“Relaxing experience, great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. James's Club Morgan Bay

Save Saved
You added St. James's Club Morgan Bay to your Saves list
St. James's Club Morgan Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Choc Bay | St. Lucia, Gros Islet, St. Lucia (Formerly Morgan Bay Beach Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
BUY 1 GET 1 NIGHT FREE!
Ranked #6 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
York, United Kingdom
“Relaxing experience, great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

A great holiday experience. Attention to detail & overall staff attitude was great, they aim high & they achieve it. The all inclusive deal was very generous offering well stocked bars & fabulous food in a range of restaurants / settings. Plenty of choice for a vegetarian too.
Watersports on site provided plenty of variety of activity, youngsters were well catered for too, well entertained without disrupting those of us who wanted to relax. Sandy beach all the way out, great for swimming if you are not a strong swimmer. Rooms were clean, spacious & well appointed, Ocean view rooms were great and very accessible, Pool view might be a little noisy - I certainly wouldnt want to climb the slope to the regular rooms too often. The lunch time / barbecue 'chef' at the pier was really grumpy the day we arrived, the only tiny fly in the otherwise perfect ointment. I would happily go back again & again.

Room Tip: Be careful if you have trouble climbing steep slopes, some blocks are quite high up on the bay side...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

3,041 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
Tynemouth, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Who are we:
A very active couple in our late 60's / very well travelled / professional long-haul UK commercial ship's captain (retired) ex. cruise & general cargo

Time of year: E
Early November / end of the rainy season. Temperatures 23 x night and 31 x day. Frequent showers / plenty of sunshine

Why did we choose this hotel:
Watersports, mainly good reports on Trip Advisor, price

What is the airport like on arrival:
Quite small, lovely people, easy immigration, transfer bus courtesy desks outside the terminal. Little hassle from locals. No bother. Enjoy!

Where is the hotel:
About 5 miles north of Castries on the west coast. Is this good? Yes,.....not far into Castries and Rodney Bay to the north. Sheltered coastline from the mainly easterly winds

Travelling to the hotel:
Takes about 1 hour 20 minutes from the Intl. Airport, which is right on the southern tip of he island.Boring drive through lush hillsides. Mini vans holding about 8 people. AC available. A hilly island so lots of ups and downs to the hotels which are 90% on the north western coast. Paved roads. A helicopter option is available from the Intl Airport to the city airport at Castries. Then you transfer by taxi to your hotel. (between 10 minutes to the closest and 45 to those in the far north of the island ).

Arrival at St James Morgan Bay Resort
Lovely approach. What you would expect. You will not be disappointed.

Arrival M & G:
As you climb out of the minivan, staff will whisk your bags to one side / hot towels/ some paperwork to complete / fruity cocktail to sort out your dry throat! Room keys are all laid out. Quite easy and not stressful. You will be asked to sign a waiver....in event of injury both within the hotel or during watersports

Foyer area:
Beautiful. Large / expansive / clean/ nice/ impressive

Resort layout:
If you can, ...go on the webside to download a site map. This will help sort out where to stay & help with my description below.

The resort is divided into 12 'blocks' scattered around the beach / pool / hillside. Where you are allocated of course depends on what type of room you have paid for.

The good blocks to be in and why (in brackets):
500 & 600 (close to the beach/ little walking / suitable for older folks / views of the Caribbean Sea / quiet).
Block 12 is good but there is a steep climb up. (Good because of the views)

Not so good: Blocks 100, 200 , 300 ( at the back of the hotel so no views of the sea apart from the top floors) Ok if you have paid a low price for your holiday and happy just to have a decent room without a view,..apart from the gardens...which are very nice) Blocks 100 & 200 could be noisy from the evening 'shows'. Rooms may be slightly shabby as yet to be renovated

So-so blocks: 400.... if you don't mind quite a walk (you are on the young side!). Quiet / nice views from the balconies. Not for older folks

So-so-so Blocks: 900, 1000 & 1100: all up on the hillside. Quite a climb. Not for older folks

Avoid at all costs: Block 700 (close to the pool & entertainment. Noisy! Block 800 (too far away and out on a limb)

Suimmary: pay for a beachfront deluxe room on an upper floor in Blocks 500 or 600 (suitable for everyone / close to everything). Avoid ground floor terrace rooms.

Note: when you arrive at the hotel,....that is the time to ask "where am I going"? Possibly upgrade or check other availability. Ask to see the room / leave your bags on the buggy. Unhappy??...go back to reception and ask to see another room.

Rooms: The rooms in the hotel are all basically the same no matter what Block you go in, except there are some suites. We were in Block 600. Room recently painted. Beautiful. Large/ cool. Very large bed which was comfortable. Flat screen TV with lots of channels (CNN/BBC). Not alot of drawer space (3 drawers). Hangers (20). Tea/coffee facilities. Safe. Iron plus board. Nice balcony for two and child safe.
Beware.....British plugs only in this resort so our N.American friends must bring an adaptor. Also..220 volts. Room has tiled floor (cool!) and very clean. One comfortable easy chair and footstool. Good bedside lamps to read before sleeep.

Bathroom:
Good size. Not large,..but quite adequate. Shower over bath / good
Hairdryer very powerful so no need to bring one. Toilet part of bathroom. Towels (3 provided) could be hard at times. Plenty of smaller face/ hand towels. Usual goodies.
BIG CAUTION: be careful of young ones alone in the shower as quite easy to turn the handle and get very hot water!!!

Travel to your room:
By golf type buggy

Where to eat: there are three choices by day and four by night. The main eating area is the Palms Restaurant. Very relaxed / open aspect. Somthing nicer at night is the Bambou or the Pier. Something posh and expensive ((you pay $30 or so each) is Le Jardin. By day,..you can eat BBQ food at the Pier. By night it transforms into quite a nice dining venue. The best choice? The Bambou. If you are with a young family or group ,..maybe the Palms is best.

Downside to all of the eating areas: poor dress code from about 20% of the guests. Do not be surprised to have someone in a cut-down vest having dinner with you on the next table. The hotel does not enforce the dress code. Big downfall for this resort,.....and the MAIN complaint we have.

Pools: two main pools, both have a good temperature,..one for children and the other for adults. Quite large / clean with nice seating area to the perimeter to watch the world go by. The adult pool has a swim-up bar. Very popular!!!

The bars: mainly two in the pool area. Easy to get a drink / fun staff / good range of fun cocktails. Also,..water available from a machine, plus OJ. Note.....you must pay if you want bottled water!!
All plastic glasses.

There is also Tommy's Bar which is quite nice to go up to (near Block 1200). Closes at 6pm. Quite nice to escape the crowd.

The beach:
About 175 metres long / really nice sand. Just fine. Plenty of very nice sun loungers. Try to be early and get one positioned under an unbrella or swaying palms. Towels are available from the Watersports Base Office. The beach was very clean with rubbish bins everywhere. Also raked each morning by the staff

Swimming in the sea:
Quite safe if the safety flags say so. Can be some large waves coming in. Lovely temperature (early November). Nothing to worry about or that may hurt you. Good fun.

Watersports: come to this hotel for the best in the world!!!! 5 Hobie Cats available and very safe sailing. All in good condition. Many kayacks, windsurfers, body boards you paddle whilst standing up!! Great team of fellows run this. Do not be afraid to sail a Hobie. You will be given a lesson then off you go. The bay is sheltered so few strong winds to worry you. Just be careful and with very little experince,..you will be fine on a Hobie. Also free water-ski-ing with lessons available. Banana ride every afternoon! You can really enjoy yourself here and keep active.
The staff watch you carefully out on the water and will be straight out if they think you have a problem' The rule: If you cannot see the beach whilst out enjoying yourself,..the staff cannot see you!! Be kind to them and stay within YOUR sight of the hotel beach. It is your safety they are concerned with.

Shops:
Small gift shop (cards & stamps) plus a very upmarket diamond shop

Other facilities: tennis / kids play park / massage & spa treatment. Internet (2 desks in the foyer area) but costing $5 for 20-30 minutes

Excursions: large range available

Use of buses:
Just up to the road from the hotel (3 minutes walk) brings you to the bus stops (minivans). Get some advice from the hotel. Frequent and easy to go anywhere

Weddings: you can get married here and plenty do. Renew your vows?

In summary:
The staff at this hotel are just lovely. It is a beautifully kept hotel / very clean / lovely kept grounds / great beach and watersports. Big downside is the lack of any dress code. Whilst ladies will try at night to look nice, men turn up for dinner in a T shirt and shorts. The hotel has recently been taken over by the Elite Group (based in Florida) from the Almond Group and do not enforce dress code. They appear to be spending money on the hotel which is good. Men,..do not bring a jacket for evening wear/ not necessary. Ladies.......long soft flowing dresses to to be the order of the day.

Security:
Very good. Patrolled by day and night by a number of uniformed secuity personnel

Safety:
Can be wet and slippery around the pool area and bars

Would we stay here again:
Yes,.....it is really nice. I have stayed in some lovely, very up-market hotels in my working life,.and this hotel is very acceptable. Never going to be a high standard with the lack of dress code. The watersports is the big attraction.

Room Tip: Block 600 / room 648 very good. One of the very best!!! You would like it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had booked to stay at laSource in Grenada however as they went bust we changed to this hotel for various reasons.

We were not expecting too much, however we have been very pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It is a big hotel, however for some reason it does not feel too overcrowded.  We were in sea view villas and these were very nice rooms (block 900). There is a 2 min walk up a slight hill but nothing to complain about.

My only negatives are lack of umbrellas around the pool area, lack of alcohol in drinks however this maybe due to the use of cheap local spirits (Tommy's bar served good cocktails, but shame it closed at 6) and murky sea.

On the positive side, all staff are friendly, especially Lucy and the spa was fantastic and should not be missed. Also it is worth paying the extra for a meal at Le Jardin.

In summary this is a good value hotel but we will not be back due to it's size and the murky sea.

Our one tip is to bring you own bottle of favourite spirits and buy some mixers locally and then you can enjoy a nice pre-dinner drink on your balcony.

• Stayed November 2012
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

When we first pulled into the hotel it was not what I was expecting and my heart sank a little. BUT once I was greeted with a massive smile and a rum punch I relaxed a little. The check in was speedy and very easy. Me and my cases were taken up straight away. The gardens are kept immaculate. The pool bar stocks a good variety of drinks (you have to try the BBC cocktail!!) The beach is gorgeous. Not enough parasols though so I do advise to pop down on your way to breakfast and pick your spot and get your towels down. I travelled on my own and was worried about leaving my beach bag at the side of my sun lounger while I swam etc but there was no worries there. Weds prob the best night for entertainment, Will and the band were great. Some nights entertainment was good, other times its a bit boring. The staff are wonderful, very friendly and will do anything for you. Vito, Kennyson, Germain and Dona from the bar were great and always greet you with a smile. All the restaurant staff were friendly and polite. I was worried about eating on my own so I ate mainly at the Palms buffet restaurant. I must say the food was fantastic! Lots of variety and fresh too. If you have a bird phobia this prob isn't the best place for you. To me I loved the birds chirping and bobbing about. I even took bread from the meals to feed the birds. They did fly around the roof of the open restaurant but that added to the magic. Don't worry though this is no where near where the food is kept. Bambo was nice but not my kind of food anyway. The mashed potatoes with the fishermans catch at the Morgans Pier was amazing! The bbq at the pier was really nice during the day and again they changed the choices each day so rice n beans, then day after mac n cheese etc
I was due to get a superior ocean view room (free upgrade with Tropical Sky) but was put in a superior garden view room with a side sea view. This I think is prob a mix up with my travel agent rather than the hotel. The room was that nice and the view still so good I didnt even mention this to the manager as I was MORE than happy with it. Very clean and lots of towels.

I got a local taxi from the main road outside the hotel into Rodney Bay. The shopping isn't fantastic and the walk from the mall to the beach takes about 5 mins. The beach there is fantastic, gorg blue seas and white sands. There are locals selling cheap beers in ice buckets and bits n pieces, jewellery, shells etc. I went in the morning until around 2pm. As a single woman I did get a bit of attention but I was just polite and the people where very friendly and moved on. Not like some places I have been to like Turkey for example where they follow you down the street! On the way back to the taxi I even felt safe enough to pop into one of the local bars and sit and have a Piton Beer and read my magazine.

The street party is a MUST!!!! If you are a little older and like the more cheesy music (elvis, gangnam style, michael jackson got played) go early between 7pm and 10/11pm. If you are younger and prefer the more local music soca, dancehall, hip hop, reggae etc go a bit later, I went at 9pm. I would not advise going down on your own. I went with some people I had met there so felt safe. It was good to see a whole range of ages and races dancing together, it was quite moving really.

The check-out was quick and easy and even though check out was 12pm my pick up wasn't until 3pm I was still allowed to use the hotel facilities, bars restaurants etc until I left.

I booked this holiday to get away and relax by a pool with a good book and a cocktail. I feel I made an excellent choice with this hotel. Great value for money and really lovely staff. I will defo be going back with my friends next year!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Recently returned from 2 weeks in St Lucia. The transfer to the hotel is approx 1-1.5hrs so quite a slog and at the time we were unaware we could have booked a helicopter transfer which takes approx 15 mins, which we booked for the return journey. You could either book both ways direct from UK at http://www.stluciahelicopters.com/ or alternatively pretty sure if you contact the hotel direct and use their concierge service they would be able to do this for you. It was approx 80 GBP one way and one of the most amazing experiences, I would fully recommend this and thankful to the people we met at the resort for letting us know about this option as we were not advised this was possible via the travel agent we booked with. The hotel was undergoing a refurb but a majority of the work had been done in the main areas therefore not any disruptions to us as we were not travelling with children and the kids pool appeared to be getting a makeover but the other 2 pools in the main area are not too deep for kids. There are 4 restaurants - The Pier which runs a daily lunchtime BBQ, 2 you need to book - Le Jardin and Bambou and menus are placed in reception. We mainly ate at the Palms and had no complaints. The hotel was clean and we had a lovely room with a fantastic ocean view (approx 10 steps) room 510!! We also take our own plastic wine/tumbler as drinks are served in small plastic cups, the staff did not appear to mind this at all and surely saves on their washing up. Food choice was plentiful and good quality. Evening entertainment was very good and the boat trip which we booked via the resort was very good value for money. Staff were excellent and we couldnt have wished for better service. Vaghan and Dennis were great! Excellent hotel and would definitely go back :-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have just returned from this resort on 11th November 2012 wife my wife and young child and must say it was fantastic. After reading the reviews prior to going I starting seeking alternative hotels on the island as some reviews were quite negative. After much deliberation we decided to stay at this hotel as we were attending a wedding and I am so glad we did. The accommodation was excellent; we stayed in a garden view deluxe room which had views fantastic views of the garden and the ocean. The room was clean (cleaned daily) and nicely decorated and had two double beds with a balcony and flat screen TV. There were approximately 96 TV channels which included three children’s channels, five news channels and four sports channels that contained all live premiership games for those football fanatics.

The staff I found was completely friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them to help you. I honestly cannot say a bad word about any of the treatment I received from any of the staff. This was complete contradiction to the reviews I had read prior to going.

The inclusive food was exceptional; the choices were so vast at every sitting and were cooked wonderfully. Consequently, I attended this holiday with two very experienced senior chefs and a vegetarian who does not eat dairy products and even they were all very impressed with the quality of the food. We only tried three of the four restaurants as one of them you had to pay which my party were not keen to do particularly as they were extremely satisfied with the other restaurants. Furthermore, the chicken, burgers, fish, rice and peas that is cooked on the beach at lunchtime is a must have.

There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby if you wish to get on to the internet and there are two pools with one of the bars at pool level. The complex has its own beach which has water activities such as scuba diving etc. Additionally there is an exceptional children's playground and children’s' club with experienced staff. Furthermore, they were just completing a new children's pool that was opening this week that had all sorts of slides and additions to the pool. The gym, tennis courts, pool and table tennis table provide additional activities for the sporting type.

I did hear from one of the other guests I was speaking too that the hotel had changed hands about nine weeks ago and they were in the process of decorating all of the rooms and had hired new staff. Many of the guests I spoke too had read some of the reviews before going and had the same thoughts and could not fault the hotel, hence we promised to write a review for other people to read as the ones we read were quite misleading. Anyone visiting this hotel will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 245 which had great views of the garden and the sea. the only drawback is you coul...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Elsah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our room was gorgeous and it had a to-die-for view. However, there were rats, yes rats and one actually ran into my foot outside of room 601. Also, the LeJardin restaurant was the only restaurant that was air conditioned and it cost an additional $25.00 per person. Not really all- inclusive if you ask me. So, we paid the $25.00 per person to get out of the humidity and were not at all impressed by the dinner. The lobster was char-broiled and it tasted like lighter fluid. They also never brought our vegatable or our drinks. The public transportation was very good about taking us into town. If you do decide to go to this resort, don't miss out on the Friday Street Fair. It's a lot of fun.

Room Tip: Some rooms were very far away from the restaurants and bars, the 500 rooms are the best. None have e...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!