“Casuarina Spa Excellent Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cotton Bay Village

You added Cotton Bay Village to your Saves list
Cotton Bay Village
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 2374 | Cap Estate, Cas-En-Bas, Castries, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Castries
edinburgh
“Casuarina Spa Excellent Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We enjoyed a deep-tissue massage with steambath/mudpack to follow and the experience was luxurious, relaxing, and highly recommendable. The excellent practitioner Joyce has a wast knowledge and first hand experience of Massage and Well-being practices from all around the world and being in 'her hands' is a wonderful experience. Thank you Joyce, and partners

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CottonBayVillage, Director of Sales at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you very much for taking time to comment on your Spa experience at Cotton Bay Village. We are very pleased, and will pass on your good regards to Joyce, all the best and we look forward to hosting you again. Ginette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have stayed at Cotton Bay twice and I am intending on returning soon, which should clearly say that I am quite happy with the hotel. If you like space, a peaceful environment and a bit of privacy, Cotton Bay is the perfect holiday spot. The hotel definitely lives up to its 4 star rating.

I have stayed in the 1BR Tamarind villa and been very satisfied with the accommodation. In fact it actually had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Plenty of space, clean and all the necessary amenities. The bed was very comfortable, bathrooms very modern and the bathrobes very handy. The WIFI worked perfectly and was fast, which was a bonus if you need to get connected to the rest of the world. I have never dined at the restaurant, therefore I can’t comment on it, as I have only ordered room service which was fast and effective. After 3 days the menu became a bit boring but otherwise the food was tasty. I also went to their little supermarket on property. The prices are a bit high, which is normal for hotels but at least you can get most of the main ingredients to prepare some food at the villa if you wish.

The location is remote, away from all the noise, shopping and main attractions, but it is easy to arrange a taxi and it takes about 15 minutes to get to Rodney Bay. I personally like the location as it is away from all the buzz and ideal for a relaxing holiday. However, please note that a taxi ride from the international airport (UVF) takes 90 minutes.

Cas en Bas beach is not the prettiest on the island, but I had been there and knew it before booking. The beach is very rustic and very quiet compared to the other beaches on the island which are more tourist oriented. If you want a pretty white sand beach, it is not the place for you, however if you like the rustic feel of the beach and want to be off the beaten track, Cotton Bay is the ideal spot. I had a minor issue in regards to a special request that wasn’t fulfilled but overall I was quite satisfied with their service.

Overall, compared to some other 4 star hotels on the island, Cotton Bay offers excellent value for your money. The villas are nice, spacious and the grounds lovely. I will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
CottonBayVillage, Director of Sales at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you, thank you, we are delighted that we met and exceeded your expectations and that you had a wonderful stay with us, it was indeed our pleasure All the best and we look ok forward to welcoming you back some day soon. Do have a lovely evening..Ginette
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My family of 5 (2 adults, 14,13 and 6 y/o) recently stayed at the Cotton Bay for 9 days at the end of August in a 3 bedroom TerraCotta Villa. We had purchased a 6 day Groupon and added 3 days using on of the web-site specials. August is off-season for Saint Lucia, so the village was on the quite side. Many of the staff were either leaving on holiday, or just returning.

The front desk staff (concierge) at the village is fabulous. Abdullah, August, Benjamin, and Jason will tend to all your needs and requests! We really appreciated their hospitality and friendliness during our stay!

There are a lot of mixed reviews, and I think this depends on what your expectations are. Overall, the Cotton Bay met out expectations. Some areas lacked, and some areas shined, but overall we had wonderful stay.

The Villa was AMAZING. Private pool was fabulous to have, so much space and amenities that were very welcome when you have a large family. We had a couple of issues with the air conditioning, and some other technical things, but they were fixed in a timely manner. Yes, it is true that the main villa area does not have a/c. When didn't find this much of a problem. We would open the doors to the main areas early in the morning and later in the evening, and it was comfortable. During the day, we were usually away from the villa, so not having the a/c was not an issue. We kept the a/c on in the bedrooms with the door closed, so it was always cold in the bedrooms (a/c very noisy and turns off and on, so if you are a light sleeper you might want earplugs). Also, since there are no windows (just shutters), any noise from outside is heard in the villa. The mosquitoes can be an issue, and we came prepared with bug bands, and spray that contained at least 15% picaridin, and this seemed to help. After the 3rd day, we requested the villa get sprayed every night, and that helped even more with keeping the "mosses" at bay.

The Beach was fabulous. The view, water, everything. Hubby and kids took out the kayaks a couple of times. There were stray dogs, and they didn't bother anyone. The horses on the beach were not a problem either. The beach was cleaned everyday to get rid of the seaweed. We didn't find this an issue either. Two days at the beach there were BEAUTIFUL rainbows!! One day they had turtle eggs hatch but we missed it. Also, the spa had arranged some dancing on the beach one evening (I forgot what kind it was a different style, and they were teaching it in a group). At times there were no towels in the holders, but all you had to do was ask someone at the beach restaurant, as they keep the extras in the closet.

The Main pool is GORGEOUS. There is a covered baby pool that is great for the little ones. The main pool is 5 feet all around, so a life jacket or swimmies a must for those that have outgrown the baby pool, but cannot swim, as they will not be able to stand.

The Beach restaurant is a very short walk from anywhere in the village. Breakfast was included in our stay. The food was surprisingly good, and freshly made. Also, much more reasonable then Rodney Bay and other restaurants "in town". Service was quite slow and with the exception of a few servers, most seemed like they were just going through the motions (except for DAVID who was AWESOME). Menu changes weekly. Happy hour every day from 6-7.

Piano Piano was also very good. We dined there on our second to last night. Food was fresh, and drinks strong. Dessert was AWESOME (ask for the chocolate shaped like a piano). What made it even better was our server David. I wish we would have him more nights at the beach restaurant. David works at both restaurants, and he truly puts in the extra effort!!!

The Bruchetta Deli was a disappointment. I think they weren't stocked because it was the off season. Better off going into town to the local supermarket.

The kid's club is staffed by a wonderful woman named Juan. She is super friendly and did some lovely projects with my daughter. Because it was the off season, there were not many children attending, and there were no trips down to the beach, etc. My daughter went a couple times, and enjoyed herself.

I had an AWESOME massage at the spa (Swan was my masseuse). Probably one of the best massages I ever had. I also had the ginger and lime scrub. It was a little rough for me, so I probably should of gone with the less intense scrub they offered. My spa treatment were included in the Groupon.

Gaetan was our taxi driver the whole time, and he was AWESOME!. His van is new, clean with great a/c. He was always on time, recommended restaurants, and gave us a mini tour up to the college in Castries so we could see the wonderful views. We were sad to say goodbye when he dropped us off at the airport!

Overall, it was a great trip. The Cotton Bay Village touts itself as a luxury resort, and I think it could be with some tweaking. We have stayed at many high-end, luxury hotels/resorts and the Cotton Bay misses the mark in providing a truly luxury/high-end/upscale resort.

HOWEVER, if you are looking for a beautiful beach, pool, natural quite/isolated setting, a place to spread out with your family, good food/drinks, a friendly front desk staff, then you won't be disappointed. Also, the Island of Saint Lucia is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Some helpful tips:

We did not rent a car, and spent less on taxis. My husband (who has driven all over the world), say he is glad we didn't rent a car, as finding your way around the island is not easy.
Seaspray Tout Bagay tour was awesome (see my separate TA review)
Rainforest zip-line was awesome (see my separate TA review)
Pigeon Island is very close to Cotton Bay and a must see (see my separate TA review)
2 restaurants that are a must are The Coal Pot in Castries and Flavours of the Grill in Gros Islet (see my separate TA reviews)
Yes, it is a 1.5 hour ride from the airport, but if you have a good driver, they will tell you about the island, and stop a few times along the way.
Dining in Rodney Bay, and other main cities is VERY expensive. Expect to pay around $50PP.

Room Tip: Our Villa was 37. Very central in the village. The pool was across from us, and the kid's club...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to be your host and we are thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay, we are wishing you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you soon. Best regards Ginette
Trinidad WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hotel was very comfortable and staff were nice and friendly. Rooms were spacious and cleaned everyday. Only negative was that shampoo etc. were not replaced after the initial set. Pool was big and centrally located. Front desk facilitated all requests. Must compliment Jason and August from the front desk who assisted in every possible way and even gave suggestions. Also David the barman who provided us with some awesome drinks. The beach was not the best due to the location but was nice nevertheless. Overall had an excellent stay at Cotton Bay Village and would highly recommend in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1461, General Manager at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hi Blue;

Thank you for taking the time out to share your experience and recommendation. It truly was our pleasure to serve you. I am sorry to read about the shampoo but promise to make it up to you. I will certainly share your review with our team members and look forward to welcoming you back some day soon.

Thank you.
Michael.
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Just returned from a 12 day holiday at CBV and I can honestly say it was the most relaxing holiday we have ever had!
I was with my husband and 19 year old Son and, as September is one of the quieter months in StL it was beautifully peaceful and we all switched off completely.
All the staff were very friendly and always had a smile for us and nothing was too much trouble.
We eat at the Beach Club on 4 nights and the food was very good.
The beach was beautiful and rugged and very quiet and the sea was SO warm and the main pool was stunning.
Special mention to Abdulah and Jason on reception for organising our transport into Rodney Bay when required and Ellie and Mark at the Beach Club for looking after us, especially on My husbands 50th Birthday!
Also a mention to the lovely man on reception on Friday afternoon ( sorry didn't get his name)who was so helpful letting us check out and go back to our villa to wait for our transfer to airport to save us dragging all our luggage, small things like that make a big difference thank you.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CottonBayVillage, Director of Sales at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay and describing what it meant to you. We are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to our village and beautiful St. Lucia sometime. All the best Ginette
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was by far one of the best vacation experiences I have had to date. I am not sure what the expectations were of the other travelers that posted bad reviews but Cotton Bay is perfect if you are looking to relax , have an "island experience" and have total seclusion. My experience started with a great taxi driver named Gaitan , who was very informative, professional and polite during the hour and a half ride to the resort. The staff at the resort were some of the nicest and helpfulness people that I have met as well, and when I say "staff" I mean everyone from the front desk to the landscapers.

The main restaurant food was delicious, everything was made fresh to order, so it takes a while. My favorite dishes were the omelet, French toast, fish caesar salad and curry chicken. Although, the prices are on the high side, the food is worth it in my opinion.

The 3 bedroom villa with a private pool was beyond amazing. I really appreciate the front desk giving us the upgrade. The full kitchen comes in handy if you want to cook and save money. The private pool was also a great benefit because you have the option of relaxing in your villa at the pool or going to the main pool.

The beach was serene, very private and not over crowded (which I loved). There were times that I was there alone, which I loved because I did not have to fight for a beach chair. If you like a crowd then I suggest going to another resort. The only issue some guest may have is the large amount of seaweed on the beach but that is something the resort cannot control, even though they clean it up daily.

Overall, the island is beautiful and I would suggest staying at Cotton Bay. If you do I would suggest:

1- Getting the 3 bedroom villa with a pool
2- Request Gaitan as your taxi driver (and take the tour he offers)
3- Do not exchange US $ for their currency, because the locals prefer US $.
4- Know before you go St. Lucia can be pretty expensive.
5- Oh..be sure to get a massage with Joy or Swan...OMG!!
6- October-December is the busiest months, September is the best time to go.

Other than that, I will definitely be back to St. Lucia and Cotton Bay!

Room Tip: If you do not have kids, I suggest requesting a room away from the Kids Club.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CottonBayVillage, Director of Sales at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
What more can we say but thank you, thank you, we are delighted that we meet and exceeded your expectations and that you had a wonderful stay with us, and your St. Lucia and Cotton Bay Village experience will never be forgotten. All the best and we look ok forward to welcoming you back some day soon. Do have a lovely evening..Ginette
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Abbreviated stay here in July - we were interested in purchasing a unit in the new I hotel scheduled to be built in the next couple of years. We had seen the opportunity at a living south expo in NY back in Feb. For just $1,500, we were given a "complimentary" 3 bdrm villa w/plunge pool for a week to see what the resort had to offer. Our feeling was it was a great deal even if we opted not to buy. Virtually a free vacation - but, I guess, nothing is free. We were told that the airport was just 15 minutes away - what they neglected to tell us was that this was a LIAT only airport and only a fraction of the flights actually flew in there. To make a long story short, even though we were paid up for 7 days, we left after 3 days incurring an $1,100 airline change fee from Jet Blue in the process. It was that bad -- you can read the other commentaries about the awful beach, lousy restaurant, and sand mites. My wife and daughter were bitten up from head to toe. Jacuzzi on the top floor was disgustingly dirty. No AC in kitchen and family room which is a problem b/c the resort is laid out in such a way that there is no natural flow of air into the units. Tree frogs at nite so bad with their chirping, we barely slept. Only one of the three showers had hot water. To position the resort as being beach front is not really accurate - we are used to being able to see the beach from our hotel balcony. That's far from the case here -- it took 5 - 10 minutes just to walk to the beach. You would think as a prospective buyer, they would have done everything to put us in quality accommodations but they did not. The final straw was the 90 minute taxi ride back to the airport - even though it was supposed to be complimentary from the resort, we opted to pay for a regular cab b/c we felt it wasn't right to accept the comp knowing we weren't going to buy. Abdullah from the front desk made the arrangements for us presumably with one of their regular service providers. 10 minutes into the ride, the driver stops in Rodney Bay, picks up a friend and advises that we need to make a pit stop at his "personal residence". He drives 15 minutes to who knows where, stops at a house near the "football" stadium where an army of men have gathered (tailgating on a Wed morning?) and leaves me, my wife and two daughters sitting / freaking in the car. After 5 minutes, he comes back with no explanation or apology and finally heads off to the airport. My daughter told me later, she was on the verge of a panic attack throughout the entire ordeal. With all that said, I thought everybody at the resort were very professional and impressive. A good staff but hamstrung by a decaying infrastructure. I learned that a number of owners were in arrears on their strata fees which explains why the resort is not being maintained as well as it should be. The unit we were in was one of the delinquent ones. My advice to the Sales team, if you want to sell some units, put your prospective buyers into quality units. If our unit is representative of what the I-hotel will be, you're not going to close too many deals.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1461, General Manager at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Bruce;

Thank you for your review. Clearly we did not meet your expectation and for this we apologize. The issues you had with the third parties involved, clearly made your experiecne worst which is very unfortunate for us both.
Thanks again for your positive comment of the staff and your review.

Michael C. Mathius

Been to Cotton Bay Village? Share your experiences!