Let me start by explaining that we are beach lovers. Our first big disappointment came when we went on to the beach. Having previously checked out trip adviser reviews, we were expecting an amazing beach. However we were bitterly disappointed. It's not that it's a bad beach, but it certainly isn't anywhere near as good as we were expecting. Although it's long, it's a relatively narrow stretch of sand and in some places (eg at our hotel's main entrance to the beach) it is EXTREMELY narrow. The sand isn't white so you don't get that amazing turquoise sea colour that you can get in other parts of the world, and also it is quite steeply banked down to the water's edge which means that your sunbeds can be on quite a tilt. However, the sea is beautifully clean with hardly any seaweed and the seafloor is pure sand (no shingle or rocks to hurt your feet). However, we hired a car and travelled down the carribean coast as far as the pitons and although we saw some beautifully picturesque beaches (esp Marigot Beach), I would say that Rodney Bay probably is, as we were led to believe, the best beach on the island of St. Lucia.
We were given room 278 which is on the first floor of the main building overlooking the pool and beach. Reviews had made us worried about the quality of the rooms and the building but we were pleasantly surprised.New ,beautifully quiet air conditioning. New flat screen TV. The furniture wasn't new but it was good quality and in pretty good condition. The room itself was very large and with plenty of wardrobe space. The view from the room was simply sensational. We had to call maintenance to explain how to use the electronic safe, change a bulb and unblock the toilet a couple of times. They were exceptionally quick and good. Similarly, reception staff were very helpful. The maid was very efficient. There was painting being carried out in the public areas virtually every day, to spruce things up. Overall we had absolutely no complaints about the hotel, the public areas and the room itself.
We must just make a special mention for Shaba, the happiest and most friendly bell-boy we've ever met, and also for Bernan the manager and chef from the hotel's Oriental Restaurant who was supremely friendly and a true character.....this man will go far!! In general, most of the staff were friendly and helpful although there was a tendency to work in a "relaxed" way rather than rush around frenetically.
The food in the ONLY all inclusive restaurant was generally pretty good although it was quite restricted in diversity. We always found something pleasant to eat but I can imagine that may not be the case for anyone who is a "fussy" eater. The BBQ night which is held on the beach is a superb idea and makes a great night each week. On the "down side" there are a couple of restaurant managers who need further training or to be replaced. We tried our best to make them realise that "CUSTOMER IS KING" and should be treated as such but Veronica in particular seems to struggle with this concept. Also, be prepared to queue to be seated even when there are empty tables available. This could be resolved if the restaurant staff could rush a litle and maybe they need a couple of extra staff to clear tables and re-lay them. The position of the restaurant which lies right on the beach is fantastic and the views are superb.
The bar drinks are fine and the cocktail list is good. Again, be prepared to queue for drinks as there are insufficient bar staff and it would be nice to see them rush around more. Special mention for Johnny and his card tricks....very good!
The cruise ships ALL visit Rodney Bay which sometimes makes the beach overcrowded but it's not normally a problem if you lie at the far end of the hotel's beachfront. The sunbeds could do with some maintenance and some just need to be replaced!!
Finally, you can drink the tap water....no problem! The electricity is exactly the same as UK with the same 3 pin sockets. If you want to hire a car it's no problem AND they drive on the LEFT just like in the UK.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fronted by one of the most popular beaches in St Lucia and backed by charismatic Rodney Bay, the St Lucian by rex resorts has an unrivalled location on the Caribbean shore of this beautiful island. By day, the focus is on the stunning sandy beach where the glistening Caribbean waters tempt paddlers, swimmers and sporting enthusiasts from their sun-loungers. Enjoy international cuisine at the Mariners Restaurant which affords spectacular views across the sea. After dinner, experience the unique mix of local and cosmopolitan nightlife at a choice of atmospheric bars in Rodney Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Priceline so you can book your St. Lucian by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Lucian By Rex Hotel Castries
- St Lucian Rex Resorts
- Rex St Lucian
- St. Lucian By Rex Resorts St. Lucia/Gros Islet