“If you didn't like this place there's no pleasing you” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. James's Club Morgan Bay

You added St. James's Club Morgan Bay to your Saves list
St. James's Club Morgan Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Choc Bay | St. Lucia, Gros Islet, St. Lucia (Formerly Morgan Bay Beach Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
WINTER VACATION 40% OFF!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Certificate of Excellence 2014
SK
“If you didn't like this place there's no pleasing you”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed Feb 3 to 17, 2013 and enjoyed almost everything about this resort. Arrived at UVF after dark and had a 9 seater plane pre-booked to SLU so as to avoid the long ground transfer. All went smooth and took waiting taxi the five minutes to Morgan Bay. Greeted warmly upon arrival with a welcome drink and after the customary paperwork, were taken by golf cart to our rooms.

After a fortunate encounter with a very helpful Transat rep while booking, we were reserved in building 300 on the top floor. No need to fork out the extra cash for ocean front as the views from this vantage point gave you an almost 180 degree view of the ocean. Some people below like to be bent over and gripe after the fact I guess.

The rooms themselves were very traditional Caribbean decor. Whitewash with white wicker furniture, flat screen TV's, high ceilings, sparsely decorated but with newly finished bathrooms. Deep tub, good toilet and plenty of hot water. Small balconies but enough to enjoy the early mornings and sunsets and to enjoy a cigar. For those with mobility issues, there are no elevators and from the pools to the third floor of building 300 was a bit of a hike. I enjoyed it as it gave a chance to burn off the evening meal a bit.

I cannot believe some complain about the food here. There was no reason to go hungry whether at an ala carte or the buffet. There were certainly dishes that did not appeal to me, but that's the nature of trying to please hundreds of palletes; you aren't going to hit every ball out of the park. Breakfasts were consistant (other than they don't know how to cook bacon), lunches were varied with the taco station a crowd favorite, and dinners had a wide variety of meats and vegetables. The fruit at all meals was mouthwatering; you can't get fruit like that in Canada in February. Only complaint really was you had to keep your elbows up in the corners to defend your space. (Canadian hockey fans will get that).

The ala cartes were not hard to book, even with the resort at near full capacity in our second week. We like the later bookings so maybe it was harder to get the first sitting of the night. We did not try Jardin but others who did said it was worth the extra money. Bambou was good but we found Morgans Pier to be the best. They accomodated all requests. Plum Tree was good for light snacks and afternoon bites to tide over to dinner. Yes, not all items on the menu were available. Oh the horror.

There was security all around and never felt unsafe at any time. The entertainment was bordering on the ridiculous some nights but they did have a good band one night, and a steel drum band that was pretty good. Karaoke was atrocious but I applaud the people brave enough to get up there. Bottom line, if you're looking for the resort to entertain you, well that's just sad.

Nothing else novel to add. Joy's Tours are worth every penny. He's a bit intimidating at first, but his family runs a top notch tour company. They get what travellers want to see. If you don't want to line up for drinks all day, bring a Bubba Keg. For the most part, the employees are very friendly, and I can honestly say that the vast majority of St Lucian people are a delight to interact with.

Will I return to this resort? Probably not as there is a big world out there to explore. Would I recommend this resort to any first timer? Absolutely.

Room Tip: Top floor building 300.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,294)
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Air Canada dumped us here when our flight was cancelled. The room was ugly and I saw 3 insects before I put my suitcase down. This is the type of place where I would want my own sleeping bag. The decor was tired and dirty. The food in the buffet should be called cafeteria style. A tough, overlooked hunk of roast beef with vegetables that were overcooked and sitting onthe steam table for hours. a dinner roll that could have broken a window, it was so stale. Terrible check-in experience. Perhaps because we were last minute guests, they were not prepared for us. If I showed up here and had to spend more than one night, I would cry. To be fair, we probably had the worst room in the place. Other people on our bus had spent their entire vacation here and really enjoyed it. They must have been staying in a different part of the resort,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MorganBayStLucia, Manager at St. James's Club Morgan Bay, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,
I would like to thank you for taking time to write out your experience while with us. Your comments are very much appreciated, although they are most concerning. We understand that there is no better learning tool for us than direct feedback from all of our guests. Trust me, when I say we take your feedback very seriously and will make every effort to learn from your experience.

With respect regarding your claim of insects in your room, our company has a very thorough pest control regimen. Our grounds crew and maintenance staff work very diligently to ensure that this is never an occurrence. Unfortunately, even despite our best efforts, an open door or window may present a rare event when an insect may access the property.

We are very disappointed that you perceived your stay to be so poorly, especially as it relates to the food experience. This is not what the standard we strive for, and we understand that food is always an emotive subject as ones person's feast may be another person's famine. All the guests comments during the time of their stay rated the food as excellent or good. So this comes across as a shock, because some comments show: e.g. “The food and atmosphere is great”, "The food was good!" , "We love the food at Bambou!"

We are sorry you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Our staff work very hard to serve every guest as best they can and we are disappointed that you did not feel your needs were met. We sincerely hope you will come back to visit us again in the near future, so that we may try to change your mind about St. James's Club Morgan Bay.

Warm Regards,

The Staff & Management
St. James's Club Morgan Bay, St. Lucia
Penticton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I went to Morgan Bay Dec 5 to Dec 16. When I booked this trip I was unsure of the hotel, reading the reviews made me question this choice. I checked this site everyday to see if there was a new review. I found that the negative reviews were not indicative of the resort. We had an excellent time. We were never hungry, the restaurants were great. We ate at all of the restaurants at the resort and we rather enjoyed the Palms, never had to wait to eat. After a long trip when we arrived at the hotel our room was not ready but staff took care of that quickly. The room was beautiful. We chose a deluxe beachfront room and the view and sounds were excellent. We requested a top floor room for the ceiling heights and great views. We went on Joy;s Cruise, which was a great day of touring, we also went to the Street Party this was a lot of fun as well. We did the Casino night I didn't not enjoy this tour as much as the Poker table were closed and people smoke in the Casino ewee lol! We did go ziplining a tour booked through the hotel,which was quite amazing with spectacular views. And my absolute favourite was the whale and dolphin watching....there were so many dolphins and it was great. I would return to this resort in a heart beat. We had room 646 the extra cost was well worth it! I am open to any questions anyone has and if you need to see pictures of anything if I have some I will share with you. I was so sad when we had to leave our stay was too quick..next time I will book a longer stay.

Room Tip: We were in room 646 we did not hear any noise. We kept the window open to hear the waves at night. W...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

After seven hours of travel from US we jumped off the plane and 20 mins later jumped into a helicopter $165.00 us each. The sights were great but a little pricey for the 10 minute trip. landed at the third airport of the day grabed a taxi and off to the Hotel 10 minute ride $20 US.Got to the hotel which reception was empty (great no waiting). We were driven to our room by golf cart , 300 building. I told the driver this wasnt going to do, We are staring at the roof of another building (600 building). Wheres the Ocean...? So the driver Mcneal was great he showed us a couple other rooms. Finally we decided to upgrade to beachfront additional $500.00 US. WOW a little steep for a small out dated room.
Heres the ten days we stayed bottom line.
(The Good) We were right on the beach near the towel/water sports hut,close enough to bars and pools etc.but not to close to hear alot of noise. Seafood (Lobster)at the pier resturaunt Good but a $30.00 US upgrade per person,Ok were on vacation. Bamboo food for dinner was good and the View was GREAT. We didnt do the La what french name, $27.00 US upgrade per person and we didnt see anything good on the menu. We mainly ate at the buffet for breakfast food was the same everyday (bland) but eatable. Go to the kids pool for lunch if you want something different, fish sticks, hamburger, hot dog etc. Joys tour was GREAT we spent the day boating, eating, snorkeling,Mud bath,waterfall,Pitons,(twin peaks) bat cave and checking out the island, WELL WORTH THE $100.00 US per person, if you do anything try Joys tour. Water Sports was good at the resort all the guys working the water sports were GREAT always helpful and FREE water sking AWESOME. There are four pools here two main, One kids pool way up on a hill at the corner of the resort and one way up on another hill at the other corner of the resort, this one is more of an adult pool with AWESOME views.
(The Bad )
No internet Cafe, No Room Wi-Fi, really it's 2013 you will have to go to the lobby for internet service. NO beverages in your fridge in the room, NONE...Not Even bottled Water, Even after a $500.00 upgrade C'mon people. Service at the bars slow mostly alot of the bartenders are more concerned about socializing and doing there perscribed work.I drank mostly beer during the trip. Pa'ton beer made locally was good BUT always warm and usually flat. If theres any night you dont want to be at the resort it's on thursdays, they have kereokee and its painfull.
We went to Rodney Beach, basic beach,Spinnikers is a nice beach bar, I had the lobster (price varies daily) but it was good.
Also get some people together and go to the street party on friday nights, it's diffently something different and worth seeing, There are street food vendors everywhere.
(The Ugly)
Beautiful Island in every way But this island will nickel and dime you to death if you leave the resort.$75.00 US to get from airport to resort 1hr.15 mins. WOW, and hang on to your boxers because some of the roads are washed out so in some areas its one lane and usually at the top of a mountain. Dont look down or you will freak.or helicopter shuttle $165.00 US each. They fit six people in one helicopter $ 990.00 US WOW it takes 10 mins. and he goes very slow.
The Locals are always a barder system like most islands. Lets not forget the $500.00 US beach front upgrade, which I might add cost me $500.00 US the day we got there and then they charged me another $500.00 US when I checked out. I didnt figure it out till I got home, so when I called back to the resort I was told they always do that to see if the card is good...WHAT.?
If you need phone service $ 1.99 US a minute.The Beach was Nice and always clean but theres only about 500 to 600 feet of beach thats it. So if your into long walks on the Beach forget it, this is not the place for that.
Well I hope this Helps If so please mark this review HELPED so other travelers will read the real Deal...

Room Tip: Rooms 300,400,500,600 are facing the beach But usually a $500 us Upgrade.The rooms are small and out...
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just returned from a 1 week stay in beautiful St. Lucia ( Feb. 11 to Feb. 18, 2013)
The resort is beautiful ! Very clean and excellent service! The staff is very responsive to needs and extremely polite.
Food was fresh and a good variety. A good selection of restaurants. The entertainment was fun and a special thanks to Kenneth who kept everyone happy!
We stayed in the 1100 block that overlooked the ocean and where we were treated to a gorgeous sunset each evening. The rooms and service were beautiful. Very clean and nicely decorated. Room staff were very accomodating... thank you Valery !!
Excurisions were easily booked and information was readily available. If you get a chance, take the boat cruise with Joy. They do a wonderful job for a full day of exploring and entertaining.
Looking forward to another visit to this beautiful resort!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean and to the west are very beautiful. A fullview of the resort and amazing sun...
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed at St. James for 3 nights. We arrived at around 4pm, checking in was quick since no one else was checking in, but our rooms were not ready. Rooms not ready at 4pm sounds a bit unacceptable to me but we only waited about 5-10mins and during that time we were busy booking our excursion. We were greeted with a yummy cocktail and front desk staff is very friendly.

Rooms are clean and spacious, we had a small balcony that overlooked the garden and some of the ocean. Resort grounds are clean and well maintained.
Pools are big and one with a swim up bar. Plenty of chairs to relax and sunbathe.

Wifi, only found in the main lobby and pool lounge bar. It works pretty well but only in these areas nowhere else will you connect to wifi.

Beach was pretty, not too big but I've seen better. Sand is soft and clean, waters are greenish but there seems to be a lot of seaweed. Most of it is taken out of the water and left on the sand. Plenty of chairs on the beach as well. Different watersports are available, I only tried jetski so I dont know the prices for the other sports. You can negotiate and probably get 1 jetski for about $40 USD.

Resort entertainment, no clue. We left the resort at night to either castries or Rodney bay where there are plenty of bars/restaurants/clubs to keep entertained. This is about 10min car ride away, cabs cost $15 USD to get there.
Every Friday night there is a street party in Gros Islet, good music, drinks and food. We had a good time, only thing is be careful with your items since locals also mingle in this party with the tourist. Although everything seemed safe and there are cops walking around you should still keep an eye out.
Few clubs/bars near by in rodney bay called Turbulance and Delirious were pretty good.

Resort food I was not impressed at all, I only tried morgans pier for a very late dinner and the palms. Morgans pier was delicious (need reservations), the palms which is the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner was not good. Dinner was very bland, we left the resort to eat instead. Breakfast was okay, decent omelette. Lunch was better. One thing we did not like about the palms was waiting to be seated. Its a buffet, people should be able to grab their food and sit just like many other resorts I've been too. If you are not taking my order or serving my food why must I wait to be seated when there are plenty of seats available?? Many others complained about this as well, didn't make much sense.
you need reservations for all other restaurants, so call in advance. They automatically make a reservation for you at the palms the first night. Since our stay was short, we didnt have a chance to try all the other restaurants. There is also a mini bar/restaurant with a small pool called the plum tree, had some very yummy fries there but thats about it. Also ordered some mac and cheese and got something that looked more like spaghetti and didnt even taste good.

We booked one excursion with the hotel, called sea breeze I believe. Catamaran takes you to the mud bath, pitons, some snorkeling, etc. about $100USD each person, NOT WORTH IT. Take joy cruises instead, you can find them on the beach they are not part of the hotel. I had read reviews on them and they are much cheaper. I didnt find them at first and since we lacked time we just booked with the resort instead.

the main airport is an hour drive away. There is a helicopter you can arrange for $165 usd each instead of driving. Cab is $75usd.
smaller airport is 10mins away from hotel.

St lucia sunsets are amazing and the resort has amazing views of it.
I would stay here again, I will just be more aware of what to eat or not eat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jamaica, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This resort deserves high praises for it's location, culinary variety and an awesome staff. My husband and I enjoyed our vacation immensely. Plant and aviary life are everywhere. Reasonable tours of the island are offered but no pressure. A small designated beach area is just a few steps away. Pools are cleaned regularly and the activity staff offers a variety of things to do throughout your stay. There is nightly entertainment offered but in most cases a leisurely walk after dinner was preferable. Children and families are welcome although we traveled as a couple. I recommend that you travel with comfortable shoes for walking as this resort has many hills and valleys throughout the property. I'm looking forward to my next vacation at this property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!