“A Friendly Place To Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Cleopatra

Villa Cleopatra
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gros Islet
Villa Cleopatra
You added Villa Cleopatra to your Saves list
Rodney Bay, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Ontario, California
“A Friendly Place To Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Since I've been to St. Lucia 2 times already, I was surprised at the location and the quietness of the Villa. The Owner, Robert, was very pleasant and friendly and was only concerned with my comfort level as I arrived at the Villa. When I met the staff, they were warm and friendly and if I needed anything, Shelly would provide it. She's so caring and friendly and if I needed anything, she could provide it! I was provided with everything I needed as well as a transformer and internet connection because I took my computer with me on my trip. I will never make that mistake again! They had USA television stations and I was able to watch my Los Angeles Lakers win a basketball game!

I was even able to wash my clothes while at the Villa because they have all the amenities as if you were at home!

The swimming pool was also delightful. It was right outside my room with a view that I've never experience in my trips to St. Lucia. You could see the ocean once you open your front door! There was always a cool breeze outside and I was able to keep my door open to let the breeze in, so I didn't use the air conditioner that much during my stay.

There was plenty of hot water for my two week vacation and the walk to the local stores and beaches was just outside the Villa and I'd take a walk there everyday to get exercise and groceries. If I needed a discount on groceries, I'd just ask one of the locals if I could use their Super J Card. Everyone there was friendly, so I always got a discount on my groceries.

The beach was not far away as well. A small 10 minute walk to the warm water would cool me off just fine, as I returned to the room just before sunset because I heard the area was not safe. This couldn't be true because I never saw anyone outside of the Villa or anywhere near who looked like trouble. I could sit outside at night with my door open and no one ever passed by. This was absolute serenity for my 50th birthday. A peaceful tranquility where I didn't have to worry about anything.

If you walk up the street towards the boats, they have very nice, inexpensive restaurants that you can dine in. If you walk further, you see more restaurants and areas where you can get a local beverage of sorts, even alcohol which was not too expensive.

This was a dream vacation!

I learned two things...Get on the bus on the same side of the road and that takes you to Gros Islet. Get on the bus on the opposite side of the road and that takes you to Castries. Also, you can walk to Gros Islet as well because it's only one mile away from the Villa. In Gros Islet, you have the Friday night "Jump Up" where you can dance, eat and drink all night long with the locals!

Now that's what I call a real vacation! I'm definitely coming back and I definitely recommend the Cleopatra Villas to anyone who wants a delightful stay in St. Lucia.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms at the top! It is Exquisite!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were a party of 4 (2 couples) staying at Cleopatra’s Villas, Harbour unit #14a, in Rodney Bay. Overall, it was a good vacation, but I was underwhelmed with St. Lucia compared to many other Caribbean destinations I’ve visited. We don’t like staying at big hotels and prefer to find a good condo for our trips.

The Cleopatra’s Villas are situated in a great location. When you walk out of the complex, you immediately see restaurants, grocery stores, a mall, taxi stands and more. The beach is an easy 10 minute walk. The Cleopatra’s Villa’s personnel were friendly with the maid be so very nice and helpful. Robert, the manager, was nice and sold us some charcoal. But he did not fix the problems with the unit, which took away from the experience.

The villas use a solar water heating system and it’s quite possible that the water tank is shared with other units. The few times we had access to hot (aka warm) water, we made good use of it for the few minutes it lasted. But, for the most part, we each took cold showers every day.

The advertised WiFi is a misrepresentation and only partially worked from window areas in the bedrooms. The signal must be shared with another unit or units. When it did connect, which was not guaranteed, it was very slow.

The main living areas as well as the bedrooms have door sensors that turn the AC off when you open the door. When you are away, the AC is not on. That means you return to an 85 degree bedroom if you are away for a while. We figured out how to turn on the bedroom AC’s after we exited the room, so at least we returned to a comfortable bedroom temperature. However, the main living room’s AC never worked and Robert only sent someone to look at it 2 days before we left and the repairman could not fix it during our visit. So, we endured sweltering temperatures in the living room and kitchen.

You’ve probably read that St. Lucia has cleaned up a lot of the crime and hustling since the global economic downturn, but the hustling is still plentiful right outside of complex especially with the taxi drivers – both licensed and unlicensed. Taxi prices are high and no matter what you are doing, you will be approached by numerous drivers trying to force you into their taxi. Even though there are 3 taxi stands within a 5 minute walk, you will be approached by 3-6 taxi drivers within 5 minutes. Just ignore them.

The hustler’s on the beach are plentiful, too. If you want something they are selling or renting, be prepared to negotiate and walk away or pay way too much. A $3 float in the US rents for $20 a day at the beach. That is, if you are foolish enough to pay that much. Offer them a reasonable price and if they don’t take it, walk away. They will stop you and continue to lower their price until you reach something “reasonable.” Don’t assume you can just go to the “competition” a little further down the beach. We notice that they were either friendly with each other or working together and watched as they would grill together, eat together and pay the same “man in charge” at times.

There are uniformed police/security officers in the main shopping areas which gives much better piece of mind, but be cautious anyway. There isn’t much to do after 6pm, so make sure you and your friends are entertaining. Besides, it can get a little seedy when it starts getting dark.
We ran into an American who was living in St. Lucia and attending a medical school. She used her local’s discount card for us a few times to save us some money. If you can buddy up with a local, try to do the same and tip the local. The American did tell us that the locals are paid a pittance, so a $1-2 tip will go a long way towards better service.

If you can, bring your own condiments, dry foods, ocean floats, etc. and leave it all behind at the end of your trip. You won’t be able to take your own beer, but be prepared to pay a fairly hefty price even for the local brewed Piton beer. It’s for the bottle deposit. It’s not apparent that you pay a deposit, but you do. The grocery store gives credit for the beer crate (if you buy a case), but not the bottles. It looks like the locals are the only ones who know where to cash in the bottles and they are very happy to take your empties. We gave ours to the maid.

The hamburger meat in St. Lucia has a funny taste which was not limited to a single restaurant. After getting nauseous a few times, we figured out it was the hamburger meat and avoided it. We haven’t determined the composition of the hamburger meat and what may be causing the different taste, but it’s quite possible they blend horse meat with cow meat. They may also be using different spices and additives. I would recommend avoiding the “hamburger” products. The steaks were very good. We even grilled at the villa a few times and had a wonderful time with our meals and friends.

Don’t forget lots of bug spray!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Krakow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed in one bedroom studio. It was actually nicer then on the photos.
I won't be picky about few very small cons.
I can recommend this place. Great value.
Nice view for the bay, swimming pool was in the sun the whole day.
Cleaning lady was doing perfect job.
The contact with the menager Robert was super quick and easy

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

So the previous review was not favourable, well we had a great time in the studio at Villa Cleopatra. The location is ideal with a choice of 3 supermarkets close with the villa facility far exceeding our expectations with a view to die for. The fexability of staying in the studio, eating out, cooking in, and in our opinion, ordering top quality food from Claudia, which seemed to last 3 days is the way we like to holiday, not all inclusive at some over priced hotel. The manager Robert is a top guy, nothing was to much trouble and socially he and Claudia do there best for there guests.. The house keeping manager Cheli worked really hard keeping the studio in good order.
So to sum it up a great time was had by my wife and I, who have already booked for 2014.
Yes Cleopatra Villas did not disappoint

Room Tip: All the rooms are good however the road below can be noisy, with the crickets chirping at night this...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Villa Cleopatra – Rodney Bay, St. Lucia, December 16th – December 23rd, 2012

I could write a small book about my displeasure with Villa Cleopatra but instead I will list the pros and cons so that future vacationers will know what to expect. I rented the entire villa for a week for our family’s annual vacation and we were all quite disappointed. We are seasoned travelers and have deep knowledge of what to expect when renting a villa and Villa Cleopatra under delivered in our opinion.

PROS: the villa has a lovely oceanfront view and is large enough to house a large party.
The housekeeper was very nice and did her best to make us comfortable.

CONS:

The villa is in need of basic upkeep overall and the villa is not adequately manned with personnel to clean the unit after a full rental or during a full rental. The entire villa was supposed to be ready for our use by 2:00 on Sunday and by 5:30 the housekeeper had to leave because the remainder of our party was arriving and did so leaving the oven filthy from the previous guests. It would have been much more efficient to have at least 3 housekeepers clean up the entire villa after a full villa rental. The housekeeper did come in and clean the oven the next day.

The first impression near the front gate is that the place is in desperate need of repair. The outside of the villa is dirty and needs painting and the gate is rusted with peeling paint. It looks terrible. The vegetation was overgrown but was cut while we were there. This did not appear to be a weekly or even bi-weekly trimming.

We rented the entire villa for 7 days checking in on Saturday in the 1 bedroom unit and the remaining units from Sunday – Sunday. The pool was not operational until Friday.

There was no hot water in the 1 bedroom on Saturday evening and absolutely no water on Sunday morning. Additionally on Monday and Tuesday there was no hot water for the entire property. We had 3 senior citizens with us and it was very uncomfortable for them. After discussion with management we were informed that the water was heated with solar power and that the switch was off. The water was never truly hot but bearable after the switch was turned on for us. The 1 bedroom is not adequately lit outside at night. After a call to management, a new bulb was provided for the motion sensor but it never worked.

There were no washcloths provided. We were informed that because of prior issues with previous vacationers that washcloths are not provided. I was informed that they would be ordered for my party. After Wednesday I gave up and purchased washcloths for my family. They were never supplied.

1 Bedroom unit – ant infested. I understand that because of the vegetation surrounding the unit that there will be occasional ants but the unit had ants everywhere and for the entire time even after asking for and having the unit sprayed. A second coat of paint overall would have made this unit more appealing. The walls were dirty.

2 Bedroom unit – there was mold in the kitchen sink, the top of the refrigerator was atrocious and don’t even look in the cabinet underneath the kitchen sink. The TV didn’t carry many channels and light bulbs were missing. The air conditioner did not work in one of the bedrooms but an engineer was sent to fix it after it was reported. It was dirty as well. Caulking in the kitchen and bathroom would go a long way in this unit.

Studio apartment – the ceiling fan was extremely noisy and wobbly and should be replaced. For our own concerns of safety my family member did not use it. The air conditioner and TV didn’t work initially but after a phone call management did come over and replace a battery, which fixed the air conditioner and we were told to use a firmer hand on the TV remote. There was electrical tape holding the remote together. The lampshade in the studio was raggedy and should be replaced.

3 Bedroom apartment – was the nicer unit only because of the view. However the walls are in need of painting, the shade at the kitchen window was raggedy and behind the refrigerator it appears that an animal may be chewing from the outside in. There was rope holding the lattice to the veranda structure….. that was a bit tacky. The light fixture in the kitchen needs to be replaced. There was also the air conditioner/remote issue similar to the studio in two of the bedrooms. The housekeeper fixed this issue.

There is a lot of old equipment and trash underneath the steps leading to the 3 bedroom unit which should be stored elsewhere. One of the family members inadvertently locked her bedroom key in the bedroom on our last night and there was no spare key available, after waiting almost 2 hours she was informed that a locksmith would have to be called to assist and would not be available until 9:00AM the next morning. After push back because of her diabetic needs a locksmith was sent over at 7:30AM the next day to open the bedroom door. She and her boyfriend had to sleep on the veranda.

Rodney Bay, St Lucia is a beautiful island with reasonably priced excursions, a wonderful beach, some pretty decent restaurants and beautiful people. As mentioned earlier my family travels as a group to a different location annually so we have experience and deep knowledge of what to expect when renting a villa. In my opinion Cleopatra Villas is worst place that we have vacationed in. The villa has a lovely view of the marina and sailboats but the villa itself is not really in a desirable location. The villa is dirty and needs painting everywhere with more than just one coat of paint.

The villa has a lot of potential and I hope that someone takes care of the cleanliness and preventative maintenance upkeep issues so that future renters do not experience what my
family experienced during our vacation in St. Lucia. We plan and save for an entire year to vacation together and unfortunately we got a lot less than what we paid for at Villa Cleopatra. The issues encountered are fundamental and can be easily addressed. Overall cleanliness, working remotes, clean lampshades, clean blinds, clean ceiling fans and light fixtures, caulking between rentals, spare keys, washcloths, a fully operational pool for the entire stay and fresh (clean) paint overall would have prevented this negative review.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Not sure if this is quite the right place for this as the Villa Cleopatra is (I think) one specific villa let by Cleopatra Villas at The Harbour in Rodney Bay. However, it's all part of the same gated development and most of my comments are relevant to all CV villas in The Harbour.

This is a lovely place to be based in St Lucia. The location is great (in the north of the island, some 90 mins by cab from the international airport) - Reduit Beach is just a couple of minutes walk away, Your villa will face onto the harbour, all of the best Rodney Bay restaurants are within 2-10 minutes walk and the small pool on the property is almost always quiet. Three different supermarkets are all within a 3-5 minute walk.

We stayed at 14a The Harbour for 4 weeks. The villa itself is great - big, comfortable and with a gorgeous deck just in front of the water, complete with sun beds, chairs and a hammock. The beds are a little soft and the lounge furniture is just a little tired but it is all very comfortable. The kitchen is fine if you want to do a bit of self-catering but after a month where we mainly ate in (just our preference) we missed things like a better blender than the rather sad one provided, but this is being really picky. We were away from home for a month and there was nothing we had real difficulty in preparing.

The manager of the site is Robert Joseph, a thoroughly nice guy who clearly does a fine job of overseeing the place. The grounds team are in every weekday keeping the grass and vegetation looking great, the pool is always clean and any issues get sorted immediately and with no fuss (for us they ranged from a broken tin opener to, more critically, malfunctioning air-conditioning, all of which were addressed immediately). Kerstine, who is responsible for the upkeep of 14a (among others) is a star - a lovely lady who is unfailingly cheerful and happy to fit in her tasks around your needs. Robert will also offer advice on practical things as well as helping you arrange tours.

The place is secure. Two gates in and out controlled by key fob; security guards on at night (don't be put off by this statement - Rodney Bay is very safe to walk around after dark); room safes in the villas. Plenty of parking for cars if you hire (use the bus - cheap, regular and reliable!). Mix of holidayers and some permanent residents. Can't comment on what it is like in high season (we were there in November) but we rarely saw others around the pool or harbour front.

Other stuff -
(i) For Brits this is a electronics-charging delight as St Lucia's colonial heritage means that the power supply is as in the UK - 240v and 'square' pin plugs. Americans and others will need adapters.
(ii) If you want a gym, the best bet is Sportivo, just along the highway towards Gros Islet and above a pizza restaurant. I'll get around to doing a full review but in a nutshell this is a really friendly gym which does what seemed to me to be excellently run classes throughout the day. It also has an aged but working collection of resistance machines and a good set of free weights. Cardio equipment is poor - running machines are ok but just one poorly working bike and a space where the elliptical used to be. For cardio other than a class, run on the beach and swim in the sea!
(iii) Take (or buy) beach towels as the ones in the villa are for pool use only.
(iv) If you want to hire a boat (or if you sail to St Lucia) there is a private mooring a stone's throw from the villa.

Room Tip: 14a is on the ground floor, at the northern end of the complex. It is therefore fairly quiet and get...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed for 10 nights in Villa 1 at the Harbour, a one bedroom property which was ideal for the two of us. Robert Joseph, the owner could not have been more helpful and the villa had everything we needed. The kitchen was very well equipped and there was a very large fridge and freezer.
The housekeeper Kerstine came every weekday and was very cheerful and efficient.
The main advantage of staying at the Harbour is its close proximity to the two excellent supermarkets and a whole range of interesting restaurants. In addition the beach is only a few minutes walk away.
There is a video of the Villa on You-tube which is entirely accurate.
For those who want to avoid crowded tourist hotels or complexes this is an ideal spot and we would have no hesitation in rebooking on our next trip to the Island.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Cleopatra? Share your experiences!