The Royal is in a lovely location on Rodney Bay with the bounds of the hotel right on the beach. I was there on business but my wife came along as a holiday. It has a good pool area which was being retiled whilst we were there with lovely new white marble. The pool bar is great and has twofers every evening around sunset.
The hotel looks after its guests on the beach with security patrols to keep unwanted hawkers away and to ensure that the lovely thatched shade umbrellas are kept for guest use. The bay is well protected but the beach slopes quickly down to a fair depth of water so families with non-swimming kids need to be alert.
The hotel has a large dining area but we preferred the small romantic restaurant that juts out onto the beach. Its great to experience fine dining with the sea only a few yards away. There are plenty of great little restaurants only a short walk from the hotel.
The rooms seem to be all fairly large with open plan bedroom and bathroom areas plus a split level lounge area with a balcony. The nicest views are found in the rooms that are at the end of the two wings which face directly onto the ocean but all the rooms have a pretty view of the garden, pool and beach. Our only complaint was that the rooms tend to be a bit tired looking and the maintenance could be better with frequent requests to have bulbs replaced, broken fittings sorted out, the safe fixed, getting the TV and Aircon working. Perhaps the worse thing were the beds that we found hard and very bouncy but that can be down to personal preference. There are no lifts so the rooms on the 3rd floor were a bit of a struggle with our luggage.
We loved the cheerful staff who appeared genuinely happy to sort out all our minor gripes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Acclaimed as one of the best in St Lucia, the spectacular mile-long Reduit Beach fronts this all-suite hotel while, with a backdrop of rainforest covered hills, atmospheric Rodney Bay is reached within a few moments stroll. Standing in beautifully manicured grounds, the hotel offers an elegant blend of privacy and sophistication. Beneath palm-frond parasols, elegant furnishings allow for lazy days on the sandy beach or relax instead by the large lagoon-style swimming pool shaded by palm trees. The Royal Spa offers an enticing variety of treatments ranging from a reviving jet-lag busting massage to sensual aromatherapy and body care while, for the more energetic, the fully-equipped fitness room is available free to our guests. A delicious full buffet breakfast is included at L'Epicure, an elegant al fresco restaurant next to the beach which also offers tantalising a-la-carte dinner choices. Fine dining experiences can be enjoyed at Chic in the evening while, cooled by gentle sea breezes, the Beach Tent is a perfect venue for lunch. Perhaps enjoy a cocktail at the charming Minstrals Lounge before visiting the elegant Oriental restaurant (seasonal) or Mariners buffet, located at the adjacent St Lucian by rex resorts, or strolling in to town to experience the local ambience. Children are welcomed at the Royal and can enjoy the childrens club available on weekdays at set times at our neighbouring hotel while everyone can benefit from the wide range of activities accessible locally including water sports, horse riding, golf and exhilarating tours to explore the natural beauty of St Lucia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Royal by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal By Rex Hotel Castries
- Royal By Rex Resorts St. Lucia/Gros Islet
- Royal St Lucian