“New To Sandal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Fredericksburg
“New To Sandal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I spent our anniversary at Sandals Grande, St. Lucia. As we travel to different adult all inclusive hotels, I thought I would give you my thoughts and experiences at this one.

First, the main reason I gave a "very good" rating to this establishment is because of three people. Prisca, Gus and Imran. They went above and beyond my expectations in customer service; especially, Prisca.

Room: Since the room for us, is merely a place to lay our heads, for us it was adequate. I found the bed to be comfortable enough to have a decent nights rest; especially after a long day on the beach.

Pool: The pool was beautiful. If you want a chair/lounger, I suggest you mark your spot early as the chairs fill up pretty quickly.

Beach: The beach is also beautiful and well maintained. Here too, I would suggest arriving early to get a chair or cabana.

Food: Left a lot to be desired with the exception of the Italian restaurant. Unfortunately, this restaurant requires a reservation. I suggest you book it days in advance of the evening you actually want to attend. The Gordon Restaurant was by far the worse meal I encountered at the resort.

Service: The wait-staff was very, very nice and accommodating. I only had a problem with one young lady at the reception desk. I found her to be extremely rude. There was a mistake on my bill where we were going to be charged for a phone call that we didn't make. When I brought it to her attention, she told me she would take care of it. When we were checking out, I realized that she didn't take care of it; however, thanks to Lance, the charge was removed. When I spoke to her about it, she had an "oh well" attitude. I wish I'd gotten her name, because she would be on blast here!

Tours: We only did the Simon Says Tour which was well worth it. Word of caution: I would suggest that if you're interested in purchasing the special soap, that you purchase it at one of the vendors outside of the waterfall.

Drinks/Alcohol: I didn't find the drinks to be appealing. I drink top shelf liquor and that wasn't an option. I also didn't care for the wines or beer.

Travel time: It took almost two hours to get to the property from the airport. Essentially, we lost the entire first day. If a helicopter is in your budget, you may want to explore that option.

Now, would we go back? Maybe. Would we try another Sandals property? Definitely.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,077)
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Location is beautiful, St. Lucia is gorgeous, so its hard not to enjoy a stay on the island.

I did however find that the resort was not up to what sandals made it out to be.

Service and food at this establishment was mediocre to put it generously - which made me trek to other restaurants on the island -as I love Caribbean food.

At the end oft he day, I still made the best of it and enjoyed myself, thanks to St. Lucia and its beautiful people.

I will definitely be back to St. Lucia, but will likely stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I spent our 10th Anniversary at Sandals Grande St. Lucia and we had a fabulous time. The resort was lovely, the beach was beautiful, and the people were so friendly. The staff provided some activities for folks that wanted to mix and mingle, but it wasn't overwhelming so that couples who wanted to relax together could still do that as well.

We used Missy at Beach Bum Vacations to book our trip and everything went great. It was really nice to work with someone who has been to all the resorts and could help us pick the best location for what we had in mind. We have planned two sandals vacations with Missy and wil be using her for our next one.

I visited the Red Lane spa and had the pedi-on-the rocks. Do it, it's the best pedicure I've ever had! Well worth the money. We did the couple massage as well and both felt that while it was relaxing it felt a bit like the ladies were following a protocol rather than trying to work our knots in tired muscles.

Overall we would highly recommend this resort!

Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The resort is very good but not as good as Antigua. Staff are excellent apart from a couple of times when they must have been having a bad day or we were being to demanding. The main issue is the weather. We left a very wet Scotland flying domestic then international with an overnight in London so 24 hours later we expected wall to wall sunshine. Not the case I'm afraid in the 7 days we have been here rain has featured every day to one degree or another it is constantly cloudy and very windy. It's certainly not cold and we are getting a tan but its getting a bit annoying constantly looking to see when the next rain squall comes in and Mother Nature must be reading this as here it comes again. Lets hope the next 7 days gets better as if not I will seriously consider other options to the carribean that might not be as idyllic but closer to home with hot weather eg the canaries

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We just got back from our 10 day honeymoon @ the Sandals Grande. As soon as you land your Sandals experience begins. You are directed towards the sandals lounge (avoid getting help from a porter as the walk is literally 10 seconds long) where you're served cold water and have access to clean washrooms. At this point you'll either board the Sandals shuttle, private transfer (I'd recommend this) or a shuttle to the helicopter. The ride to the hotel by vehicle is close to 2 hours, so make sure you grab a few bottles of water for the way!

As soon as you arrive you'll be greated by the wonderful staff who take care of all your luggage and offer you a nice cold facecloth! A Sandals rep will be waiting for you at the entrance, she will explain a bit about the hotel and tell you times when the hotel tours will be taking place (definitly go on this tour, they give you lots of hints/tricks).

Our room was on the main floor in building 3, facing away from the main pool area. The positives of this room were that it was very close to the main pool/bar and was very quite. The view was not the best though.

If you are in the market for a tour I'd suggest taking either Ocean Angle (we took this and it was pretty good) or Simon Says. Both tour the same locations on the island and are aprox the same price/length of time. Another fun activity is Seadoing- you can rent them from a booth right beside the water activity area. Its a fun way to explore the bay and get a closer look at all the boats in the area!

I'd suggest making reservations for the restaurants on your first day there to avoid them getting filled up. Our top 2 favorites were La Toc and Toscanini's.

Drink choices were pretty good- they have 2 kinds of beer, 4 types of wine and pretty much every type of hard alchol you can imagine. I'd recommend bringing a drink cozy with you to keep your bevy's cool longer.

Overall this was a great place to stay, it was our first all inclusive holiday and we loved every minute of it!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We've just returned from a VERY DISAPPOINTING week at Sandals Grande, St Lucian. The resort itself is very nice as is the location. The lobby area is great with the bar elevated and looking over the sea.

I have visited 3 different Sandals resorts all off which were great, I didn't visit last year but when I visited this year I noticed a huge drop in quality of service and a huge drop in quality of food.

The food is only worthy of a three star restaurant. Most meals we had were served Luke warm at best. I only visit 5 star resorts as my wife and I like nice food and feel a nice evening meal (served hot) is an important part of the holiday, so we were very disappointed indeed. When we've visited Sandals prior the food has been great, so I can only assume what with the economy being the way it is especially in the states and with Sandals being an American company that they are cutting back on training costs and having a fully trained American manager overseeing every thing. I cannot believe the change, it really is that bad.

The food servers are clumsy, bordering on incompetent. They will walk over and immediately slam plates down knocking over anything in their path. If this food was served in a restaurant at home, believe me you would not expect a bill.

I did actually have one very good meal, and this reminded me of Sandals of the past. It was a Gordon's pier restaurant. This restaurant is reserved for guests who have Butler Service. However they will let non Butler customers in (such as myself), but only for a charge of 70 US dollars per head. The service was good and so was the food being nice and hot and tasty.

The problem we, and around 12 other customers we spoke to is. If they can do it well but only if you pay 70 US dollars per head per meal. I think this is an insult to all Sandals customers. The service and food in Gordans should be set out across all the restaurants. After all we pay enough to visit in the first place.

Some one at Sandals needs to start reading these reviews (as there is a pattern emerging) and do something positive, everyone I spoke to said they will not return to Sandals due to their opinion that it is no longer 5 star.

I am of the same and will not be returning.

Need to go online now to book next years hol WITH A DIFFERENT HOTEL CHAIN.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We strive to uphold the highest standards of service and quality. Being return guests, you know what to expect and you know our high standard. Our staff goes through countless hours of rigorous training each year to ensure we are providing excellent guest experiences. We have many guests that boast of our luxurious inclusions, water sports, fine dining, accommodations and quality of staff but as hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and your feedback is appreciated.

We are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities so I will be sure to send your feedback to the relevant departments to ensure that other guests do not share your experience.

Thank you for your review and for your loyalty. We hope to welcome you back again for a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Cassie C.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have now been here three times in the last 14 months for a total of 32 nights and it just keeps getting better and better. The resort and amenities are terrific, the Scuba Diving is the best in the Caribbean, but it is the staff and management that make this place a rare jewel!

At the front desk Krystal knew us from our first day, and has done nothing but make us feel like we were the most important people she knew as well as making us feel like we are family. Her whole team, from Reo up through to the managers, support her and do the same!

In the Restaurants the food is great but again it is the smiling faces and the incredible people that make us savor every meal and snack. Shervon and Kelvin in thOlde English Pub are Amazing and Michelle at Gordon's treats us like royalty!

We go for the Scuba diving so I have to mentions our "family" there. Mike, the boat's captain is a jewel! St Rose, Hiram, Martin, Pamela, Natalia, Romanus, Kerney, and many more are the best team we have ever known and will bring us back time and time again!

Thank you for making this paradise on earth for us, we can never repay the joy you all give us! We will be back soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!