What I loved most about this hotel was that it knows exactly what it wants to be and doesn't allow current hotel trends to influence it; because of this, it perfectly achieves its tag-line of "timeless seaside elegance". Everything is top quality, from the furnishings to the service, food, and surroundings; it's luxury in the quietest, most understated way, so that you can totally relax and feel that you are experiencing the best that St Lucia can offer. The staff are a brilliant, friendly, happy team who make sure that everything is as you want, and here the all-inclusive package is taken to a whole new level: top brand drinks, champagne, superb cocktails, excellent wines offered at dinner (none of your "house wine" nonsense!), and menus which would compete with top London restaurants. Because there are only 30 rooms, it's beautifully quiet and the beach has plenty of room so no need to reserve sunbeds - sometimes we were the only couple on the beach or in the sea (which is calm and warm, incidentally), and felt very at peace as the beach bar doesn't play music during the day. Beaches are public in St Lucia, so locals like to come and party at weekends, but they access the waterline from a side road and never come up to the sunbeds and the hotel. The pool set in the gardens is small but deliciously warm and again very quiet, with plenty of sunbeds, and tables for afternoon tea - here, the swim-up bar is help-yourself: same top brands, with everything you need to make your own cocktails. The other two bars and the restaurant, all near the beach, are luxurious and open-air (how do they keep the restaurant's Steinway piano in tune in this humidity?), and the evening entertainment is low-key music, usually with a Caribbean feel. We stayed in a spotless deluxe room, where the air conditioning was delicious, and where we had an amazing amount of storage space, and a really huge and comfy bed. The bathroom was beautifully appointed with a fantastic step-down shower; it's semi-open-air affair (which I know is very popular but personally I find the humidity a bit much). The front patio with its outdoor kitchenette overlooking the gardens was a delight: being on "English time" and waking early, we spent an hour sitting with a cuppa enjoying watching the humming birds before breakfast and then wandering through the amazing gardens looking at the wonderful trees and shrubs (all itemized in a booklet in the room). As for breakfast - oh, Paula, I miss eggs cooked the way you do them! Note to management: could Paula please have frying pans with insulated handles: I'm afraid she'll burn her hands!
All in all, this is a perfect place if like me you value peace and quiet. Welcoming,unpretentious, no bling, no noise, no burgers or hot dogs (go to Sandals if you want all that!), but pure, civilised, simple luxury. Thank you so much, Gareth and team, for doing such a great job!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- East Winds Inn is a truly authentic Caribbean resort, situated on one of St. Lucia's most picturesque sandy bays. Located between the capitol of Castries and the action of Rodney Bay Marina, the resort offers unparalleled ambiance within its 13 acre botanical gardens and 30 cottage style rooms sprinkled throughout the property. Known for its excellent service, fine cuisine and genuine atmosphere, the resort appeals to those who value understated elegance and simple relaxation. Come experience the way the Caribbean once was - before large hotels and crowded beaches. East Winds Inn is a repeat award winner in many categories - over half our guests become repeat visitors to the small resort with a big heart. We are here for your enjoyment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your East Winds Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- East Winds Hotel Gros Islet
- East Winds Resort All Inclusive
- East Winds Inn St. Lucia/Gros Islet