“No Way” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
Banff, Canada
“No Way”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

Moved, three times, they just could not get it right. Air conditioner did not work, so moved us to a room with a smaller bed, then to another room. The linens smelled, obviously had not been changed and their was glass on the floor. Go somewhere else.

Cheryl from Canada

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

959 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Polish first
Little Rock, AR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Coco Palm for 6 nights for our honeymoon. It was our first visit to St. Lucia and we enjoyed it greatly! The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful and really went out of their way to help us out. Our room was very nice. The decor was very nice, the bed was comfortable, there was TV with American shows on (although about 3 to 4 hours later than we see them), there was a nice in-room safe where you make up your own combination. The bathroom was great with a rainfall showerhead and a handheld one as well. It was a very nice room. We had one of the second floor pool view rooms. I highly suggest getting one of the pool view rooms as opposed to the garden view. The price difference isn't very much (maybe $15-$20 a night or something) and the view is worth it. You get a view of the open air restaurant and the pool as well as the area where most nights a band is playing. It's great to just open up your doors and listen. Although the hotel is not right on the water, it is only about a 3 -4 minute walk to get to the amazing Rodney Bay beach. We spent an entire day there just relaxing in the calm waters and lying on the beach. Because this hotel is rather new, there are a few things we felt they could do to improve it. They were all small things such as adding a hair dryer to the bathroom, putting a seal on the bottom of the door to keep hallway noise out (which wasn't too bad, but a little loud), keeping the pool open later (it closed at 6:00 I think), etc. The lobby does have internet access, which I found a nice bonus. By far our favorite aspect of the hotel was the restaurant Ti Binnane! It was truly AMAZING. We had wonderful meals there including fried Calamari salad, lobster bisque, and hamburgers, and chicken sandwiches for lunch. For dinner we had fabulous Red Snapper, an amazing Lobster, and my personal favorite the Coconut Curry Shrimp and Scallops. The service was also superb! They really went out of their way to make you comfortable. Best of all the prices were not outrageous. Very comparable, and most times lower, than other restaurants in the area... around $10 each for lunch and $25 each for dinner. We found it so good that we had a difficult time tearing ourselves away to go somewhere else. One other thing that I would highly recommend is taking a trip down to the southern part of the island. We booked our trip through Expedia and we also booked an activity called the Jungle Reef Adventure. That was by far our favorite activity. A Taxi came and picked us up at our hotel about 7:00 am and we took a ride that took about an hour to an hour and a half (which we found very interesting just getting to watch people, you drive through Castries) and then they let you off at Marigot Bay. We picked up our host on the way so she was with us. At Marigot Bay (which was simply beautiful) we got on a boat and took a boat ride along the coast that took about 20 minutes. That was a really beautiful ride. You get to see lots of little villages along the way. We arrived at our destination which was a very nice resort that also had a small water sport station set up there. It was a Beautiful location!! We got to choose between a bike ride or kayaking for the first half of the day. We did the kayaking, and I highly recommend it!! I am not a very athletic or coordinated person, but it was easy and fun. We did the sit on top kayaks and they show you how to use them and have you practice tipping over and getting back in. We were very lucky, our guide was the owner of the Water Sports place, named Paul. He was very nice and helpful and fun! He also shared a lot of history with us on the trip, which we liked. So out we went on our kayaks with Paul and one other couple. We went right out from the bay we were in and around one little corner and WOW, there were the Pitons, we were right in front of them!! It was an amazing experience. We kayaked for a little ways and stopped at the beach at Suffire. On the way back a big rain came and we got drenched, but it was fun. We then got a buffet style lunch at the hotel restaurant and in the afternoon we did some amazing snorkeling. A very fun day! Other activities we also enjoyed were the Sunset Cruise, and Deep Sea Fishing (With Captain Mike's). It was a very wonderful trip and we always enjoyed coming back to our hotel. It had such a wonderful atmosphere, especially the outside area with the pool, restaurant and bar, and the band. Every evening we would get a drink and sit out beside the pool and just relax. A truly wonderful experience! We can’t wait to go back and we’d defiantly stay at Coco Palm again!

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Small things like no hair dryer in bathroom, pool closes early, a little bit noisy from the halls
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

How do I start?? The staff was excellent, nice, professional, attentive, etc. The hotel was clean, comfortable, new, ugh…perfect! My parent (ages 50+) and I (28 yr old) enjoyed every moment we spent at the Coco Palm in St Lucia.

Here is a snapshot of how the trip was planned and executed: This trip was for my parents 31 wedding anniversary. I made all the reservations online 3 months prior to our departure (research tool- trip advisor of course!). I simply told them they needed to pack light, bring passports and meet me at airport; I will take care of everything else. HOWEVER, I forgot my passport, so my parents flew on to St Lucia ahead of me. They would experience the BEST DAYS OF THEIR LIVES in my absence! I quickly let my hostess, Carla (an employee at COCO PALM) know what transpired. She said not to worry, and made arrangement that went FLAWLESSLY! My parents were shuttled via helicopter to Castries where a luxury car awaited them. (I forgot to mention, my parent had NO MONEY on them either as per my instructions, remember I was taking care of everything!...oops)

They were received by the lovely staff- our hostess Carla, Marina, Meena, Vicky, ugh…and many others. Then escorted to their Swim-Up room and were fruit and pre selected beverages/food awaited them.

I arrived on the 4th day into a schedule 7 day trip. Lot of back and forth with the airline because there is only 1 flight into St Lucia per day leaving DFW and its at 6am; if there is room on the flight you may get lucky and are able to catch the next day flight!

I (their only child) told my parents I would not be able to make it. Then, I western union them some cash on day 2. Carla also delivered the news to them in person along with the email I sent her about my flying woes. They were sad, yet content that the vacation must go on! I checked in with them on days2&3, and surprise visited them on day 4!!!!! My mom screamed when I entered the room. Most of the staff accompanied me to my parents’ room and we all hugged and laughed. Now I could see how and why my parent where not missing me or home. They were being pampered like a visiting King and Queen with the run of a castle! Great job Coco Palm! I brought the staff some gifts from texas and deservingly tiped them well :-)

Note: The Swim up room is a MUST! However, any of the rooms with a pool view are more than adequate for even the pickiest person. Don’t believe the “rooms are noisy, loud music” stuff either. The walls are solid, even with the marginal gap under the door. Bring ear plugs if your that light of a sleeper.

The on site bar/restaurant Ti Bannane was had a fantastic free continental breakfast- composed of cereals, lush fresh fruit, fruit juices, bread / toast, banana bread (you’ve got to have this, it’s yummy) and raisin bread. We also had a few cooked breakfasts and these were even better.

We also opted for Spa treatments with Shawn and Lisa. Once these two get their rhythmic hands on your body, you will be one step closer to heaven! Lisa gave my mother a very beautiful pedicure, unlike the one she gets in the states! Awesome! Shawn proved not only to be good for massage therapy, he even made a phone call from his cell and got me a seat for the plane ride home because my airline “goofed” up my reservation after missing my flight! BIG THANKS TO SHAWN!!!

The only excursion I did was golfing. Ugh…afterwards I think I just did it to say “I did it”. The course would rank under many municipal and/or links courses that we have in the states. In short, leave your clubs at home!

The mall, shopping center, post office, restaurants (even Dominos and Burger King), etc are all blocks from the hotels door. We ate out at Ti Banane and the Chart House. Both were very very good! Chart house was expensive but worth it!

I did most of my business in EC. But even when i used american dollars i was never jipped on the exchange. but its easy to remember $1 = 2.70 EC
oh yeah travlers dont forget that you have to pay some sort of tax before you can board the plane, and its cash only per person.

The owner of the hotel is usually on site and is very approachable. All staff know you by name, even if they have never directly met you! i was impressed.

My hostess Carla made sure that before and after check my bill matched what we had discussed and not a penny more! The hotel does not try and take advantage of vacationers in that way. They are genuinely nice, respectable and professional islanders whose sole interest is to insure your stay is the absolute best no matter what!

We will be back at the Coco Palm for 2007, that is a promise.

• Liked — Staff, location, food, close beach, Duty Free!
  • Disliked — had to leave :-(
  • Tips/Secrets — dont nit pick, take cash to airport for tax fee and last minute shopping.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2006

We stayed at Coco Palm for 11 nights - they got the important things right, but there was a lack of attention to detail (a few minor gripes!).

Good stuff:
- The rooms are tastefully furnished, large and excellent value for money (we had a pool view room)
- The pool is a good size and the gardens are lovely
- The bar was good value
- The staff were mostly switched on
- The free breakfast is fresh and tasty
- The hotel is in an excellent location, 5 mins walk from the beach, the mall and a number of restaurants. Favourite restaurant was The Edge (expensive, but lovely setting overlooking the Marina, and delicious food).

Not so good stuff:
- The air conditioning in our room broke after two days, and we were moved to another similar room after complaining twice. After asking for some compensation for the inconvenience, the hotel left a bottle of wine in our room.
- They ran out of beach towels one morning, and couldn't tell us when the problem would be resolved.
- One of the staff sent us to Gros Islet, to walk to Pigeon Island. This is actually impossible due to swamp-land. We ended up lost in Gros Islet, and a local woman told us it wasn't a safe place to wander around as a tourist... Wasted a whole morning, but caught a boat to Pigeon Island the next day (the island is beautiful and well worth a trip).

Handy tip: If you book an excursion, phone them in the morning to double-check your reservation. We booked and paid for a boat trip, and they didn't collect us from the hotel in the morning .... we missed the boat. They gave us a full refund and a free boat trip, so we were happy with the way Sunlink Tours handled our complaint.

• Liked — Lovely rooms
  • Disliked — Broken air con
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2006

Stayed at the Coco Palm over Thanksgiving week and had a great time. This new property is perhaps more of a boutique hotel than a full-fledged resort, but its worth the trip. The four story hotel with a gorgeous pool and open air veranda restaurant and bar is about two blocks from the Renduit Beach - a short five minute walk through a side street.

Our room was spacious and in tip-top condition. The bed was very comfortable. We had a pool side view that overlooks Rodney Bay Village. The bathroom had a walk in shower. The whole place had a tile floor as is common in beach resorts. The in-room safe was convenient.

An amazing breakfast buffet in the resort restaurant was included in our stay. It included fresh banana bread, other breads, freshly sliced pineapple, melon, cantaloupe, and watermelon, yogurts, cereal, fresh juices, coffe and tea. A full breakfast menu is also available to order, but we were in heaven with the fruit selection. The restuarant also serves a tasty if small menu for lunch and dinner. The restaurant and bar itself is an open-air affair, overlooking the pool and cooled by the refreshing trade winds that seem to be funneled through the resort.

The hotel lobby will be happy to arrange for excursions or call a taxi for you. There is a public use internet terminal in the lobby, which seems to be in constant use - people love their e-mail. There is also a spa - which we didn't use. Walking pass the bar, you'll find stairs leading to the rest of Rodney Bay Village, included a full service bank and atm and many restaurants. Its a short walk to either the beach resorts or to the Rodney Bay Mall with its shops and fast food outlets.

They have live bands at the bar most nights (up to around 11 PM) with a variety of music. There is also a lively bar just outside the hotel property that seems to be popular with the locals and sometimes has loud music too, although they also quiet down by 11.

Our only complaint was that we were always the last room cleaned, but I guess somebody has to be last.

Its a quick walk to Renduit beach. A beautiful crescent of golden sand, there is actually decent snorkeling along the south side of the bay. Excellent snorkeling sites were further south at Anse Cochon, Anse Chastanet, and Jallouise Bay.

We actually rented a car - which seems uncommon on the island. The roads were twisty and often steep on this volcanic island. Hairpin turns abound and the local taxis and minibus drive fast although generally courteously. Side roads are sometimes unpaved or poorly paved ruts. The main roads have been recently repaved (as of Nov 06) and if you are into challenging drives, driving the island can be fun. The road between Castries and Soufriere out-does Maui's Road to Hana, in my opinion. If you do drive, take your time and be careful. To find the Coco Palm, follow the main road to Gros Islet. As you enter town, look for the sign for the Carribbean Jewel resort on your left. If you pass the Rodney Bay Mall you've gone one left too far.

This was our first trip to St. Lucia and we were delighted at the beauty of the island. The trade winds keep the climate comfortable. The people were exceedingly friendly. Street side vendors were often persistent, but always friendly. The moutains were lush, the seas transparently clear, the towns - whether rich or poor - colorful. We enjoyed our stay immensely.

• Liked — Breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — Late maid service
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Coco Palm Resort? Share your experiences!