“Honeymoon of our dreams” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Calabash Cove Resort and Spa

You added Calabash Cove Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Calabash Cove Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   Marisule | Bonaire Bay, Gros Islet, St. Lucia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Honeymoon of our dreams”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

When looking for our honeymoon destination we wanted peace and quiet, something very different from our normal everyday lives. After explaining to our travel agent I did not want to search for a pool or beach chair she explained that a Sandals or larger hotel is not for us and provided us with info on Calabash Cove. It appeared to be everything we wanted. A 26 room resort, with the all-inclusive option (which we did). We arrived and were quickly escorted to our transfer van. It took approximately an hour and a half to get to from the airport with a very scenic view because of the annual "Carnival" taking place on the main highways. The drive was beautiful and our driver showed us many things along the way. Once we turned off the main road we headed up an unpaved private road which led to our paradise.
We arrived at the main entrance and experienced our first of many breathtaking views right from the lobby. We were greeted immediately by very pleasant staff who checked us in and escorted us to our waters edge cottage (#5). We were speechless, the view is incredible. The open air living area is perfect with the fan on and the front doors open. There is a small eating area, as well as a hammock, and pool loungers outside. The Plunge Pool is bigger than we thought it would be and was always the ideal temperature for us. There is a stocked mini fridge with water, soda, wine and beer, as well as some other liquor to mix your own beverages. Plenty of closet and drawer space for our belongings, and a very comfortable bed. The bedroom is air conditioned and doors close to keep it cool. The bathroom has a large Jacuzzi tub and a double sink, as well as a private toilet area. The shower is outdoors with slotted, double-hinged doors, that we did cover with our pool towels just in case house keeping swung by and we forgot to hang the "privacy please" sign.
Cottage #5 has a walkway to the small but quaint beach which leads to the pier, with more amazing sights. Plenty of beach chairs and the resort has 2 kayaks which are first come, first serve and the front desk has free snorkeling gear you can get from them. If you want to do the wave runners the concierge will call them and they will come right up to the beach for you.
Windsong Restaurant was where we ate all but 1 meal, and that one meal was because we were on an all day tour and were provided lunch on the tour. Breakfast and Dinner were amazing, with specials everyday. We enjoyed our lunches at the pool bar. Since we had the all inclusive plan we could enjoy bottles of wine or champagne whenever we wanted. There was a "reserved" wine list you could pay for but there were plenty of options on what they included that we didn't even look at that list. At dinner there was a singer or small band each night to set the mood, and they were great. They finished up at 9 pm and then it was just the relaxing sound of the water beneath you. There were people who came from outside to use the restaurant, and I can't blame them. The food was incredible.
We did do the "Honeymoon Escapade" which included massages in the Ti Spa as well as a private dinner you could enjoy on either the pier or under the gazebo which was right above the water. We opted for the gazebo because it was covered and there was rain in the forecast (Thank goodness we did because it rained between each course) We chose the seafood and the beef option, both were delicious and even my picky husband could not find one complaint about ANY of the food at the resort. The massages were incredible in the spa, one of the best I have ever gotten actually.
There were only 4 other couples we saw the entire time we were there because it is the slow season right now but for the most part we were the only ones in the pool, Which was perfect for us. We were not on our honeymoon to meet new friends, or hear about other peoples' weddings. We came to Calabash Cove to reflect on ourselves and this new, exciting chapter of our lives we had just embarked on, as well as to relax after months of planning and preparation. Calabash Cove provided us with the private, romantic, luxurious, beautiful, relaxing atmosphere we wanted with the staff who made us feel like celebrities. Sunny, Joel, Lance, Bonita, Randal, and Rocky were the absolute best. They were all so friendly and seemed to enjoy their jobs very much, which is not something you experience everywhere. They were always smiling and so polite.
The concierge has a book of tours and excursions available, and will help you reserve them if you would like. We did the deep sea fishing, a sunset cruise and the Land and Sea tour, the Land and Sea was our favorite. We also went to Rodney Bay which is a 15 minute taxi ride from the resort which is great for shopping and also has a tiny new casino which was great for a couple hours out after dinner one night.
This resort is not made for children and I would not recommend bringing children there. It is a very romantic, quiet resort made for couples who are looking to relax and celebrate each other. There is not an abundance of nightlife. Calabash Cove was the best decision we could have made for our honeymoon and provided us with EXACTLY what we wanted...amazing views, delicious food, impeccable service, privacy and romance. Thank you to all the staff there for making our honeymoon July 21-28th, 2014 one we will never forget.

Room Tip: Waters Edge cottages are amazing, the swim-up suites do have great access to the pool bar, honestly...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We have been taking an annual winter break in the carribbean for some 20 years and have loved the experience but the Calabash Cove was a great disappointment. The staff were terrific, friendly and helpful.The food in the restaurant was excellent but the evening entertainment was very poor .....mediocre pub type singers who packed up at 9pm leaving guests to continue their meals in silence and then wander off to their own rooms. We had a poolside room with fantastic views over the bay from the edge of the private patio but the room itself was dark and dank due due to the rampant overgrowth of foliage on the pergola outside the french doors.. Sunbeds took several hours to dry out after the expected mini downpours. Electric lights required even in the daytime.The pictures of the poolside rooms showing a bright sunny space are not accurate and must have been taken well before the foliage got out of hand. The room itself was adequate although the wardrobe space is very limited, there is no full length mirror and the mirror/lighting arrangement in the bathroom is challenging for female guests. There is very little to do, the beach is small with no watersports other than a kayak. The so-called spa is dismal with very limited treatment choice. The pool is good but the poolside is pretty basic with concrete flooring which looks as if the developer ran out ouf money before the tiling was installed. The poolside bar is adequate, the staff are great fun, but we were surprised that it closed at 5pm (this was January - peak season) therefore the usual Carribbean sundowner drink time didn't happen.
St. Lucia is a lovely island but there are better places to stay.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are dismal and fellow guests staying in bungalows compained of the same things.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Longview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband took me to St. Lucia for my 40th birthday, and after reading reviews on pretty much every property on the island, I chose Calabash Cove for the overwhelming number of positive reviews. We did not want an over populated resort with an abundance of nightlife, but a more laid back place where we could relax and really enjoy our stay. Calabash Cove was everything that I had read in the reviews and so much more. It was one of the most beautiful places that I have ever stayed! The island of St Lucia in and of itself is stunning, but this property is just gorgeous!! From start to finish, the stay was top notch. The staff was unbelievably friendly and accommodating. The grounds are beautiful, and so well maintained. The food in the restaurant was excellent. I really do not have a negative comment to leave here. The resort is small, and since we were in St Lucia during what they consider to be their down season, there were not many people staying at the resort while we were there. It felt as if we had the place to ourselves for a lot of the time that we were there. We did see other couples while eating or having drinks at the bar, but we spent one entire day on the beach without seeing another guest. The staff came to check on us and offer us drinks, but mostly left us to ourselves. It was perfect!! The island itself feels very safe, and was very easy to get around. We are very active, and spent time exploring the island, but you could easily spend every day on property and relax in the beauty that surrounds you. While on the beach, we saw an excursion bring others right out in front of our resort to snorkel! We had just seen hundreds of fish in the same vicinity, and that was included in our trip - we didn't need to pay additional for that excursion! If you are looking for a lot of activity and nightlife, this is not the resort for you. If you are looking for top notch service, relaxation, and privacy, then you will not be disappointed. I loved the resort and the people!!! The people honestly just added to the natural beauty of the resort, they were spectacular!!

Room Tip: We did not have a cottage, which most others had while we were there. We had a room in the building...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Calabash Cove was a perfect honeymoon destination. The hotel is very small, and we reserved one of the ocean cottages. The cottage was pretty, but slightly rustic.

The restaurant at the hotel was amazing, and tourists from all over the island came to our hotel.

Note, there is not any nightlife and the hotel is fairly secluded.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleyville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I always make it a point to post a review anytime I am especially pleased or displeased, as I find that these reviews can be very helpful to someone who is about to spend their hard-earned income on a vacation to someplace new and/or exotic. I can be a little wordy, but I really like to paint a picture for folks. This review will be a little different, as you will discover, but mainly due to the circumstances surrounding my vacation.

First of all, I will say that my beautiful new bride booked the vacation to Calabash Cove in St. Lucia as a surprise, so I really had no idea what to expect, as I had never before ventured to this part of the Caribbean.

After a short helicopter ride from the airport, and across the rain forest, we arrived a short distance from the resort. A taxi brought us to the front of the property, and I could not have been more awestruck upon walking toward the open-air reception area. We were immediately greeted by Rohan, the Front Office/Reservations Supervisor, who was a complete gentleman, and he gave us a brief overview of the property and accommodations, letting us know that virtually anything we might need would be provided upon request, whether it be additional pillows in the room, or one of many different excursions which can be booked at the Concierge desk. I have to say that it was hard to stay focused on what he was saying, as my eyes kept drifting to the tranquil, turquoise blue waters, and the lush foliage surrounding almost every point of the property. My immediate feeling was that I was in Hawaii because of how lush and diverse the greenery is on the property. What was most exciting though, was the immediate realization that this was not one of the many cruise-ship style resorts such as Sandals or Club Med. Calabash Cove is much more exclusive and intimate in every way.

The resort is located on a hill, with available rooms and cottages in various positions on the property. We stayed in cottage #5 at the bottom part of the property, which was perfect as it provided a sense of seclusion and privacy, yet was close enough to the main part of the property so as not to be an inconvenience. Each day, the staff was happy to see us and greeted us with a smile, no matter if it was the person cleaning the room, or a waiter taking an order for food or drinks. Our cottage had a small private dipping pool just off the side porch with a perfect view of the ocean, and honestly this was my favorite place to situate myself. If I got too hot in the sun, a hammock or over-sized chaise lounge (big enough for two) were but a few steps away underneath the wrap-around porch.

The food is absolutely excellent, and 5-star quality, as is the table-side service. There is an extensive wine list available and a fully stocked bar at either the pool or in the main dining area. The property is well-maintained and always neat and clean. Furthermore, there is a small gym with plenty of cardio equipment as well as a decent-sized set of dumb-bells if you want to do some light weightlifting to stay in shape. The best part to me was the spa, which offers massages, facials, body scrubs, etc. We chose an 80-minute couples massage which was heavenly. Although we didn't realize it at the time, a number of people take their massages underneath a cabana facing the sea - with an absolutely stunning view and cool breeze blowing gently across their draped bodies!

Now comes the unusual part. After midnight on the fourth night of our stay, I became deathly ill (let me stress, NOT from food or anything related to the resort, but because of a pre-existing condition), and my wife was forced to have to call the front desk to see if they could recommend a doctor. The hotel manager, Unita, sent for an ambulance which whisked me to the private hospital on the island for treatment. Unita actually drove in her car to the hospital ahead of the ambulance, and stayed with my wife until the wee hours of the morning, making sure that we were okay. The next morning, Rohan showed up to visit us and make sure that we were doing fine, and actually packed along breakfast food and juice for us, since he knew that my wife was only going to have hospital food as an option. Additionally, both Unita and Rohan called to check in with us several other times, wishing us well, and letting us know that they were there if we needed anything at all! In short the level of concern they displayed was incredible, and I don't have to tell you, is unlike anything one might expect in the U.S. if one were faced with a similar situation. Long story short, I was in the hospital for almost two days, and when we finally did return, we were warmly greeted by almost everyone on staff, asking me how I was doing and letting us know that they were so happy I was well.

Bottom line, Calabash Cove is one of the most amazing places I have ever stayed, and the people are an absolute treasure. Because our trip was cut short because of my illness, we are already planning our return. To anyone reading this, you cannot go wrong by booking here. You will love it!

P.S., if you do happen to get sick enough to require hospitalization (which I pray you do not!), the medical care at Tapion Hospital is great and the people there are extremely warm and friendly as well. They have all the necessary equipment to do a proper diagnosis, including a CT scan, and they even wheeled in a roll-away bed for my wide to stay with me.

All in all, St. Lucia is truly a paradise, and the people at Calabash Cove are the hidden treasure!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Marske-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

My Wife and myself chose Calabash Cove for our Tenth Wedding Anniversary. We were not disappointed, we stayed in one of the cottages and were amazed. What this facility considers to be a mini bar wow.....The facilities and the staff are amazing, the sunsets are fantastic.
Our favorite time was breakfast, the staff would bring us breakfast at the room, with birds flying around us (bear in mind all birds on the island are sugar junkies and will often fly off with packets of sugar.)
On an evening watching the sunset will blow your mind.
If you fancy a small private hotel with top class service please consider this hotel.

Room Tip: Please pay a bit more and consider the cottages, you will be happy.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We are still here with two days remaining. I felt it necessary to mention a few reasons for an early review. The management and staff are extremely friendly committed to ensuring that your stay is perfect, even the gardeners want to ensure your break is an exceptional one. What I love about Calabash Cove is that they have got the all inclusive stuff absolutely right, I didn't want buffet food, or mass produced rubbish, using the theme of "local dishes". This is what it says on the tin. Your meals are all prepared and cooked for you and the food, in the main is St Lucian. Now that is all inclusive!! Not wishing to review the beverage dept with too much enthusiasm, the drinks in the rooms are inclusive so if partial to rum and coke, once the "real rum"bottle is empty, they will replenish it without question.!!? This holiday ticked so many boxes for my wife and I on our 25 wedding anniversary . Superb stuff. Money we'll spent . And I have met some of the nicest people whilst there. Brilliant!! And thank you all at Calabash Cove St Lucia

Room Tip: Go for the junior swim up suite. Although the cottages are pretty cool too.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Calabash Cove Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!