“Service supreme…” 5 of 5 stars
Review of East Winds Inn

You added East Winds Inn to your Saves list
East Winds Inn
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   La Brellotte Bay | Box 1477, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
London, United Kingdom
“Service supreme…”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

Once again we came to trip advisor after deciding that St.Lucia was the island that we wanted to visit. East Winds was the highest trip advisor rated hotel we had stayed in to date. It had the overview we were looking for; relaxed atmosphere, great food and a raft of satisfied customers.

Although it’s tempting to list the facilities and daily activities, I would like to focus on our personal experience and service we had, after all the hotel’s website can tell you what’s on offer.

From the long flight and exciting helicopter transfer we were greeted by Annie, a genuinely friendly and professional girl who clearly understood how tired we were feeling and treated us accordingly. She poured us a lovely rum punch and showed us to the mini suite, explaining all the features of the room (the walk to the room flew past due to a generous measure of punch…).

Like all great holidays the individual days until we left to come home were a bit ‘woolly’ to say the least as East Winds absolutely delivers on what is advertised – and I am one of life’s more cynical peeps!

Our Experience, Food: Breakfast was a good offering in our opinion with the usual fresh fruits, cereals, pastries and hot food along with the obligatory egg and pancake station. Lunch was a similar affair with the odd BBQ dropped in every few days for good measure. Dinner was very good, a four course extravaganza with good variety, nice themes (international and local) and equally good wines to compliment. As good as the food was we were as impressed with the service delivery, more on that to come.

Our Experience, Mini Suite: We went for the mini suite (the only one at EW) and enjoyed the extras that the room provided. Having seen a ‘standard’ room inside and out, we would have been as happy with it (anything but ‘standard’). The main benefit of the mini suite was the private patio to sunbathe on and the cracking sea view. We experienced a fully booked EW for a few days and even at this ‘peak’ there was always free sun loungers at the beach and around the pool, so in short there was never a need to get up early to bag a lounger (although one guest did, which goes to show the conditioning people have by gone through by staying at many lesser resorts around the world).

Our Experience, Staff: The restaurant team were excellent; especially Debbie, Hanna, August and Emmanuel, all of the team worked hard but these four really delivered the East Winds promise. A quick nod also to Jean-Philippe the new Sous Chef who always took the time to talk and give some detail on the day’s menu, not necessary for him to do so but a nice touch anyway, thanks JP.

In the bar Jarvis was all you expect from a cocktail touting Caribbean barman, always friendly and interesting to be with. The same was true of Titus, Kerwin and Windel. It has to be said that the rum punch at EW is excellent! If you are going why not try a coconut milk shake with a double Malibu? Wow!

The Gardening and house keeping teams are probably always over looked but although they weren’t seen much by us they really did work very hard and the constant high standards seen around the lush gardens and within the room are first class, of that there is no doubt.

EW also offers non-motorised water sports (hobby cats, kayaks etc). Now here is a particular highlight to my experience. I let John and Bordon know I wanted to learn how to sail and in literally half and hour they had me sailing up and down. These two guys really made us feel welcome and provided an outstanding service all the way. In fact John found out that we were heading to the Friday night Jump Up and offered to meet us there to show us around. We were glad of the offer as we had heard it could get a bit feisty at times. John met us with his girlfriend and we had a genuinely great time. John explained everything, the do’s and don’ts and this act of kindness on a rare night out for him and his girlfriend really goes to show the best feature of EW- the people who deliver the holiday.

I can’t ever remember being greeted and waived off by the GM of a hotel. Garth however did just that and he was always around and accessible, what a service from a manager who has been here for some years – clearly no complacency there. It’s no surprise that EW keeps on getting the gongs.

Having spoken to Garth a few times, it became quite clear that the culture which had been nurtured by him and his management team was responsible for the great service we enjoyed. EW has got the mix just right in this respect, we can only commend so far without it sounding a bit fake, so hopefully the point is clear: EW staff = 10 / 10

Our return flight was delayed and although we were supposed to be out of the room by 12:00 and getting a taxi to the helicopter pad the staff just took over. We were told we could stay in the room until the end of the day and continue using the facilities as normal. They re-arranged all of the travel arrangements and let us stay without cost – we call that 'putting your money where your mouth is' on the service front!

We stayed at the very popular Meeru in the Maldives in 2007, a place full of repeat visitors; in fact it’s so popular that there is even a fan site devoted to it! I could see the reason for so many repeaters but did not feel like going back ("too many others experiences to be had" we said). With EW however, we both agreed that this is a place we would certainly be re-visiting. Many hotels spend a fortune on Marketing and a mind blowing website to attract their guests, EW however clearly invests their time and money in the most valuable commodity – the teams that deliver what’s promised. Thanks to the EW teams you made our holiday a special one and raised the expectations we have for the future.

If you do your homework and undertsand what East Winds Inn is offering, prepare for a bit of the old 'timeless seaside elegance...'

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Greater London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

I did a lot of research before choosing this hotel for our honeymooon and we weren't disappointed.The things that my new husband and I really rated about this hotel were:
- Quite, secluded, spacious location
- Beautiful gardens
- Lovely beach
- Fantastic food (5 course meal each night!)
- Friendly, relaxed, secure environment
- The parrots & general wildlife
- The receptionists, barmen (Jarvis & Titus) & beach boys (Borden & Jonathan)
- The catamarans
- Free branded spirits
- Free Champagne
- Self service swim up bar (had fun making own cocktails)
- Virgin rep ( Anthony) and excursions especially 'Virgins Ahoy' and 'Lime Around'

The things that we thought could be improved upon, which would take my rating from a 4* to a 5*, would be:
- Air conditioning in all the units (I do think that for the money we paid this should have been standard, an extra fan was provided when asked though)
- Updated bathrooms (we were in room 7 and the bathroom was only average)
- Updated decor (the furniture in the rooms was a bit tired and shabby - I had expected it to be more 'plush')
- All staff to be friendly and attentive (We had expected faultless service due to the reviews we'd read on trip advisor and whilst the service was good it could be improved upon in my opinion. Most of the staff were friendly and attentive however the restaurant staff were often a bit thin on the ground during breakfast and lunch and we sometimes felt like we'd be forgotten. Also not all of the restuarant staff seemed that happy to be there.)
- Access to alcohol past 12pm (yes, there were some beers in our fridge in our room however it seemed a shame that the bar closed at 12pm even if people were around and wanted to carry on drinking/ socialising)

Overally my husband and I had a fantastic honeymoon and we would recommend East Winds to family & friends who were looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday with great food and wine. One thing I would highly recommend people do whilst at East Winds is to leave the resort at least once and explore a bit of the island. My hubby and I went on a few excursions, including hiring our own car for the day, and they were great!!

We hope to return one day!

worcester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

My wife and I have lost count of our visits to Eastwinds. Just believe us when we say we shall go again next year. It is for relaxing, unwinding, enjoying new and repeat guest company, great food experiences served by the most friendly welcoming staff who remember you year by year. Hobbycats and Yoga are good additions and yet not interrupting the daily routine.
We certainly dream of Saturday Lunchtime with the Steel Band, on the beach.
Thats Eastwinds, thats the Caribbean.
Thank You Gareth, and all your team for a lovely holiday.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

I am a cynical man who has had to stay in hotels a lot as part of my working life and I cannot find a single bad thing to say about this hotel.

It seems only fair to expect service of a certain standard but I did think that helping to mend my little guitar that had been damaged in transit and having it fixed by noon on our first day went way beyond what could be considered normal good service.

In a world where insincere “have a nice day” culture dominates it was delightful to deal with a staff who seem to genuinely want to help you and each other to make your stay at the hotel as pleasant as they possibly can. From a guests point of view it is often hard to judge but the staff all seemed to be working as more of a family than a workforce, all of them had only praise for the hotel and other people that they worked with and they were without a doubt and without exception the nicest and happiest staff in any hotel that I have visited.

It seems unfair to single out anyone in particular from such a remarkable group of people but I must mention the men who look after the water sports on the beach. In the past I have tried, and failed to learn the rudiments of sailing three times. With a rare combination of watchful guidance and letting me get on with it these two had me sailing across the bay in a catamaran in a couple of days. The level of practical knowledge that they have given me and the safety I felt under their tutelage was unsurpassed; the only problem is that now I need a boat of my own!

I will leave the online brochure to describe the grounds and facilities available only adding that if anything they are much better than described, what the brochure cannot capture is the feeling of absolute peacefulness and tranquillity that this hotel and it’s wonderful staff inspires.

Mark Fletcher.

Voorhees, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

My wife and I wanted our honeymoon and first trip to St. Lucia to be special. We had a picture in our minds of the look and feel of the perfect getaway. We were incredibly surprised when we arrived at the East Winds. It was as if the picture in our minds was transported onto this resort just for us. Every aspect of this vacation was exactly what we were looking for in a honeymoon retreat. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking, with beautiful exotic gardens leading to a secluded beach, and a calm stunning blue ocean that you can’t help but want to jump into. The staff makes you feel like you’re the only people on the resort and never left an empty glass or plate at any point during our stay. I don’t think I could do the cuisine justice in a short blurb so I will just say that when you dine at East Winds you will not be disappointed. The accommodations are cozy and welcoming with a great open-air shower area. But for us the best part was that at East Winds you make your own vacation. No DJs or pool activities, no timeshare presentations, just a place to relax and enjoy the sites, tastes, sounds, and feels of this wonderful island. So if you want to take a break for a while and just be pampered, then this place should be at the top of your list. I don’t know how we will ever go anywhere else in the Caribbean.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

We have just returned from our forth visit to East Winds Inn in five years. Each time My wife and I leave with the same feeling that it just couldn't get better, yet each year something magical happens and the bar is raised yet higher. We are lucky enough to have stayed in some beautiful places, but Eastwinds surely surpasses all of these. It is a combination of low key luxury together with an enviroment which is so conducive to making friends. We have travelled with our teenage daughter and young son and each have just slotted in, made friends and made to feel a member of family by the staff.

I cannot rate this hotel highly enough, I can only concur with all the other commentaries, it is a truely magical place, that with or without children makes you feel completely relaxed, rejuvinated and yet inspired at the same time. I have recommended East Winds to clients and friends with just one caveat and that is "that the only drawback with Eastwinds Inn is that once you have been there it takes you under its spell and you have to go back".

Nick Hall

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Having read so many positive reviews over the past year or so, we were not surprised that East Winds delivered exactly what we had hoped for during our week long stay. That is, a relaxing, tranquil holiday at a high-quality but low-key hotel in a beautiful setting - a million miles away from a wet, cold and miserable autumnal UK.

What did surprise us is that East Winds not only matched our expectations but far exceeded them. From the greeting received on arrival to the farewell on departure and everything in between, the management and staff could not have been more accommodating or helpful and cheerful. As well as the high service levels, the hotel oozed charm and quality from all angles - our room, the gardens, the restaurant, bars/lounge, the pool and beach. We found our fellow guests to be friendly and as sociable as we wanted to be - in other words one can be as sociable or unsociable as one wishes and that suited us fine.

This was not only our first visit to East Winds but our first to St Lucia and the Caribbean. It is going to be very hard to look beyond this hotel for future visits to this part of the World. In fact we've already booked up to return for two weeks next June. Can't wait!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to East Winds Inn? Share your experiences!