“Decent Hotel; Close to Malls and Restaurants” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Lucian by Rex Resorts

Save Saved
You added St. Lucian by Rex Resorts to your Saves list
St. Lucian by Rex Resorts
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rodney Bay, Reduit Beach, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Special Offer
Fall Sale! Save up to 55%
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Roseau, Dominica
“Decent Hotel; Close to Malls and Restaurants”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

-> Check In
The check-in process was a bit awkward. The bell boy asked for my credit card saying it was company policy and it was only to keep on file. After a lengthy wait, he returned with a $300 authorisation saying that it had been taken in case of any damages to the room and/or equipment. This should have been communicated to me before I handed over my credit card.

However I must say that he made up for this through exceptional service afterwards. He always greeted me politely when he saw me, even when I saw him out of the hotel. He was also so anxious to help my colleagues with their luggage.

-> Room
Upon entering my room, the first thing that I saw was a cockroach. I immediately informed Reception who got one of their house keepers to spray the room with baygon for me. I was disappointed that I could not have gotten another room. However the matter was handled promptly. I just had to wait about 20minutes for the scent to settle.

Despite this Cockroach welcoming me to my room, I have to admit that the bed is one of the most comfortable I've slept on. It gave me good night's rest for the two nights.

However, It was very poor that the room lacked 110v switches and an ironing board. I had to iron my clothes in the hallway in a "Ironing Station". This was very uncomfortable. In this day and age, I believe that these items should be standard for all hotels.

-> Conference Room & Snacks / Lunch
I have no complaints in this area. The conference room was great. Spacious, comfortable and convenient. The food was full of variety and of great quality; always fresh.

-> Location
This hotel is also located close to two malls, only about 3 minutes walking distance. There are also well named food franchises within the same walking distances and several restaurants along the path.

Room Tip: Request an iron in advance of your check-in. Also walk with 220v adapters as there are no 110v conne...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

When we mentioned to friends that we were going to stay at Rex Resorts in Rodney Bay, they advised us against it saying that the place is not what it used to be. We had never stayed at Rex Resorts in St. Lucia so we decided to give it a try for just 1 night.

There are two Rex resorts right next to each other, but really it’s on the same property separated by a series of short corridors and latticework. The St. Lucian where we stayed was more downmarket and like a 2-star property, while the Royal was more classy and closer to 4-star accommodation.

Before our arrival, our reservation was handled adeptly by Greta. We were upgraded from a gardenview room to a seafacing room which was unexpected and greatly appreciated.

The welcome we received by Christel at the front desk was very pleasant indeed. The check-in process was smooth – all done sitting in the lobby and refreshed by cold towels and complimentary punches, which was nice. Details of the property, its services, meal times and towel exchange was explained thoroughly in a lecture-style format, but we got a gist of everything within only a few minutes and had an opportunity to have some of our questions answered which proved helpful as we did not need to ask reception or concierge for any further info or assistance during our brief stay.

Timothy at the bar is a fixture of this hotel, being a long-service employee. He is a jovial and delightful character, briefing us each time he saw us on the latest weather forecast or tidbit of island fact. He personified the concept of service at Rex!

We were entertained by Monica during our first lunch in the Mariner’s restaurant who was gracious, funny and conversational. In fact, one thing that stood out to us during our stay, was the friendliness and happiness of all the staff! Everyone smiled and laughed constantly with guests.

Whilst the service at the hotel rocks, the property itself is the main disappointment. Half of the resort was closed off apparently for maintenance but from the shoreside, it looks like it has been closed for some time. There is obvious wear and degradation of the buildings.

With the main pool, swim-up bar and grill being closed, guests have no choice but to use the small pool and all meals and drinks are served in the same Mariner’s restaurant. Whilst we were only there for 1 night or 3 meals, we could not imagine eating in the same spot all day, everyday over several days.

The food was okay. There was nothing wow about it but nothing to complain about either. All the standard breakfast fare was available in the morning. Lunch and dinner was fine but would have been better with abit more variety of dishes and a few more starch options.

The room itself was comfortable with a nice bed and well-functioning bathroom. It was nice to have a mini fridge in the room, but we would have gladly exchanged it for availability of teabags
and milk.

We were bored by the limited hotel cable package which only had about 10 channels, mainly news, children’s programming and local stations. They would do best to upgrade and give guests some options when unwinding, at least one Sports channel for the men!

This hotel has one of the nicest seafront locations in the Rodney Bay/Gros Islet area with a long stretch of sandy beach and clear, calm water. It doesn’t get much better than this!

The St. Lucian by Rex has so much potential but I’m not sure that it can compete with the other newer hotels in the area. Rex Resorts needs to invest money in upkeep of this hotel and plan for a general upgrade sooner rather than later if it is to secure customer loyalty and expect continuing returns in this highly competitive market.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Espoo, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Hotel is ok, but did not feel cozy... It is big and a little bit shabby. Pool area is not pleasant (broken sun beds and only few sun umbrellas) and the staff is not helpfull at all. For example I did not get a welcome drink but my friend who came later did?

It is right on the beach which is nice. There are also some restaurants in walking distance. And also there are good bars are in walking distance...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We traveled with a 13 month old daughter and we loved the place. First, I will start with the arrival at the airport. The airport personnel and security officials are very friendly and the whole airport check in process was very smooth and quick. A mini-bus came to pick us up and we were on our way to hotel within 45 minutes from the arrival at the airport. It takes about 1.5 hours to get to the hotel on some very hilly and winding roads. The scenery is nice though and you will pass through some villages and small towns. You will also drive through the capital city of Castries. We were worried a little at how our daughter will handle this bus ride, but she actually slept most of the ride.
After approximately 1.5 hours we arrived at the hotel and we were immediately greeted and welcomed by the reception staff. At this point, I just want to mention that this resort has one of the friendliest staff we've ever met. Everybody is just amazing, especially reception staff. Since it was the lunch time when we arrived at the hotel, they immediately sent us to have lunch and drinks first and then to come back to check in. Same like at the airport, the check in process was smooth and quick. It all took no more than 15 minutes.
This resort is old and it definitely needs an upgrade, but it is kept very clean and the grounds are well maintained. There is lots of vegetation and flowers around the resort. Our room was good, clean and the air conditioning worked flawlessly. It was so quiet, you could hardly hear it during the night. They already prepared the crib for our daughter, it was actually a playpen. Our daughter loved it, it was comfortable and big enough for her. She slept very well in it. The TV was small, but we never watched it anyways. We only played some cartoons for our daughter, other than that, we never watched TV. We had a king sized bed, which was really comfortable. You also get a small fridge in the room and a seating area, with a small table and two chairs. We were on the ground floor, so there was no balcony, but more like a small patio with a table and two chairs. The bathroom, like the rest of the resort, looks old, but functional and clean. We didn't have any issues with the toilet, hot water, or water pressure.
The food for us was very good. Not a lot of variety, but it was very tasty. There was always something for us and even our 13 month old daughter ate very well. Fish was delicious every day and they tend to prepare food using their local recipes.
The beach was excellent. Our daughter loved it. She would play in sand and run around until she gets so tired and falls a sleep. They give you a fairly large umbrella at the reception, to use it at the beach. This is excellent if you prefer shade, or if you have small kids. The swimming pool is not very large, but the area around is perfect if you just want to relax, or read a book.
At this resort, you also get a free wi-fi internet connection in the lobby area only. This is perfect, if you need to check your emails, or stay in touch with family back home. The connection is pretty good, we used Skype every day. There is also Internet Cafe if you don't have a smart phone, or a tablet with you.
All in all, we had a great time and most importantly, our daughter enjoyed her very first vacation :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Castries, Castries, St. Lucia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I just came from Rex yesterday after spending an all inclusive weekend. This is the first hotel I've been to as a local and received such excellent customer service. We were greeted by Buju who was just so much fun. Being right on the beach was a plus. The room was good enough, ac worked great and it was clean. My only complaint is that I expected a little more variety where the food was concerned. At each meal, the potatoes were prepared the same, the rice was severely overcooked and the meats were under-seasoned. But everything else was just wonderful. We'll be going back sometime.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
montreal, qc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel is perfect if you do not plan on spending your time being 'entertained' at the hotel, if, thats what you want, go to Sandals, there are 3 of them on this small island.
The hotel itself is clean, the food is good(mostly local cusine, which was great!). Staff, were helpful and pleasant. Nice atmosphere, as the hotel is small, you get to know all the other guests, if you want. Towels, umbrellas, supplied by front desk, so you keep your umbrella in your room, so you never have to worry about grabbing one. Only issue we had was voltage was different, and they were out of adaptors, so we had to wait a couple of days to buy one at a local store(our own fault).

We had a wonderful time, Hotel is centrally located so all trips were reasonably close.
We went to Pigeon Island for 1/2 day, worth it. Went to the Rainforest, for 1/2 day, also worth it.
These 2 trips were with our cab driver Curtis, who is a regular driver at the Rex!
Curtis took us on a tour of the island for a day, did all the 'tourist' attractions, but at our own pace, and went down to Marigot Bay, which is very cool. Did a day trip to Martinique(don't bother), and a wonderful day trip to the Gredines, so worth it!

Room Tip: we had a garden view, on the second floor, but still had an Ocean view?? Doesn't matter, who st...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I had to move rooms 3 times. Toilet over flowed in one room then got upgrade to another room then air conditioner didn't work then eventually was upgraded to president which hadn't been changed since the 80s. Beach is crowded with Cruz ship ppl. Horrible service. Got locked out of my room one night faulty lock. This place is old and hasn't been renovated in years many rooms are out of order. Run down. I've traveled the world any many hostels are better maintained then this place.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to St. Lucian by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!