“Great time, great food and great beach at the Grande” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$235 Spa/Tour Credit!!
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great time, great food and great beach at the Grande”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2005

I was a bit skeptical when deciding for a honeymoon destination after reading some reviews. Luckily, I listened to friends, did my own research and went to Sandals Grande.

The room was good, it was clean and yet towels were sometimes hard to come by. But remember, St Lucia and the beach at the Grande is simply amazing. Why the heck would one spend so much on upgrading your room (all the same) when the place is so beautiful that you hardly stay inside.

As for the restaurants, greatly under-rated...Very good food, especially when you can try the restaurants at all three sandals.

Toscanini's has great food choices and the Olde London Pub was a good place to get a late bite to eat and drink at the Grande.

La Toc Restaurant (Regency St Lucia) was by far one of the best restaurants I've eaten in a while. The lamb chops are to die for.
Kimonos Restaurant was good if you like Japanese food. Both restaurants you need to book in advance.

At Halcyon, try the The Pier Restaurant, food was great. French cuisine with an amazing view.

• Stayed October 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,215)
Hollywood, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2005

My husband and I stayed at The Grande from August 4th-10th. We had an amazing vacation. The beach is incredible. The views from the beach are so much better than the other two properties. Just to give you an idea, the morning bus drops off dozens of people from the other two Sandals resorts so they can use this beach for swimming and watersports. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. It is a large resort, but not overwhelming. There are many nooks and crannies if you want quiet time. Or you can party at the main pool and bar.

We stayed in the standard deluxe room on the first floor. We were a one minute walk from the main pool. The rooms are a good size with a large bathroom and double sink. We saw other rooms that were two and three categories above ours and the ONLY difference was what floor it was on. The size, furniture, etc. is the same. Yes, the room is musty when you go in. This is because they still have carpet in most of the rooms. I live in South Florida, carpet and humid weather are not a good combination. But bring some Febreeze, air out the room when you get in and you will be just fine.

The food is good. Are you going to be overwhelmed? No. It's an all inclusive, they set the menus based on the masses not individual preferences. We were never disappointed with any meal or the service at any restaurant. If you are looking for top of the line gourmet food every night, stay somewhere else. But if you want the convenience of an all inclusive this is a good bet. We tried one other restaurant at the Regency, La Toc. Great food. Excellent service. Probably the best meal we had there.

I would highly recommend visiting Pigeon Island Park which is about a five minute walk down the road from The Grande. It only costs $5 and the views from the top of the mountain are breathtaking. You can see the neighboring island of Martinique as well as across St. Lucia to the Atlantic Ocean. Bring lots of water for the climb. We went on one tour, the catamaran cruise to Soufriere. Excellent trip. You sail down the west coast of the island and have a fantastic view of the Pitons from the water. Then they take you to the Diamond Waterfalls, Sulphur Springs and then lunch at a restuarant on the side of the mountain overlooking the town and the Pitons. Well worth the price.

The only real complaint I have about the hotel is their reservation system for the restaurants. This is why I did not give them five stars. The whole concept is mindboggling. They take reservations one week at a time and if you are not at the front desk or on the phone with them as soon as they start, you are not getting in. Some people are able to get in because it is their last night. You can usually get a reservation for one or two of the restaurants but it's a process. There is no waiting list you can get on to be notified if something opens up and you can just forget about trying to change the time once you have the reservation. The last thing I want to do on vacation is stress about getting a reservation at a restaurant I have already paid to eat at! Meanwhile when we went to our reservation at La Toc 20 minutes early, because that is when the bus dropped us off, they refused to seat us. Even though the restaurant was half empty! We spoke with another couple who went to Kimonos and also found the restaurant half empty.

But don't let that stop you from going, this place is great. We loved it and felt this was the best vacation we have taken so far. We met wonderful people and had a great time at the London Pub almost every night. Just understand that Sandals markets themselves as a luxury, five-star resort. It really isn't. It is however a great place to vacation but just know what to expect when you get there and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

I was at the Grande for my honeymoon from August 1st through the 7th. We lucked out in that there was about 20 minutes of rain the whole week!!! My wife and I absolutely loved the atmosphere. The hotel was so clean, the water was clear, and the beaches were nice.
We had a standard, deluxe oceanfront room and we had no real complaints about it. We didn't think it was worth getting a higher-priced room since we werent really there much except at night and to shower.
We did change rooms after the first night since they were re-tiling the room above us- we were annoyed we did not get the second room in the first place, but it was a minor inconvenience.
The staff is friendly and there was plenty to do there. We did a couples' massage which was very nice and also we went on the sunset cruise- that was really cool as we met 4 other couples and the 10 of us had a really nice time. Other than thatm we didn't do any of the "extras". We tried tubing and snorkeling which were a lot of fun, but mostly we just hung out by the pool and went out to dinner.
I read a lot of reviews about the food and frankly I was expecting it to be much worse than it was. We had 1 bad meal - at Toscanini's and it was really only the main course that we did not like- the appetizers, salad, soup, and dessert were great. La Toc was good food but I wouldn't call it French cuisine. The pier was nice as well. We went to Barefoot a few times for lunch and I liked the chili dogs- me wife did not really like the sandwiches she had, but they werent terrible. What it comes down to is how picky of an eater you are. If you like fish, there is a huge variety. If you don't, you do have limited options. If you are up in time for breakfast, the buffet they set up is really good with plenty of options (eggs, bacon, sauagae, cereal, waffles, pancakes, fruit, cakes, etc.)
Oh yeah- if you want "top shelf" liquor, you need to request it. The first time I ordered a pina colada, it was terrible, but then I was told to request "Malibu" and from then on, the drinks tasted great!!!
The London Pub is cute and a great place to hang out after a day of beaching it and after a heavy meal.
One other word of advice- bring a variety of clothes, especially pants, collared shirts, and closed-toed shoes for the guys- I was glad I did so that we could go to all of the restaurants. We were surprised to see a lot of people dressed up at dinner and it was kind of nice to see everyone in clothes other than shorts, bathing suits, and sandals.
Anyway- I would highly recommend the Grande. The options are many, in my opinion, the complaints are few, and the memories are priceless.

Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2005

We stayed at the Sandals Grande from July 25th - August 1st. Upon arriving into the airport my husband and I decided to skip the hour and a half bus ride to the hotel and opted for the helicopter ride. That was the best $105 per person that I felt we spent. The view was spectacular and it got us to the other side of the Island in about 20 minutes.
Once we got to the hotel we were told that our honeymoon suite was not available and would not be ready until the next day. I did not mind and the next day our things were moved into our suite and we were also given a spa certificate for $150 plus a letter to send back for reimbursement of the difference in room pricing. The butler service was incredible. Tian was our main butler and he was literally at our beck and call. The room was always stocked with liquor and the juices that we preferred. The room was really nice and kept very clean. Housekeeping would come and turn down your bed at night and always give you plenty of towels.
The food was good but I wouldn't brag. We basically stayed at the Grande the entire time for meals because to get to the other hotels you had to take a shuttle and I literally just wanted to relax and not worry about time schedules. We did not try the Italian restaurant because we heard that it was horrible but other than that being picky eaters we were both able to enjoy all of our meals.
One thing I must recommend is the SPA!! They have such an incredible spa and my husband and I enjoyed the Rub A Dub Scrub(couples massage, followed by an exfoliation treatment, then you get into the shower together and then you relax for about 20 minutes in a bubble bath jacuzzi tub surrounded by candles. It was extrememly romantic. We loved it so much that we also booked a couples facial. It was nice to be able to get pampered without leaving each others side.
Another thing that I would recommend doing is going on the Land and Sea Tour(book it though Sandals at the tour desk) It gives you the opportunity to see the Island for what it is and to capture the beauty. Unfortunately the Island in itself is very poor and that was sad to see. After touring the Island(seeing the volcano-which I have to warn you smells really bad-think of middle school and someone dropping a stink bomb, going to the botanical garden) you go and have lunch(which is not great at all) and then it's off on a catamaran to go snorkeling. I enjoyed the water but did not go snorkeling because I was not about to put a mouthpiece in my mouth that I had no idea whose mouth it was in prior. It's amazing how many people didn't even think about this but heyI wasn't about to ruin their fun. You snorkle for about 45 minutes and then it's back on the boat to continue drinking.
The staff at the hotel was very friendly as well. Everytime we would pass someone they would always greet us. If you are looking for somewhere to go on your honeymoon definitely consider the Sandals Grande. I am so happy that we decided to go because it was one of the most romantic places that I have ever visited and it made my honeymoon PERFECT!!!

• Stayed July 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2005

My new wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Grand from July 26th to Aug 2nd. I was a little nervous and anxious at the same time to actually get to see the place after reading many reviews on this site.

THE GOOD

I had a very hard time deciding where to go and picked the Grand because of it's apparent beauty. Well, I definately was not disappointed. It's almost like walking around in a post card! The hotel grounds are beautiful with different species of palm trees, flowers, and bushes. The hotel itself is very spacious and open. The pools are very nice. The main pool was always pretty crowded so we opted for the more private lagoon style pools off to the side of the main pool. The beach was nice too. It's mostly white sand with a few rocks and some hard-packed spots. The water is the clearest water I have ever seen. It was awesome! I was out swimming in 10-15 ft of water and could still see the bottom with ease. The weather was pretty much perfect. The sun was shining and the breaze off the water felt great. It only rained on the last day we were there. Not bad for being in the middle of the rainy season. The Pigeon Island park is well worth the $5 to visit. There are many remains of old military buildings with a little history lesson on a plaque in front of them. You pass most of these on the way up to the old fort. We climbed in sandals so it's not like hiking the Rocky Mountains. There is a nice path all the way to the top. We went just before sunset. We sat on a wall at the top of the fort and watched the sun set out over the Carribean Sea. It was truely one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and very romantic! We also got a couples massage while we were there. It cost $150 and it was worth every penny!

THE AVERAGE

The food was ok. We ate at every resteraunt at the Grand and few at the Regency. I'm not a picky person at all so I enjoyed the meals. My wife is pretty picky and she pretty much enjoyed all the meals too. They weren't the best, but I have had worse. I wouldn't waste time going to La Toc at the Regency. The food there was the worst. The nachos from Barefoot by the Sea and the pizza and hamburgers from room service turned out to be our favorites. The rooms were ok. The first 3 nights we stayed in a Beachfront Lux. It was nice sized with a big bed, a nice bathroom, and a balcony with an awesome view. The last 3 nights we stayed in the Prime Minister/Honeymoon Beachfront Suite. It had two rooms. A living room area with a table, TV with wet-bar, a bathroom with a shower and a balcony. The bedroom had a large four post bed, another TV, a table, a large bathroom with a shower, two sinks, and a spa bath, a closet and a balcony. I liked the suite better. If you have the money, then spend it on the suite. The suite comes with butler service which was at best average. The butlers were very nice but it seemed that they were always busy with others. But they did bring us beach towels, stock our wet-bar with plenty of beer, water, champagne, wine, liquor, and drinks to mix with. The also brought us breakfast in bed every morning. I just think that the Grand needs to hire about 5 more butlers so they can focus there attention on a smaller number of guests. I wouldn't pay for the butler service again, but I would definately get a concierge catagory room.

THE UGLY

The worst part about our trip to the Grand was when we arrived late Tuesday night, our butler informed us that the room we had originally booked (Prime Minister/Honeymoon Beachfront Suite) was not available for the night so we would have to stay in a Beachfront Lux room. We were both disappointed but ready for a bed so we didn't make too much of a fuss about it. Besides, it was only supposed to be one night and he gave us a $150 spa voucher for our troubles. That was cool until the next morning when I called and the butler told me that we wouldn't be getting our suite until Friday, which meant that we only got to spend half of our honeymoon in the room that we had booked and paid for! I don't care what there excuses were, this was just ludicrous. They basically over booked and I got the shaft because of the managements incompetence. To say the least, niether one of us was very happy. I called the hotel manager and he said that they would "spoil" us for our inconvinience. Well, we never got spoiled. The spa vouchers were the only thing we got. It was more of a hastle to get ahold of the butler than before, and if that is their idea of being "spoiled", then they need to take a few lessons in hospitality. They did give me a letter to give to my travel agent for reimbursment for the nights stayed in a lower catagory room. I don't know how much money I will get back, but I will tell you that the total difference for 6 nights stay in our originally booked room and the one we stayed in the first 3 nights was $2000! So basically I only got $1000 worth of the money I paid.

OVERALL

The Grand is a beautiful but poorly managed and operated place. If it were just a beauty contest, I would have given the Grand a rating of 5 or more if I could. But I would have to give them a 1 or less on there people and hospitality skills. I was not impressed at all by any of the staff. There were nice people, but some of them were rude and you could tell they weren't enjoying their jobs that much. I felt going into this deal that taking a trip to the Grand was a gamble, and that's just what it is. There are some payoffs and there are some ripoffs. I guess it's like that everywhere. I would not discourage anybody from going to the Grand. If you're the gambling type, then take a shot, you might get rewarded or you might get robbed.

• Stayed July 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

Sandals is great because it is all inclusive... even the water sports (scuba, water tubing, water skiing etc.) The dive shop guys are great! definatly recomend the scuba (amazing reefs, fish, etc.) Its a nice crowd of people mostly ranging from 25-35. But there isnt much of a "night life". If your looking for a relaxing night time atmosphere you'll definatly enjoy it. The service is good, food is ok (what you would excpect from an all inclusive) The ride from the airport to the resort is literally 1.5 hours. There is an optional helicopter transport ($125/person) that is definatly worth it!!!! Saves a lot of time plus the views are amazing!!!! The rooms are ok... be careful what you pay for because their all the same exact size unless you splurge for the best room. i had the lagoon swim up honeymoon sweet. Worth the price if your looking for some peace and quiet but the size of the room is the same as a standard one.

I had a great time and i would definatly recommend this place. Compared to the other 2 Sandals on the island i heard this one was the best.

NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

My boyfriend and I visited the Sandals Grande in St. Lucia the week of May 11th. (I believe we were the only non married couple). We arrived at the airport and it took us no time to get through. We got on a HOT bus with not much working air but atleast the windows opened. It took us about 2 hours to get to the resort and yes the roads were bumpy and slim but we got to see a lot of the island. We had reservations for the concierge swim up room and were so excited. When we got together with the concierge they told us they were sorry but did not have the room ready for us! I was calm yet so disappointed. They told us they were downgrading us for 1 night (which the room faced the backside of the property and the ocean) but the next night, we could either move to the swim up room, OR since they made a mistake, we could stay in the Butler suite with no extra charges. The regular room was the exact same as the swim out room except for the price and view. We took the Butler suite which overlooked the swimming pool and it had 2 rooms, a refrig, 2 glass sliding doors, 2 bathrooms with 2 showers and a 1 spa tub and we had Butler service who made sure we got the dinner reservations we wanted! We also got a $150 spa voucher for the goof up. We were so impressed with them doing everything they could to apologize for the goof up and it made the trip great! We went to the waterfall in St. Lucia- dont waste your money on that although you do get to see a lot of plants and flowers on this trail. The sulfer springs volcano- smelled terrible! A lot of people did the horse back riding and loved it! The restaurants were good and you could go to the different Sandals resorts. The French rest was great, Japanese wasnt so great and the Italian was good. My favorite was the rest. on the beach at the grande where you go barefoot. The drinks were wonderful, hospitality was good, people did games at the pool daily and you could also go out and do sports on the beach and in the water. I did get an eye infection and had to go to the nurse onsite. The doctor came to our room and it was $100 for the visit and $20 for the eye drops. When we came back to the US the receipt didnt have enough info so my insurance did not cover it. The doctor was good though and the nurses called to check on me daily. I would recommend the Grande though over the other St. Lucia Sandals. The Butlers were awesome, we had our own AC van going back to the airport and it was a nice trip!

Been to Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!