“Good location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
Charleston, South Carolina
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Comfortable, clean, spacious room and across street from beach. Small pool, but not many guests, so we only saw a few other people during our stay. Continental breakfast is just toast, yogurt, juice and coffee. Good restaurant options within walking distance. Would stay here agan.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Ginger Lily boutique-ish hotel was comfy and homey! I enjoyed the close proximity to both the beach, the restaurants in the area, and ease of shopping amenities down the road. This main strip of roadway is literally situated close to all amenities and is part of the "hub" for many of the other hotels that line both the beachfront and side street.....if you're not keen on driving, a car is not necessary, unless you plan on taking a day trip to other parts of the island.
I enjoyed the convenience of also having a quaint but handy pool in the courtyard for a change of pace...especially since I had recent knee surgery and I was able to stay at pool side for part of my stay! The staff was very gracious and helpful. The custodial staff was also kind and cleanliness was never an issue.
The only comment I would make is that I found the rooms somewhat dated, yet very spacious. I really liked the walk-in shower that was in my room!
I would stay here again...maybe on my next visit...and it would be great to see some room specials being offered to returning would-be vacationers or customers.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor rooms had high vaulted ceilings with ceiling fans and from what I saw the rooms were e...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to St. Lucia for our honeymoon and booked 9 nights in the ginger lily hotel. At first glance it is in very good condition and literally right across the street from the reduit beach. The staff was all very nice and even helped us find restaurants around the area and with other questions we had. We stayed in room five which I believe is called an upper deluxe. When booking we asked for their best room and they told us on more than one occasion that room five was their honeymoon suite. The room was decent but it was the same as all the other rooms on the floor. Secondly they kept telling us that their best room, yet while reading reviews they have these executive suites that have kitchens and dining areas. I thought that was a little weird. Anyway back to our room; it was overall pretty spacious and nice and appeared clean. Yet on top of our bed railing was a good later of dust and even worse out fan was caked in it. I promise I'm not exaggerating when I say there was close to a half inch layer of dust on each fan blade. It was pretty gross. Another con was that our shower head would constantly leak past a drip, it didnt matter how much we turned the knobs. Now the sound didnt drive us crazy but as the trip went on my wife woke up every day with more and more mosquito bites. And as our stay progressed we would find more and more Mosquitos in the bathroom and we never opened the shutters. Now although I can't say for sure, Mosquitos breed in standing water and the bottom of our shower was constantly in puddles due to the faulty shower head. Other than that the whole first week of our stay they had construction going on just on the other side of the fence. Too make it worse it was heavy drilling and tile breaking work. I totally understand work can't be stopped due to some tourists on a vacation but did they really have to start at 7 in the morning?! We went to the continental breakfast one day and it's pretty basic; toast juice and yogurt. It was ok except for both of our yogurts were over four months expired. They were both dated April of this year and for dairy that's too big of a risk for us. The only other thing that kinda irritated me was one night the security guard told me to re park the car after I as well as other cars were parking in that spot the whole time. The driveway was small and we weren't blocking any path or spot nor did the staff ever say anything about the spot. Now that last complaint was a little subjective but I believe my other complaints were valid yet small and should be easy to fix if this review is taken seriously.

• Stayed August 2013
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Excellent location, room large, clean and comfortable. Reduit beach 50m away, excellent beach. Close to real good facilities, restaurants, clubs and shops not too far away.
Staff were very helpful too.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms very nice, nice view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We came back a week ago from a two week stay at the Ginger Lily hotel. We had a room booked downstairs on the ground floor in an executive suite. Although it did not face the pool, it was a very generous sized room with a kitchen and dining area. This was ideal for us because as vegetarians we had chosen to cook most of our own food on a daily basis. The rooms were very clean, well kept and well resourced. As we were cooking everyday, reception staff were more than happy to provide us with the extra utensils that we requested and were happy to let us have friends over for dinner in our rooms. The breakfast is simple, consisting of toast, tea or coffee, juice and yogurt or fruit. This was normally enough to get our day started. The location was perfect, just far enough away from the noise of the bars and clubs in town, but close enough to walk to if we wanted an evening out. The beach was directly across the road, and although the swimming pool was very small in comparison to some of the larger resorts, it was set in pleasant and peaceful gardens. We found all the staff to be very courteous and helpful, including the cleaning staff who helped and advised us on how to cook some of the local foods we were attempting to make. We felt secure there in the evenings and the gates were always locked and attended to by a security guard after 10pm. If you are looking for a supreme, all luxury, all inclusive resort type place, then do not come here. However if you are looking for a cosy, homely, semi-DYI experience - then this is the place to be!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at The Ginger Lily for a couple of nights at the beginning of our honeymoon, and it is a nice place to stay. The style of the hotel has a cool Indian/Polynesian feel to it, and has a large, open-air reception area. The property is cozy and compact with tropical plants. A cabana sits next to the pool in the central courtyard.
Our room was large, with a queen bed, a seating area, and a wet bar nook. The bathroom was large with a "more-the-merrier" sized shower. Our front patio was small but had a hammock. The only issues we had were that the A/C was weak, and that the TV was a busted one from 1988. But those are minor things.
They had an all-night security guard that monitored the property and opened the locked gate when we came back after hours. The Ginger Lily is also located directly across the street from the RodneyBay Police station.
There is a great beach behind the police station that you have easy access to. There is also a nice restaurant called "Spinnakers" that we enjoyed while listening to the lapping of the waves. Walk down to the marina at the end of the street to "Happy Bar". It's a hidden gem.
We really enjoyed GingerLily, and would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hated every minute. Our room had been double booked so we were made to believe that we would be upgraded to a "suite". Unfortunately such suite turned out to be a windowless dungeon on the ground floor next to the car park. The patio at the back faced a dark an alley, and barbed wire fence (we generally felt unsafe and slept very badly). On day 2 we kept being told we would be moved, basically spent the first day of our holiday still packed and waiting at the nearby beach for the signal to move. This never came and at 4 pm we were told we would have to stay one more night in the hovel. I felt sorry for the embarrassed reception staff as the mistake was clearly made by Karen (who admitted to the mistake). She was abroad and quite unhelpful on the phone. She was unable to offer any type of compensation or a move to another equivalently priced hotel. Typical "manager" who does things remotely in order to run away from the day to day running of a business. Furtunately our booking service intervened and got us the hell out of there. Generally the worst hotel experience i have had in all my life. Ruined the start of our holiday . BTW breakfast was a joke dont even bother. STAY ELSEWHERE!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
glstlucia, Owner at The Ginger Lily Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
The management, the staff and myself pride ourselves on our reputation. We therefore have to respond to this review.

The guest booked an Upper Deluxe Room but due to an overbooking had to be upgraded to one of our Executive Suites for the first night of their stay.
Our Suites offer a separate living, dining area with full kitchen and are the top/most expensive rooms that we offer.

On the morning of the transfer to the Upper Deluxe room a genuine clerical error was made on our part, meaning they would have to stay a subsequent night in the upgraded room. This was an oversight and this was explained to the guest with a full apology.

The guest was then so rude to the front desk staff that I had no alternative to try and intervene. He was equally rude to me on the phone and threaten than unless he stayed for free, he was going to "ruin" us.
By this stage there was no reasoning with the guest and our only alternative was to let the guest contact his booking agent and get him to be rebooked at another establishment.

Just for the record The Ginger Lily Hotel has an onsite manager that deals with all guest's issues. As an owner I had to intervene as there was no pleasing the guest.

We have thankfully be awarded the Trip Advisor's Excellence Award for 3 consecutive years and can assure future guests that none of our rooms are "hovels".

Been to The Ginger Lily Hotel? Share your experiences!