“Great Honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Athens, Texas
“Great Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We just returned from our Honeymoon and this place was exactly what we hoped for and some more. We checked in to our butler room, spent our first night and the next morning got a call asking if we wanted to upgrade rooms...I'm sure someone wanted to pay more and upgrade to ours, or they were overbooked, but nonetheless we got moved to the William Jefferson Clinton Presidential Suite. Phenomenal! Couldn't have been better for our honeymoon.

This resort definitely caters to the younger crowd with the events/clubs at night, etc. but we saw all ages. The food was great at all restaurants, with several choices to choose from. The pub is a cool place for good snacks late night with some drinks. Gordon's restaurant, out on a pier, is complimentary for those staying in a butler suite, or for a cost for others, and I highly recommend trying it regardless. The pool is nice, swimup bar is great, and beach is clean. Drinks could have been stronger but that's always the case at all-inclusive in my experience. Just ask the bartender after they make your drink to give an extra splash and they will.

We also traveled over to La Toc to eat at the Komono hibachi restaurant whish was very good, my only complaint is the time to get from Grande to La Toc can take awhile with traffic on the island. The ride from the airport to the Grande was over an hour and I highly recommend a private car. Several couples we met said they had a helicopter take them from the airport which would have been very cool seeing the island, but I'm sure its $$.

Strongly consider a butler suite, aas they are above and beyond with everything. Ours called a couple times asking if he could get us anything as apparently we weren't using him as much as he's used to. We also had all the drinks and liquors we requested beforehand stocked in our room.

Only negative I remember was that my wife and I sleep with our room cold, and we never could get our AC unit with fans to cool it down quite as much as we like, but we still slept ok.

My last positive was on our departure day my wife left one of her rings (not wedding thank goodness) in the room and didnt realize until we were halfway to the airport. Our driver called the Grande, got our butler on the line, he searched the room, found it and had it sent with another driver to the airport to us.

There may be more secluded, quiet, romantic resorts on the island (Jade Mountain, Anse Chastanet) but you will pay for it, and it wont be all inclusive either. You wont be dissapointed with the Grande.

Room Tip: If you're on the fence get a butler room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,077)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I really only have 1 complaint about the resort: the food wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. It was decent, but not great. The best meal we had at the resort was at the Italian resturant, Toccolini's. The best meal we had on the island was lunch on the Simon Says tour. The drinks weren't very strong, but just ask for more booze and problem solved. The service was excellent, the staff was very friendly and they are always around to help but never pushy. The island motto is "No pressure, no problem" and they live by that. For the little amount of time you spend in your room, they were nice. If at all possible, avoid the English pub. That is the weak spot of the resort. The service there is by far the worst. It takes forever to get waited on, then it takes forever to get food and drinks. Overall the English pub gets and F in my book. The resort in a whole gets an A. The pool was fun, the beach is private, the activities are amazing. Definitely a trip I would take again. Beware though, when we went during the first week of October, 95% of the couples that were there were on their Honeymoon. Not that that should intimidate you from going, just a heads up. Best part of the resort, NO KIDS!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have travelled a lot around the world and generally enjoy our holidays very much. The Caribbean always suits as the weather is spectacular and the people fabulous. As a first time to St Lucia we were excited for the discovery of a new island. And it did not disappoint however this resort did on many levels. I could not get away from the feeling that overall the way the resort is run is very far from 'luxury included' if at all possible saving money and extracting more money from guests is fair game in every direction it kind of left an uncomfortable feeling from trips off resort, internet connectivity, to the spa and the very disneyland ish photo booth (for memories of your holiday!) - all at prime prices.

The room was adequate and we were fortunate to have a spot away from the pool but next to the airconditioning units. It is luck of the draw but overall the room itself was tired with lots of cracks and tired fittings, - but a very comfortable bed and very efficient air conditioning.

The food while generally nice did not change in any of the restaurants, which mystified me, I guess as the general guest is only 7 days there is enough without needing to rotate at all. On the basis that the staff cook the same stuff day in day out it should be superb but sadly it was not, Basics like cooking an omelette seemed to be challenging.

Overall the place was adequate, the staff everywhere were great and other guests fun to be around but this was not the wonderful escape that I hoped it would be. Sandals is a safe choice but not the exceptional holiday experience it promises in the marketing materials.Oversold and under delivered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
We regret to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We always want to ensure that we are offering the highest standards of luxury and accommodations to our guests and unfortunately, during your stay, we did not quite meet that goal. For this, we apologize. Thank you for your valuable feedback. We certainly hope that you will afford us the opportunity to exceed your expectations during a future stay with us. We look forward to offering you the amazing and exceptional experiences for which we are known.

Cassie C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We went to Sandals Grande for our honeymoon the week of September 30th and had an amazing time! This was our first stay at Sandals and we were both very impressed. I've stayed at other all-inclusives & Sandals is the best yet. I'm not sure why people complain about the ride from the airport to the resort. Yes, it's an hour & a half with some curvy roads, but it did not make us sick and you also get a tour of the island. Sandals has their own lounge with refreshments at the airport while you wait for your shuttle. I advise not to give your bags to anyone at the airport, the lounge is only a few steps away.

We had a standard honeymoon suite on the 2nd floor with a lagoon view, it was clean and quiet and close to the lobby. We were shown to the room & arrived to a bottle of champagne and flowers which was nice. We didn’t have alcohol stocked in the frig but we would just go to the bar and bring drinks back so that wasn’t a problem. The room was perfect for us.

We absolutely loved the food! We tried every restaurant at the Grande and enjoyed all of them. If you want a late lunch or afternoon snack go to Josephine’s for pizza or fresh crepes, delicious. Definitely do the beach bbq on Monday night, very good & many different choices! The drinks were good, but we wished they had more than 2 beer choices, the only 2 are Heineken and Piton.

We did the candlelight beach dinner one night. The food was delicious however I felt like our server was rushing us. (This was probably the only negative about the trip). I think because we had changed our night & were told 8:00. When we arrived our server said it was for 7:30 so I felt like she was rushing us through dinner. But we talked to others and their experience was different.

The beach was absolutely gorgeous! We always found chairs in both sun & shade. The water is crystal clear and very refreshing. The grounds are beautiful and kept very clean. The servers are great, will walk around & serve you drinks on the beach. The pool bar is fun and always has music playing. I do wish they played more island music though! We only did one excursion which was the Simon Says tour and would definitely recommend it. A fun boat ride tour of the island, snorkeling, mud bath, waterfall & good local island lunch. There is also plenty to do at the resort itself, or you can relax & do nothing. Staff are all very friendly and helpful.

All in all, we had an amazing honeymoon! We’d love to go back to St. Lucia someday and would like to try other Sandals now.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I have been to 3 other Carribean Islands on several occasions previously so we have experience of the islands, the climate, the food and drink, people and places. This was our first time in a Sandals resort and will be our last. The greatest asset and the best thing about the entire resort is the staff. They work very hard, are polite, helpful, always happy to help. We had a 9 night stay - all inclusive. The room was clean and comfortable and a decent size. However unless you are in concierge or butler level accomodations, it becomes clear you are a 2nd or 3rd class guest. This is not a reflection of the staff, but the policies and rules put in place by Sandals. In the year 2012 please tell me who in the world travels with a stack of cd's ?! Nobody I hear you say, well then why on earth do they give you a cd player/alarm clock. Get modern Sandals and install ipod/mp3 player docking stations, this is not the 1990's.

The Spa offered a good range of treatments and the staff are again lovely and helpful, but the treatments are very expensive so be aware.

2 of the restaurants on the property require bookings - Toscaninis and Gordons. Gordons is included for butler level guests, otherwise expect a $140 (US) surcharge. After looking at the menu, we decided there was nothing we wanted to eat that would be worth the surcharge. If you do want to eat at Toscaninis then make sure you book a few nights as soon as you arrive, as the limited places go quickly, unless you want to eat really early or really late. Or if you get a booking at a decent time you may find yourself 'bumped' for butler level guests!
We did eat at Bayside a couple of times, but the menu never changes and we think it was the meals there that gave both my wife and I 2-3 days each of sickness. Lets just say we had to stay close to a bathroom for a couple of days each.
Overall the food across the entire resort was average to below average. Small portions, limited menu choices, bland food, medium to low quality ingredients and no consistency. Some days the chefs had good days and cooked things properly, other days they over cooked/under cooked/ improperly mixed ingredients. We did go to Sandals La Toc for a meal at Kimonos the Japanese teppanyaki restaurant. Very average meal, and we could not get more than 1 drink from the miserable looking staff there. What we did get was over heated, poor quality sake.
I would like to say that breakfast at Toscanini's (no booking required) were the best meals we had at Sandals, but again it really depended on which chef was working that day.

All the bars on the resort will serve you the generic non-branded liquer unless you ask for a branded liquer by name. If you are in a concierge or butler level room then you can expect a stocked in room bar with all the drinks you want, otherwise expect just a few bottles of soft drinks in the room (coke/diet/ginger ale/sugar filled fruit concentrate/still water). If you ask for water at any bar or restaurant then expect tap water. We ended up buying bottled water from the onsite shop.

A daily schedule of activities is delivered daily, and take place for the most part in or around the main pool. These activities all tend to include a backdrop of horribly dated/unintelligible local noise, overly loud music pumped at your face. Thankfully there is a quiet pool to the side of the main pool where you can relax and almost ignore the noise, or you can escape to the beach a few yards away. The grounds include beautiful, well tended gardens with an amazing array of flowers. Unfortunately the gardening is carried out all day-every day, which means that some days you can expect the rancid smell of fertilizer spead over the plant beds, or someone cutting the grass with an unprotected strimmer which fires a stream small stones at you while you relax on a sunbed..or alternatively someone wandering around with a loud leaf blower.

The evening events which involve local talent are the best (amazing local guitar player/steel band/traditional dancing ladies, although I would avoid the beach barbeque event (poor food).

The managers cocktail party is a thinly veiled attempt to get you drunk and get you to spend more money with Sandals.Yes there are locals selling you stuff on the beach, or sitting in boats just outside the marked swimming areas. I would strongly recommend taking the Exodus tour with Vincent (local guy). The hotel arranged tour will cost you a lot more and have a lot more people crammed on the boat.

After doing extensive research before we went, we had fairly low expectations of what to expect from a Sandals resort and they were met. Not somewhere we will ever return to.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main pool should expect music/noise day and night.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We went for our honeymoon and it was awesome! From the food the beach everything was perfect! The service is unbelievable and everyone on the island was so friendly. We did two excursions and they were great, but there is plenty to do at the resort if you don't want to spend any extra money.

• Stayed September 2012
Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This review is slightly overdue. I chose to write it now because I realized that people are asking me about it and this might be helpful.

If you are going on a romantic vacation where the place caters to your every whim, this sandals resort will not disappoint.

The beach is on a little bay. If your pleasure is "long walks" on the beach...this is not the resort. Try the sandals regency closer to town. The grand is a very long drive from the airport. We took a very affordable helecopter back to the airport instead and was happy we did. The water in the pool is soooo cold that you barely can sit at the pool bar. I squated on the bar stool most of the time, because I didnt want to go in to the cold. Too cold to even get used to. When I complained to the bar tender, he said that people prefere it cold because it's so hot out. Ummmm NO!! I think they keep it cold so that they dont have to clean it as often. Surroundings are absolutely breathtaking and the food was excellent. Jerk chicken on the beach to die for!!! Met some great people....but other then the pool fun, there was not enough to do at night. The resort is far from any nightlife....and pricey to go anywhere. For the cost of the stay, there should have been a much better night club.

I would not return to Sandals for a couple reasons.

One is the price. I have found MANY MANY resorts that offer better service and just as good food for half the price.
Two: The only real things to do at the resort is eat and swim...beach is too small to walk on and jet skiing is 90 buck for 20 minutes!! Then you try to go in the pool and it's ICE water!!!!

The experience was Grand....no regrets.....not going back!

St. Lucia is an island that should be on everyone's bucket list. The people are grand and beautiful. It's refreshing to visit an island where most of the people living there WANT to be there. They look at :you: and feel bad that you have to go home!!

Weddngs there with a large group would be amazing if you have deep pockets!!

Room Tip: All rooms face the water.....
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!