Let me say first of all, that we had chosen the Grande to be married at 5 years ago, because we were told by everyone we asked that it was the best Sandals had to offer. And I believe that was true back then. Since then we have been to the Whitehouse in Jamaica three times and have fallen in love with the place.
The Grande is still a beautiful resort and you can not find a more breath taking island in the Caribbean. But the resort is getting older and needed maintenance hasn't been done. We were at the returning guests dinner and one of the managers brought this up without us mentioning it. He said that the old management team had been replaced with a whole new team because the maintenance had not been kept up with. I don't know how much of that statement is true, since from what I hear, the old manager has been given the job of managing the new Grenada Sandals. Doesn't sound like a job that would be given to someone that messed up. Anyway, you can see that they are working hard to bring things back to level. The decking around the beach bar is rotting, but they are in the process of replacing it. The hot Tubs were either cold or boiling, but they were constantly working on them. And of course there is the constant painting and trimming of bushes. One thing I was surprised at is the we had a 4th floor room. An absolute beautiful view of the resort and the cove, but the rotting eves overhead took away from the view.
As for the rest, we did a vow renewal and I was amazed that it was actually nicer than the actual wedding 5 years ago. The wedding staff was great and handled everything perfectly.
All the restaurants were very good, but don't miss any special dinners. I am not a fan of Buffets but the Monday night beach party featured some fantastic food, and for Valentines Day all the restaurants had a special menu that was one of the best meals I have had in a long time. The one thing I would say is if you are comped for a meal at Gordan's go for it, but if you have to pay for it don't bother. Any of the other restaurant have as good or better food and alot less hassle.
As I said, we have been really impressed by the Whitehouse, but I think the Grande is second best in the line and may just climb back up to first again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •301 room, 17 acre resort combines historic British & French flavor•Pigeon Island, home to our annual St. Lucia Jazz Festival, combines historic British & French flavor that unfolds at Sandals•Offers exotic island & international culinary temptations at seven dining options •Ocean & beach view accommodations •Caribbean Sea•A lagoon swim-up pool where guests can swim right up to their patio ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Venere so you can book your Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Hotel Gros Islet
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa And Beach Resort
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort St. Lucia/Gros Islet