“Exceptional Facility, Marvellous staff, ...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The BodyHoliday, LeSport

You added The BodyHoliday, LeSport to your Saves list
The BodyHoliday, LeSport
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cariblue Beach | Cap Estate, Castries 437, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Castries
London, United Kingdom
“Exceptional Facility, Marvellous staff, ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

At what point do minor irritations spoil the holiday? The BH is an exceptional facility, the hotel has invested in a remarkable programme of sporting activities and a wellness programme. This includes a daily comp massage or treatment and a host of water sports including water skiing, intro to scuba, sailing, snorkelling and just so much more. The website in fact does not do justice to what is available. We never felt crowded as so much is taking place all over the resort. The beach area and sea sports truly outstanding. The three swimming pools are small but again at no point a problem and the sea a perfect temp. We found the food in the grill outstanding. It was if the chefs cooked for you personally more so because as a family we eat early having done sporting activity through the day. On tap soft drinks, happily served anywhere and I mean literally anywhere including on floats out at sea involving the waiters swimming to deliver. The majority of the team were truly outstanding but there were one or two people who let the hotel down for no obvious reason. Perhaps just a bad day. The hotel has not invested in their rooms but they are adequate but less than other Caribbean 5 star properties and way below those of the Persian Gulf and Far East. The A/C is just not good enough and there are few places to escape the humidity which I did find a little difficult though the others did not. We did not mind an absence of room technology but free wi fi is a reasonable substitute. Given the amount of sport we did use the laundry and I considered this expensive but a good service. Our private transfer on arriving was not smooth but not sure if this was BA or the hotel who had not added a 5th person to the 4 who initially booked. Either way the hotel rep at the airport was woeful! St Lucia itself is a great island matched by super people. We all climbed the Gros Piton, most difficult thing I have ever undertaken but the younger members found it straight forward. There are other trips such as The Sulphur pits and museum, diamond falls and all kinds of nature trails and off road activities to suit all tastes and ages. The hotel organised two wonderful personalised day trips for us and they should offer more of these. We actually encountered more than 100 dolphins who surrounded the boat on the second trip, truly memorable.

Overall - a brilliant trip and 2 weeks flew. In answer to my own question, minor irritations can spoil but not here where the positives just overwhelm anything negative.

Room Tip: Sea view on ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I return to lesport and was disappointed in my recent visit. Having travelled elsewhere the last few years I have visited some other resorts with spas out of this world. Whilst I rate lesport as more of a fitness/activity place and there is certainly no other resort offering round the clock hourly classes, if you are there for relaxation and spa treatments I would recommend you go elsewhere. I made the mistake of upgrading some of my inclusive treatments to other treatments but learnt afterwards I might as well have kept the inclusive treatments and was charged full rate of upgraded treatments. When I discussed this with manager, she said I was mistaken to think a normal body massage would be the same as a hot stone massage, so hence 120 usd was charged for my upgrade. Let's just say if I had know it was not really am upgrade, I would have kept normal massage and bought additional treatments since I was being charged full rate for them.

Other disappointing things were breakfast does not start until 7.30 which is quite late. Whilst I appreciate the kitchen staff want everything to be perfect, might it be a good idea to leave some juices / fruit / cakes / muffins so that going on early morning walks or stretch / yoga could grab something.

I had high expectations for my return but left a little deflated and not sure if I will return in a big hurry. Another thing that annoyed me was the free upgrades given to guests as it was clear they had overbooked so some single guests were given free upgrades which annoyed some other guests who had paid for a better room. Is it not better to offer free upgrades to guests say on their fifth visit or celebrating special occasions? Or discount more of the higher price rooms if the lower end has reached capacity. It just seemed a really unfair way, for example one traveller came for first time for one week and was given upgraded room and another guest came for ten days but had paid 40% more for better room.

In essence it is still a great resort but lacks a lot of the buzz and magic of earlier years. There is a lot more sunloungers. Food at Cariblue is a lot nicer both at lunch and dinner.

The bad is treatments at oasis spa is not consistent, some mediocre, some bad. I came home to take off my nail polish and was left with yellow stains after 7 days so polish must be very old.

Management were argumentative and I left feeling stressed and not happy and part of me felt I never went. I mean I was supposed to be on vacation to enjoy myself and relax.

• Stayed September 2013
sjcd, General Manager at The BodyHoliday, LeSport, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent return to The BodyHoliday. It is with great concern that I read about your experience. I truly apologize that it was less than satisfactory.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions and it will be considered as we continue to create excellent service in delivery and fulfillment of our promise to our guests.

Once again I apologise for the experience you have described and would like very much to hear from you. Please email me @ Stephen@thebodyholiday.com so that your concerns can be further discussed.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Concord
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Arrived at the hotel after a 1 1/2 hour drive, greeted by sparkling wine and friendly staff.
Within minutes we were escorted to our ocean view room, simple and clean. Right away to get the feeling of comfort, safety and home. we immediately dropped our luggage off, unpacked a little and off we were to explore the resort. wow, just beautiful.
I could go on and on ...but in short, the staff was just wonderful and accommodating, always friendly and helpful. The beach and the water was fantastic, always a shady place to find and lots of fish to see while snorkeling. Now the best, they have an activity board (or a booklet) of daily activities, some you need to preregister for, they were all amazing and we took full advantage. I learned how to golf ( the best teacher) learned how to play tennis (again an amazing teacher) the yoga was fantastic (thanks Samantha and Catherine) . then there was the daily spa treatments, so wonderful, I found it a great way to end the day of fun activities. the most wonderful experience and memorable was the trip to Pigeon Island to do yoga, thanks Catherine and other staff for this special time.
The food was good enough, there was always something healthy to choose from.
Now the only down side, and it's not enough to prohibit me from visiting again, the beds and pillows were not terribly comfortable, did not get much sleep due to this. As I said, a small inconvenience and something I will overlook since everything else about this resort is so wonderful. I would 100% recommend this resort to anyone, especially if you are the active type like we are. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
epsom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have never written a review before but felt compelled to this time as I checked on this site continuously before booking (& after) & found it a big help

If you are umming & aahing over this hotel, don't! Just book it. Best holiday ever.

I really can't fault anything. There are activities from 6am in the morning until 7pm at night. You can be as active as you like or as lazy as you like. We tried everything from keep fit classes to archery to sailing to tubing to golf. We also just spent days on the beach watching the water sports guys doing their jobs. Nothing is too much trouble for them.

They have a red flag system on the beach so you can raise the flag anytime you want anything. Being very English we found this a bit difficult to get used to as we didn't think it was too much of a bother to get up & get our own drinks but the staff seems genuinely put out if you did this so after a couple of days the flag was used!

The spa was fantastic, staff very professional & we never had one of them trying to sell us extras.

The staff throughout the hotel complex cannot be faulted. Everything was done with a smile & seemingly genuine ones at that. From the lady who makes the omelettes in the morning (very tasty) to the last person you see at night - nothing was too much trouble

The only downside, & this is being picky, is that the spa, gym & exercise rooms are 100 steps up a steepish hill. Even if you are fit this is a daily challenge in the sun but the treatments at the top make the effort worthwhile! On this note I would book treatments for 5pm!

We were there in Sept solo month & if you are thinking of going alone book. Everyone we met was having a whale of a time with the other singles they met. It is very well organised & if I was single I'd be back like a shot!

Nightlife is fairly quiet but as this is a sporty place most people were happy going to bed early to be up for the morning classes. There's normally a band playing

Drinks are all included, even champagne. Also the water is drinkable & they provide you with water bottles to fill up all over the resort. We didn't really use these so much as everywhere you went in the resort had a water station

The clientele is varied. Whilst we were there there were families with grown up children, to singles to couples of all ages.

Def try Tao & have the chocolate pudding! Windows was good but we didn't feel the extra for the taster menu with wine was worth it as the included one was excellent. On our last night we paid extra for the lobster thermidor - try it it's great - also very big so one between 2 would probably suffice. On that note all the food was excellent. We mainly ate in the grill but everything is freshly prepared

Before we went we read on here that people return time & again. We didn't understand why you'd go back to the same place twice. We do now. Bottom line is that a holiday here is not cheap but you certainly get what you pay for & if we can afford to we'd go back again without a 2nd thought. You know you will get a fantastic break. One lady we spoke to was there on her 20th visit!

We also read about people moaning about the trip from the airport to the hotel. The minibus takes about 1hr 20 but it was fine. We were in St Lucia 20 years ago & believe me the roads have improved 10 fold!

They have a pillow menu too - I can thoroughly recommend the 100% goosedown!

So book & have the time of your life!

Room Tip: We had a luxury room (their normal room) & it had everything we needed. We had a slight problem...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have been to to LeSport probably 10 times in the last 15 years, so I am well familiar with the resort and its amenities. I have even reviewed it--more positively--before. I obviously like(d) it, or I wouldn't return so often. But I think this trip will be our last--the value has dropped below the price, unfortunately.

The Good: There are still good things about LeSport. The beach service staff are ridiculously helpful and nice, offering everything from cool towels and drinks to cleaning your sunglasses and fetching you a lounge chair from across the site to place just where you want to sit. They even swim drinks out to the floats stationed in the bay now. That's service! The water sports and dive shop staffs are also excellent--gracious, helpful, hard-working, and knowledgeable. The site is beautiful, and the new buildings and pool are lovely. Natasha at the gift shop went far out of her way to help us get a couple of things from town that were out of stock but we needed.

The Bad: Levels of quality are slipping, and have been for some time. The food has leveled off at mediocre--it is not often truly bad, but it is very rarely good. Bread and desserts are dry, dry, dry, and most of the meats are overcooked to near-leather consistency, except for the bacon at breakfast, which is consistently nearly raw, greasy and inedible. The fruit on this trip was lousy--unripe and flavorless or gone bad--and of all thing they serve, I expect fruit in the tropics to be good quality.

The treatments at the Oasis/Wellness center have become very inconsistent, which is annoying. I work in a field that requires the standardization of human performance, and I know it is hard. However, the therapists vary wildly in their efforts and the quality of the treatments now, and not in good ways. On previous visits, you could expect any given experience (a full-body massage, a facial, whatever) to be very similar regardless of who delivered it, but this is no longer the case. My fiance and I routinely climbed down the hill discussing our treatments using words like "half-hearted", "okay", "mediocre", and "meh". That was new, and particularly unwelcome. A big reason I return to LeSport is the daily spa treatment, and they were no longer an attraction on this trip. I except from this opprobrium the 2 paid treatments I had, which were excellent.

LeSport spent a huge amount of money on the new facilities, which are lovely, but there seem to be some persistent physical plant problems that have not been addressed (a lot more on one of them below). While I appreciate a nice clubhouse and a new infinity pool, I am not happy when the drains or the elevators don't work, especially for days on end, or when there are bad mosquitoes for 2 solid weeks, but no fogging to address it. Nearly everyone at the resort was covered in bites and welts--that is not good.

The Ugly: The attitude, particularly of the management staff, was bad. We had two problems on this trip, and neither went well while being resolved. The first was our room not being ready when we arrived. I made our reservations more than 5 months before we arrived. Our travel agent gave the resort our flight number so they knew when we were arriving. There are 2 different resort-associated desks at the UVF airport we had to check in with who could provide alerts that we had, in fact, actually arrived. It is more than an hour's drive from UVF to LeSport, so there was time to prepare even after our arrival on the island. We arrived at LeSport at nearly 5 p.m. Checkout is noon and you have day-spaces for travelers leaving late so that the rooms can be turned. And yet my room was not clean when I arrive? And checking us in next to two other couples whose rooms ARE ready adds insult to injury, particularly when you have "VIP--repeat customer" next to my name at the concierge desk. Seriously? I have been in transit for 12 hours. I do not want to sit around in the office for an indefinite period while you leisurely check in with housekeeping about when it might be done. Watching the shift manager's face when the head housekeeper hung up on her was entertaining (although that lack of communication across departments also did not indicate effective management going on, despite being funny). No, after all that advance warning I expect the room to be clean and prepared when I get there. And it wasn't. And it took what felt like a long time and several people to get it sorted. But it was finally sorted...

Until 6 days later, when the air conditioning quit. In our room. Apparently in our wing/section. Not that I care about how many other people have this issue: that is the resort's problem, not MINE, so stop telling me about it as if it mitigates how I feel. Anyway, it went like this. Afternoon/evening of Day 1 of the great un-AC stretch: me: "Is it warm in here?" Fiance: "Yeah--I'll turn the AC down." Night 1 of the great un-AC stretch: Miserable, too hot to sleep. Day 2: Polite fiance calls the concierge, who says she'll have someone look into it right away. No action, crickets chirp in the silence of the non-response. Night 2: repeat of night 1. Day 3: I (who am not so polite) call hotel operator and request maintenance solution to lack of AC. Maintenance guy shows up within 20 minutes. Uses temperature probe to establish what I told him, that air coming from vent is the same temp as air in room, allowing for fan movement. MG agrees there is issue. He leaves, vowing to "come right back." We never see him again. Night 3: see nights 1 and 2.

Day 4: I take my now quite hostile butt to breakfast. Cook asks if I am sad--I say not sad, I am very, very angry. She asks why, I tell her, she calls her manager, who gets the hotel shift manager to come to my table (I was headed to manager's office after breakfast, so this made things faster but not different). Note, however, that the breakfast short-order cook was the one person in this whole process who seemed to give a damn that we had a problem and actively try to get it solved--that I do appreciate. Anyway, manager and I have a very brisk discussion of the lack of AC in my room. Manager comes to our room after breakfast and ARGUES with me that room is cooler than outdoors (it is, but only because we have kept the curtains closed since beginning of this fiasco, and only by a few degrees). Note that "cooler than outdoors" is not the point--it is VERY HOT outside and the room is VERY HOT minus a few degrees, so HOT. She agrees to go talk to maintenance. I am clear that I will be down in her office to continue our brisk discussion in 20 minutes if she is not back.

She arrives back at minute 18, claims that there is a problem in this wing, a system problem has been found, and it will be fixed by 4 p.m. Fine, say I, but if it is not, I will accept no further excuses and expect a SOLUTION. She agrees. We spend the day, when not outside, in the library where there is AC. At 4 p.m., back to the room--no AC, same as before. I go to office. Manager is (surprise!) not there. We wait. There are numerous offers to send manager to my room. No thanks, I will wait here, assertively and visibly unhappy. Manager arrives, we all troop off to our room. She argues with me--AGAIN--that room is cooling off and the AC air is cold. It isn't; she is full of crap. She calls maintenance on her cell and in ensuing discussion accidentally reveals to us that all rooms are supposed to be 64 degrees F (hah!) and thermostats in rooms are only decorations (this is not a surprise to me, but the look on her face when she realizes what she has said and that we heard it is amusing). She asks us to give it until 6:30 to cool off. We agree. Reprise this same set of scenes at 6:30--it is hot, she argues with me that it is cool, etc. She asks us to wait until after dinner, since room is cooling, she says (it isn't). At 8:30, I arrive in the office, thoroughly enraged and still hot. No AC in my room, of course (the AC in the office is working--it is considerably cooler there than in my room, despite being open-air). Manager is not there, also of course. We sit angrily, saying nothing, for the least comfortable 20 minutes of the other office staff's life. Manager finally arrives (after 3 progressively more anxious calls from other office staff begging her to return and deal with us), claiming she has been to our room along with others in the range and "most of them" including ours, are cool. This is NOT a good thing to say to me at this point. I explain that I am entirely uninterested in her opinion of the room's temperature, and if she likes it, SHE can sleep there. It is HOT in there and we are MOVING--where is she putting us that has AC? Another room? Sandals? I no longer care--but I am not staying in that room any longer. She offers another room, which I wish to verify temperature of before we move. I do, it is cool (probably 20 degrees cooler than our "cool" room we are moving from, and if she thinks this room and the one we are departing are the same temperature, she has some weird sort of temperature-sensing disability), we move. End of far-too-long, unpleasant process--but we spent 4 days of our vacation in an un-air-conditioned room before it got settled.

We had this exact problem (AC died) once before at LeSport. Then, the staff was in our room with a fan within half an hour and we were moved the next day when it was not fixed. No stupid arguments about whether it was cool in there or not. They just dealt with it: graciously, sympathetically, and kindly. And I know that mechanical things break down. It wasn't the failure that made me angry. It was the attitude: the constant carping at me that I was wrong, the room was cool, everyone else was fine, why wouldn't I just go away and shut up, etc. No, I was not wrong, the room was hot, I contracted for AC (among other things) at the many hundreds of dollars per night I was paying and I wanted a SOLUTION, not stories about your problems with other guests. I do not care about the other rooms--I care about MY room. And I expect at a minimum to be treated politely, like a guest with a reasonable request (fix the AC, my room is hot), not a tyrannical, unreasonable lunatic. The resort is not cheap, and I would not have booked in had you advertised it as an un-air-conditioned place. I expected this to get solved. Instead I got a hostile, unpleasant run-around and very little sleep in a hot room for a third of my vacation--not exactly the relaxing, peaceful time I had in mind when I booked the trip.

So the food is mediocre to bad, and the service in the Oasis was meh. But the management's attitude has put it over the top. I don't want to go on vacation anticipating endless arguments over things I should not have to deal with. Next year we'll spend our money somewhere else.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms at the resort are fine.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sjcd, General Manager at The BodyHoliday, LeSport, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We regret to hear about your experience at The BodyHoliday. Your experience with us, as described, is certainly not the light in which we would like our resort to be seen. I apologize for your inconveniences and would like very much to hear from you.

Please email me at stephen@ thebodyholiday.com so that your concerns could be further discussed.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Day 1, so many negatives that may start looking for another hotel for remainder of trip:
1:Room not ready at 5:00pm.
2:No air conditioning in room. Maintenance came to look, not resolved.
3:Shower sprays water all over floor, no door or curtain to prevent this. Shower also does not drain. Took fast shower (in attempt to cool off), water still draining 5 min after done showering.
4:Dinner not good. Service by waitress even worse.
5:Reservations for activities not found. Made activity reservations a month ago & received email confirmation but during check in today, they could not be found.

Very annoying experience for the last month trying to get the correct treatments. Lots if back & forth communication only to get my included treatments straightened out 3 days before arriving. To have the dinner reservations & activities be incorrect & virtually non- exsistant is highly discouraging.

Day 2 had better shine or i I'm off to a new resort!

• Stayed October 2013
sjcd, General Manager at The BodyHoliday, LeSport, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We truly apologize that your experience thus far has been less than satisfactory. Your review is certainly not in keeping with the standards that are maintained at our resort.

Please contact me directly at Stephen@thebodyholiday.com or via the concierge team so we can discuss and rectify the situation immediately.

Warm regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Fab resort with fantastic staff! The staff can't do enough for you across the board from house housekeeping to security and bar staff. The snorkelling is unlimited and amazing!! Only real negative is that they're geared up to returnees. Not easy to know where to go even with the map as the boutique is the only building with a sign. Very few clocks too, which make getting to treatments and activities on time a challenge. Oh and we missed the boat trip as we didn't know about it until we saw it come by the bay :-( we were then told it was for returnees which was a bit exclusive. Apparently you can go on the trip if you ask though. Was a fab holiday though so does come recommended, just follow top tips (e.g turns out you can get your room sprayed each night to stop the bites - we found out on the last day).

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The BodyHoliday, LeSport? Share your experiences!