“Very private and close to the beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cotton Bay Village

Save Saved
You added Cotton Bay Village to your Saves list
Cotton Bay Village
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 2374 | Cap Estate, Cas-En-Bas, Castries, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #7 of 17 hotels in Castries
Trinidad WI
“Very private and close to the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hotel was very comfortable and staff were nice and friendly. Rooms were spacious and cleaned everyday. Only negative was that shampoo etc. were not replaced after the initial set. Pool was big and centrally located. Front desk facilitated all requests. Must compliment Jason and August from the front desk who assisted in every possible way and even gave suggestions. Also David the barman who provided us with some awesome drinks. The beach was not the best due to the location but was nice nevertheless. Overall had an excellent stay at Cotton Bay Village and would highly recommend in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1461, General Manager at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hi Blue;

Thank you for taking the time out to share your experience and recommendation. It truly was our pleasure to serve you. I am sorry to read about the shampoo but promise to make it up to you. I will certainly share your review with our team members and look forward to welcoming you back some day soon.

Thank you.
Michael.

259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Just returned from a 12 day holiday at CBV and I can honestly say it was the most relaxing holiday we have ever had!
I was with my husband and 19 year old Son and, as September is one of the quieter months in StL it was beautifully peaceful and we all switched off completely.
All the staff were very friendly and always had a smile for us and nothing was too much trouble.
We eat at the Beach Club on 4 nights and the food was very good.
The beach was beautiful and rugged and very quiet and the sea was SO warm and the main pool was stunning.
Special mention to Abdulah and Jason on reception for organising our transport into Rodney Bay when required and Ellie and Mark at the Beach Club for looking after us, especially on My husbands 50th Birthday!
Also a mention to the lovely man on reception on Friday afternoon ( sorry didn't get his name)who was so helpful letting us check out and go back to our villa to wait for our transfer to airport to save us dragging all our luggage, small things like that make a big difference thank you.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CottonBayVillage, Director of Sales at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay and describing what it meant to you. We are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to our village and beautiful St. Lucia sometime. All the best Ginette
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was by far one of the best vacation experiences I have had to date. I am not sure what the expectations were of the other travelers that posted bad reviews but Cotton Bay is perfect if you are looking to relax , have an "island experience" and have total seclusion. My experience started with a great taxi driver named Gaitan , who was very informative, professional and polite during the hour and a half ride to the resort. The staff at the resort were some of the nicest and helpfulness people that I have met as well, and when I say "staff" I mean everyone from the front desk to the landscapers.

The main restaurant food was delicious, everything was made fresh to order, so it takes a while. My favorite dishes were the omelet, French toast, fish caesar salad and curry chicken. Although, the prices are on the high side, the food is worth it in my opinion.

The 3 bedroom villa with a private pool was beyond amazing. I really appreciate the front desk giving us the upgrade. The full kitchen comes in handy if you want to cook and save money. The private pool was also a great benefit because you have the option of relaxing in your villa at the pool or going to the main pool.

The beach was serene, very private and not over crowded (which I loved). There were times that I was there alone, which I loved because I did not have to fight for a beach chair. If you like a crowd then I suggest going to another resort. The only issue some guest may have is the large amount of seaweed on the beach but that is something the resort cannot control, even though they clean it up daily.

Overall, the island is beautiful and I would suggest staying at Cotton Bay. If you do I would suggest:

1- Getting the 3 bedroom villa with a pool
2- Request Gaitan as your taxi driver (and take the tour he offers)
3- Do not exchange US $ for their currency, because the locals prefer US $.
4- Know before you go St. Lucia can be pretty expensive.
5- Oh..be sure to get a massage with Joy or Swan...OMG!!
6- October-December is the busiest months, September is the best time to go.

Other than that, I will definitely be back to St. Lucia and Cotton Bay!

Room Tip: If you do not have kids, I suggest requesting a room away from the Kids Club.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CottonBayVillage, Director of Sales at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
What more can we say but thank you, thank you, we are delighted that we meet and exceeded your expectations and that you had a wonderful stay with us, and your St. Lucia and Cotton Bay Village experience will never be forgotten. All the best and we look ok forward to welcoming you back some day soon. Do have a lovely evening..Ginette
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Abbreviated stay here in July - we were interested in purchasing a unit in the new I hotel scheduled to be built in the next couple of years. We had seen the opportunity at a living south expo in NY back in Feb. For just $1,500, we were given a "complimentary" 3 bdrm villa w/plunge pool for a week to see what the resort had to offer. Our feeling was it was a great deal even if we opted not to buy. Virtually a free vacation - but, I guess, nothing is free. We were told that the airport was just 15 minutes away - what they neglected to tell us was that this was a LIAT only airport and only a fraction of the flights actually flew in there. To make a long story short, even though we were paid up for 7 days, we left after 3 days incurring an $1,100 airline change fee from Jet Blue in the process. It was that bad -- you can read the other commentaries about the awful beach, lousy restaurant, and sand mites. My wife and daughter were bitten up from head to toe. Jacuzzi on the top floor was disgustingly dirty. No AC in kitchen and family room which is a problem b/c the resort is laid out in such a way that there is no natural flow of air into the units. Tree frogs at nite so bad with their chirping, we barely slept. Only one of the three showers had hot water. To position the resort as being beach front is not really accurate - we are used to being able to see the beach from our hotel balcony. That's far from the case here -- it took 5 - 10 minutes just to walk to the beach. You would think as a prospective buyer, they would have done everything to put us in quality accommodations but they did not. The final straw was the 90 minute taxi ride back to the airport - even though it was supposed to be complimentary from the resort, we opted to pay for a regular cab b/c we felt it wasn't right to accept the comp knowing we weren't going to buy. Abdullah from the front desk made the arrangements for us presumably with one of their regular service providers. 10 minutes into the ride, the driver stops in Rodney Bay, picks up a friend and advises that we need to make a pit stop at his "personal residence". He drives 15 minutes to who knows where, stops at a house near the "football" stadium where an army of men have gathered (tailgating on a Wed morning?) and leaves me, my wife and two daughters sitting / freaking in the car. After 5 minutes, he comes back with no explanation or apology and finally heads off to the airport. My daughter told me later, she was on the verge of a panic attack throughout the entire ordeal. With all that said, I thought everybody at the resort were very professional and impressive. A good staff but hamstrung by a decaying infrastructure. I learned that a number of owners were in arrears on their strata fees which explains why the resort is not being maintained as well as it should be. The unit we were in was one of the delinquent ones. My advice to the Sales team, if you want to sell some units, put your prospective buyers into quality units. If our unit is representative of what the I-hotel will be, you're not going to close too many deals.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1461, General Manager at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Bruce;

Thank you for your review. Clearly we did not meet your expectation and for this we apologize. The issues you had with the third parties involved, clearly made your experiecne worst which is very unfortunate for us both.
Thanks again for your positive comment of the staff and your review.

Michael C. Mathius
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Weather great and that was about it. Cotton Bay Village looking very tired and worn around the edges. Restaurant and shop look like they're closing down. Miles from anywhere. Weather was only saving grace, Cape Verde here we come! You've been warned....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CottonBayVillage, Director of Sales at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you Alan for your review, and we do look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future. Best regards Ginette.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Cotton Bay is a lovely spot for a vacation is you're looking for some peace and quiet. Located on the Atlantic side of the island, it's about a 10 minute cab ride from from Rodney Bay, the heart of the tourist district. Because the roads are windy and mountainous walking isn't really possible. This might make some feel isolated but I was glad to be on the beach and away from tourist central. No one comes up to you to try to sell you anything. The other guests were mostly couples, no one was there to party and no one was towing large groups of screaming children.

And the villas...wow! We were so pleasantly surprised. We reserved a 1 bedroom villa but when we arrived found that we had been upgraded to a two bedroom. We had a master bedroom with attached bathroom, a second bathroom and bedroom, a detached toilet for guests, a well furnished living room and a partially stocked kitchen. Our private patio was a great place to have breakfast! When we arrived we found fresh flowers all throughout the villa.

Since the beach faces the Atlantic Ocean, it doesn't have the blue blues of the other side of the island and some seaweed did wash up. But these were minor details for us. And the strong ocean breezes keep the bugs away! There were always covered lounges available and no need to bring our own towel. The barman at the beach bar was friendly and happy to chat and suggest cocktails. The restaurant food was fine but expensive for what you get. You're better off adventuring outside of the Village. The pool was clean and huge, but who needs a pool when you're at the ocean?

The staff was always so happy to help us: reserve massages, book a taxi to visit the volcano and for our trip to/from the airport, whatever we wanted. Everyone had a smile for us.

If I go back to St Lucia I'll return here without a doubt!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
CottonBayVillage, Director of Sales at Cotton Bay Village, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to be your host and we are thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay, we are wishing you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you soon. Best regards Ginette
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I arrived here for 6 nights at the end of May 2013. We had done a bit of research into the place when it had come up on "Living Social's" website. It was a great deal, seemed to good to be true with a free spa treatment and breakfast every day. Amazingly the place gets great reviews so we booked it. We took the St Lucia Helicopter to the resort as it is a long way by car (2.5 hours) from the International Airport which is on the other end of the island. The Helicopter was expensive but kinda cool. Although the weather was not in our favor. I would recommend the Helicopter to get there, just pack some swim clothes in your carry on. Your luggage still has to go by car. It can go ahead of you though I imagine if you wanted to take the Helicopter back rather than you having to leave at the same time.
Anyway the room we were given was super nice. Everything was in great repair. The washing machine was in need of service in our place but the sign said there was complementary service available instead. The place was so large (bigger than our home in Boston) we really spread out and we had the "small" 2 bedroom poolside apts. We were also lucky that there was a power down converter in the apt too for US voltage and a 5 plug power strip for US plugs (FYI plugs are UK here in ST Lucia).
The resort was really nice and quiet. Later we popped over to Sandal's (what a zoo) in comparison. The taxi drivers we chatted to seemed to not like Sandal's corporation for their practices. No one had a bad word to say about Cotton Bay.
We never went to the "up scale" restaurant so i cannot speak to that. We did eat every night except on at the beach front restaurant. It was very nice, reasonably priced. The lamb I had one night was delicious.
Winds are stronger on this side of the island. We never had any issues with it though. In fact we preferred it as it keeps you cooler and keeps the bugs off. I means their are two watersports places on the beach to take lessons at etc. The horse rides that many of the resorts offer excursions too walk this beach every day which made for a nice view. The staff clear the beach of seaweed etc early every morning. The sand is very soft and clean as is the water. Pool is very nice too. Landscaping is under regular attention and looks great. Very pretty flowers etc.
My wife and I had no issues with mozi's etc. The staff did fumigate the resort one day when we were there for maybe 10 mins. The store near the front gate has very little, but it is enough to get by. The bi weekly free shuttle into town can get you to the 2 super markets. FYI they seems to always be sold out of fresh meats when we went.
Staff were extremely chatty and kind. Lots of fun. I would definitely recommend. Especially for families and large groups, the villa's looked cool.
Other than that not much to say.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, and we are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our little village in paradise. Best regards Ginette

Been to Cotton Bay Village? Share your experiences!