“Sooooo Friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Village Inn & Spa at Rodney Bay

You added Village Inn & Spa at Rodney Bay to your Saves list
Village Inn & Spa at Rodney Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Reduit Beach | Rodney Bay Village, Gros Islet 3050, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Cornworthy, United Kingdom
“Sooooo Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

This is a 3*** Star hotel where staff treat you in a 4 Star manner. They were all so friendly and helpful and continously asked if everything was to our satisfaction. My partner and I had a truly relaxing stay at this very friendly hotel over Christmas and New Year. Prior to our stay we upgraded to a Junior suite, which was worth it. Superking bed and well laid out room with fridge, TV and aircon. However, not all rooms have aircon and fridge so check at time of booking.
The hotel is located in Rodney Bay in a Cul de Sac. It has the beach across the road (50 yds) which is accessed by walking through the Bay hotel gardens opposite which everyone is allowed to do. Sunbeds are available to hire on the beach.
There are various trips to go on but we would recommend the Catamarran for the day which takes in the Volcano, Gardens, Castries and lunch and swimming on the way back.
The food was nice and we definitely didn't starve! Buffet most of the time which was quite good especially breakfast. We paid for all inclusive (includes all drinks) and it was well worth it. The house wine for dinner didn't leave you with a hangover which was a relief!
The hotel was very clean albeit that it could do with a lick of paint here and there. The pool was nice especially the flowing water from the top part. Could do with more sunbeds, but they do get them for you and supply towels.
If you are looking for 5 Star this is not for you, but if you want a warm friendly place then it is. We are considering going back again at the end of the year for a month this time.
Tricia & George

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

This is a 3 star hotel with the staff making it 5 star. Best value holiday we have had for years. Plenty of food, Beach about 50m yrs away. Pool excellent. note not all rooms
have aircon or fridge. going back for xmas and new year. Flights take about 9 hrs
and on some you have a stop on the way back. but remember its a 3 star hotel

Glenside, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Where do I begin? We stayed in August 2010. I understand that this time of year is considered rain/off season but the resort was inappropriately understaffed. We had payed for an all inclusive plan but definately should not have because the staff did not provide you with what you paid for. I guess their idea of "all inclusive" means mediocre food served to you after waiting forever and one bar with servers that won't make eye contact with you. Waiting for dinner and drinks would sometimes take hours. The bar was closed around 11 pm with no other options for night life afterwards. We ended up spending a ton of money at other bars in the area. The breakfast was the only meal which service was okay (meaning didn't take 3 hours to acquire) because it was a buffet with an omelet stand. The lunch and dinner food itself was pretty good but really tough to enjoy because of such terrible service. The rooms are in desperate need of rennovating and the pool and hot tub are very cheap looking. The beach is across street and the village inn and spa does not provide beach chairs for you. Most days we were allowed to use chairs of another resort, however there was one day we were harrassed by a security guard saying that we could not use them since we were staying across the street. All in all the island of St. Lucia was a lovely place to visit (we loved our excursions to the Piton Peaks and Pigeon Point) but if you plan to go there I would reccommend spending a little more on a nicer place especially if you prefer an all inclusive package.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Village Inn and Spa in Rodney Bay Dec.18-24, 2010. If you're used to staying at the Ritz-Carleton or top Hiltons, don't book here, because you will probably be disappointed. If you're used to staying at Courtyards and Fairfield Inns, then this place is great. We booked through TAN, and were very happy with what they did. To be honest, after reading some of the reviews of the Village Inn, we were a little nervous to book it, but figured we were just going to St. Lucia for the beach and sun. So we were okay with the gamble.

I want to put at ease you people that have read some of the negative reviews. I read one about there being ants in the salt shakers...we didn't see any of that...they put rice in the salt shakers, which could look like ants, but definitely didn't see ants. Also, someone wrote that they didn't get maid service or get new towels but every 4 days. Yeah, pretty sure we got maid service everyday. And they gave us new beach towels everyday we went to the beach which was very nice. Another review said there was loud music every night from a bar next door and they couldn't get any sleep . We stayed on the side of the hotel where the bar was located and we didn't have any problems at all. When I heard that you had to walk through the hotel across the street to get to the beach, I thought it was going to be weird, but it wasn't at all. You just walk right through their (Bay Gardens Beach Resort) courtyard and to the beach. You can even go into the gift shop at the Bay Gardens and buy body boards for the beach!

Every day, 24/7, security constantly walks the grounds of the hotel which helped us to feel secure. The hotel staff was always cleaning and mopping floors to make sure everything looked nice. We booked a studio room, but since they had open rooms, we got upgraded to a Junior Suite. There is a shopping center just down the road about 3/4 mile away from the hotel. We went there a couple of nights to look around and buy things. We also went to the shopping center multiple times at night and felt safe the whole time.

The overall service of the hotel staff was great. We had the all-inclusive package and thought the food quality was great. The portion sizes were generous and we were pleased all week long. At breakfast they had an omelete station which was great.

We paid $80 US dollars (one way) from the Airport to the hotel. Plan on a 90 minute drive to get to the hotel because you drive through the rain-forest and the roads are very curvy. If you do not get an all-inclusive package, plan on spending at least $60 US (for 2 people) each meal (lunch and dinner). That's one of the reasons we chose the all-inclusive plan since it can get pricey.

They have a travel agent that helps in the planning of activities, so I would definitely ask her for help to plan an excursion. We went to a cocoa plantation, a drive-in volcano, and sailing. There are definitely things to do, so I would talk to the lady when you arrive to make sure you are aware of the things you want to do.

Overall, this was one of the most inexpensive hotels on the island and we were very pleased with what we got. Do not be deceived thinking that since it is inexpensive and it's not good, because that's not the case at all. We were right on the beach and had plenty of stuff to do. We had a great time and would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to relax and not spend a fortune.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

We planned our vacation for 9 months in order to get all the family together on this trip. We traveled the first week of November after the hurricane.
When we booked our trip, we did not know about this hotel, but this hotel by far was a beautiful hotel with friendly efficient staff who kept us informed about what was going on. Village Inn managers were very proactive in taking care of their guests and arranged for water for their guests while other larger and fancier hotels had no water and guests were basically left either to cancel their trip or make other arrangements. We became VILLAGE INN guests after another highly recommended resort closed for lack of water. Village Inn staff were very gracious. The full breakfast was included in the room price was exceptional. The pool and pool bar were great places to hang out. We had one of the larger veranda rooms that overlooked the pool. The restaurants are within walking distance as is the beach (just across the street). Spinnakers as you see by other reviews is not to be missed. Serenity Tours provides very special individualized tours and gave of a wonderful tour of St Lucia by St Lucians.
PROS to this hotel over others: Rooms, free internet in rooms and at pool, staff and management are some of the best and you can tell they really care about their guests, some of the rooms have small refrigerators, location.
CON: The Happy Day Bar can be loud but this is St Lucia. Once we were inside the room we could not hear the music.
***If you are looking for somewhere special I would suggest this hotel and we plan to come back.******

(The travel agency had assured us that things were fine at the 4 star resort the first week of November ,2010 where we were originally booked. WRONG! We arrived the island at the 4 star resort, we were informed that the island and the hotel was rationing water-even though we had received a welcome email from this hotel with no mention about water rationing.By Monday, the other resort (NOT VILLAGE INN) told us they would be closing and we could not stay at the resort where we made our reservation because they had no water. Some of the hotels with water increased their rates to over 500.00 per night as there were guests-like us-with room reservations cancelled at the hotel where the tourists booked--Village Inn charged us a very fair nightly rate that included breakfast-This showed a certain amount of integrity on the part of Village Inn Management.)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

I am a travel agent so I hve travelled St Lucia and stayed at a lot of hotels.
I stayed here for one night during the hurricane, my original hotel was closed and I was transfered here, I stayed one night and then checked out, its rubbish.
And there was charging MORE than my original four star resort hotel...!
The reception at the Village Inn is on the road side and you walk straight into the pool area (which is not as big as their pics suggest) - I did not feel this was very safe as anyone can walk around,esp if you have kids, there are no facilities as this hotel and the food is awful as are the rooms, I stayed one night and checked out - one night too long I'm afraid!!!
Typical examples .. at breakfast I opened the sugar pot and it was filled with ANTS, I asked for another one - got a dirty look and then they passed me another one from another table, it too was filled with ants, so I asked could she please go to the kitchen and get me a clean container with some sugar, she did, but it was with attitude! I mean I know what the caribbean is like (I've been there nearly 20 times) but that was just disgusting.
They say in the brochure they only change the bedsheets every four days? However, when I aked for a towel by the pool, it rained so I took it back as it had got soaked and the girl refused to take it, I said its soaking wet, I don't want another one its raining! But she said - we only give towels out every four days??!! now THAT is disgusting. No hotel should make you keep a beach towel four days.
It really is a 2star motel for one night stops!

Stay across the road, there is a really decent hotel opposite, the Bay Gardens - right on the beach and really nice hotel with a good pool/bar. I had a good look around.
The only plus point - its in Rodney Bay and a 2min walk to the beach, which is really nice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Guadeloupe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

i stayed at the village inn & spa with a friend in room 7005 and it was the best stay it was very warmin and comfortable. i meet Nicole and Ephima and there where the best waitress in the whole world surly goin to return in december 2010. see u guys soooooooooooooooooon

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Village Inn & Spa at Rodney Bay? Share your experiences!