“Perfect but for the breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

The Ginger Lily Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rodney Bay | P.O. Box cp 6013, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #9 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
Barbados
“Perfect but for the breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

The room is like a studio apartment. You even have a mini fridge and a little verandah with your own hammock. Its across the road from the beach - literally 100 m. There are eating places all around and a big supermarket 0.5 km up the road. Great place to stay with helpful staff. My only complaint would be the breakfast. For a continental breakfast they could do better than white sliced bread toasted. St Lucia has good bakeries and some nice warm rolls or wholewheat bread would not be a big stretch. I was there for a very short stay but I presume if you are there longer you would buy some breakfast stuff. They do sell a cooked breakfast but you can see why the continental they offer is free.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Although I have been to St Lucia many times, this was my 1st time staying at The Ginger Lilly Hotel. I will return ! The location is excellent and the staff is awesome ! Within walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants and the beach. It is clean, has AC and is in a safe area.

Room Tip: Superior deluxe or upper deluxe -small boutique hotel across from St Lucia's Redhuit Beach. Clos...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We loved everything about this hotel. If you are traveling to Rodney Bay, highly recommend staying at this hotel. The staff were great, the ground were clean, the rooms were great for the price you pay. The location was perfect in Rodney Bay. If we ever return to Rodney Bay, we would definitely stay at Ginger Lily again. Thanks again Ginger Lily!

Room Tip: Room 8 was perfect!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Having done the luxury hotel thing around Soufrière, we chose the Ginger Lily for four nights, looking for something simple and charming, an antidote to the bombast of the big hotels, if you will. And in many ways, this little hotel works well.
Generally, it's well appointed with its dozen or so rooms arranged around a small but perfectly usable swimming pool. With not many guests, the hotel is quiet and relaxing (indeed, I was surprised at how quiet the whole Reduit Beach strip is). The beach is just across the road and there are many fine restaurants all around you.
Our room was spacious and very clean (although servicing of the room through our stay was a bit hit-and-miss: for example, it took until day three before the maid thought to venture out onto the balcony to empty the ashtray). It had a small kitchen area: a refrigerator to keep a beer or two in and a sink (previous reviews suggest that some rooms have cooking facilities?).
But, you have this nagging sense that simplicity gives way to mean cost-cutting. At any one time, there is only one member of staff present, whose duties include manning the front desk, answering the telephone and serving up breakfast. So often, when you have a quick question to be answered, there's nobody about to help. Not the end of the world, but annoying. Expect to carry your own cases up to your first floor room.
Halfway through our stay, we reported that one of the hinges of the toilet seat had broken (we're pretty sure that we didn't break it...?). Nothing was done about it and I suspect it would still be broken when the next guests checked in. Similarly, after day one, the shower developed an annoying drip, but this also remained unresolved.
But the pièce de résistance is the included continental breakfast, which consists of coffee, juice, two slices of toast and a yoghurt. And that's your lot. I don't like yoghurt so I enquired if there was any fruit. I could have a banana. Really? A whole banana? In fact, part way through our stay, they appeared to run out of yoghurt, so then it was a banana whether you wanted it or not. Could there not be a selection of fruit, maybe some cereal, a little cheese? You can pay extra to upgrade to a cooked breakfast, but why would you bother? You either put up with it and grab a slightly larger lunch (as we did) or, if you're going to spend the extra cash, you walk across the road to Spinnakers restaurant and get a proper breakfast.
The room got too hot and stuffy at night to sleep without air conditioning, and our A/C was a bit fierce, so we woke up every morning feeling cold. Around Soufrière, we had been sleeping in naturally ventilated rooms (slatted doors and windows) under mosquito nets, so maybe we were a little spoiled. Also, we picked up lots of insect bites here, but whether that is down to the hotel, or the area in general, I don't know...
I guess this review sounds more negative than it's intended to be. You get what you pay for and the Ginger Lily isn't expensive. We did enjoy our stay. It's just that, with a bit more investment in, say, staff and breakfast (and yes, with a few more dollars on the room rate), this could be a really special place. As it is, it's okay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Comfortable, clean, spacious room and across street from beach. Small pool, but not many guests, so we only saw a few other people during our stay. Continental breakfast is just toast, yogurt, juice and coffee. Good restaurant options within walking distance. Would stay here agan.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Ginger Lily boutique-ish hotel was comfy and homey! I enjoyed the close proximity to both the beach, the restaurants in the area, and ease of shopping amenities down the road. This main strip of roadway is literally situated close to all amenities and is part of the "hub" for many of the other hotels that line both the beachfront and side street.....if you're not keen on driving, a car is not necessary, unless you plan on taking a day trip to other parts of the island.
I enjoyed the convenience of also having a quaint but handy pool in the courtyard for a change of pace...especially since I had recent knee surgery and I was able to stay at pool side for part of my stay! The staff was very gracious and helpful. The custodial staff was also kind and cleanliness was never an issue.
The only comment I would make is that I found the rooms somewhat dated, yet very spacious. I really liked the walk-in shower that was in my room!
I would stay here again...maybe on my next visit...and it would be great to see some room specials being offered to returning would-be vacationers or customers.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor rooms had high vaulted ceilings with ceiling fans and from what I saw the rooms were e...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to St. Lucia for our honeymoon and booked 9 nights in the ginger lily hotel. At first glance it is in very good condition and literally right across the street from the reduit beach. The staff was all very nice and even helped us find restaurants around the area and with other questions we had. We stayed in room five which I believe is called an upper deluxe. When booking we asked for their best room and they told us on more than one occasion that room five was their honeymoon suite. The room was decent but it was the same as all the other rooms on the floor. Secondly they kept telling us that their best room, yet while reading reviews they have these executive suites that have kitchens and dining areas. I thought that was a little weird. Anyway back to our room; it was overall pretty spacious and nice and appeared clean. Yet on top of our bed railing was a good later of dust and even worse out fan was caked in it. I promise I'm not exaggerating when I say there was close to a half inch layer of dust on each fan blade. It was pretty gross. Another con was that our shower head would constantly leak past a drip, it didnt matter how much we turned the knobs. Now the sound didnt drive us crazy but as the trip went on my wife woke up every day with more and more mosquito bites. And as our stay progressed we would find more and more Mosquitos in the bathroom and we never opened the shutters. Now although I can't say for sure, Mosquitos breed in standing water and the bottom of our shower was constantly in puddles due to the faulty shower head. Other than that the whole first week of our stay they had construction going on just on the other side of the fence. Too make it worse it was heavy drilling and tile breaking work. I totally understand work can't be stopped due to some tourists on a vacation but did they really have to start at 7 in the morning?! We went to the continental breakfast one day and it's pretty basic; toast juice and yogurt. It was ok except for both of our yogurts were over four months expired. They were both dated April of this year and for dairy that's too big of a risk for us. The only other thing that kinda irritated me was one night the security guard told me to re park the car after I as well as other cars were parking in that spot the whole time. The driveway was small and we weren't blocking any path or spot nor did the staff ever say anything about the spot. Now that last complaint was a little subjective but I believe my other complaints were valid yet small and should be easy to fix if this review is taken seriously.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Ginger Lily Hotel? Share your experiences!