I stayed here for about a week for business. So I didn't partake of any of the "vacation facilities" available at this hotel. This is an all-inclusive resort in Rodney Bay which is a hub of tourist activity in St. Lucia.
I stayed in a beachfront room on the 2nd floor. It should be noted however that these rooms aren't actually on the the beach nor do you have access to the beach from these rooms (unlike the Rex resort in Tobago). If you are on the ground floor your room opens onto a lawn that is fenced off from the beach. If you are on the second or third floors you do get a great view of the beach and of the sea.
The hotel overall may seem a bit run down and dated in that the internal decor (Rooms and lobby) is stereotypically "Caribbean" and therefore lacks the modern feel/look of other newer hotels. The reception/lobby area is welcoming and looks more modern than the rooms. What struck me as astonishing however is the lack of an elevator which is not very wheelchair accessible nor is that practical if one has to carry luggage on 3 floors. With one bellhop you may have to carry your own luggage.
The room is inviting upon entry. (See pics). It had a light atmosphere to it. The ac was not running however that can be excused as it is a hotel policy to turn off everything when the room is not occupied as part of its electricity & environmental conservation drive. There is also a fridge in room for beverages as well as a coffee maker (with initial coffee supplied) and a cable tv. The bathroom was a disappointment as it so tiny. There is a small tub with an overhead shower. There is a safe to store your valuables. It was comforting to know that the safe worked as in other establishments I have visited the safes tend not to be operational.
There are various small shops on the premises which offer a variety of snacks, goods, tours, internet access, souvenirs, etc.
What I liked:
- Rooms are clean and are cleaned daily.
- The fridge is stocked with some refreshments (Beer Coke & Spite) upon arrival.
- The food is nice all meals. The variety of dinner and lunch menus are great. The Saturday beach dinner (to the sound of live steel pan) or Caribbean night with it's live entertainment put a nice spin on dinner in particular.
- The staff members are friendly, very courteous and helpful.
- The safe in the room works.
- There is WiFi throughout the hotel but the signal is weaker in rooms.
- The pool and jacuzzi are clean. Beach/Pool towels are provided. There are also beach chairs provided for your use.
What I didn't like:
- The bed is VERY uncomfortable. The mattress needs a pillow top. You can feel every spring and coil in the mattress making sleep a bit challenging at best.
- The staff while courteous is forgetful. Two examples: I asked for an ironing board and I had to remind the reception twice and still didn't get it till the following day. Or I may have ordered a drink during my meal in the restaurant and I never get it. If staff is that busy then perhaps notepads are needed.
- They don't seem to have spare keys for the room which will be a problem with double occupancy situations.
- The sockets in the room are 220v sockets. Which means for most persons who use 110v needed a transformer or adapter. They didn't have transformers/adapters for all guest rooms. Transformers were therefore at a premium. So charging all your mobile devices are difficult at best is you live in a country that has 110v sockets. I will advise guests to buy an adaptor or two for use.
- There was a charge to use the hotel phone to call a taxi. I believe this should be a courtesy for guests.
Overall.... It is a nice enough resort a 3 star hotel in a 5 star location with room for improvement and can be a great place to stay. I will give it 4 stars out of five taking everything into consideration. If they listen to and implement some of the suggestions by other reviewers on the various hotel review sites like this one it will be a fantastic place to stay and will get top marks. However based on this experience at this establishment I was left with just an "average" feeling.
On a side note the beach is fantastic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fronted by one of the most popular beaches in St Lucia and backed by charismatic Rodney Bay, the St Lucian by rex resorts has an unrivalled location on the Caribbean shore of this beautiful island. By day, the focus is on the stunning sandy beach where the glistening Caribbean waters tempt paddlers, swimmers and sporting enthusiasts from their sun-loungers. Enjoy international cuisine at the Mariners Restaurant which affords spectacular views across the sea. After dinner, experience the unique mix of local and cosmopolitan nightlife at a choice of atmospheric bars in Rodney Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your St. Lucian by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Lucian By Rex Hotel Castries
- St Lucian Rex Resorts
- Rex St Lucian
- St. Lucian By Rex Resorts St. Lucia/Gros Islet