“One of the nicest hotels in St Lucia” 5 of 5 stars

Royal by Rex Resorts
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Reduit Beach, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“One of the nicest hotels in St Lucia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Having visited St Lucia many times before, we decided thsi time to stay in a hotel instead of with family. One of the best decisions we've ever made.

I cannot fault the Royal in St Lucia, The staff were always so helpful in giving advice when needed but would also have a general conversation with you when they weren't too busy. This is a good thing about a hotel in my eyes.

The food provided by th hotel was absolutley devine, I am unable to fault the food or the service.

To all the staff I thank you for making our stay enjoyable. But a special thanks to Troy the barman. For keeping the drinks coming all day every day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Parkesburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This 8 day trip to St Lucia was our 25th wedding anniversary and no doubt the best vacation my wife and I have ever had. We were originally booked in their sister resort and up graded to the Royal due to renovations closing the original resort. We were greeted by Richard the General manager and his staff along with a couple of drinks that were well needed after our one and half our trip from the airport. We used this time to soak in the view of this beautiful island, so please enjoy your transfer trip and view it as mini tour. The resort itself was very warm and inviting with an open air lobby and gorgeous beach front room with a private balcony over looking the ocean. We had an all inclusive package and never had a bad meal. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were always just the right amount and dinner was never the same twice(I recommend the Pumpkin soup). The waiters, waitresses and entire staff were very friendly and always available. The highlight of stay was spending time with the bartenders Kurby and Troy, they were very entertaining and a pleasure to talk to. The beach is breathtaking and very clean, we did not run into any cruise ship guests while we were there, but then again it was off season. The shopping area is within a ten minute walk from the resort and a great way to get out and stretch your legs. It was no problem to get a cab or go anywhere, the front desk is very helpful in this area. My wife and I took a walk on the beach one night after dinner and found a sea turtle making it's way out from the water, the Royals beach guard came down to see what we were looking at and we all watched as the turtle(Juliette) my wife named it, made its way to the top of the beach and laid her eggs. We stay with the guard and waited till she was strong enough to make her way back to the ocean. The guard then roped off the area where the eggs were and stayed guarding them till morning. A true miracle to witness. If were ever lucky enough to make it back to St Lucia, there is no doubt we will choose to stay at this resort again. Richard and his staff made our anniversary truly a dream vacation for us. Thank you again.

Room Tip: The Beach front suits have the most beautiful view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed at the Royal for 2 weeks for our honeymoon, having been upgraded from it's sister hotel as it was closed due to refurbishment. We were not disappointed. On arrival we were greeted by the manager and made to feel very welcome, our room had been nicely decorated with flowers, bubbly and fruit and had an excellent room overlooking the pool and sea, we had a deluxe suite. We were all inclusive and the food and drinks were brilliant. All food was made to order and was to a very high standard. There were also BBQ's twice a week which were very nice. All staff made us feel very welcome and the customer service was excellent. Troy, the barman makes the best cocktails and we enjoyed hearing his stories in his search for true love! As we visited during the quieter season we practically had the hotel to ourselves, there were about 8 - 12 others guests who we saw throughout our stay, along with the Virgin cabin crew and pilots who stayed once a week. The hotel is set in a fantastic location on Reduit beach which has crystal clear waters and plenty of water sports available to keep you busy. The cruise ship guests visited the beach once a week on a Thursday, however we didn't really notice any difference apart from a couple more people on the beach. The hotel is also only a 5 minute walk from the nightlife and shops in Rodney Bay. We used the spa while we were there, however it is quite small. We were very lucky to be upgraded to this hotel, would stay again if we were paying the same price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor with a pool/sea view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerRoya, General Manager at Royal by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on your recent Honeymoon at the Royal.
It was a pleasure meeting you and having both stay with us
I will certainly pass on your best wishes to Troy and the rest of the staff.
We hope that you might return another day for one of your future special anniversaries….
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

It was a nice hotel on nice grounds and the beach was fabulous so I cannot fault that. How ever I expected more from it how it is advertised. I would not call it a five star perhaps a strong 3 border line 4 star. the restaurants where good and served nice food but I expected more for its price tag. dont think I will be going again but if you had a deal to go here I would avise try it out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your comments on your stay last year in July.
We regret that we did not meet your expectations then but in the last 12 months have been making a number of improvements to our accommodations and services and will be upgrading our poolside and dining areas this summer .
We sincerely hope that you might change your mind and come stay with us again
Waukesha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed for a full week, Thursday to Thursday, and had a ocean view room. Here's a few things I'd like to mention about this hotel and it's staff:

The room was excellent. Clean and newly remodeled. It was set up like a sweet with a raised and separate bedroom & bath. Dark wood floors and molding, light drapes and bedding. Beautiful! The bath had new fixtures and both a large bathtub and a shower that had a full overhead soaking "rain" shower head. The private balcony was big and had a nice view of the ocean. We had a top floor room (of three stories) and the best view. No way to see the ocean from the ground floor so get a top floor room. Not sure how you can do it but make sure you stay in one of these newer rooms if you book here. They seem to be in the process of slowly remodeling all the rooms.

The rest of the hotel was clean and fresh looking. The reception area was very open and cool and they meet us with a cool drink of our choice and helped with the luggage. The grounds were well taken care of but the guy that cut the grass did it with a Weed Eater! It took him 6 hours (and didn't even finish) of walking around swinging the eater back and forth. I had to leave the resort as I couldn't take the noise any more. He returned a few days later and finished the job for a few more hours. There was also a guy with a power washer spraying off the side walks. The two of them together made it hard to enjoy and relax. These were good days to go explore the area. A note on exploring off resort; Renting a car and driving on this island is not for the faint of heart. I have driven all over the world so I wanted the freedom of making my own schedule at my pace. I rented a car and it scared my wife. The locals are very aggressive and bad drivers. They commonly speed and pass in dangerous areas. Also people and anamals on foot will just walk out in front of you and not even stop or look. It's very hard to find you way across the island as there are few street signs and roads are bad and winding. Driving through the city's are confusing and expect to get lost. Traffic is bumper to bumper and craws in the afternoons all over the north part of the island when locals are getting off work. Taxi's and buses are all over the place and not hard to catch. This may be the best option for most but expensive. Use local currency to pay locals. They will take US currency but it's a hassle.

The Pool was large and clean. Not your usual round pool. It was sprawling and looped around hear and there. One end was dedicated to a very nice pool bar that where you could either sit in the water and drink or enter from dry land and sit under the roof bar side or at small comfortable tables. There was almost always a bartender on duty. However the music was seldom on and I had to ask for it.

The beach was very clean and well kept. There are about 15 or 20 nice straw covered cabanas scattered along the beach that has two comfortable lounge chairs. Large enough around and low enough to give shade most of the day and also a good view of the ocean. This is where I spent most of my days. A few steps and your in the ocean to cool off in the clean, warm and very blue water. The bottom is hard and free of rocks. I did however find a few larger places of glass in the sand that would have left a nasty cut. These had washed up out of the ocean. The beachside restaurant, inside restaurant with a bar and the pool bar is just a few steps away. I wish they had better beach service. All week each time I wanted a drink or some food I had to walk into the bar to order. They then would bring it out to me.

The service was for the most part very good but a little spotty. We had the resort to ourselves. For most of the week there was only two other couples! So most of the staff was standing or walking around with little to do. The full staff was on duty and on site. Under these conditions you would think they would be ready to help and serve. Mostly I had to walk around to find them and ask for help or service. Employee smiles were few and I had to almost pull a friendly conversation out of most of them. One evening I actually walked out of the inside restaurant. I had waited over a half hour after I finished my appetizer and drink and the waitress never returned to take my main order. I could understand if it were busy but we were the only people in the place! There was one walk in order that I saw the waitress take but she completely forgot about us. The management team seemed to have to work to fill in the spaces the regular staff was lacking in. They were very friendly and eager to help and smooth out any problems.

All in all it was a wonderful and pleasant stay. If returning, I would stay at the Royal Rex again and tell my friends to also with the above tips.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had a great time staying in a suite, it was so romantic the way they designed the room! I fell in love with it for one week!
People who work there were very friendly and polite.
Breakfast is delicious!
Beach is right there with nice sunbeds and you can get massages right there id you want!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerRoya, General Manager at Royal by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on your stay with us.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Royal and we look forward to having you back in the near future.
Brough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We moved to this hotel after not liking our first choice of accommodation. The staff were great at showing us round and showing us a sample room, and we quickly decided to move here. The location is great, in the middle of Rodney Bay so easy walking distance to some great restaurants nearby. Our room was nice, looked recently renovated with a nice modern bathroom etc. The outdoor pool area was great at first glance, but as you look closely, the loungers and parasols really do need replacing. And this was the case with a lot of areas; the breakfast restaurant for example was very outdated and tired, and the breakfast itself was very average. I think the hotel owners really do need to spend some money on this hotel before it gets any worse, you can see that it was probably the best on the island at some point, but I think that was back in the nineties and it really shows. It could be great again with some serious refurbishments of the main areas. The staff and location make up for this fact, but it also seemed like the place was running on a skeleton staff. And the spa needs knocking down and rebuilding, it really is that old fashioned and outdated. Apart from the Virgin flight crew, it often seemed as though we were the only couple staying at the place and many days I had the pool entirely to myself! The Royal is on Reduit Beach and has its own grass parasols on the beach which is very nice. As I said, breakfast was very average and was slow coming considering we were the only guests there most mornings, but that didn't really bother us as we were in no rush, we were just surprised. We didn't try the restaurant in the evening as we would have been the only ones there. I seem to be listing the negatives mainly, but it is such a shame that this hotel is wasting its potential by not upgrading and refurbishing the common areas, it should be full of guests, like some other hotels on the island. And it is in such a great location that it could be fantastic, that's what's disappointing. So good points, staff, the room itself, location and beach. Bad points, tired, old fashioned, shabby. The owners were visiting when we were there and I really wished I could have spoken to them from a guests point of view, and point out some obvious things which were off putting for a guest.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay with us.

It was a pleasure meeting you both and I was delighted that you chose to move to The Royal. I am happy that you found the location good, and that you enjoyed our recently renovated suites in particular the bathroom and that you found our staff were great.

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feed back with regards to the poolside area. We regret that you felt the current furniture at the pool may not be “State of the Art” but it is with pleasure that I am happy to report that arrangements are being made to refurbish the poolside and dining areas. We are awaiting delivery and everything should be completed by the end of August.

With regards to our breakfast service as you will appreciate at this time we were operating an a la carte breakfast cooked fresh to order .We will however revisit how best we can expedite our service levels and apologize for any delay you may have encountered

We thank you again for your valuable feedback and would like to assure you that we are committed to continuously improving our guests experience to either meet or surpass expectations.

Been to Royal by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!