music playing from one of the bars, on a repeat loop may I add. Then on to the beach the noise continues with the entertainment staff screeching out for "beach volley ball" every afternoon! I understand that all inclusive resorts have to cater for the masses and this is not our time visiting one, however I felt that I was on a daily conveyer belt. Not everyone wants to hear loud pumping music all day long and be confined to where they can swim. I just wish I had been advised of this to allow me to have made an informed decision. I don't want to be completely negative about St James, the staff were absolutely lovely & helpful. There was always a "hello" & a smile every time they walked passed you. The hotel was also always spotless. The food had much to be desired for, we ate in all the restaurants and were not impressed by any. I would of liked to of eaten more local, fresh food, but most of it was deep fried & bland. The day before checking out they offer an option for $50 to keep your room for a late check out. As our flight was late evening this was great for us, however the reception staff just said "sorry its needed for an arrival" So why give us the option! The hotel was not at full capacity so I feel they could of accommodated us, by maybe offering another room on the same floor? So we had to pay $20 to use a shower room which just turned out to be an unoccupied room! If you want constant entertainment, quantity over quality food, feel like your in just another all inclusive then this is a great hotel of those needs. If you want a taste of St Lucia then think again!

Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

This was our first time at an all inclusive, and while I'm not sure it's for us, St. James Club was a great experience all around. We stayed in the 1200 building up on the north hill closest to the water and next to the Hilltop pool, which was an ideal setting for us. We loved hanging at this tucked away pool at the end of the day, having cocktails, watching the sunset, and taking our final dips of the day. There are lots of activities -- I especially enjoyed sailing the Hobie cats and the "morning stretch" class -- and terrific excursions (we did the rainforest canopy ride). The swim-up pool is a decadent blast. We were happy to have restaurants to choose from -- and really enjoyed the new pizza and pasta "Treetops" and "Morgan's Pier" for its setting out over the water. The other restaurants do a good job, but I preferred the non-buffet meals. Fish dishes were very good -- steak not so much (think about where you are -- and try to eat local). We wished that there were more traditional local dishes. Rooms are very clean, and comfortable -- but of course, we were outside as much as possible, trying to soak up the warmth before returning to Boston. Evening entertainment was fun, if not always excellent. My one wish: that the pools were open beyond 6pm. I like night swimming, and I don't understand why the pools were off limits. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The best part of the resort was the great mix of guests -- from many different countries. We made some great friends that we hope to travel with again in the future! We had a terrific vacation!

Batley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful break at St James' Club in Morgan Bay, St Lucia; we booked the holiday in UK with Caribbean Classics and had read Trip Advisor Reviews; the Island and the hotel exceeded all our expectations and after three great weeks we could have stayed much longer.

The resort is in a wonderful situation, with a beach that is well maintained and plenty of sun beds; each day someone quietly cleaned the beach for our enjoyment. The resort feels safe with a good level of security to give people confidence about their safety. The G4S staff was very pleasant and professional.

In all aspects the resort is well served by the excellent staff - all were friendly, courteous and concerned for our enjoyment. Whilst it is invidious of us to mention them by name - and we will have missed people out or got their name wrong, but we will under the different sections below express our thanks as we did on the customer questionnaire. Anyone who thinks that the staff at the resort or the people of St Lucia are not amongst the friendliest and most helpful in the world probably needs to consider their own attitudes to people.

The grounds and gardens are well cared for and colourful and well maintained.

We enjoyed our first evening and breakfast in The Palms Restaurant - the service is buffet style but drinks are regularly topped up. However, after our first meals we tended to visit the a la carte restaurants. Unlike most resorts we have visited booking was a most pleasant and friendly affair; the person handling our bookings was polite and helpful and there were no long queues.

In Bambou the food was well prepared and presented by the catering staff. We ate most our breakfasts and lunches here as we enjoyed the chance to sit close to the sea and the wonderful waiting staff. The supervisors and hostesses were all helpful and tried to ensure that we sat in seats with a view. Nadia, Ricardo, Rachel, Simon and Natalie were there much of the time; Nadia even addressed us by name as we came for our meals. We were served attentively by so many staff for whom nothing was too much trouble; these included Julianna, Euphomia, Mary, Maura, Irene, Anthony and Jamil - we hope that Gertrude is feeling better. The buffet cooking, each breakfast time, was enhanced by Agnes and the other cook, their daily greetings, good wishes and their first rate omelettes!

Morgan's Pier another favourite situation - what an excellent idea to make it a restaurant! We enjoyed our many dinners there. From the start of the experience the team are interested in you and your requirements. Drinks are offered and topped up, orders taken and served. The kitchen staff is visible and work hard to provide a delicious and well presented cuisine. Again all the staff are team players who work hard to promote the restaurant. We particularly would like to mention; Simon, Wilson, Yanika and the charming hostess.

We enjoyed our experience in Le Jardin where the steaks are truly delicious and cooked to individual requirements - we ordered them medium rare and medium and that was what we got - well done indeed. Again all the cooking, presentation and staff were world class and would grace a real French restaurant. Barrington is a wonderful maitre'd and all staff deserve praise - especially the pianist, who creates a wonderful atmosphere.

We enjoyed Tree Tops where the Piazzas and Pasta is so good, the Knickerbocker Glories are positively gargantuan - we only had a half on our second visit! The staff worked tirelessly especially on the evening when, inexplicably, The Palms was closed!

Our room was well maintained by Regina - such a charming and quiet lady; our only complaint about the wonderful room was the damaged shower rail and tap - obviously a previous guest had swung on them! Our complaint about the lack of hot water in the early evening was attended to. The beds were very comfortable. The view from 1133 is stunning and well worth the climb.

The bar staff were helpful and willing and attended to our requirements. Tommy's Bar is well situated for a drink on the way "home" to Block 11. We soon made friends with Caramel, Chocolate and Passion Fruit who work so hard on the beach.

The water sports is a great section. I enjoyed my time with Peter, Sean and John; they taught me the basics of the Hobbie Cat and encouraged me to sail - especially when I capsized and they rushed to rescue me!

The excursions from the resort are very good; including the cruise from the beach. We also visited Rodney Bay & Pigeon Island using the local bus service - cheap and a chance to meet the locals. The spa is provides a good service.

Overall it was a great holiday - we are missing the woderful resort so much. We would recommend the resort and your island to all who ask us. Our only real disappoint was that we did not get to see any real Caribbean dancing or shows at the entertainment stage. We did like the local band and school dancers but we have seen shows in other resorts featuring amazing dancers.

Room Tip: Roooms in Blocks 10, 11,12 are quieter, have great views and marvellos sunsets, but are a climb and...
Tonyrefail, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

we stayed in Coconut Bay last year which is south of the island and were gutted when we could not get in this year, so decided to try St James. We were not disappointed and would choose this hotel over the other. The trek up the island is the downside and took two hours as ther is only one road up and some parts were badly damaged over the xmas period The resort is well maintained, rooms are spacious, clean and in excellent condition. The nightly entertainment is the best i have experienced in the caribbean with a mixture of groups, singers, disco and dancing. Choice of either laying by pool or beach, excellent watersports and activities at the resort. Food in all restaurants is excellent only criticism is breakfast whilst there is an enourmous choice i like the simple things like alpen or bran, of which there was neither and the milk supposedly semi skimmed was too creamy! Tip if you are a vegetarian, they have a seperate menu with lots of choice however you need to pre book your food when you make a reservation at one of the restaurants. Would recommend eating at the plum tree bar and grill for lunch, order service at the table. Staff all through the resort were helpful and friendly. My daughter who is 9 years old was the only child attending kids club but they still carried out the daily planned activitiesad she had a fantastic time, best kids club we have been too. They did tennis, crabbing, lots of craft stuff, even watersports, a special thankyou to Travis, Zania, Shana, Tracy and Simona.
My only real criticism is the gym, i am keen to train even on holidays but the gym is too small and only has one cross trainer and one treadmill which was out of order, however this ia a personal choice. Overall a fantastic resort which i would recommend to couples and families and look forward to returning to in the future.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!