Stayed for a week at the end of February 2013, comments as follows:
We viewed all 3 options having originally booked a standard suite. Unfortunately we were allocated 201. Others have posted about possible noise but my concern was the lack of a view. Having looked at the swim up suites and the cottages we opted to upgrade for a swim up.
Very nice, well appointed room, typical for a hotel of this standard. Was not as dark as others suggested although the terrace is completely covered in shade. Note the beds in the swim ups and cottages have a mosquito net, something I would recommend (read on).
Overall the room was nice, cleaned well but I can not help but think this is the one area that lets the hotel down. The word 'tired' comes to mind.
Very good. Breakfast served quickly, contrary to other experiences I have read on TA. Evening meal varied enough and very tasty, good value as we were on the B&B option, which was better for us as we like a drink but not excessive. Lunch at the pool bar good.
Outstanding. I can not comment highly enough about the entire team from the owner, reception team, waiters, gardeners, all engaging, considerate and wanting to help.
Approx 10 minutes taxi ride from Rodney Bay, $15 each way in a taxi. Worth going in to see the beach, restaurant options etc. Taxis booked by reception, great service from Tim the driver.
RESTAURANTS OTHER THEN THE HOTEL
We tried The Edge (expensive but good), Spice of India (very good and reasonably priced) and Spinnakers (great beach location, good value and a bit more family orientated).
BEACH / POOL
Loads of sun beds so no towels out early a.m. I'm pleased to say. Always options in the gardens, around the pool and on the beautiful secluded beach. Pool bar a nice touch to enjoy a cocktail in the sun.
All public areas of the hotel are very nice. Reception has the wow factor (the view), restaurant nice, infinity pool also good. Gardens manicured each day.
We did the helicopter transfer to and from the airport. Highly recommended. So easy and carefree as opposed to the drive along winding roads others reported.
We also did the Segway tour (a must do - see separate review) and the big game fishing. We failed to catch but had a good day.
We would return for sure but would encourage the owner to look at refurbishing the rooms. Do not misunderstand, they are not bad, moreover need a spruce up considering we are talking 5star (but again, they are very clean).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on gently sloping, tropical beachfront on the northwest coast of the island, Calabash Cove is one of just a select few five-star resorts on St. Lucia. Nestled in the sheltered bay of Bonaire Estate, Calabash Cove is perched on a hillside sloping gently towards the Caribbean Sea, where cool ocean breezes provide a wonderful respite and the turquoise sea is offset by the vibrant green of tropical vegetation and views of Walcott Island. A private beach and nearby coral reef provide the perfect place to rest, reflect and dream. The resort has been designed with great care to complement and exist in harmony with the beauty of the natural surroundings. The main buildings of the hotel, such as the lobby, restaurant, bar, sanctuary, and infinity pool with waterfall lie on a slope, with the villas in the midst of lush vegetation perfectly situated to view nightly sunsets. The natural elements of earth, wind, light and water are represented in the exotic wood, stone and natural materials used in the composition of the buildings. The peaceful and tranquil gardens, under the care of one of the finest landscape architects in the Caribbean, have been created to capture and optimize the natural splendor of the area and are filled with vibrant, fragrant flowers set amid groves of trees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Calabash Cove Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Calabash Cove Hotel Gros Islet
- Calabash Cove Resort And Spa St. Lucia/Gros Islet