“Loved every minute” 5 of 5 stars
Review of East Winds Inn

You added East Winds Inn to your Saves list
East Winds Inn
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   La Brellotte Bay | Box 1477, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Gros Islet
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Loved every minute”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My new husband and I stayed here for our Honeymoon.

We arrived and were welcomed with the lovely cool towel and a rum punch. We were shown around and made to feel very welcome straight away.

The location is perfect and the beach feels very private.

Food was brilliant. Four course evening meals were great and lots of fish which we loved. Breakfast really sets you up for the day and once we found Paula's banana pancakes with sugar syrup we couldn't go back to anything else! Piles of fresh fruit were readily available too and very tasty.

There are a lot of resorts in St Lucia, there is only one that you can see from East Winds. Largely this was not a problem although be aware that they sometimes have a noisier night with loud music which is very audible. This was only on a couple of nights and did not affect the rest of the stay.

Water sports are nicely non-motorised which really helped to maintain a relaxing atmosphere. We went out on the hobbie-cat a few times. We also gave the glass bottomed board a go which is a good way to see the fish if you're not so fond of snorkelling. The kayaks are fun too. If you need any encouragement or teaching for the water sports then help is at hand!

Cocktails from the bar were very difficult to resist. Particularly good is the Mango Tango with fresh crushed mango in it. The virgin cocktails went down very well too.

I can't wait until we come back again....but we definitely will.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post your lovely review, it is much appreciated.

Fortunately the noisy neighbour is not too intrusive on a night when our Steinway is in full flow.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

My fiancé and I first visited East Winds In in October 2013, it was such an amazing. perfect place and we couldn't stop talking about it so we booked it for April 2014 (normally I wouldn't go to the same country twice, let alone the same hotel so this speaks volumes about it!). My fiancé proposed to me on our second trip here, he arranged it by emailing Gareth (the general manager) beforehand and all the staff made it a perfect and amazingly happy experience. They arranged a special dinner for us in a secluded spot on the beach, and the attention to detail was incredibly impressive (our own special menus, beautiful flowers etc.).The best things about East Winds Inn are the staff (very friendly, attentive service and so much better than at a 'commercialised' hotel chain), the food (faultless, innovative and consistently outstanding quality) and the beautiful surroundings with the plans, flowers and wildlife. East Winds Inn is truly paradise, the best holidays I have had. This sentiment seems to be shared by many visitors who all seem to be regulars, we even met one couple who had been going twice a year for the past twenty years.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a lovely review, it was a very special occasion, a return visit with an engagement surprise, we all remember that evening very well indeed.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I booked the East Winds Inn for a Christmas/New Year break, rather at the the last minute, and relied on a mix of travel agent's recommendation and Tripadvisor reviews. I was uncertain whether I had made the right choice as I generally go for "brand" hotels or recommendations from friends. But, a day into my stay I knew this was a great place for a relaxing winter break.

This is a relatively small hotel - 30 bungalows and chalets in the grounds I think. Accommodation is clean and functional but no marble bathrooms or plasma TVs (at least not in my room). Amenities are fairly limited....there is a pool, yoga area, and kayaks etc at the beach, but that's about it. So, what makes this place worthy of an excellent rating and a price for a fortnight's holiday that would buy you a new car?

The staff are wonderful, attentive, friendly, and go out of their way to make your stay delightful. On Christmas Eve there was a terrible storm that damaged large parts of the island (a very unusual event I hasten to add so don't be put off) but the service at the hotel continued with barely a hitch. The food and wine were of excellent quality with a good choice of both each evening. After the first week I had to start skipping lunch as three great meals a day (plus tea) and minimal exertion was causing havoc to my waistline.

I wanted a place to relax, de-stress, read, and a total alternative to the usual Christmas with the extended family. East Winds Inn definitely gave me that, so for me it was the perfect location.

Gareth, the hotel manager, was very visible and approachable - I don't think I have ever spoken to the hotel manager at any other place I have stayed. Paula at breakfast is also lovely and does a perfect poached egg.

I guess my only gripe would be the bathroom. It was OK but could really do with a make-over - plastic shower curtains don't look good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
, General Manager at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post an excellent positive review, it is highly appreciated.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

East Winds certainly exceeded our expectations. We chose to get married during our stay and the staff could not have made this a more stress-free occasion. They took care of everything and provided a fabulous romantic location. Credit to Glenda, the wedding planner, to Sylvanus, the head gardener who arranged the flowers and site, and to Ashley the photographer who was very professional and produced some superb photos. Apart from the wedding, which was of course a highlight, East Winds gave us a free room upgrade, assigning us the suite with access directly to the beach.
The food was of a high standard, and couldn't be faulted. We particularly enjoyed the excellent fresh seafood. As others have said, this is a superbly relaxing place to stay made so by the welcoming, professional and extremely friendly staff. We are already planning to be back for a future anniversary.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Many thanks for taking time to post a lovely review following your wedding at East Winds, we look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future for the anniversary celebration.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Fantastic is the only word.The staff were attentive and the food was excellent. The variety of fish dishes was amazing and Auntie Paula's breakfast omelettes were worth the trip on their own.

Loved the cocktails too.

We will certainly be back at some point in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Many thanks for taking time to post a review, and another positive plug for Auntie Paula's corner.

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Where do i start,, A huge thank you first of all to all the wonderful staff who work at this hotel, A credit to the hotel in their manner, friendliness very happy to help with any thing day or night. We just got married at this hotel and what a beautiful day it was. The garden took us around the grounds so we could choose where we wanted to get married. We chose the beach as it was quite close to our sea view room. What a magical day it was. We met some wonderful people who where staying there too. We had a couple that have become our friends from the states who were our witness for our wedding. It was a marvellous beautiful day. The photographer took some beautiful photos for us. The food in this hotel was very good every night. The afternoon scones i adored as i would skip lunch after a large breakfast and then have evening meal which was always tasty. A b b que once a week with huge prawns, steak, fish etc all cooked in front of you. The sea was calm and very inviting.. The pool bar was one on its own as we have never been any where where you help yourself to drinks. All named brands too. All in all a Superb place to stay. Thank you to each and every one of you for a great 2 week holiday. So looking forward to returning some day. xx

Room Tip: sea view rooms are beautiful.lovely balcony too.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a lovely review following your wedding at East Winds, it is highly appreciated.

We look forward to your return some time in the future for an anniversary celebration!

GM.
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We recently spent 11 nights at East Winds Inn and had a fantastic time. Having read so many superlative filled reviews before we went I was concerned the hotel would not live up to my expectations, I need not have worried it exceeded most of them.

We had a deluxe room (these are the more expensive rooms) which had everything we needed. It was very spacious, the sunken shower was something we had not seen before and we loved sitting on the terrace with a drink from the fridge or cup of tea watching the wildlife particularly the humming birds.

The pool was great, we had it all to ourselves for a couple of days. We enjoyed making our own cocktails at the self serve bar and using the floats provided to laze away the minutes. The beach is ok we had 2 really good days for snorkelling when it was very clear and we saw loads of different fish and 2 days when it was choppier and the sand was churned up and you could see very little. The beach was the one thing that I found disappointing. As previous reviewers have said it needs smartening up, some umbrellas had only one bed under them some had none and some tables from the pool area were on the beach. The metal fence is not very attractive and not helped by having a dustbin at the end of it, for this reason I much preferred the beach on the other side.

The food was outstanding, I'm vegetarian and food always becomes a problem on holidays but other than a couple of lunchtimes when there was not much of a selection for me the food was the best I've had on any holiday. When the staff realised I was vegetarian and didn't have a lot of choice the chef started to cook something specially for me at lunchtime which was very much appreciated. My husband loved all the food even dishes he wasn't sure about turned out to be delicious. The choice of wine was good 2 reds 2 whites and a rose were offered every night.

We did the fitness trail and tried the yoga and pilates classes, the pavilion is stunning and we enjoyed the classes but felt they would have been quite difficult for complete beginners.

I can't put my finger on what it is exactly that makes EWI so special but from the minute we arrived and were shown to our room we felt completely relaxed. The hotel is very quiet and peaceful. The staff are professional as you would expect at this sort of resort but some went out of their way to be
friendly and chatty and take an interest in us. We have never returned to a hotel before but EWI will
definitely change this, we will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gareth L, General Manager at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Many thanks for taking time to write a lovely review, and I like the constructive comments you made regarding our left hand side beach , the one we call "Horlicks".

New improvements have recently been made to the boundary fence, sixty feet of attractive green trellis fencing now hide the metal one, and regarding beach furniture , a full compliment of beach loungers are now back in place from being serviced and fitted with new slings.

GM

Been to East Winds Inn? Share your experiences!