“One of the Best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of East Winds Inn

Save Saved
You added East Winds Inn to your Saves list
East Winds Inn
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   La Brellotte Bay | Box 1477, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
Bognor Regis
“One of the Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Having had a very sad 2013, we gave ourselves a chance to 'refresh' for 2014. East Winds was a superb choice - absolutely gorgeous, everything we needed. The staff were all brilliant, would like to give special thanks to the boatman (twin of the sea!) who took us out in the Hobby Cat, it was great!!!! The food was excellent and the staff all friendly, kind and helpful, our 'Delux room with air con' was great - and spectacularly cleaned every day, again thankyou! We went whale/dolphin watching, not to be missed. We have visited Antigua - nowhere near as nice as St. Lucia, there we found the people not so friendly or the scenery so beautiful! Very impressed with so many sunbeds everywhere - double the amount needed for the guests staying! Even though the resort was full when we were there, it felt half full and was so very peaceful, so much space surrounding all! One thing though in the delux appartments, make sure you put on the light when going to the bathroom in the dark - half asleep, it is very easy to fall into the sunken shower/bath - which I did! Rectified the problem by leaving light on all night!!!!!!!

Room Tip: They are all good!
, General Manager at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Many thanks for your lovely review. We are very happy to learn your time spent at EW has helped you get over the previous year of sadness, I agree you certainly came to the right place.

The entire staff , a wonderful team of 81 persons, know precisely how to enhance the feel good factor in our guests, they do it naturally, they are the heart beat of our truly special resort.

527 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
St Mary Bourne UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Our return visit to East Winds Inn did not disappoint and it would be easy to echo the sentiments of so many reviewers. It is certainly a gem of a hotel with great staff who cannot do enough for our relaxation and enjoyment. To be able to fetch a drink, go for a sail, saunter into lunch, linger in the bar, wander around the botanical gardens and marvel at the hummingbirds, all at OUR convenience was a true holiday and we relaxed from the moment we arrived.
The food was excellent on our previous visit, it was even better this time! Tomaz and his team created delicately balanced menus, so that although there were several courses at dinner, we never felt that we had eaten too much and the flavour explosions were exceptional. The infectious humour and gentle teasing of the staff only added to the enjoyment of our table by the sea!
Hotels of this nature are far and few between and we would urge you not to change a thing, it is a magical place!
signed "Top International" ... the waiters will know !!

Room Tip: We have stayed in Beach front, Superior and De Luxe - they are ALL good!
, General Manager at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for returning to see us and for your lovely review, short and concise, it says everything there is to know.

Do not be concerned, nothing will change at EW under my watch.

Diss, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Dear Gareth, ALL the staff at East Winds.....and Thomas, the cat!

I am sure I now find myself in the same predicament as my fellow Tripadvisor reviewers when it comes to East Winds Inn. What on earth can I say that is original? I will try my best.
People go on holiday for all sorts of reasons. This time last year my husband and I were going through a particularly stressful and distressing time. Three very close family members died within 17 weeks. When we managed to come up for air we decided a really special holiday was called for, something we had never done before and it had to be the right spot. We wanted a beautiful place, peace and quiet , good food and wine and some sunshine. In short, we wanted to be looked after.
East Winds appeared to be able to deliver on all counts. We were not disappointed.
From the moment we arrived, greeted by Rochelle with the now famous cold flannel and Rum Punch it was as if East Winds were saying 'Right, you're here, now relax and let us take care of everything'. We were walked through the beautiful gardens to our home for the next 2 weeks. A Deluxe room with everything we could need. We particularly enjoyed the 'outdoor' shower! Thomas the hotel cat soon made himself known to us and one of my favourite holiday snaps is of Thomas and my husband fast asleep on the terrace outside our room.
Don't come to East Winds if you are a delicate eater. The food is divine as my increased waistline will testify. I'm afraid my usual Bran Flakes and blueberries breakfast went right out of the window as I tucked into Paula's delicious scrambled eggs and bacon, toast, as much tea/coffee as I wanted and the delicious daily 'pick me up' (freshly made juice of the day). Lunch was equally wonderful and it is so easy to have a light lunch of cold meats and salads or be really naughty and have a Caribbean curry! Dinner is real fine dining accompanied by a choice of well selected wines. Thank you Wendell for remembering which wine we liked and somehow managing to top up the glasses just at the right time! Miriam and Mavis, you were both lovely, we enjoyed our giggle with you, Mavis, about the banana curry ice cream. Are you SURE you didn't have Heston Blumenthal in the kitchen that night?? One of our table of 4 thought it was wonderful, the rest of us thought she'd had a little too much sun!
It would be far too easy to carry on waxing lyrical about this wonderful place. The staff certainly make it. I would like to say a huge thank you to all the people who work so hard in the background, the ones we really don't see. The front of house faces are just first class, but they are part of a well trained team.
As the holiday progressed we relaxed more and more, East Winds worked its famous magic and we are so glad it did. As an added bonus we have made some lovely new friends who we are going to keep in touch with now we are back home and who knows hopefully we may all get together at East Winds in the future. We are planning a return visit so we have become part of the extended family that's for sure. As my husband remarked..'Well, that's January sorted!' Mind you, I had threatened him with divorce if he didn't take me back. Actually, I'd better be careful, that could backfire on me!
Thank you East Winds for your warmth, your care and your fun.You helped us through a tricky time.

Very best wishes,
Colin and Diana Rm 19

Room Tip: The Deluxe room we had was lovely, equally we saw a Superior room which our new friends stayed in an...
, General Manager at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful review.We are also thrilled to note Thomas is mentioned in the top line, it is a special year for our Tom, he turns 16yrs next month.

Mention of Heston Blumenthal is a first, indeed he could learn a thing or two from our chefs and the kitchen brigade.

Totnes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Having never been to St Lucia before I looked at Tripadvisor before booking and was impressed by the reviews for the East Winds so we booked there.

I can safely say that the reviews fully justify this hotel. The accommodation, food and staff were all excellent and we really enjoyed our stay so much so that we never left the resort while we were there.

Hoping to return later for another perfect week

Room Tip: the journey from the airport to the resort is long but worth it
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We were in need of a new hotel to experience in the north of the island, having stayed at several of the popular and larger resorts over the years.

We happen-chanced upon East Winds during a Tripadvisor search and our curiosities were peaked by finding this little hotel we had not heard about in mainstream advertising being number 1 of all the hotels in Gros Islet!

We decided it was worth a try given its premier ranking, so I booked a weekend to celebrate my husband’s birthday.

My hubby came down with the flu just before our stay but I can say for certain that by the end of our weekend, he was definitely on the mend and feeling so much better. I was also quite de-stressed and back in a Zen state! We lay the blame for this healing squarely on the shoulders of the staff, service and surroundings of East Winds Inn! Thank you, our new-found haven of respite!

We know why so many people simply love East Winds and rate it consistently excellent!
From the moment we arrived, we were treated like welcomed guests. Your bags are whisked away to your room as you step out of your vehicle and within minutes you’re holding a cold beverage and strolling slowly down the path to your room. No better way to start a vacation!

Having tried other hotels and all-inclusive properties who boast grand buffets at meal times, nothing we’ve experienced so far comes close to the quality and deliciousness of the food served at East Winds Inn! The buffet is often simple but clearly much thought and effort goes into crafting a menu that is special and delights the palate! The Friday night BBQ and local Chak-Chak band is a MUST to experience! The shrimp skewers and fish parcels (wrapped in banana leaves) cooked on the old sugar cane boiling pots (refashioned as grills), were the best we’ve had on island! And Saturday lunch was really enjoyable to the sounds of Steelpan!

The restaurant and bars never felt crowded and we instantly relaxed in the informal environment. Having been to some resorts where cocktails before dinner is a prim and proper affair, it was nice to feel like we were in a friend’s living room while having our pre-dinner drinks.

Afternoon tea sitting around the pool was nice and gave us a chance to meet and greet other guests. We loved the pool bar! We’ve never experienced this before where all alcohol, chasers, ice, juices, etc are available for everyone to serve themselves anytime of the day as they wish!

We stayed in an Ocean View room (number 27) and loved waking up to the beach view! Our bed was super comfy and we loved having the well-stocked fridge which was refilled for us daily. Nice bath amenities and very relaxing ambience in the room. We loved having our morning coffee on the balcony listening to the sea and birds. So relaxing!

It is so convenient to walk down the grassy slope out front and be on the sand in seconds. The bay is secluded and bathing is good. The water is calm and clear.

We found the Guide to the Gardens book only a few hours before our departure, but we immediately set about to identify some of the trees & plants around the property. A walk through the gardens is truly a unique immersion experience into the flora & fauna of St. Lucia!

We felt like relatives being greeted personally by the GM, Gareth Leach, who spends some time each day speaking with and getting to know his guests. A wonderful change to so many hotels where you never see, much less, meet executive management!

From the time we started communicating with Glenda Mathurin for our reservation to our departure, we were highly impressed with the standard of service provided and the truly genuine interest and warmness we experienced from all staff. Special thanks to Rochelle, Mavis, Miriam and so many other who made our first stay at East Winds, a really special birthday experience! You will definitely see us again in 2014!

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View Room. Close to the restaurant, bars, pool and beach. Ideally situated yet comp...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I appreciate this is a little belated but having just signed up for Trip Advisor, I thought I owed East Winds Inn a review!
I'm 16 and have previously visited Barbados twice, where I stayed both times in a much busier hotel. Given this, my parents were unsure if I'd find a way to occupy myself in a smaller, more relaxed hotel.
But I am thrilled to say - this is by far the best hotel I have visited, and I've had the blessing of travelling a lot!
The staff are all gems: I remember a lot of names and as a family we built up a fantastic rapport with most, if not all of them. I won't ever forget Windell's smile!
The food lives up to its reputation and then exceeds it by a mile. The enormous variety and never ending supply of fresh fish was perfect, not to mention the sushi, my favourite food. Possibly the best I've ever tasted. Also the chef cooked up a conch we found snorkling!
The water sports were great on a quiet ocean, and I was allowed to sail alone on a hobie cat having proved my competence. That was lovely!
The evening entertainment was fantastic, honest music, with the addition of the beautiful Steinway piano. On request the pianist played my favourite song, a lovely memory.
Relating to 'occupying myself', I found that being a little older than when visiting Barbados, it was a perfect fortnight of relaxation.
The rooms and grounds are beautiful, a bunch of cute huts nestled in a miniature tropical jungle with a nature trail and fitness trail.
Also, I noticed that everybody at the hotel, from manager to gardener was always too happy to help. The hotel was full of happy, relaxed vibes and peace, where time never seemed to go too fast.
Apologies for the delay in review but I needed to leave one!! This is by far the best hotel I've been to and will definitely be returning! Thank you very much to all the staff - if I named them all, we'd be here forever. Thanks for the perfect holiday!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
George R, Owner at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
BEST REVIEW – THANK YOU

I must admit after reading your wonderful review of East Winds Inn, the portion that really grabbed my attention was your age – a generous 16 years of experienced travel which allowed you to enjoy even the most subtle aspects of the resort. Then, when one considers you hail from Oxford, I shouldn’t be the least bit surprised. Now all we ask is that you tell all your friends so we can begin the downward revision to the average age of our guests!

Seriously, your review is so complimentary and informative at the same time – you must be an English major. Like so many before you, you cite the staff for the extent of your enjoyment. That is a most kind and deserved gesture – as was calling East Winds the best hotel you have ever been to. We certainly hope that we have not ruined you in terms of expectations from others, at such a young age. Just keep coming back, and you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for your valuable input – you could end up being one of our longest term repeat guests if you make visiting for relaxation a habit. We look forward to that.

Best regards,

George J. Reti
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Spent a week and never left the grounds. This all-inclusive has different food and good wine every meal.This resort will spoil you and is geared to the more reserved couples who like nice things. It is quiet and relaxing. You can fit in as many activities as you want or just relax by the pool bar. In the morning we took advantage of the open air exercise room and exercise stations then read by the ocean until we could enjoy the sunset. We never needed money for anything. The staff was perfect, the room was clean and had a sink & stocked refrig on the porch. The beach front units are smaller but have a better view. We were in room 11 which was a little to close the staff house noise, also had trouble with the beeping smoke alarm. It took 1 hour from the airport to arrive by taxi, but the views were nice. We were there in December and the water was not real blue as some other places but it was clean but not good for snorkeling.

Room Tip: 3 Beachfront units are connected and are smaller and share a common area. The other units are 2 room...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
George R, Owner at East Winds Inn, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
THANKS FOR THE VERY GOOD REVIEW OF A GREAT GETAWAY

We appreciate your candid posting of the week long experience you clearly enjoyed at East Winds Inn. The fact you found everything to your satisfaction, and felt spoiled by the caring staff, is rewarding for all.
It seems you had a varied offering in terms of activities, and partook in those which gave you pleasure and relaxation. That is the fundamental philosophy of the resort – do as much or as little as you like, and still have a wonderful time. Of course, the cuisine and drinks are an activity all unto themselves, and as you state, you never needed any money for anything.

Thank you for pointing out the noise from the staff area – St. Lucians are known for their enthusiasm – especially when it involves a serious game of dominoes. We will ask them to tone it down a bit in the future, although this is the first time we have heard of this as being a concern.

Your constructive comments make a difference in our ability to ensure total guest satisfaction, and we appreciate your support of East Winds Inn. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Best regards,

George J. Reti

Been to East Winds Inn? Share your experiences!