“Great 4* Hotel in perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

Royal by Rex Resorts
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Reduit Beach, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #5 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great 4* Hotel in perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this resort between 2 - 9 November 2012. I was informed by the locals that the weather in St Lucia is great all year round. October and November are regarded as the rainy season in November, however you wouldn't think it.

I was very impressed with the Royal by Rex and if you are thinking of not going all inclusive then this Resort is the one for you. Firstly, the location of the hotel is perfect, it is situated right in the heart of the Rodney Bay strip. You are a 5 minute walking distance from all the top restaurants, Spice of India, Le Terasse, Wingz n Tingz, Chef Xavier, Delirius, etc. You are also a 5 minute walking distance from the Lucian Centre (where you can book excursions) and also many bars/clubs. The hotel is also approximately a 5 minute drive to the Marina and also about 10 mins drive to the Jump Up street party in Gros Islet. One thing i would advise is that the cabs in St Lucia are not cheap so please be prepared.

The staff at the Royal by Rex are such lovely people and everyone always stops to greet you (not always with a smile though). If you ever need something the staff are willing to help, however remember this is the Caribbean and therefore service is not always speedy. The breakfast is very pleasant in the morning and the staff are attentative. The reception staff are very friendly and helpful and special shout out has to go out to Marie Anne and Lestroy, who were very lovely individuals indeed. Another special shout out has to go out to Troy who was always full of humour and had a smile.

The hotel is along Reduit Beach (which is the only white sand beach in St Lucia) and is regonised as the best beach in St Lucia. One thing i will mention is that the beach is not private and therefore you do get a lot of individuals approaching you however a polite "i'm not interested" usually does the trick.

The reason why this hotel is only a 4 star from me is because i agree that the decor needs some slight improvement to make it a 5 star hotel. There were also a few issues with the TV not working, however we were in St Lucia, and therefore the TV not working was not an issue to us. The bathroom was fantastic with an amazing exotic shower. The pool was great and the spa was awesome and we certainly enjoyed our treatment.

I genuinely believe that this hotel deserves to be higher in the list than it actually is. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone out there and i would certainly return. Many thanks to all the staff at Royal for making our holiday a memorable one!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerRoya, General Manager at Royal by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your review on the Royal St Lucian.
We are happy to hear that you were very impressed with our location and our staff.
Being located on the beautiful Reduit Beach is indeed a plus.
We are constantly striving to make things better for our guests, and our newly renovated suites are the first step towards this.
I will certainly pass on your thanks to all the staff.
Looking forward to your return visit.

354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were return guests to the Rex this October but this time took our daughter and grand-daughter with us. The resort had been closed for a month and had just opened a week before we arrived. We have never felt so welcome - Chrystel on reception checked us in after a long journey from Edinburgh and even carried my hand luggage to make sure that the rooms allocated were suitable. We had a day of very heavy rain and unfortunately water came in through the roof in the early hours of the morning - no problem for Ronald our night porter who moved us in an instant and even checked on us at breakfast (try that in the UK!!). By the afternoon a bottle of champagne was waiting "as we shouldn't have to be disturbed like that" said Greta in housekeeping. Everyone bent over backwards to look after the family. the service all round was second to none with the Manager taking on board any tips to improve his resort but with staff who could remember you from three years ago what more could you ask for except more of the same. We will certainly be back and so will our daughter and grand-daughter. Thanks to all who make our fortnight fabby. See you soon.

Room Tip: We had booked a garden room but they placed us in poolside rooms so that we could have the best view...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I attended the Royal in October for the same conference as 'Cheapbutdemanding', whose review is below. His account is comprehensive enough for the two of us, so I will just add a couple of points and some photos!

Aside from the excellent location on Rodney Bay beach the two areas in which the hotel excelled were the service and the quality of the rooms. We were relatively difficult guests to deal with, as we moved from the Royal to the Rex and back again during the course of our stay. The reception staff and bell boys made this a hassle free experience, ensuring the the movement of luggage and the transfer of the bill were done with the minimum fuss. The facilities provided for the conference were also excellent, with a regular supply of drinks and snacks.

The standard of the suite provided was superb, with sumptuous bed and great bathroom/wet room and comfortable living area. The room had a decent sized balcony with sun lounger and views across the pool to the beach.

The previous review has mentioned the quality of the breakfast - I tended to opt for the continental breakfast , which was OK but not spectacular. At least this meant that I cut a slightly slimmer figure on the beach than cheapbutdemanding!

Overall I had a really good experience with the hotel, whch would have been enhanced had the pool and swim-up bar been open. Having experienced the two, the standard of accomodation at the Royal was way better than the Rex next door - though I wasn't paying the bill..........

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
West Sussex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Rodney Bay is an odd place out of season – the weather is warm, albeit a little muggy and rainy. The restaurants and bars are all open but there is hardly anybody about. The street that curves out round from the shopping mall out onto the spit of land on the seaward side of the marina, and home to any number of bars, clubs and restaurants – heaving with life for most of the year - is like a ghost town.

I wasn’t meant to be at the Royal. I was in St Lucia at a conference being hosted at the Royal, but my accommodation was supposed to be at the significantly cheaper Rex St Lucian next door. Having just completed the rather grim economy-class flight from Gatwick into Hewanorra and then having survived the exciting journey up through the mountains that run up the spine of the island to Rodney Bay, my colleagues and I were rather dispirited when our taxi arrived at the barrier of the St Lucian only to be informed that the hotel was closed until the next day and that we were to present ourselves at the next hotel along. As it turned out this was the Royal, and upon checking in, having been advised that we would spend the night there before transferring to the St Lucian the next day, I was slightly buoyed to be handed the key to a suite.
It’s only fair to the Royal that I be honest right from the start – It IS a NICE hotel, but it is also a thirty year old concrete structure which, based on the floor-plan, was designed by a Dungeons & Dragons enthusiast. There is no logic in how one finds one’s way though the various corridors back to reception, or the restaurants, or any other bit of the hotel for that matter. There are certainly no lifts (elevators if you prefer) which wasn’t a problem for an overweight, but still energetic, forty-something such as myself, but might have been a more chronic problem for older patrons (and certainly was for the bell-hops, which did cause a big case of guilt-tipping on my part).

The suite really was very good – it was spacious and tastefully furnished throughout (as against comfortably furnished, which is a very different thing indeed). The lounge had a pair of big sofas, all modern lines and hard cushions with sharp edges, and a simply huge flat-screen TV (closer scrutiny indicated that there were only a limited number of channels available and the signal wasn’t that great on many of them, but it did make the place look fabulous). The bedroom was festooned with Bougainvillea blooms, coating practically every horizontal surface, which, in turn, led through to a large, recently refurbished bathroom complete with a full-sized bath and his-and-hers sinks (I have already written in this forum about my prejudices regarding twin sinks, but I make no apologies for repeating here that I’m not a fan – I love Mrs Cheapbutdemanding more than life itself, but frankly I really don’t feel the need to share every single moment of my existence with her; gargling, flossing and any other number of ablutionary activities are something that I don’t need to witness to feel at one with my darling wife. Having heard the noises I make in the bathroom Mrs C has indicated that she is of a similar mind...). My favourite bit though was the wet room, complete with a huge rain-shower-type fitting suspended from the ceiling and directional nozzles coming out of the walls.

We were at the Royal on a bed & breakfast basis, so having paid a brief visit to the very good beach for a quick dip in the Caribbean, my colleagues and I dined at the bar restaurant next door, Spinnakers’, before jet lag claimed us and we headed for bed.

I was awake at dawn and it seemed silly not to go for another swim before breakfast. Whilst I was at the Royal the swim-up bar was being renovated meaning that the swimming pool was largely out of use, so I made further use of the ocean to take care of my early morning constitutional.

The dining room was deserted when I arrived for my breakfast, amplifying what a bright and airy place it is. I was able to take a table with a glorious view out on the yachts moored in Rodney Bay, bobbing ever so gently in front of Pigeon Island, and was presented with the breakfast menu by the cheerfully motherly waitress. I always bang on about the importance of breakfast as a measure of how good a hotel actually is, and this review is going to be no different – I’m not a huge fan of the “warm” (rarely an accurate term) buffet with its over-cooked eggs and dubious baked-beans, as it rarely provides anything other than a surplus of calories and a lingering sense of self-loathing. Given the choice I’ll always prefer a breakfast cooked to order and the fact that I was the only patron at that time meant that I could be sure my breakfast was as fresh as could be, so I thought that it would be negligent of me not to try the “full-hearty” breakfast on your behalf. I was advised that “beans was off” (although not in the South London cafe accent with which I am more accustomed) so I contented myself with the bacon, eggs, tomato and sausage that made up the rest of the meal. Frankly, one thing that St Lucian cuisine has yet to perfect is the ideal breakfast sausage, but the rest of it was fine and Chef had decided that a hotel of this stature needs a signature flourish on every plate, which explained the un-breakfast-like garnish of sliced red onions and parsley that adorned my plate.

As I’ll explain in a moment I had subsequent excuse to return to the Royal and found that if you just want a plate of bacon and eggs without all the extra faffing about, that is fine too. Although the red onion is compulsory (okay, I made that bit up, but every other bit of this review is accurate). There is a continental selection as well, modestly stocked when I was there simply to prevent waste I’d hope. Try the tamarind juice. It isn’t actually juice, rather it is tamarind pulp steeped in water, but it is quite refreshing. Seriously, try it.

I had subsequent cause to return to this part of the hotel for a drinks reception and conference lunches as well as a dinner. I can report that the Chic Restaurant (as it is styled) boasts a very good kitchen. The hot buffets were tasty, imaginative and looked appetising. I don’t know how this compares to the experience of “normal” guests, but I think it is a good indicator.

The conference (for the duration of which I was banished to the St Lucian – I am writing a review of that as well, so stand by...) went well and I was lucky enough to transfer back to the Royal for the last few days of my stay.

Upon my return I was assigned to a slightly less salubrious room that I had originally. It was spotlessly clean but seriously in need of refurbishment, especially as far as the yellowing bathroom fixtures were concerned. No wet room this time around, although the shower cubicle still had the directional nozzles that must be really interesting when blasting against tender, sun-burned tummy...

I now had a day off before flying home, so obviously the weather decided to say goodbye to the rainy season with a good, long, hard downpour. My colleague and I were planning on learning how to sail a hobby cat, but the near-zero visibility caused by the rain made this the less sensible option when compared to taking a nap on my flower-covered bed...

As I hinted at the start of this piece, location-wise, the Royal is close to plenty of bars and restaurants, but it does have the advantage of being at the far-end, so noise from fun-seekers going to and from the town centre will be minimal.

The Royal isn’t perfect – some of the paintwork in external areas was showing a great deal of wear and tear following the rainy season, and the work going on to renovate the pool bar was quite noisy and disruptive, but I’m sure that this is something that, by the time you get there, will have been well and truly sorted out.

I did really like this hotel, and if I’d being staying there using my own money, I’d still have been very happy.

Thank you for your attention. That is all. Carry on!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Castries
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

After not having a membership with The Royal a friend informed me of the changes that were been made, so i went to look for myself with a clouded judgement, what a surprise i got, the spa is so relaxing, candle light and flowers down the corridor to the wet rooms, iced cucumber and towels for your face and eyes, and everything works, fantastic, the new manager has worked her charm and is bringing new and exciting treatments, all i can say is....were do i sign to rejoin after so long away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at the Royal St Lucia in Feb 2011. My husband had been there before and insisted on going back, particularly because of the staff. The hotel room was great, lovely touches such as flowers on the bed, beach towels changed regularly even midday if you used them in the morning. Unfortunately when we were there the weather was acting up and most of hte beach was washed away! By the time we left the beach was at least half of what it was when we arrived!

Room Tip: First floor gets a good view of the beach and away from the hum of machinery which we noticed when w...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Had a great time here. The hotel is well located, it is right on the beach but also only a few minutes walk to some great resturants and bars so you have plenty of options in the evenings. All the staff were really nice and friendly. We only ate at the hotel in the evening once at a beach barbecue which was very nice, although a little pricey. The beach can get busy on Thursday's when the cruise ships come in but at this time of year on the other days it's nice and quite. The water sports at the hotel were good also, Alvin was a great windsurfing teacher. If you want some food when your in the beach then i would also recommend Elizabeths chicken roti's- very nice. The only negative was whilst the room was large and recently updated not all them have doors for the toilet- its kind of nice to have some privacy.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!