This review is strictly related to the dinner offered by the Royal on New Years eve and not the accommodation.
We were in St. Lucia for New Years eve 2012, and as such, were trying to select a place for dinner. Most restaurants offer a prixe fix dinner for around $120 US per person. Some include alcohol, others do not. We wanted something on the beach, and Royal appeared to be a good fit. They were offering a buffet with a combined price of 568 EC dollars for a couple, including a bottle of wine. Once you are seated, you are brought you wine, and no more than 2 minutes later, asked if you want additional cocktails from the bar. You are asked almost every 5 minutes
if you want to purchase additional drinks. Similarly, when you wine glass is 1/3 full, a waiter will come by and fill you glass almost full. Both of these were not appreciated. The food is sub-par, and honestly worthy of about $15 per person at any other time and location. You had your selection of salads, mac and cheese, a carving station, pasta station and stir fry station. The desserts were also lacking, and were mostly left untouched by the guests. At the end, we were charged an additional 50 EC as a tip and 50 EC for VAT. The total was around 700 EC, which is about $270 for a dinner that was only worth about $25.
Do yourself and favor and stay away from the restaurant and most importantly the buffet at the Royal if the price exceeds $15 per person.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Acclaimed as one of the best in St Lucia, the spectacular mile-long Reduit Beach fronts this all-suite hotel while, with a backdrop of rainforest covered hills, atmospheric Rodney Bay is reached within a few moments stroll. Standing in beautifully manicured grounds, the hotel offers an elegant blend of privacy and sophistication. Beneath palm-frond parasols, elegant furnishings allow for lazy days on the sandy beach or relax instead by the large lagoon-style swimming pool shaded by palm trees. The Royal Spa offers an enticing variety of treatments ranging from a reviving jet-lag busting massage to sensual aromatherapy and body care while, for the more energetic, the fully-equipped fitness room is available free to our guests. A delicious full buffet breakfast is included at L'Epicure, an elegant al fresco restaurant next to the beach which also offers tantalising a-la-carte dinner choices. Fine dining experiences can be enjoyed at Chic in the evening while, cooled by gentle sea breezes, the Beach Tent is a perfect venue for lunch. Perhaps enjoy a cocktail at the charming Minstrals Lounge before visiting the elegant Oriental restaurant (seasonal) or Mariners buffet, located at the adjacent St Lucian by rex resorts, or strolling in to town to experience the local ambience. Children are welcomed at the Royal and can enjoy the childrens club available on weekdays at set times at our neighbouring hotel while everyone can benefit from the wide range of activities accessible locally including water sports, horse riding, golf and exhilarating tours to explore the natural beauty of St Lucia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Royal by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal By Rex Hotel Castries
- Royal By Rex Resorts St. Lucia/Gros Islet
- Royal St Lucian