My wife & I went to Sandals Grande St Lucia in March to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, & we were not disappointed. We paid a bit more & went "Club" level & the Lover's Walk- in Pool room which I would suggest unless you just can't afford it. For us it was a special occasion so I didn't mind spending a bit more. I wasn't sure what Club level meant, but you do get a bit more special attention. Club level has special lounge, easier check-in & out, special assistance if needed & a place you can go for getting info & making reservations. You also get special Club-level activities, like a wine & cheese party. We had a fridge in our room they kept stocked w/ what we drank & a stocked bar in room.
The walk-out room was very special. We loved the wading pool we could walk into right from our small patio w/ our own private floats & even tho other rooms walked out to same meandering pool, it was quite private. We enjoyed room service breakfast on the patio one morning ( nice & quiet). Sandals had champagne on ice & flower petals everywhere when we walked into our room, as they knew it was our anniversary.
The food all week was very good. Yes, portions are smaller than you might get at a regular restaurant but the beauty of that is you can try everything. It's all inclusive, so order & try more things! We especially liked Barefoot by the Sea.
Make sure you make reservations for the "special" restaurants the 1st day. We ate at Toscanini's & Kimono's, the Japanese restaurant, at La Toc. My wife liked the cucumber-infused saki wine in its special "glass" at the sushi bar connected to the Japanese restaurant. We had candlelight dinner for two on the beach at the Grande on the night of our anniversary. (That costs extra - not included.).
The shuttle from the airport is long for sure & the Grande is the farthest from the airport. Personally we didn't mind the ride so much, you get to see the island. Actually sitting around waiting at the airport on departure day was worse than the ride there, in my opinion!
Locals do walk the beach trying to sell tours & water sports but they weren't as intrusive @ the Grande as they were at Halcyon the afternoon we visited there. We booked a speed boat island tour on the beach & it was a lot of fun. Comparing the 3 Sandals on St Lucia,we liked Grande the best as everything is close by but not crowded & you can walk the entire resort easily. The Halcyon is the smallest & didn't seem to have as many activities. La Toc is nice but very hilly, & I would think you'd get tired of walking between buildings - more spread out with hills. Grande had enough spaces you could find plenty of quiet, private places or join all the activities at the main pool. It has several pools of various sizes.
We relaxed with a couples massage at the spa - was private & includes a sauna, hot tub & cold plunge pool. Steam rooms were not working. Staff at the Grande was friendly & helpful although we have seen friendlier at other places. That being said, no one was rude & we always got what we wanted. The only real complaint we would have is that Room 4116 is at the end of the building & we heard the air conditioner & ice machine all night. But being at the end of the walk-out pool made it nice & private. All-in-all, Sandals Grande was wonderful. We'll most certainly return to Sandals.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •301 room, 17 acre resort combines historic British & French flavor•Pigeon Island, home to our annual St. Lucia Jazz Festival, combines historic British & French flavor that unfolds at Sandals•Offers exotic island & international culinary temptations at seven dining options •Ocean & beach view accommodations •Caribbean Sea•A lagoon swim-up pool where guests can swim right up to their patio ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Expedia, Despegar.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Hotel Gros Islet
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa And Beach Resort
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort St. Lucia/Gros Islet