“Beautiful Beachfront Retreat To Rest” 5 of 5 stars

Bay Guesthouse
Bay Street, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #1 of 18 Gros Islet B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Beachfront Retreat To Rest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was looking for a place to relax and wind-down after experiencing a stressful time in London and the Bay Guesthouse fulfilled that need and more. It's right on the beach so you wake up looking out over the calm sea, putting you in a good mood from the moment you open your eyes. It's also a short distance from Pigeon Island National Park, which is one of the most tranquil places on the island. You have to pay $13.5 ECD to enter the park, but this means there are security guards preventing the people that sell tourists tatty jewellery (at Reduit beach).
Will and Stephanie, who own the Bay Guesthouse, are so knowledgeable about the area and told me where to get the best food (the Friday night jump-up just outside the hotel and the Saturday night Fish Fry are highly recommended). They told me where to watch live jazz (at the Jambe De Bois restaurant on Pigeon Island), country and western music (sunday nights in Gros Islet) and what activities can be done on St Lucia (snorkelling spots, catamaran tours and scuba diving)
I did two days of diving with Scuba Steve's dive centre, which is a 10 minute walk or 2 minute drive away from the Guesthouse and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.
If you want to escape city life and find some tranquility to think then you must visit the Bay Guesthouse. A few nights there will change your perspective on life and help you to re-assess what's important to you.

Room Tip: The Ocean Front Studio has the best view over the sea. It's worth the extra $10/night
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
guyana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Little gem on the sea front near to Pidgeon Island National Park. Views, gardens, loungers and tables, mini-library.

Owners Will and Stephanie very friendly and helpful. Security guard at night. Gros Islet rustic and home to local people so good for interacting with St Lucians.

Stayed in cheap room next to office. Very clean and had fridge, kettle, basic crockery/cutlery. Was fine, but beach front garden rooms with kitchenette looked lovely - book one of those if you can.

Recommended - probably best to book in advance.

Room Tip: beachside rooms with kitchenette looked nice. Book early via website to snare one of these.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We spent 8 nights here. We walked almost every day to our diving centre (10 minutes) and loved being right beside the beach. Will and Stephanie were nice and helped with good advice. The room was clean and comfortable. The view from the terasse is amazing. We enjoyed having our breakfasts there and sipping a beer while watching the sun set. We also spent some time on a slack-line that we installed between the two coconut trees right in front of our studio (almost as much as we enjoyed eating fresh coconuts).

If you are very sensitive to noise, you may want to consider staying somewhere else. We slept with earplugs every night. The neighbourhood is particularly lively on Fridays and Sundays and cats and dogs can get chatty at night. We didn't care: we wanted to be in the village of Gros-Islet, as it is less touristic than Rodney Bay and Castries.

If you go there, try to spend the a Friday night and a Sunday night. The grilled fish party in front of the guesthouse on Sundays is the greatest fish BBQ I've ever seen.

Room Tip: We loved our studio : shared terrasse, refrigerator and cooking plate. If you want more privacy, you...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Rosetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We, 2 couples, 2 rooms, spent 4 nights here. The view is gorgeous....the sailboats and other boats anchor right out in the bay here. Fun watching the activity in the bay ! The Guesthouse is very basic, but was all we needed....the rooms are clean, there is a hot plate in each suiite, and a full size fridge. We had no issues with hot water, and there are fans to cool you in the night as there is no air conditioning. We should have used the mosquito netting, as we found that we did have mosquitoes come in the room....it is there, we just should have used it :) Stephanie gave us beach towels to use, so you don't need to pack one for there.

From the Guesthouse, we went to the beach right beside there....just a short walk on either side. The beach is very nice, doesn't drop off real fast, lots of locals there on Sat. and Sun.
We also went to Pigeon Island from there ....climbed the hills, rented the beach chairs, snorkeled and swam. Beach chairs in the Park are only $2US or $5EC....lots of places to get some shade if you want to. We also went to Rodney Bay and Reduit Beach for a day, dinner there twice....one night at Delirious, the next at Whiskey in the Jar. We also ate at the fish fry on the Sat. night in Gros Islet...it was excellent !

Stephanie and Will were very easy to contact, friendly, and a wealth of knowledge. They have their 2 dogs on the property during the day, and a watchman at night, but we never felt
unsafe at any time. The roosters across the street do crow in the morning, and there are quite a few stray dogs running around in town, but such is life in St. Lucia :)

The Bay Guesthouse is not for those that only like a 4* or 5* accommodation....you get what you pay for, and this is very good value for the money ! I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Brno, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

The Bay Guesthouse is so inexpensive, I was half-expecting something to be wrong with it, but it exceeded my expectations in all ways! The room was relaxing, the views were beautiful, and it was conveniently located for everything I wanted to do in the northern part of the island. I was there seven nights and hated to leave.

I stayed in an oceanfront studio. Because the room was close to the water, I was able to hear the waves washing onto the shore every night -- very nice! I saw only a few mosquitoes, despite the lack of screens, and none bit me. Even so, I slept under the mosquito netting, and was glad I brought a few clothes pins to help hold it in place. My room also had a ceiling fan and two standing fans. Most nights, the temperature was breezy and fine.

My room's kitchenette had a gas range, a fridge, a cutting board, plates and cutlery, and a few other basics. One thing I did not have was a coffee pot, but I found I could MacGyver it using a few items on hand (a tea kettle, a coffee carafe, and a plastic filter holder -- sadly, I didn't find the last thing until the end of my stay; make sure to ask if you don't see it). I did not have a table in my room, but there are tables on the communal patio, which is also a good place to meet other travelers. Also on the patio, there is a bookcase full of beach reading (in a few different languages), plus a table stocked with local maps and other St. Lucia resources.

The guesthouse's location in Gros Islet village was, to me, more interesting than Rodney Bay. Gros Islet feels like an authentic St. Lucia community. However, if you do want to check out Rodney Bay, the guesthouse is a short walk from the bus stop, which offers frequent service between Gros Islet, Rodney Bay, and Castries (and possibly other places, though the furthest I bused it was to the start of the Barre de L'isle trail).

The guesthouse owners, Will and Stephanie, were a pleasure to deal with from the first e-mail inquiry I sent until the day I left. They are really nice people who know a lot about the island and can help you figure out how to do things practically and cheaply. During my stay, one of them was almost always on hand to answer any questions I had about the area.

As a sidenote, if you stay there, I recommend stopping by the bakery on St. George Street (pretty sure that's the right street -- it's a side street near the bus stop). There was no sign on the building, and when I asked them what the name of it was they just shrugged. But you will know it because it's a white building with a window through which the proprietress (I think her name was Gertrude) will hand you your purchases. I often got the cocoa tea and a float (fried bread). Enjoy!

Room Tip: I liked staying on the Caribbean side.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Will and Stephanie are incredibly nice people, excellent hosts, and their guesthouse is by far the best value on the island (maybe anywhere I've stayed, for that matter). The rooms are clean, cozy, and stay cool in the heat of the day; the backyard looks right out on the bay, with great snorkeling and a nice beach twenty yards away; and Pigeon Island is an easy 20 minute walk. Also just a few yards from some excellent grilled fish, and the famous jump-up.

Though I enjoyed the more remote southern part of the island infinitely more than the overcrowded Castries and the outlying towns, the guesthouse made me feel like I was still away from the cruise ships, and living with the locals - HIGHLY recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Somersworth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I really enjoyed staying here. The owners are very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about the surroundings. Very safe and friendly neighborhood. The room does not have AC but the ocean breeze is great and they clean your room daily. They have great prices. we paid $55 USD a night. From here you can catch buses to anywhere.Beautiful Rodney Bay is just 5 min away. I really enjoyed staying here and would do so again.

Room Tip: The seaside rooms ave a better breeze.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Bay Guesthouse? Share your experiences!