“A nice enough hotel with room for improvement...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. Lucian by Rex Resorts

You added St. Lucian by Rex Resorts to your Saves list
St. Lucian by Rex Resorts
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rodney Bay, Reduit Beach, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Halifax, Canada
“A nice enough hotel with room for improvement...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed here for about a week for business. So I didn't partake of any of the "vacation facilities" available at this hotel. This is an all-inclusive resort in Rodney Bay which is a hub of tourist activity in St. Lucia.

I stayed in a beachfront room on the 2nd floor. It should be noted however that these rooms aren't actually on the the beach nor do you have access to the beach from these rooms (unlike the Rex resort in Tobago). If you are on the ground floor your room opens onto a lawn that is fenced off from the beach. If you are on the second or third floors you do get a great view of the beach and of the sea.

The hotel overall may seem a bit run down and dated in that the internal decor (Rooms and lobby) is stereotypically "Caribbean" and therefore lacks the modern feel/look of other newer hotels. The reception/lobby area is welcoming and looks more modern than the rooms. What struck me as astonishing however is the lack of an elevator which is not very wheelchair accessible nor is that practical if one has to carry luggage on 3 floors. With one bellhop you may have to carry your own luggage.

The room is inviting upon entry. (See pics). It had a light atmosphere to it. The ac was not running however that can be excused as it is a hotel policy to turn off everything when the room is not occupied as part of its electricity & environmental conservation drive. There is also a fridge in room for beverages as well as a coffee maker (with initial coffee supplied) and a cable tv. The bathroom was a disappointment as it so tiny. There is a small tub with an overhead shower. There is a safe to store your valuables. It was comforting to know that the safe worked as in other establishments I have visited the safes tend not to be operational.

There are various small shops on the premises which offer a variety of snacks, goods, tours, internet access, souvenirs, etc.

What I liked:
- Rooms are clean and are cleaned daily.

- The fridge is stocked with some refreshments (Beer Coke & Spite) upon arrival.

- The food is nice all meals. The variety of dinner and lunch menus are great. The Saturday beach dinner (to the sound of live steel pan) or Caribbean night with it's live entertainment put a nice spin on dinner in particular.

- The staff members are friendly, very courteous and helpful.

- The safe in the room works.

- There is WiFi throughout the hotel but the signal is weaker in rooms.

- The pool and jacuzzi are clean. Beach/Pool towels are provided. There are also beach chairs provided for your use.

What I didn't like:
- The bed is VERY uncomfortable. The mattress needs a pillow top. You can feel every spring and coil in the mattress making sleep a bit challenging at best.

- The staff while courteous is forgetful. Two examples: I asked for an ironing board and I had to remind the reception twice and still didn't get it till the following day. Or I may have ordered a drink during my meal in the restaurant and I never get it. If staff is that busy then perhaps notepads are needed.

- They don't seem to have spare keys for the room which will be a problem with double occupancy situations.

- The sockets in the room are 220v sockets. Which means for most persons who use 110v needed a transformer or adapter. They didn't have transformers/adapters for all guest rooms. Transformers were therefore at a premium. So charging all your mobile devices are difficult at best is you live in a country that has 110v sockets. I will advise guests to buy an adaptor or two for use.

- There was a charge to use the hotel phone to call a taxi. I believe this should be a courtesy for guests.

Overall.... It is a nice enough resort a 3 star hotel in a 5 star location with room for improvement and can be a great place to stay. I will give it 4 stars out of five taking everything into consideration. If they listen to and implement some of the suggestions by other reviewers on the various hotel review sites like this one it will be a fantastic place to stay and will get top marks. However based on this experience at this establishment I was left with just an "average" feeling.

On a side note the beach is fantastic.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Rexmanager2014, General Manager at St. Lucian by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing The St. Lucian by rex resorts for your holiday.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on the product and services offered at the hotel during your stay.

We indeed appreciate your positive feedback and your comments on what you didn't like of the hotel is noted and we will continue in our efforts to make the necessary improvements.

We look forward to warmly welcome you in the near future.

Jorge G Dickerson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Fantastic holiday once again at the resort.

Yes its a 3 star hotel, within a 5 star location. Food and drinks were fab everyday of our stay. The staff were very engaging and made our holiday worthwhile staying at this resort second time round in 4 years.

The resort could do with a fresh lick of paint and a bit of work. The room was great and served its purpose, with air conditioning to cool down the hot days.

will most definitely visit St Lucia again and will for sure book in at this resort on my next visit.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful reviews with us. It was indeed a pleasure to be of service and we hope to welcome you soon again.

Warmest wishes,

Newbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I've stayed in this hotel on a number of occasions but standards have dropped considerably, I would NEVER use this hotel again.

We arrived late afternoon, Upon our arrival we allocated a room with a door which wouldn't shut without slamming several times, the same door had to be opened by throwing my entire body weight into it! Not a nice experience for us or other guests!

The hotel rectified this problem by putting us in another room, unfortunately this wasn't much better; the air conditioning unit was broken and the plug in the sink was useless, maintenance was called and did manage to fix both of these problems much to our delight!
My self and my wife unpacked and looked forward to starting our holiday.

We took a stroll around the hotel to check out the facility's it had to offer, the Oriental restaurant was closed till further notice and had been closed for almost two months. Leaving only the mariners restaurant which offered a selection of buffet food at meal times. We were then informed that breakfast would be served at the sister hotel which was situated next door (the royal).

The first thing we noticed was the lack of entertainment that evening, unfortunately this didn't improve much either, with a total of only 4 nights entertainment during our 14 day trip. The hotel lobby bar was closed till further notice the only bar available was at the mariners restaurant which on more than one occasion closed at 10.00pm and was only open longer than this if there were 'enough' guests.

During our stay we stubbled across the hotels tennis courts which were in bad repair; Nets were rotten and the surface was lifted and dappled with weeds. The entire hotel and it's grounds were also non smoking; which we didn't know prior to our visit! As a smoker I was not impressed.

At breakfast one morning we spoke to other hotel guests who were disgusted to have discovered evidence of vermin in their hotel room. They told us how they had been disturbed by scratching in the night and awoke to find nibbled food packaging on the floor under their bed and behind the toilet system.

After six days we were transferred to the sister hotel (the royal) after a heated discussion with the manager about the poor quality of the hotel. This hotel was of a far better quality, the downfall being that it wasn't an all inclusive which meant we had to return to the st lucian for our meals and drinks. This was a lot of hassle.

The meals served at the hotel weren't great either, we couldn't help but notice that food was not fresh, we took matters into our own hands and ventured outside of the hotel for meals. Which was a costly experience we didn't predict as we had booked an all inclusive holiday.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and will not be staying their again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Rexmanager2014, General Manager at St. Lucian by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for choosing The St.Lucian by rex resorts for your holiday and for taking the time to post your review.

After receiving the complains every effort was done to accommodate you but It seem obvious that you were not satisfied with your stay with us and it is unfortunate and we do apologize if you were let down by the product and services we offer.

The comments raised are noted and we will continue in our efforts to improve the product and services we offer.

Thank you for choosing St.Lucian by rex resorts for your holiday and please accept our deepest apologies for any discomfort experienced.

Chaguanas, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed at St. Lucian by Rex from 4th -8th June and really enjoyed our stay. I was a bit skeptical of this hotel after reading some of the reviews but I decided to go for it anyway since we would be up and about touring the island. We stayed on the ground floor and had access to the garden that led out to the beach. Room was a good size with enough storage.
Firstly, breakfast was EXCELLENT at the sister property The Royals. Breakfast was served daily at The Royals, and it was a great way to start your day. It was a postcard view. I must say that the beach is one of the best on the island. Lunch was O.K. and dinner was nice. Saturday BBQ was great and I could not have enough of their wings. Hats off to the bartender / waiter Lyndee, who was very attentive and gave excellent service.
The only negative was the bed, but sleeping on the comforter gave some relief from the box springs. Some upkeep is needed but was a good stay for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor have greater access.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate your kind compliments and the time you took to share your reviews.

We are delighted that we were able to provide you with quality service that exceeded your expectations.

Your comments concerning the bed has been noted and was addressed thru our Executive housekeeper.

It was a delight to be of service and we look forward to welcoming you soon again at the St. Lucian by Rex Resorts..

Warm wishes,

Msnchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Just got back loved every minute It the food was amazing the drinks were nice the staff were amazing! A week wasn't long enough defo recommend this hotel! Bay side restaurant was my favourite they made u feel so at home! entertainment on all day and night really enjoyed it! X

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful reviews with us and for making special mention of our team members.

It was a pleasure to be of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Mirfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We have just got back from the St Lucian and having read some of the reviews I wonder if I've been to the same resort. Yes, it's not "up to date" and there are definitely more shiny hotels around, but therein lies some of it's charm. The staff, from the Reception, Bars, Restaurant and the Cleaning staff were all wonderful, all of them would be happy to pass the time of day with you and always had a smile and a ""Hello" at any time of day or night. Step forward Tim, Emerson & Shanelle who kept my beer topped up for 2 weeks, along with all the others of course! The food in the restaurant was consistantly good and it was always hot and plentiful. The room we had was kept spotlessly clean, not by us you understand, but by the daily cleaner, the beds were comfortable, the linen crisp and clean. For the money, I couldn't have expected more, but when you get to the location...The beach, a short jump from the hotel is fantastic, in fact the area around the hotel, for me, was the cleanest of the whole of Reduit Beach. Then we come to the sea, at times it seemed that you had it all to yourself, so clear and so blue! Take a mask and snorkel and check out the sea life around the few rocks, loads of fish and squid to watch. While we didn't use many of the facilities of the sister hotel next door, it was nice to know that we could. One thing that was used was the services of the Spa. A polite young man, Spencer, whisked my wife away a couple of afternoons for a massage, which I'm assured, was amazing! All in all we had a fantastic holiday at the St Lucian Rex and we will be back, but in the meantime, for anyone who's put off by negative reviews, don't hesitate, the place is wonderful and your vacation is what you make of it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Rexmanager2014, General Manager at St. Lucian by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We truly appreciate your ratings, for your kind compliments and the time you took to share your reviews.

Thank you for acknowledging our staff from the Reception, Bars, Restaurant and the Cleaning staff - Tim, Emerson & Shanelle who provided you with astonishing drinks at the Bar and for recognizing our efforts in providing the high quality service that each one of our guests deserve.

It was a delight to be of service and we look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Warm wishes,

Portland, Maine, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Just got back from another visit to this resort. We were there from 15/05/14 to 25/05/14. Got there at the end of Jazz Festival. Still a little busy with the people left over from that, but shortly emptied to the way we like it!!! Going off season, you pretty much, have the place to yourselves.
This was our 7th time, in as many years, staying at the St. Lucian, and we have never left disappointed. If you're looking to be waited on hand and foot, not what you're looking for. But, if you're looking for a clean, comfortable room. Great food, an AMAZING location, and incredibly friendly staff, at almost half the price of Sandals, I can't recommend this Hotel enough!!!
It's a 3 star resort, in a 5 star location! Could it use some work? Sure, tell me about a Caribbean hotel that couldn't. However, what this resort lacks, is made up by the incredible staff! Most, have been there for years, and almost always, are there laughing and joking with you (once they're comfortable with you. If you want interaction, it's there. If not, they'll leave you alone.).
There's a young man, by the name of Spencer, who will be walking by saying Hello, and informing you about what's available from the Spa at the Royal(The hotel next door, owned by the same group, so guests of the St. Lucian have access). Listen to this man.
I had an issue with my shoulder, that I was hoping would go away, because I was on vacation. no stress, it's gone right? Anyway, 3 day's in, still can't move. Set an appointment with Spencer for a deep tissue massage. ABSOLUTEY AMAZING!!!
If you're looking for a place with great entertainment every night, not sure you'll find that anywhere, but the location of this resort is more than convenient. Within less than 1/2 mile from the front gate, probably 20-30 different restaurants/bars, malls, and a casino!!!
As I said, we just left, and we already miss them!!!

Room Tip: Most pool view, will still overlook the sea. Sea view puts you right on top of the beach, but you ha...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for selecting our resort for your stay during the St.Lucia Jazz Festival Jazz Experience!

It was a pleasure to have you with us once again for this last 7 years and we thank you you for acknowledging our efforts in providing you with high quality service.

We look forward to welcoming you soon again at the St.Lucian by Rex Resorts and please take care of your shoulder.

Jorge G Dickerson

Been to St. Lucian by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!