Having been to a couple of other hotels in the Caribbean, we felt that East Winds, whilst probably not being the most luxurious hotel on St Lucia, was excellent in terms of the relaxed nature of the resort, the excellent service, and the quality of the food and drink included in the all inclusive package.
This is not a hotel to come to if you want non-stop activities and entertainment - our days consisted of a leisurely breakfast, relaxing on the beach, a swim, lunch, a drink or three, more sunbathing, another swim or snorkel, afternoon tea, relaxing by the pool, a swim, pre-dinner drinks, dinner, and then an early night! There are some non-motorised watersports and we went to the Windjammer resport next door to use their Hobie cats and kneeboarding facilities for a relatively small fee (we were glad we didn't stay there though).
All drinks were included in the package, including champagne before dinner, a large list of cocktails and wine by the glass - we like South American wine and there was usually at least one to choose from.
The food was on the whole very good, particularly the barbeques, the pancakes for breakfast, the ice-cream and the rum baba pudding. There were a few things we didn't like, but in our two week stay there weren't a lot of repeated dishes. We did feel however that the four course dinner was one course too much as the portion sizes were generous.
There were no problems in getting loungers by the pool or beach, the room (superior) was large and good enough for the limited time we spent in it (I think the ocean view rooms weren't worth the extra money), the minibar was restocked daily, the internet access was useful for keeping in touch, and although drinks aren't brought to your lounger, it's a short walk to the bar (or self-serve bar) and bottles of water are always available.
The staff were all really friendly, and I'm sure they outnumbered the guests (I think there were more gardeners than guests alone). The music in the evenings was good without being intrusive, and the Saturday lunch time steel band was fab. The other guests were all very friendly and you can socialise as much or as little as you like. A big plus point was that there were no kids when we were there, not that there is much for them to do anyway.
We went on three trips (conveniently late, rainforest sky ride, and half day jeep tour) and can recommend them all.
The only down-sides were: it would have been nice to have Hobie cats as part of the inclusive watersports; the numbers of crabs around (I'm scared of them but managed to used to them, apart from the huge one I saw at the end of our holiday); the number of courses for dinner as mentioned above; and our welcome to the resort - at other hotels, we've gotten used to being welcomed with a rum punch and a tour of the resort, whereas at East Winds we arrived to find reception shut. When the manager arrived we were shown to our room but not given a drink or a tour, so we felt a bit unsure of where to go etc. We saw other guests being given tours and a drink later on in our holiday so maybe we were just unlucky, but it clouded the beginning of our stay a bit.
To sum up - relaxing, great service, good all inclusive deal and very laid back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- East Winds Inn is a truly authentic Caribbean resort, situated on one of St. Lucia's most picturesque sandy bays. Located between the capitol of Castries and the action of Rodney Bay Marina, the resort offers unparalleled ambiance within its 13 acre botanical gardens and 30 cottage style rooms sprinkled throughout the property. Known for its excellent service, fine cuisine and genuine atmosphere, the resort appeals to those who value understated elegance and simple relaxation. Come experience the way the Caribbean once was - before large hotels and crowded beaches. East Winds Inn is a repeat award winner in many categories - over half our guests become repeat visitors to the small resort with a big heart. We are here for your enjoyment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your East Winds Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- East Winds Hotel Gros Islet
- East Winds Resort All Inclusive
- East Winds Inn St. Lucia/Gros Islet