“A lovely resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A lovely resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We have just left the resort today after spending 6 days there. When we arrived, we were offered welcome drinks, a cold towel and a very friendly check in agent who gave the first impression that the customer service at the hotel was above and beyond expectations. The drive from the airport took two hours and fifteen minutes which was a lot longer and difficult than expected and we were exhausted by the time we arrived. We were then escorted to our room on the third floor. There isn't a lift and I did feel bad for the bell boy having to carry our luggage (we didn't travel light). Our room was beautiful with a lovely view looking onto the pool. The room was clean and well taken care of. I would point out that the room did not have a kettle but the GM of the hotel took care of this and actually went out and got us one which again showed that the hotel will go above and beyond for their guests.

The restaurant at the hotel provided the best meals which I have ever had in any hotel. The staff are so friendly and customer service orientated. The only thing which I would say about the food is that the breakfast food wasn't up to the same standard as the lunch and dinner. They just seemed to fall short on the high levels which the other meals provided. It was also disappointing that they did not have English breakfast tea so we ended up purchasing our own and just asking for boiled water. On the night which they had the BBQ I did feel that the waiter was not happy that I wanted to order food from the main menu ( I am a vegetarian and I did not like the BBQ choices) he was not rude but I could tell he was not happy with me. This was so out of character for the staff because everyone else bent over backwards to make sure you were happy no matter if it was inconvenient. However, the waitress who he sent to take care of me was simply fantastic. She asked the chef what he could do for me and he made me a veggie pasta dish which was so tasty. I sent my compliments to the chef and he came out to talk to me. It was his birthday and he genuinely seemed so pleased that I was happy. That made me feel special and it definitely made up for the waiter who I previously had dealt with.

The staff at the pool bar are so friendly, funny and you can tell that they love what they do. Troy will make sure you are happy and laughing constantly... His Mr lover lover man with banana cocktail is delicious... A must have!

The GM was so present in the hotel making a point to talk to you each day and asking about your stay. He makes sure you are happy and he is so friendly. A very good hotel GM that's for sure!

There is only one downfall to the hotel... The WIFI in the room was not good at all but down in the public areas it worked perfectly. It's free however which is a massive plus for me!!

Two people in my party had a massage by Spencer and they said it was if very good standard and he would come and talk to us daily, taking an interest in how we were which was nice.

Friday night Jump Up is definitely worth avoiding. We decided to go and spent 5 mins there before leaving. It was not pleasant and I would not suggest it.

I would say overall this hotel was AMAZING... :)

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerRoya, General Manager at Royal by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Many thanks for posting your review on your recent holiday at the royal.
It was a pleasure to have met you and your friends during your stay with us and to have been able to assist you.
We are delighted to know that you found the customer service at the hotel was over and beyond expectations. I have noted your comments on the Breakfast and would certainly appreciate any ideas you may have had for its further enhancement. I sincerely apologize for any shortcomings with the Barbeque night these have since been corrected. I am however happy that our chef made up for this and that overall the restaurant provided the best meals you have ever had in a hotel.
We are very proud of our staff and will pass on your kind comments to everyone.
We are also seeing what we can do to boost the WiFi signal strength in the block you were accommodated in..
We sincerely hope that we will have a return visit from the three of you in the not too distant future,

Our best wishes from St Lucia

royal by rex resorts

364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I spent 14 days at this wonderful resort in January 2014. It has a great location overlooking Reduit Beach, close to the amenties of Rodney Bay. My suite was large, with its own sundeck overlooking the beach and the most comprehensive shower I have ever seen! There's a variety of good restaurants close by if you don't want to eat in-house, although the in-house chef is very good - look out for the Chic Supper Club. The staff are exceptionally competent and caring, and all seem dedicated to ensuring that your stay is happy. The hotel is clean, up to date and has all amenities including swimming pool, spa, and gardens. I strongly recommend it.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
GeneralManagerRoya, General Manager at Royal by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Many thanks for posting a review on your recent stay at the Royal.

It was indeed most gratifying to receive your kind comments especially about our exceptional service and friendly staff.

We all look forward to seeing you again and send our Best Wishes,

Richard Michelin

The royal by rex resorts
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We traveled to St. Lucia on January 16th through January 20th. If you aren't into "All Inclusive" resorts, this is a great way to go. We don't like being on someone else's schedule and this fit the bill perfectly. The rooms are very clean and it is evident they have been making several updates, as our last day there, they were replacing an area of wooden floor on the pool deck which was roped off. The pool area had new lounge chairs/cabanas and tables/chairs. Some of the beach tiki huts/cabanas could use a major overhaul, but it does appear they are slowly working on them. The pool bar and restaurant area were immaculately clean and inviting. The bartenders and servers were friendly and professional. The food was decent, but we only ate lunch there one day.The reception and other support staff were also very friendly and accommodating. The grounds were clean as well, and I saw them grooming the landscape daily.

We were greeted with Rum Punch at the front desk upon check in. The rooms were quaint, very clean and have separate areas for living, sleeping and bathing. There is a spacious patio and all the rooms face the sea, as the layout of the resort is U shaped. The rooms have a bungalow feel to them. You step up into the sleeping off the entrance and separated by two single beds pushed together. There were flowers adorned on our bed upon arrival. The bathroom was right off the sleeping area. Complimentary robes are provided. Be prepared for no bathroom door and the door that covers the toilet area doubles as the shower door. You simply slide it over depending on your activity. The shower was amazing. I never wanted to get out. It is equipped with a waterfall shower head, jets protruding from the wall and a third removable shower head. The lighting could have been a bit better, but with everything being so clean, it was easy to overlook. Make sure you bring European adapters for your grooming appliances and phone chargers. There were only a few US electrical outlets in the living area, so I had to flat iron my hair there. A complimentary blow dryer was provided.

Shopping and restaurants were centrally located and within walking distance. A major plus. You can catch a water taxi over to Pigeon Island right off the beach... steps away from the resort.

A couple of major drawbacks is there was no ice machine in any of the three areas. We had to walk over to the restaurant and ask for them to get us ice. Luckily, they weren't busy and were able to promptly get it. We like to make cocktails in our room and this was somewhat of a major inconvenience to keep walking over to ask for ice. They might want to consider putting an ice machine in each area.

Also, the wifi did not work very well in the room. It kept going in and out. During the day, no big deal but at night when we returned to our room, it was somewhat annoying when trying to upload pictures from my camera to my phone or prep online for the next days events. Worked great out on the patio, at the pool, and on the beach.

Be prepared to stave off the locals while lounging on the beach, they do and will solicit often, as this is the way many of the locals make their living. You can't fault them for that. They aren't shy about asking you if you need marijuana either. We were approached at least once a day. You simply politely decline and they move on to the next person.

Overall, it was a good experience and the conveniences (i.e. clean, centrally located, friendly staff) definitely outweighed the inconveniences. We felt relaxed and had a great time during our stay.

Room Tip: 3rd floor corner suites are the best, as you don't have anyone walking above you and only one ot...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerRoya, General Manager at Royal by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Many thanks for posting your recent review on your stay at the Royal.

We are delighted that you felt relaxed, had a great time and that our clean rooms, central location and friendly staff made the difference.

I have noted your comments on the lack of ice making facilities in the public areas. Whilst we no not have machines in these areas we do offer ice from the bars or through room service.

At the time of your stay here we had some exterior challenges with our Wi-Fi
and this has been subsequently sorted out .

All the beaches in St Lucia are public beaches however we are taking the necessary steps to ensure we make every effort in ensuring our guests are kept safe and hassle free by our security guards..

Many thanks for your constructive feedback and we sincerely hope that we will see you back in the not too distant future …

Best wishes,

Royal by rex resorts
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We have just spend 8 nights in this resort. Great location, lovely beach, nice comfortable and clean rooms, very well looked after gardens.
On arrival there was only 1 person doing the checking in, checking out and showing guests to their rooms. He was rushed of his feet and doing his best, but it was not a welcome as we would expected. It was not his fault.
Breakfast was poor and not replenished as often as it should have been. Poor variety, ok if you like eggs and bread.
The hotel staff overall was friendly, but in need of better training and better direction.
We found, that the hotel never felt busy, there was always enough beds on the beach and by the pool.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerRoya, General Manager at Royal by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor on your recent stay with us, we appreciate your valuable feedback.
It is unfortunate that at the time of your arrival there was a large influx of other guests at that precise time, rest assured that we have taken the necessary action to ensure better coverage during these peak periods.
We have not experienced many concerns from our guests regarding our breakfasts in the past and have noted your concerns regarding the replenishment of items.
At the moment our breakfasts consist of Fresh Fruits, Juices,Yogurt with condiments, Muesli, Pastries, Cold meats, Cheeses, Smoked Salmon, Choice of Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Beans, Mushrooms, Grilled Tomatos, Local St Lucian Salt Fish, Bakes, Local Cocoa Tea ,Coffee and choices of teas.
I regret that we were not able to give you the variety you expected but would have been happy to have been given the opportunity to discuss this during your stay with us. It would definitely be of help to us if you can offer us your suggestions as to what we can add to our selection for breakfast so that I can discuss with our team to see how we can improve.
We are happy that you liked our location and beach, our comfortable and clean Suites and well tended gardens and sincerely hope that you might return in the future.
Very best wishes

Royal by rex resorts
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We (Self/wife/Son and Daughter in law our little sweet Achu) stayed in this resort on May 31st and June 1st 2012. We really enjoyed staying in this resort. The dinner at the main restaurant was fantastic and well priced. The beach was clean and perfect:) Another bonus: free Wifi throughout resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Trinidad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

This hotel is my favourite hotel thus far! Spacious rooms, A class quality, great sleep! I was there for business but I really enjoyed returning to my room at night and having a good rest! The view is lovely from the balcony and the breakfast each morning was great!! I will give this hotel a grade A and the hospitality was excellent. The environment is great for couples!! I will definitely recommend this hotel for couples/honeymoons or anniversary!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
stratford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Our multigeneration family (of 11) spent a wonderful week in this resort just before the holidays--we loved the over the top friendly staff, its size and the rooms-
Each suite had a more secluded room with a king size bed and a generous living room where our two kids slept; the bathroom, including a nice bathtub and a state of the art shower with "wall sprays" and rainfall shower was well loved by the whole family.
We could not get over how genuinely nice the entire staff was throughout our stay--it was as if it was their mission to make our trip as enjoyable as possible--s special shout out to Marlyn--the best waitress in the world, Richard the resort manager, Julianna--for catering to all of our esoteric omlette choices, Bejoi, superfriendly pastry chef and countless others--whose names escape me.
The dinners at the main restaurant were fantastic and well priced. The beach was clean and perfect:)
Another bonus: free Wifi throughout resort!
My only constructive criticism is about the gym--The original gym was badly damaged in the last hurricane and the current gym is in dire need of some TLC;
Otherwise I would highly recommend this little gem for the all the above reasons and also because of the proximity (5 min walk) to malls, grocery stores and a tonne of great restaurants.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerRoya, General Manager at Royal by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
It was a great pleasure to have had your family stay with us at the Royal.

Many thanks for your positive comments on the resort and especially the staff.

I have noted your comments on the Gym and this is something that we will certainly take into consideration .

We hope that you will all make The Royal a annual event in future, in our beautiful Island St Lucia.

Been to Royal by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!