“Let's not tiptoe around” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The BodyHoliday, LeSport

You added The BodyHoliday, LeSport to your Saves list
The BodyHoliday, LeSport
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cariblue Beach | Cap Estate, Castries 437, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Castries
A TripAdvisor Member
“Let's not tiptoe around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2005

It seems the reality of the sexual harassment by male staff at LeSport is being lost under recent gushing and superficial reviews. I can only take it that women who have attempted to state the true facts on Tripadvisor about this dreadful situation are being dismissed as troublemakers, and have given up trying to prevent further female tourists falling into the Bodyholiday trap.
Time to name the predatory 'yoga instructor' mentioned in earlier reviews - CHARLES SIMON. I, personally, had a "near miss" with this person after believing that the attention during class was really to do with yoga, and the offer to swim at the beach was really to wind down afterwards. Silly me, but thank goodness I realised what was actually happening before it was too late!
I have had confirmation direct from LeSport that he was, indeed, fired for his behaviour ... but this was after 16 years! How many unfortunate female guests does that add up to??
Ignore the warnings if you want, but remember the compound is there to keep you in and not others out. Do you still feel comfortable with that big keyring with your room number on it, and your passport sitting at reception showing your details to any inquisitive staff member?

• Stayed January 2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
Estepona, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2005

It was a real shame that we had problems in paradise, and it was truly was paradise. The holiday started very well and was exactly as we expected having had our wedding at the resort 10 years ago. We had a meeting with Anna-Marie the wedding coordinator the day after we arrived and went over the arrangements for our Renewal of Vows ceremony.

Prior to going on holiday I had extensions put into my hair in preparation for the 'big day', and wanted to have a soft curly style. Unfortunately the hairdryers in the rooms were useless - no heat, no power, and no use to man nor beast, so because of this I decided to get my hair done professionally by the in-house hairdresser. As Le Sport no longer have a salon Anna-Marie called a hairdresser who comes in specially to do your hair, if you want, basically you shampoo it and then she sets it. She had a conversation with this lady whilst we were in the room, telling her what sort of style I required. This was a basic big rollers, soft curls sort of thing, now it transpired that the hairdresser had no big rollers.... strange thought I? Anyway I suggested tongs? Nope none of these either, in the end Anna-Marie suggested that she lent the hairdresser her daughters heated carmen rollers and made an arrangement to bring these in the day before..... Well to be honest I wasn't convinced about the professionalism of a hairdresser who had no rollers, and the doubt was setting in however it seemed as if I had no choice what with the non-existent styling power of the in-house hairdryers!

Anyway on the Monday 3rd October, I went to the Oasis for a treatment, this was a massage which also involved a scalp massage. The therapist remarked on the extensions in my hair, obviously she had noticed these whilst rubbing my head, and I told her all about them and how I had treated myself to them for the 'big day' and they had cost me €300. That evening whilst getting ready to go out I noticed that my hair felt very odd, the silicone used to fix the extensions into my hair seemed to have melted causing them to stick to my hair and each other, that then caused it all to matt together in sticky lumps all over my head!! I couldn't get the knots nor the matted bits out, combed it, tried to brush it but nothing worked. Anyway needless to say I was in a right old state by Tuesday morning, I spoke to Junior at the Oasis, and he called his training manager Chantal over to speak to me. She immediately said it must have been the coconut oil they used there for the treatments. Junior then called and made an appointment for me that evening to speak to the Oasis Manager Anita. In the meantime I called a local hairdresser called Ziggy and went down to the local shops there to see if they could do something ANYTHING with my hair, bearing in mind that we were supposed to have our Renewal ceremony the NEXT DAY! The hairdressers confirmed that it was the coconut in the massage oil that caused the problem, but unfortunately in St Lucia they don't do that sort of extensions, therefore don't have the product that removes them either, SO they couldn't take them out which by then I really wanted them to do!! So we just had to go with it, they managed to cut out the really big matted bits - leaving me bald in patches!!! It was a horrible nightmare situation - there I was in a foreign country sat in a strange hairdressers that I'd never visited before, four wonderful girls in a flurry around my head, all exclaiming OH MY GOD how awful, OOOO look at that one there!!! OOOooooo what can we do!! The upshot was that I left having had the worse bits cut out and made an appointment for Ziggy to visit me at the hotel the next day to 'do' my hair for the day.

Went I got back to the hotel my husband and I went to see Anita the manager at the Oasis who was very understanding, but obviously guarded about admitting responsibility. I was in the circumstances very calm, but wanted to make the point that we should have been warned about this sort of thing, especially as Chantal seemed to know straight away that the coconut oil caused this to happen. Anita said that she would speak to the Manager Alan Stoker and get back to me. To be honest we were trying very hard not to get upset, its such a wonderful place and we really didn't want it to get in the way of our lovely holiday and plans for the next day. So we left there all smiley trying to make the best of it.

The next day I went up to the Oasis for my pre-wedding facial, hoping that would keep me calm and smiley too. Unfortunately for some reason I wasn't booked in for it, so I had to wait and wait and wait, eventually they 'found' someone to do it. Coming on the back of the problems from the day before you can understand I was a tad upset. This wasn't the first time this had happened and speaking to other guests several had experienced the same problems, they turned up for treatments only to find they'd been cancelled or the staff were off sick! One lady I spoke to had had her treatments cancelled four days in a row!

Anyway, special facial eventually done and feeling good, the hairdresser arrived on time and all went well, she managed to cover up the bald bits by tonging my hair in curls and sticking it all together with virtually a whole can of hairspray and with a wing and a prayer. So there we were already and waiting, and waiting....... and waiting....... Our ceremony was booked for 4pm as you know, and Diane the assistant wedding coordinator had said she would ring us at 10 to 4 and then we would walk down to the wedding gazebo. So we waited,,, and we waited, she finally called us about 4 and said that the wedding official hadn't arrived yet, and she was calling him on his cell phone trying to locate him. So we continued waiting, and waiting....as you can imagine we were a bit fed up by now, anyway he did eventually arrive 35 minutes later, but better late than never, and off we went.

The ceremony went fine and afterwards we were toasted with champagne by our friends and then we all went to cool off in the air-conditioned piano bar. We'd just sat down when Diane, the wedding coordinator came in and asked us if we wouldn't mind stepping outside? I thought this is a bit odd, and seemed very strange.... anyway we went outside and she told us that she'd spoken to the manager who had said he would refund the $50 that I'd had to pay the hairdresser for doing my hair and by way of a gesture of goodwill they were offering us a 'complimentary' mini bar in our room. Now, two things sort of sprung to mind (not a swearword you'll be glad to hear) the first was why on earth was Diane pulling us out the room during our celebration like a couple of naughty school children, and the second was how can you 'give' someone a complimentary mini-bar in an all inclusive resort?? Basically my husband said no way and we wanted to speak to the manager, but NOT TODAY thanks! My husband was convinced this was done deliberately and timed just when we'd had our champagne so would be all happy and not a care in the world so to speak.

A few days past but no-one bothered to come back to us, so we went to the reception and eventually got to speak to Chris Ellis the assistant manager who was very polite and smiley but no apology was forthcoming. Basically they were offering us $50 for our inconvenience. Now bearing in mind the cost of the holiday, the cost of my extensions, the prestige of the resort we were staying at, we thought this was poor service and very poorly handled . I said that I wasn't prepared to get into a bartering situation about this, and that a hotel of this standard should, I thought, have had more regard for its reputation. At the very least a gesture of goodwill should have been no bill at the end of the holiday...... Chris said he would speak to the manager and get back to us.

When we got back to our room there was a message on our answerphone, that was quick we thought, but it was not unfortunately from the manager it was the Oasis, once again cancelling my treatment for that day! No one came back to us so once again we had to go to them...... and once again very poorly handled. My husband finally spoke to Alan Stoker the manager on the Saturday morning before we left, who said that he'd thought all of this had been sorted out, and it seemed to be a bit of a bother for him! My husband patiently explained our position, and that we had been waiting for him to get back to us! Again during the whole episode we were trying to get on and enjoy our holiday and play this down. My husband said to Mr Stoker that he felt that it was obviously Le Sport had 1000's of satisfied clients, when one unhappy one occurs its didn't seem to be a problem for them? Mr Stoker remained unmoved and silent on this, which just confirmed his thoughts on this and he also didn't feel the need to apologise on behalf of his employer either. Eventually he agree to pay the taxi fares we'd paid to the hairdresser and the original $50 offered.

It was such a shame that something like this had to happen on our dream second honeymoon, the resort as I said before was absolutely wonderful and we couldn't fault the service, the friendliness of the staff, the standard of quality, nor anything else at all. It would have been SO easy to make us happy, and enable us to leave the resort happy-bunnies. An apology, writing-off the bill, a bunch of flowers??? But it wasn't to happen, and here we are with sad memories of our special special holiday, its such a shame. Le Sport should have done more and could have easily handled it better had they wanted to.

What to do now? Well our anniversary has been and gone and as I said we are left with the wrong impression of what could have so easily been perfect and I'm sure in any other circumstances would have been. All we've got left is a bad taste in our mouths and of course we've kept the matted glued-up extensions that had to be cut out of my hair, and photos of the bald patches as nostalgic souvenirs.

I did suggest to Anita the manager of the Oasis maybe a note in the treatment rooms to warn anyone else who might have extensions to not have the scalp massages!!

Just as a foot-note, we didn't realise at the time of booking that we would have to arrange our own transfer back to the airport, so we had to book a taxi and pay again another $80 for this. We did ask reception if anyone else was leaving at the same time by private transfer to kindly let us know so that we could arrange to share, but they didn't come back to us. Strangely enough on the way to the airport we had to stop to rescue some other guests from Le Sport, whose private taxi had burst into flames on the way back.... fortunately for them we were able to pick them and up and take them to the airport, what luck for them that we were passing!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2005

We just returned from Le Sport in St. Lucia. We got married and honeymooned at the resort from 9/27-10/7/05. I found out about Le Sport through a spot on the Travel Channel. I went to TripAdvisor after we had booked through our travel agent and wasn't sure what to expect due to the mixed reviews on the site. Here is our breakdown on the resort:

Rooms: We had a great room---a junior suite ocean view. The room was a nice size and nicely furnished with a cool balcony. Housekeeping came twice a day; in the a.m. for a daily cleaning and then the turn down service. Bugs: I didn't see any bugs. I'm not sure why people are having their rooms sprayed in the evening unless they are leaving the doors to the balconies open, but we didn't have any mosquitoes in our room. Definitely bring bug spray for yourself though---I was eaten alive at dinner on our first night---my fault due to not putting on spray. Cons: The room smelled a bit mildewy, but I think that is related to some possible air conditioning issues. The other issue with our room was the temperature. I was fine because I'm cold natured, but my husband and just about anyone else that came into the room complained of how humid it was in our room. We called to complain about it on a daily basis and each time they sent someone to check it out. The maintenance staff was friendly and assured us that the unit was working properly. After several days of this, the conceirge was following up with my husband about the room and at that time offered a humidifier. That is what finally did the trick. It really did make a difference in the room.

Food: We love to eat out at trendy, upscale restaurants and do so frequently here at home. WE were both EXTREMELY pleased and impressed with the menu, presentation of the food and the quality of the food. I know that there have been some negative comments made about Cariblue, but the food was just as good at Cariblue as it is at TAO. Cariblue had several buffets with entertainment during dinner. The Deli is great for light lunches. Cariblue also had a good lunch selection as well. There is a lovely tea served daily with little sandwiches, scones, cookies, etc. Also, there was a dinner offering in the Club House as well. We never ate there, but the food smelled great when we were passing by. The drinks from the bar were good---I recommend the banana dacquiri. Service: We thought it was good. There were several times that staff stopped by our table to ensure that everything was to our liking, if we needed anything else, etc. I know that one night at Cariblue our dinner was delayed. Our server came to let us know about the delay---we didn't even notice because we were so relaxed and just enjoying each other's company. Remember, things are more relaxed in the Carribean---everywhere you go. Its probably part of the reason they live longer.

Nightlife: We can't say too much about this because we were so relaxed our whole trip that we usually went back to the room to go to bed. We didn't stay out and party like we do here at home. The couple of nights that we did stay out a bit---were okay. The piano bar is the coolest (temperature wise) and its a relaxing atomsphere. The Club House had a band several nights, but the one we saw was good and had everyone up dancing.

Staff: Just about everyone that we encountered was friendly and appeared to make sure that we had what we needed or that we were having fun. The staff stopped by our table at dinner to chat a bit with us and we enjoyed talking to them and learning about their lives. The friendliness extends beyond the resort too....we found this to be true of all the St. Lucians we encountered in town.

The Oasis Spa: LOVED it!!! We both had great massages, facials, wraps and relaxation. The Oasis staff was friendly and usually able to accomodate specific requests that we had. They worked with us (all 4 of us) to change our treatment times for our wedding day. All of our treatments had been scheduled to conflict with our wedding ceremony, but the Oasis staff was very accomodating and were able to re-arrange all of our times. I have read mixed reviews about the treatments and staff, but I found both to be of high quality. My personal favorite treatments were the massages and the coconut and spice combo. My least favorite treatment was the Devils Mint Body scrub---it wasn't a bad treatment---just one that I could do at home. The facial was different from the facials I have at home---no steam---still relaxing. (My aunt fell asleep during hers). I found the Oasis staff to be proactive too with regards to scheduling issues. For instance, I was waiting outside the treatment room for my session. While I was waiting, a staff member inquired about my wait (I'd only been waiting less than 5 minutes). At the same time she was on her way down to check on my treatment schedule, another staff member was coming up the stairs to inform me of needing to make a change and I was upgraded from a wrap to a massage given by Henrik--the master therapist (if I remember correctly, he trains all the staff on the treatments). Henrik, Mary and Chris all give great massages.

Wedding: Diane and Anne Marie take care of EVERYTHING! We had such a great ceremony. They both really made us feel special and we didn't have to worry about a thing. We were married at 11 a.m. and it was so hot and humid. I was worried about my grandmother being out in the heat and Diane took care of getting her into the piano bar where she could wait in the air conditioning while we took our pictures. Be sure that you bring your own music unless you plan on having a live musician because they don't have any recorded music. I had our music, but left it in the car at the airport. I was disappointed that we weren't going to have music, but my mother-in-law worked with Diane and surprised us with a saxophonist. He was excellent---we have his CD now too. My bouquet, the corsages for the family and my husbands boutinerre were great. It was prettier than the pictures I had seen in the book. The blossoms in my bouquet were still alive on the day that we left. We honeymooned for a week after we were married. If you choose to get married there----you are in good hands. We felt like Diane and Anne Marie were part of the family.

We had such a great time at Le Sport. You really can do as much or as little as you like. We both returned home feeling tanned, relaxed and a few pounds heavier (oops). We just can't stop talking about St. Lucia and Le Sport. We are planning to return same time next year.

ENGLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2005

We have just returned after spending two weeks in this fabulous resort. This resort is very friendly and we made many friends while we were there. I travelled with my husband but as our interests are very different on holiday many of the activities at the hotel I did by myself. I have to say that I felt very safe and comfortable around all of the staff as did other single females I spoke with. Contrary to other reviews it appeared that it was some of the female holiday makers chasing the staff and not the other way round. The staff just want to make sure you have a great holiday.
We stayed in a luxury ocean front room. The room was very comfortable and kept spotless by the maid. Yes the decor was a bit jaded but the room is only to sleep in. For travellers from England you do not need plug adaptors for this room and there is also an iron and ironing board. We were not bothered at all by mossies but we always used insect repellent both on ourselves and in the room. The food was good and plentiful,just keep an eye on the birds or they will share your food. I requested timings of my spa treatments before I left via the hotel web site,this way all my treatments went to plan and if I did have to change any they were very accomodating. The hotel is very isolated so it is well worth taking some trips to see the island. Marigot Bay and the sulpher springs are a must. When you go say hi to the guys in the club house especially Martina and Eric. Chill out and have a fab time

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2005

I only read the reviews of LeSport having come back from my holiday. Sounds stupid I know, but I'm glad I did, otherwise I wouldn't have gone!

I went here with my parents and my sisters (aged 18 and 19). On our trip we heard nothing of the infamous 'Smugglers Cove', though we did get a lot of 'Hello pretty ladies'. To be honest, I can't say I was surprised to hear about some women feeling preyed upon, as the staff are extremely flirtatious. However, we never felt vulnerable. We've actually kept in touch with three of the staff there (2 male and 1 female) as we got along with them so well.

The food was fab, and I loved the spa treatments, though it does depend on which staff member you get. The club house had some good entertainment, though the dj was terrible, and it emptied pretty quickly. We loved the piano bar, and were regularly the last to leave!

Having said all this, I'm hesitant to go back. What made the holiday so special for us were the fun, friendly staff and there is no guaranty of them still being there if we returned. Then again, maybe I'll risk it!

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

This resort is excellent and I cannot say that there was anything remotely disappointing about the whole experience. Our room overlooking the beach/pool was well up to standard, most of the spa treatments were really relaxing (treatments are not particularly my thing but I went along anyway and was pleasantly surprised). The food was exceptional at both the Cariblue and Tao restaurants, with more than enough dishes to choose from. There is no excuse to be bored at Le Sport, with the wide range of activities on offer. In saying that, I basically chilled (baked?) on the beach the whole time, and well, that was just bliss. Otherwise all of the staff were genuine, helpful and good fun and made the whole trip a pleasure. We found it very hard to leave.

• Stayed July 2005
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2005

This was my second trip to Le Sport. I went there around 6 years ago. Basically, what happened was that we (Le Sport Casualties - we called ourselves) were supposed to stay at Le Sport for a vacation; however, some of the grounds were destroyed during a hurricaine at the time. They placed us at the Windjammer (for free) - which I thought was nice but was not for the single person as there were many families (hint children) on the property. They offered a free week stay at Le Sport the next time we "got a chance" to get to St. Lucia.

Another thing was I scheduled to stay for a short time at Anse Chastenet. Le Sport paid for the taxi ride from the North of the island to the South (a good amount if I remembered correctly) and wished me "all the best".

I thought that that was class.

I came back the following year (my first time at Le Sport) and although it was nice, I would not have said it was as good as the Spa at Lake Austin - at that time.

Then fast forward to this year. I went back (even with the mixed reviews) and hoped for the best (the December Tsunami would not allow me to make reservations at my original destination).

I will say that I had a *really great time*. The grounds were still beautiful. I did more exercise activities this time around and had more treatments. If you are single, they place you at a type of "Single's Table". I met some really great people. Every night I did something: I learned to dance the local Carribean dances, I attempted to scuba dive - yet again, and I had the greatest time at the Piano Bar one night : where the whole room was full of merriment and cheer singing the best old songs.

Now to address some of the things I read in other reviews:

Rooms: I had ordered an Ocean View room; however, upon seeing the Garden View Single room, chose to stay there and then substitute the difference in price with treatments. The Ocean View rooms were old and - not so attractive and in need of repair while the single garden rooms were new. A person there asked me why I would prefer the garden view to the Ocean. My answer was that I live in Germany with Switzerland to the South - I see views literally all of the time and (for now) I preferred good accomodations more.

Smugglers Cove: I sat at the Singles table. It seemed that the staff (usually a male) was required to sit there to keep us company and ask us about our stay. But whoever was there did this task with good cheer and professionalism. If anything, I saw some of the single female guests hitting on the staff. There were quite a number of women at our table and we did the "girl talk". No one mentioned "Smuggler's Cove". I am not saying that it did not go on, I am just saying that I did not hear or see of it.

Activities: There were lots and lots and lots of things to do. Last time I went to Le Sport, I laid on the beach mostly. This time, I went to the gym, swam a lot and enjoyed the grounds.

Treatments (included with the price of the stay): Have improved *significantly* since the last time I was there. The rooms are actually attractive and there is music as well - one treatment might encompass several others. This was not the case the first time I was there where I would say the treatments were not good at all and it was a toss up as to whether or not you would get something good.

Things that were not so good:

1. There was an agreement between myself and the manager on duty at the time as to how much I would be refunded (when choosing the Junior suite over the Ocean view). Let us say that he did not totally honor what he said he would do - I was a bit disappointed with that. I discovered this on my checkout day and the manager was no where around for further discussions on the matter.

2. Another issue for me was that during one treatment (that I paid for), the person had worked on me and then allowed me to "relax". Needless to say, it turned into a nap. I had a treatment immedately thereafter (to which I was late for). That treatment was one that came with the price of the stay. Because of this, I received a "reduced-time" treatment that in no way, shape or form met the requirements of the original. Complaints about this seemed to fall on deaf ears.

It is because of these items (as well as the conditionof the Ocean View room) why I would give this resort 4 stars and not 5.

Regards.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to The BodyHoliday, LeSport? Share your experiences!