Stayed Feb 3 to 17, 2013 and enjoyed almost everything about this resort. Arrived at UVF after dark and had a 9 seater plane pre-booked to SLU so as to avoid the long ground transfer. All went smooth and took waiting taxi the five minutes to Morgan Bay. Greeted warmly upon arrival with a welcome drink and after the customary paperwork, were taken by golf cart to our rooms.
After a fortunate encounter with a very helpful Transat rep while booking, we were reserved in building 300 on the top floor. No need to fork out the extra cash for ocean front as the views from this vantage point gave you an almost 180 degree view of the ocean. Some people below like to be bent over and gripe after the fact I guess.
The rooms themselves were very traditional Caribbean decor. Whitewash with white wicker furniture, flat screen TV's, high ceilings, sparsely decorated but with newly finished bathrooms. Deep tub, good toilet and plenty of hot water. Small balconies but enough to enjoy the early mornings and sunsets and to enjoy a cigar. For those with mobility issues, there are no elevators and from the pools to the third floor of building 300 was a bit of a hike. I enjoyed it as it gave a chance to burn off the evening meal a bit.
I cannot believe some complain about the food here. There was no reason to go hungry whether at an ala carte or the buffet. There were certainly dishes that did not appeal to me, but that's the nature of trying to please hundreds of palletes; you aren't going to hit every ball out of the park. Breakfasts were consistant (other than they don't know how to cook bacon), lunches were varied with the taco station a crowd favorite, and dinners had a wide variety of meats and vegetables. The fruit at all meals was mouthwatering; you can't get fruit like that in Canada in February. Only complaint really was you had to keep your elbows up in the corners to defend your space. (Canadian hockey fans will get that).
The ala cartes were not hard to book, even with the resort at near full capacity in our second week. We like the later bookings so maybe it was harder to get the first sitting of the night. We did not try Jardin but others who did said it was worth the extra money. Bambou was good but we found Morgans Pier to be the best. They accomodated all requests. Plum Tree was good for light snacks and afternoon bites to tide over to dinner. Yes, not all items on the menu were available. Oh the horror.
There was security all around and never felt unsafe at any time. The entertainment was bordering on the ridiculous some nights but they did have a good band one night, and a steel drum band that was pretty good. Karaoke was atrocious but I applaud the people brave enough to get up there. Bottom line, if you're looking for the resort to entertain you, well that's just sad.
Nothing else novel to add. Joy's Tours are worth every penny. He's a bit intimidating at first, but his family runs a top notch tour company. They get what travellers want to see. If you don't want to line up for drinks all day, bring a Bubba Keg. For the most part, the employees are very friendly, and I can honestly say that the vast majority of St Lucian people are a delight to interact with.
Will I return to this resort? Probably not as there is a big world out there to explore. Would I recommend this resort to any first timer? Absolutely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape from reality at the four-star St. James's Club Morgan Bay, St. Lucia. A fun, relaxing, and casually elegant Caribbean beach resort. Famous for its friendly staff, amazing tropical gardens, and great service. St. James's Club Morgan Bay is an excellent choice for couples, families, weddings, honeymoons, family reunions, and more. This resort has 345 rooms in total for its Caribbean vacationers. Guests can relax and enjoy terrific garden view, beachfront, and ocean view suite accommodations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, BookIt.com, Regatta Hotels, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your St. James's Club Morgan Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Morgan Bay Beach Hotel Gros Islet
- Almond Morgan Bay Beach Hotel
- Almond Morgan Bay St Lucia
- Almond Bay St Lucia
- St. James's Club Morgan Bay St. Lucia/Gros Islet