Just returned from St. Lucia after 2 weeks relaxation in EWI. We have stayed in resorts before where 'Trip Advisors' would lash out 5 stars on the resorts, but our own experiences couldn't match such enthusiasm - something was missing ( eg Galley Bay - Antigua). My wife and I were afraid that this might be the case with EWI, but NO. This is a genuine 5 Star experience (not 5 star hotel it has to be said, but that's irrelevant).
Things to do range from Yoga, table tennis, running track at the top of the resort, watersports such as Hobbie cats, canoes, snorkeling (all free), small very clean swimming pool (cleaned every day)with serve yourself swim up bar.
The chalet layout lends itself to the tranquility of the resort (we stayed in No. 12 2 minutes walk to beach / swimming pool) - semi detached with own verandah, fridge outside the room, very clean and tidy room, large comfortable King size bed, large flat screen tv and DVD player (dvds from reception) , more than enough storage space for clothes. The bathroom has a large stand-in shower area with window screens open to the outside- privacy still very good though., twin sinks and all the soap/ shower gel etc you need, powerful hairdrier that can be used in the bedroom. One downside to no.12 was being woken up by mangoes falling off the nearby tree onto the roof - the first time is the worse!!)
The restaurant is located on the beach accessed via the 2 bars. Breakfast (cereals, fresh fruit, breads, toast, cooked food, fruit juices, teas, coffees), Lunches (buffet food, every other day bar-b-que with choice of fish, meats, kebabs or all three) and evening dinner generally 5 course a-la-carte with many choices. Friday night bar-b-que should not be missed. The food isn't totally outstanding, but is very,very good and is well covered from birds/flys. Other resorts let themselves down here. Afternoon tea served at the pool. The drinks in the bars are mostly premium brands.
Plenty of sunbeds either on the beach or at the pool (our choice was the pool) - no need to put towel out to snatch the location (during our stay, one woman from Scotland religiously did this everday ! - NO NEED!!)
Most of the clientele are/were UK with occasional US/Canadians thrown in. A few were returning again, some again and again.
The staff are generally long term employees, and are very experienced. Miriam, Harry, Wendel, Titus, Elie etc mix well with the guests.
One down side while we were there - mossies !! - The weather varied from very hot/ clear days to very wet/cloudy days, and this would bring about the guests generally discussing each and very new bite(s). Every week the resort would 'fog' the area and each room has a large can of spray to use in the room when leaving for dinner.
Finally, there's Gareth the manager. Never been to a resort before where the manager would be as high profile as Gareth (it was as if he was a guest we saw him so much). He would mingle with the guests and converse easily, his general knowledge would put him onto the final of MasterMind.
We've been to Nisbet Plantation in Nevis, and is very similar to EWI. We have always said we would return to there, but now we would also return to EWI, may be not next year but soon, very soon.
Thanks East Winds, thank you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- East Winds Inn is a truly authentic Caribbean resort, situated on one of St. Lucia's most picturesque sandy bays. Located between the capitol of Castries and the action of Rodney Bay Marina, the resort offers unparalleled ambiance within its 13 acre botanical gardens and 30 cottage style rooms sprinkled throughout the property. Known for its excellent service, fine cuisine and genuine atmosphere, the resort appeals to those who value understated elegance and simple relaxation. Come experience the way the Caribbean once was - before large hotels and crowded beaches. East Winds Inn is a repeat award winner in many categories - over half our guests become repeat visitors to the small resort with a big heart. We are here for your enjoyment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Venere, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your East Winds Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- East Winds Hotel Gros Islet
- East Winds Resort All Inclusive
- East Winds Inn St. Lucia/Gros Islet