“Location, Location , Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Lucian by Rex Resorts

Save Saved
You added St. Lucian by Rex Resorts to your Saves list
St. Lucian by Rex Resorts
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rodney Bay, Reduit Beach, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #11 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
London, United Kingdom
“Location, Location , Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Wow - what a great location & hote - goes way beyond the rsting advertised.l. Right on the beach at Rodney Bay - I could spend all day watching the world go by & if you want to go wandering - everything is close by.
Lovely place , lovely people, extremely clean, excellent food and very good quality.
Thankyou Richard, Nerissa & all your staff for a great holiday.
We'll Be Back!!

Room Tip: Ask fro Beach Front Room in refurbished block
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerRoya, General Manager at St. Lucian by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank You for your comments on your recent stay with us.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed our great location on the beach at Rodney Bay and that you were well satisfied with all aspects of your stay especially the Staff,the cleanliness and the food.

We look forward to seeing you back here in St Lucia in the not too distant future

1,058 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
West Sussex, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

If you are reading this and considering travelling to St Lucia, either for business or pleasure, then you really are very lucky indeed. You can pluck the term “jet-setter” from the lexicon of existence and add it to the mental CV that you are compiling as you go through your life.

That said, you may find that a stay at the St Lucian doesn’t really match the image that you probably have of what being a “jet-setter” is all about...

Please don’t get me wrong, since I am actually rather fond of this hotel, but I always find that I’m much happier when I get somewhere and I know exactly what to expect – think of this article as me paying forward the favour for when you write your own reviews:

I was here for a conference being held at the next hotel along the road, the Royal, and had stayed there for my first night in St Lucia. The Royal is an excellent hotel - a fact which may have unrealistically raised my expectations as to how it’s sister hotel might be (I’ve posted a review regarding the Royal which I’d advise you to refer to if you are thinking of staying in Rodney Bay.).

Where to start? Reception is probably the logical place – Occupied by a very friendly and professional team who manage to give the impression that you are the most welcome and interesting person that has ever graced this hotel. I can’t completely disallow the notion that I actually WAS the most welcome and interesting person that has ever graced this hotel, but for the purposes of modesty (probably too late) I’ll assume that you will be equally blessed.

The reception area itself is nicely laid out: a spacious lobby stretching out towards the westwards-facing beach where a member of staff was very respectfully lowering national flags as six o’clock and dusk approached. That sort of attention to detail goes a long way with me.
The hotel accommodation itself is arranged to give every room a beach view (something else which goes an awfully long way with me) although the blocks themselves are quite old. The rooms are, in my opinion, a little on the small side for anything longer than a stay of a few days, and my bathroom was positively cramped. The ancient fixtures and fittings in the room were oddly juxtapositioned with a brand new flat screen telly on the wall, let down only by the fact that the batteries in the remote were flat. Despite the room’s age it was spotlessly clean. My good friend Roundy, whose own contribution appears below, was part of the same conference that I was here for and I’ll refer you to his scrupulously fair review for further information as to what it is like to be in Rodney Bay out of season. Roundy compared the accommodation blocks to a Butlins holiday camp – Due to the absence of an iron in my room I was reminded more of a barrack block thanks to the little room on each corridor which houses the platoon ironing board. I had much fun queuing and chatting to a Grenadian policeman dressed in his slacks and (incredibly, incredibly white) vest whilst he ironed his shirt for the evening... The accommodation blocks do have further issues in so far as when it rains, sandbags have to be placed across the entrances to the ground floor corridors.

So, let’s talk about the rest of the hotel – It sits right on the beach, and it is a pretty good beach. It is a little narrow though, so I’m going to imagine that it gets pretty busy in the high season. The sandy bit was clean and swimming conditions are excellent although I was disappointed at how little of the beach front was set aside for non-watersports participants. I’m all for jet-skiing, sailing, windsurfing and all the other stuff that people like to do when messing about on the water, but when I’m having a swim I do like to know that I’m not about to have my head removed from my shoulders by an enthusiastic but inexperienced water-skier. That said, when I was having my pre-breakfast swim each morning it was simply glorious.

For non-beach enthusiasts, firstly I would ask, “Why have you bothered coming to the Caribbean for your holiday?” but then, in a conciliatory tone I would advise that the hotel has adequate space behind the beach for sun beds and suchlike, spread out on patios and lawns beneath the palm trees. I was surprised at how small the swimming pool is, but as I alluded to earlier there is a perfectly serviceable ocean just a few metres away – Get over yourself and get in the sea for heaven’s sake. It’s good for you.

The restaurant is right on the beach and a more glorious setting for your meals could not be had – I’m going to spare you my usual tirade regarding hotel breakfast buffets on this occasion since there was a lovely lady cooking eggs and omelettes to order. Frankly, have bacon and eggs or an omelette each day and you’ll be quite happy and well set up for the day ahead. The hot buffet lunch I had there was very good as well, although I must confess that all the carbs I had in my aubergine lasagne were not the ideal set-up for the afternoon of presentations and meetings that I had lined up. We learn from our mistakes...

We had two bars to choose from – the lobby bar is small but adequately stocked although it does look a little like an afterthought that has been tucked away in a corner of quite a large area. It is an old-fashioned drinkers’ area in that very little though has been given to ambiance or presentation. It is simply where you go to get drink. Incidentally, I inadvertently wandered through here whilst a –for want of a better word - band was playing “lounge”-versions of Bob Marley classics. The word “tragic” came to mind and I was very sad at the way that one of my all-time favourites (Redemption Song) was ruthlessly slaughtered on the altar of lobby musak.
The beachfront bar, which adjoins the restaurant, is blessed with the same amazing views of yachts and Pigeon Island. Once you get over the same lack of attention to detail that the lobby bar suffers from you’ll really enjoy a couple of sundowners here. Like Roundy I never really got the sense that the bar staff were as enthusiastic about their role as they might have been. One takes into account the fact that we were out of season, but serving drinks rather than texting or simply vanishing from sight for an indeterminate length of time didn’t seem to be preferred option.

So, good value for money in a fantastic location. But be realistic in your expectations – this is what it is like to be a jet-setter.

Oh, by the way - If you are in Rodney Bay on a Friday night you must go to Jump Up in Gros Islet – You can’t go to St Lucia and not experience this! Most of the taxi drivers will, for about sixty East Caribbean Dollars (about fifteen pounds) drive you from Rodney Bay to Gros Islet, wait for you whilst you party like its ninety-ninety-nine until one in the morning, and then drive you back again. If you ask nicely they might even take you to a really good “local” (and I mean that it in its most exciting and interesting sense) eatery on the way.

Thank you for your attention. That is all. Carry on.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I had a split stay between the Rex and the Royal next door in October. I was there for a business conference being held at the Royal. The Rex had just completed some renovations and there were still some areas of the hotel that were blocked off for maintenance. It was a strange environment because it was off season and a large proportion of the hotel was still closed, so there were very few guests. It may not have been the best time to judge it.
My overall impression was that the lobby area was really attractive and the restaurant area for breakfast sits right on the beach and is a beautiful spot in the evening as the sun sets on Rodney Bay. Service in the restaurant and at reception was good, but terrible in the bar, where it seemed that the barman felt that serving drinks was above and beyond the call of duty for him!
The room I stayed in was in a Butlins-type block and had clearly escaped the refurbishment. To be fair, the furnishings in the main room were fine and it was quite spacious but the bathroom was tiny and rundown, though the rather large cockroach I found in there when I came out of the shower seemed quite happy.
Overall it's not a bad hotel, and has direct access on a lovely beach, and is probably good value as an all inclusive package (I wasn't paying). I had however spent 4 nights in the sister hotel the Royal, and the accommodation there was far superior. It is perhaps unfair to compare though, as they are different grade ratings. Depends on your budget I guess. I am perhaps a bit harsh with my 3* rating here, but I gave a 4* rating to the Royal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I first stayed at this hotel in 1983, the only one at the time in Rodney Bay and It has not really changed much since then, maybe a little updated here and there but still a great place to holiday.
We have just returned from a weeks stay and enjoyed it as much as always. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the few problems we had were resolved straight away. We had a ground floor pool view which was prone to creepy crawlies so if your a bit squeamish then I would recommend a first floor room then you would have a sea view as well. Food was excellent but you also have a huge choice in Rodney Bay itself all withing walking distance. We had our second week at Coconut Bay in the South but much preferred the smaller more intimate Rex. I will do a report on Coconut Bay later.

This hote isn't the ritz and you get what you pay for but it has the best location in the North of the island and has sunsets to remember for ever.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I am from Barbados and I visited this hotel in 2011with my boyfriend from Trinidad and I had a great time. It was very memorable would definitely visit again. The Island itself is beautiful but staying at this hotel definitely lends to the experience. The beach is breathtaking and the rooms are very cozy and comfortable. I would definitely advice anyone to stay at this hotel because its definitely worth it.

Regards
One Bajan and a Trini

Room Tip: Corner rooms are cozy and private. The view of the beach is also great.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was our fifth time to the Rex - we keep looking at other islands but then we remember the St Lucian and all of the friendships formed. It really feels like a 'home from home'.

I use a wheelchair and back in 2007 when we first went there it was little bit awkward to get around - but that was our choice. Each time we have gone back management have asked us for input (along with our other friends who also have a wheelchair) and they have now made this hotel almost 100% accessible. There are ramps all around the hotel, to the neighbouring hotel The Royal and also a ramp down to the beach. The ramp at the entrance is too steep but this is being rectified and widened this month (Sept '12); the ramp to the beach is directly by the watersports and can get quite busy there on cruise ship days - so not exactly ideal for the disabled but the management are looking into making a second ramp further up the beach so this will a big bonus. Both swimming pools have a grab rail - again really useful. Apparently the hotel even have a couple of rooms which have 'wet rooms' instead of the traditional bath - just ask.

Rooms - basic but clean (remember this is a 3* hotel with 5* staff), our beds were comfortable. The house-maids are in daily. We did have a problem with the bathroom door lock (can happen) but was replaced within an hour.

Staff - can't praise them enough, even the new ones were very helpful. Special mention to Nirissa, Ajay, Veronica, Lex, Tim, Shanelle, Katherine and of course Greta and Rochelle on reception (and anyone else I've forgotten to mention). They made us feel as if we had never been away. Big thanks to Shabba who even went to the shop for me when I'd forgotten the batteries. A Special thank you goes to the maintenance crew who went beyond the call of duty and helped me when my wheelchair broke and welded it back together.

Food - they've got a new Head Chef and food was generally very good. However, we quickly noticed that when he was at the other restaurant that the quality of the food would go down a little but if he was there (usually most days) then it was really good and pretty varied. The only thing we would like to see is an aditonal option which isn't spicy as kids rebel and won't always eat it.

Beach - described in one word ... heavenly - it's just a shame that some mindless people leave rubbish / cigarette butts on it but the hotel gardeners do go and rake it clean when possible.

The hotel does look a little bit tired - but we know it is being renovated this month (Sept '12).

We travelled with BA this time and will definitely do so again - they were a total breath of fresh air after flying with their main competitor. The only thing that let them down was the St Lucia Representative Services Limited at the airport who clearly either regarded disabled as an inconvenience and should be ignored or are totally ignorant as they were clearly not happy that I am a wheelchair user and tried to ignore my wife once they realised I had one. BA, to their credit, were disgusted about this and are now dealing with this at a top level.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rutland, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

First of all I would like to thank St Lucia Reps who left myself and my wife stranded at the airport. because I am disabled and had my mobility scooter with me, well done to them, why does BA employ such insensitive idiots as their agents? But a big thanks to B A for sorting every thing out for us both, well done.

Right, about the hotel, this is the third time we have visited the hotel as a disabled visitor and the changes made since last year have been very good, more ramps around the hotel making it much easier to get round, this is some more improvements being done in September especially to the front of the hotel to make access easier.

A big thanks to Nirissa, Ajay, and Veronica and all the staff at the hotel for making of our holiday go so well, espessially for our anniversary and my wife's birthday.

The food has improved since last year, this is due to the new head chef being there, there is still a little way to go but they are doing much better.

The rooms are being redone on a one by one basis and the hotel has lost a lot of the shabbyness that was there last year, much cleaner and tidier, this down to the hard work of the maintenence crew and gardeners.

The entertainment was ok the best being the reggee band who play on a Monday, this year they had two wheelchair dancers with them which was really funny and great, I was tired afterwards though!!

All in all this hotel has improved 100% since last year and will be going back again next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Lucian by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!