“Better than I expected and Pleasanty surprised.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. James's Club Morgan Bay

Save Saved
You added St. James's Club Morgan Bay to your Saves list
St. James's Club Morgan Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Choc Bay | St. Lucia, Gros Islet, St. Lucia (Formerly Morgan Bay Beach Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
BUY 1 GET 1 NIGHT FREE!
Ranked #6 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
Ross-on-Wye
“Better than I expected and Pleasanty surprised.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

As hotels go this is quite quiet due to their being few no young teenagers or singles, just a few smaller children, and there is little or nothing for youngsters to do anyway. Mostly Americans and Canadians. So if you like a quiet restful place at a reasonable price perhaps this is for you. The buffet style food is by and large very good with about 2/3ds of the menus consisting of fish based dishes. It was not made clear to us when we arrived that tables have to be booked for all evening meals. This means that there is no lengthy 'rush hour' queues and most dishes are always available and fresh. However we found that it was not always convenient to plan our mealtimes 2 or 3 days ahead and you have to book early. When you get used to it it works well.
Although the local currency is ECD, everybody everywhere uses US dollars.
I found only a couple of downsides to this resort. First the beach is far too small (about 100 mtrs long) making this and the pool area seem quite restricted. secondly it is difficult to get out into the neighbouring beaches. A few yards north in a small and usually deserted beach accessible by a small path or swimming round some rocks. To the south is a beautiful long (about 3/4 mile) clean beach with plenty of shade, running right down to one of the Sandals resorts. To get to it one has to go to the south end of the grounds, climb down a small wall, walk a few yards along some shingle and rocks, climb up a little cliff, difficult when wet, and down the other side where a stream enters the sea. Here are mangroves, freshwater pools, a wooded area and some rough grazing for a few cattle. There is some excellent birding here, I wish I had found it earlier, but make sure you wear good trainers or shoes because part of it used to be a dump and there is a lot of broken glass and rusty metal in places. The beach is pristine however.
There are over 165,000 inhabitants on this small island and there are few places where one can go out for a walk and and explore the countryside (in the north anyway) because there is almost continuous housing along every road between one village and the next. There is no litter anywhere, all credit to the locals, just rusting old cars.The government owned wildlife reserves are free of any development and are excellent but some way off.
Taxis are more expensive than in the UK but the local buses (minibuses) are frequent and so cheap although usually full but good fun.

Room Tip: Rooms are in blocks 3 or 4 floors high without lifts. The latest blocks are more remote from the bea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

3,045 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (954)
montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I depend on Trip Advisor for making my decision on whether or not to reserve. Prior to making my reservation on Jan. 11, most of the reviews were positive. After I reserved, there were some negative reviews which made me nervous and I was worried if I made the right choice. I just returned from a one week stay, Feb 3-10, and am very satisfied with all the aspects of this hotel. Service, food, room..everything was wonderful. I agree with all reviews that have positive remarks. I especially liked the gardens and enjoyed the garden tour given by Bernard. There are many species of birds to observe. The island is a tropical paradise. I highly recommend this hotel and St. Lucia

Room Tip: room 530 offers a beautiful ocean view and private balcony
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Visited St James Club Morgan Bay Resort from Jan 20-27 2013 and had one of the most enjoyable trips yet. Our flight out of Toronto was delayed for five hours and we arrived at the resort approx 2am. We were not in our room for 15 minutes when the phone rang. It was the front desk asking if we were hungry and would like something sent to our room. Very thoughtful and that was the type of service we encountered all week.
The food, drink, pool, and beaches were all very clean and welcoming. The fitness and yoga classes accomodated all fitness levels. Make sure to leave some time for some excursions as well. The zip lining is a blast. The Friday night street party in Gros Islet is a must. Don't eat before you go as there are plenty of vendors selling some of the best food you'll have. The highlight of the week had to be the day spent with Joy's Adventure Excursion & Coastal Cruises. For a very reasonable cost you are taken down the western coast line past fishing villages, shown the beautiful Marigot Bay, taken to the volcano for a mud bath and a swim in the Mineral Waterfalls, fed a wonderful lunch on a private beach, and taken snorkeling between the famous Pitons. Look for Joy down at the beach and book your cruise. You will not be disappointed.
All in all, a fabulous trip to a very pretty island. We will be returning soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in 449. Considered a garden view but did offer a view of the beach too.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I really just wanted a week of R&R so we took a direct flight to St. Lucia. It took us about 90 minutes to get to the resort but Christopher's taxi service made it very pleasurable. At check in we were seated on the side, filled out our paperwork ,given a rum punch and then headed off to our room in the 900 building. Room was nice with a great view but quite a physical workout to go down the hill for meals and entertainment. We missed having a clock radio.
A small pool and Tommy's bar is not far from the spa and buildings 900-1200. Meals were fine! I didn't expect gourmet but got good decent food and very good deserts. A nice variety was always available. For some, I think the serving size in the full serve restaurants might be too small but for us it was fine. The staff were some of the nicest I have met and service was very good. My vacation was exactly what I expected.

Room Tip: If older and not in good shape pick rooms away from the hillside.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

My fiancée and I had a wonderful stay at Morgan Bay in November 2012 - where we were celebrating my 40th birthday. The resort was clean and well presented, the staff were incredibly friendly and the restaurants and bars are highly recommended!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Watford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have just arived back from a fabulous holiday with one of my friends and felt the urge to write a review as we had such an amazing time. The reason that we booked this holiday was to unwind and relax. The staff at the hotel could not have been more helpful. The pool and beach areas were immaculate. The restaurants had a good variety of food and there was always a good choice of foods to eat. You have to make reservations for Bamboo Restaurant and the Pier - we found that when we ate at these restarurants we were slightly more realxed as it was waiter service and the food was exceptional, the lobster at the pier was amazing even though there was an additional cost. You can pay in either EC or US $ as everywhere that you go will price things in both currencies.We had a few treatments at teh spa and they were very good too and they do provide some package deals. We had several highlights of the holiday, but one stands out the most and that was a trip that we booked through Joy's cruises. Joy is based on the beach and has been providing the service for over 10 years. We went to the Sulphur springs, mud baths, waterfalls and various sights along the way, all via speedboat - it was such an amazing experience and it was cheaper and from other conversations that we had, much better than the trip that you can book at reception. We ventured out one afternoon and found an amazing little bar that has recently been opened in Rodeny Bay called The Hairy Clam - the owners (Darwin and Brad) made us feel very welcome and safe and there is a taxi rank just outside the bar so that you can easily get back to the hotel when you are ready. One of our hotel guests who was travelling alone changed hotels during her stay and she feels safe enough to venture to the bar on her own. We didn't want to come home.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I travelled here to celebrate our 25th anniversary and had an incredible time! We can't wait to go back! We had a lovely room with a beautiful view. The restaurants and bars were terrific. The weather, the island and the beach were all wonderful! The staff were very friendly and helpful. We would recommend this resort to families of all ages!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!