As a 50% off offer the visit to Sandals Grande St. Lucian was probably priced about right, if we had paid the list price then we would have felt cheated.
Sandals sell themselves as being 'all inclusive - luxury', sadly they are now living on name and past reputation as they offer not a lot more than a good 4 Star all inclusive deal, they do not warrant the price.
Idyllic location - yes, nicely laid out wiith mature gardens - yes. Safe clean bathing, safe yes clean not always a change of wind direction bought faeces bobbing into the beach area from somewhere.
The bedroom was a delight, large 4 poster bed (it was so high you almost needed a ladder to get into it) , fridge, large TV, sitting area and a south facing balcony overlooking the lagoon area.
We had room service breakfasts on 3 occasions, waffles, full fried breakfast and fruit, all arrived on time and were hot and obviously freshly prepared.
The main restaurant was average, but despite the blurb about no shorts admitted for dinner, many clients were wearing shorts and had not bothered to dress, this detracted from the 'quality' ambience which Sandals claim. On several other occasions we ate in the the Italian style air conditioned restaurant, this was excellent with one exception - don't have the fish stew it lacked substance and content. The Barefoot in the Sand restaurant was a good bet for grills and steaks although 3 prawns on a skewer with steak was not my idea of 'Surf and Turf'.
Now to my main gripe about the use of the 'all inclusive' tag. All inclusive should mean literally that. On the first night I requested a bottle of Zinfandel with our evening meal, only to be told that only the House Wines were covered by the 'All Inclusive' label, a bottle of Zinfandel would have cost an additional $30, we made do with the pleasant house red!
There is also another pleasantly situated restaurant on a jetty jutting out into the bay, we enquired about that to be told that there was a supplement of $150 per person to eat there. ALL INCLUSIVE???????
Beauty treatments were also available, and, once again with an all inclusive luxury tag one would hope that they would be included, wrong (of course) $150 for a body massage.
Lastly, on the Tuesday of our stay my wife became stuck in the lift (by herself), the lift eventually released her but she was in a state of shock, a senior manager became involved, and after checking blood pressure etc she was pronounced ok and we went on our day excursion. We arrived back in the evening to find that the lift was now out of action but there was no follow up from the hotel management as to my wife's condition, just a bunch of flowers or even a phone call would have been nice. The next day I made my feelings known and the General Manager was involved, it all ended amicably but if Sandals really care the follow up would have been automatic!
In conclusion the holiday was a generally pleasurable experience but didn't come up up to the Sandals hype!
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa And Beach Resort
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Hotel Gros Islet
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Hotel
- Sandals Grande St Lucia
- Sandals Grande St Lucian
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort St. Lucia/Gros Islet
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •301 room, 17 acre resort combines historic British & French flavor•Pigeon Island, home to our annual St. Lucia Jazz Festival, combines historic British & French flavor that unfolds at Sandals•Offers exotic island & international culinary temptations at seven dining options •Ocean & beach view accommodations •Caribbean Sea•A lagoon swim-up pool where guests can swim right up to their patio ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Amex, Travelocity and Otel so you can book your Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.