“Short but Sweet” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Gros Islet
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Short but Sweet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I attended the Royal in October for the same conference as 'Cheapbutdemanding', whose review is below. His account is comprehensive enough for the two of us, so I will just add a couple of points and some photos!

Aside from the excellent location on Rodney Bay beach the two areas in which the hotel excelled were the service and the quality of the rooms. We were relatively difficult guests to deal with, as we moved from the Royal to the Rex and back again during the course of our stay. The reception staff and bell boys made this a hassle free experience, ensuring the the movement of luggage and the transfer of the bill were done with the minimum fuss. The facilities provided for the conference were also excellent, with a regular supply of drinks and snacks.

The standard of the suite provided was superb, with sumptuous bed and great bathroom/wet room and comfortable living area. The room had a decent sized balcony with sun lounger and views across the pool to the beach.

The previous review has mentioned the quality of the breakfast - I tended to opt for the continental breakfast , which was OK but not spectacular. At least this meant that I cut a slightly slimmer figure on the beach than cheapbutdemanding!

Overall I had a really good experience with the hotel, whch would have been enhanced had the pool and swim-up bar been open. Having experienced the two, the standard of accomodation at the Royal was way better than the Rex next door - though I wasn't paying the bill..........

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
West Sussex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Rodney Bay is an odd place out of season – the weather is warm, albeit a little muggy and rainy. The restaurants and bars are all open but there is hardly anybody about. The street that curves out round from the shopping mall out onto the spit of land on the seaward side of the marina, and home to any number of bars, clubs and restaurants – heaving with life for most of the year - is like a ghost town.

I wasn’t meant to be at the Royal. I was in St Lucia at a conference being hosted at the Royal, but my accommodation was supposed to be at the significantly cheaper Rex St Lucian next door. Having just completed the rather grim economy-class flight from Gatwick into Hewanorra and then having survived the exciting journey up through the mountains that run up the spine of the island to Rodney Bay, my colleagues and I were rather dispirited when our taxi arrived at the barrier of the St Lucian only to be informed that the hotel was closed until the next day and that we were to present ourselves at the next hotel along. As it turned out this was the Royal, and upon checking in, having been advised that we would spend the night there before transferring to the St Lucian the next day, I was slightly buoyed to be handed the key to a suite.
It’s only fair to the Royal that I be honest right from the start – It IS a NICE hotel, but it is also a thirty year old concrete structure which, based on the floor-plan, was designed by a Dungeons & Dragons enthusiast. There is no logic in how one finds one’s way though the various corridors back to reception, or the restaurants, or any other bit of the hotel for that matter. There are certainly no lifts (elevators if you prefer) which wasn’t a problem for an overweight, but still energetic, forty-something such as myself, but might have been a more chronic problem for older patrons (and certainly was for the bell-hops, which did cause a big case of guilt-tipping on my part).

The suite really was very good – it was spacious and tastefully furnished throughout (as against comfortably furnished, which is a very different thing indeed). The lounge had a pair of big sofas, all modern lines and hard cushions with sharp edges, and a simply huge flat-screen TV (closer scrutiny indicated that there were only a limited number of channels available and the signal wasn’t that great on many of them, but it did make the place look fabulous). The bedroom was festooned with Bougainvillea blooms, coating practically every horizontal surface, which, in turn, led through to a large, recently refurbished bathroom complete with a full-sized bath and his-and-hers sinks (I have already written in this forum about my prejudices regarding twin sinks, but I make no apologies for repeating here that I’m not a fan – I love Mrs Cheapbutdemanding more than life itself, but frankly I really don’t feel the need to share every single moment of my existence with her; gargling, flossing and any other number of ablutionary activities are something that I don’t need to witness to feel at one with my darling wife. Having heard the noises I make in the bathroom Mrs C has indicated that she is of a similar mind...). My favourite bit though was the wet room, complete with a huge rain-shower-type fitting suspended from the ceiling and directional nozzles coming out of the walls.

We were at the Royal on a bed & breakfast basis, so having paid a brief visit to the very good beach for a quick dip in the Caribbean, my colleagues and I dined at the bar restaurant next door, Spinnakers’, before jet lag claimed us and we headed for bed.

I was awake at dawn and it seemed silly not to go for another swim before breakfast. Whilst I was at the Royal the swim-up bar was being renovated meaning that the swimming pool was largely out of use, so I made further use of the ocean to take care of my early morning constitutional.

The dining room was deserted when I arrived for my breakfast, amplifying what a bright and airy place it is. I was able to take a table with a glorious view out on the yachts moored in Rodney Bay, bobbing ever so gently in front of Pigeon Island, and was presented with the breakfast menu by the cheerfully motherly waitress. I always bang on about the importance of breakfast as a measure of how good a hotel actually is, and this review is going to be no different – I’m not a huge fan of the “warm” (rarely an accurate term) buffet with its over-cooked eggs and dubious baked-beans, as it rarely provides anything other than a surplus of calories and a lingering sense of self-loathing. Given the choice I’ll always prefer a breakfast cooked to order and the fact that I was the only patron at that time meant that I could be sure my breakfast was as fresh as could be, so I thought that it would be negligent of me not to try the “full-hearty” breakfast on your behalf. I was advised that “beans was off” (although not in the South London cafe accent with which I am more accustomed) so I contented myself with the bacon, eggs, tomato and sausage that made up the rest of the meal. Frankly, one thing that St Lucian cuisine has yet to perfect is the ideal breakfast sausage, but the rest of it was fine and Chef had decided that a hotel of this stature needs a signature flourish on every plate, which explained the un-breakfast-like garnish of sliced red onions and parsley that adorned my plate.

As I’ll explain in a moment I had subsequent excuse to return to the Royal and found that if you just want a plate of bacon and eggs without all the extra faffing about, that is fine too. Although the red onion is compulsory (okay, I made that bit up, but every other bit of this review is accurate). There is a continental selection as well, modestly stocked when I was there simply to prevent waste I’d hope. Try the tamarind juice. It isn’t actually juice, rather it is tamarind pulp steeped in water, but it is quite refreshing. Seriously, try it.

I had subsequent cause to return to this part of the hotel for a drinks reception and conference lunches as well as a dinner. I can report that the Chic Restaurant (as it is styled) boasts a very good kitchen. The hot buffets were tasty, imaginative and looked appetising. I don’t know how this compares to the experience of “normal” guests, but I think it is a good indicator.

The conference (for the duration of which I was banished to the St Lucian – I am writing a review of that as well, so stand by...) went well and I was lucky enough to transfer back to the Royal for the last few days of my stay.

Upon my return I was assigned to a slightly less salubrious room that I had originally. It was spotlessly clean but seriously in need of refurbishment, especially as far as the yellowing bathroom fixtures were concerned. No wet room this time around, although the shower cubicle still had the directional nozzles that must be really interesting when blasting against tender, sun-burned tummy...

I now had a day off before flying home, so obviously the weather decided to say goodbye to the rainy season with a good, long, hard downpour. My colleague and I were planning on learning how to sail a hobby cat, but the near-zero visibility caused by the rain made this the less sensible option when compared to taking a nap on my flower-covered bed...

As I hinted at the start of this piece, location-wise, the Royal is close to plenty of bars and restaurants, but it does have the advantage of being at the far-end, so noise from fun-seekers going to and from the town centre will be minimal.

The Royal isn’t perfect – some of the paintwork in external areas was showing a great deal of wear and tear following the rainy season, and the work going on to renovate the pool bar was quite noisy and disruptive, but I’m sure that this is something that, by the time you get there, will have been well and truly sorted out.

I did really like this hotel, and if I’d being staying there using my own money, I’d still have been very happy.

Thank you for your attention. That is all. Carry on!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Castries
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

After not having a membership with The Royal a friend informed me of the changes that were been made, so i went to look for myself with a clouded judgement, what a surprise i got, the spa is so relaxing, candle light and flowers down the corridor to the wet rooms, iced cucumber and towels for your face and eyes, and everything works, fantastic, the new manager has worked her charm and is bringing new and exciting treatments, all i can say is....were do i sign to rejoin after so long away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at the Royal St Lucia in Feb 2011. My husband had been there before and insisted on going back, particularly because of the staff. The hotel room was great, lovely touches such as flowers on the bed, beach towels changed regularly even midday if you used them in the morning. Unfortunately when we were there the weather was acting up and most of hte beach was washed away! By the time we left the beach was at least half of what it was when we arrived!

Room Tip: First floor gets a good view of the beach and away from the hum of machinery which we noticed when w...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Had a great time here. The hotel is well located, it is right on the beach but also only a few minutes walk to some great resturants and bars so you have plenty of options in the evenings. All the staff were really nice and friendly. We only ate at the hotel in the evening once at a beach barbecue which was very nice, although a little pricey. The beach can get busy on Thursday's when the cruise ships come in but at this time of year on the other days it's nice and quite. The water sports at the hotel were good also, Alvin was a great windsurfing teacher. If you want some food when your in the beach then i would also recommend Elizabeths chicken roti's- very nice. The only negative was whilst the room was large and recently updated not all them have doors for the toilet- its kind of nice to have some privacy.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Trinidad, Caribbean
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Nice quite hotel, on the beach. Great views, sunsets. Friendly staff. Awesome room welcome with local flowers and designs on the sheets.
Good food, and right opposite we have a couple great restaurants.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have been to St Lucia 11 times, but this was my first visit to the Royal. All I can say is wow! The suites are amazing and spacious, very contemporary with a large walk in shower, lovely lounge with sofas and flat screen TV, and the petals on the bed were a nice touch! The staff are so friendly and helpful, and as a result I will be recommending this hotel to everyone I know. Reduit Beach is great with lovely views of Pigeon Island, and just down the road is the Baywalk Shopping Mall, Casino, restaurants, and bars (I recommend Delirious). Best hotel location on the island in my opinion. We were on the island for three weeks, and stayed at the Royal for only two days, but I wish we had stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerRoya, General Manager at Royal by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you very much for your excellent review on Trip Adviser.
I am delighted that you found the Royal Staff and our location wonderful and that you enjoyed staying in one of our newly renovated Royal Suites and the experience of our new large walk in showers…
We look forward to your return visit and now that you know us,... a longer visit.

Been to Royal by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!