“More Spring Break than Serene” 3 of 5 stars

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   La Toc, Castries, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up To $250 Bonus Credit!!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Castries
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Eugene, Oregon
“More Spring Break than Serene”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

We stayed at the Sandals Regency for our honeymoon. It wasn't quite what we expected. The staff was friendly, with their "no pressure, no problem" attitude that must be the national attitude. The room was fine, although we did have mosquitos biting us while we slept. Bring bug spray, we got eaten alive. I was hoping to spend my honeymoon relaxing, unwinding, being pampered in paradise.

I was surprised at the level of poverty in the Castries area. People
were living in plywood and sheet metal houses on cinder blocks, using
abandoned car parts for seats. It was sad. There were half sunk boats
in the harbor and SO much litter everywhere! Just junk strewn everywhere outside the resort.

When I travel, I like to bond with the country. I didn't feel capable
of doing that at the all-inclusive. But, I didn't feel comfortable venturing out on my own either. The roads are horrible, they drive on
the other side of the road, every car is manual. We went on a couple of the resort organized excursions, but be warned, they ALL depart at 8:30am. So much for sleeping in. It's also very limiting because you have to pick and choose what to do since everything is at the same time. We were disappointed because we wanted to scuba dive as much as we could, but of course, the 2 tank dive leaves at 8:30am also. We got in one 2 tank dive and we were only able to sleep in 1 day we were there.

Also, be aware, if you want to eat at La Toc or Kimonos, make your reservation as soon as you get there. They were booked out 4 days when we called, and we didn't get to eat there. We were so sick of the buffet and the TexMex place by the end of our trip. Another note on the food....I have a sweet tooth, and their sweets suck. Portions
for a 2 year old.

Sandals Regency is great if you want to party like it was spring break and drink like a fish. Not so great if you are looking for paradise.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,224)
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

We stayed at the Sandals Regency for our honeymoon near the end of March and early April. Unexpectedly, it rained the first few days we were there, but that did not stop us from having fun. I would suggest checking the weather before you go, just to make sure you have a good chance of it being sunny the entire time. When the weather cleared up, however, it was spectacular.
The best part about our experience at Sandals was having a butler. If you go to this resort, you must ask for either Blain or Sadiq - the best butlers ever! We became such good friends with Blain that we even invited him to come stay with us in Miami. (Blain, if you read this, the offer still stands! - jeet!) Because of our butlers, we had one of the best trips we've ever had; they went out of their way and then some to make all of our desires a reality. We felt like royalty. This is definitely a resort that we would love to go back to and we will surely visit Sandals destinations again!

• Liked — our butlers, Blain and Sadiq
  • Disliked — the rain on the first few days
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

Oh my gosh... we loved it!!! We went to Sandals Regency for our honeymoon. We had the 2-story villa on the bluff and so when we got to the airport we were surprised with a private driver (no riding the bumpy bus). He had a cooler of drinks waiting for us and he was so full of information and would answer any question we had of the island. He stopped and showed us a fishing village and took our picture overlooking the Atlantic. Gorgeous!

Then we get there and we are greeted by 1 of our 2 personal butlers - Saffi. Amazing! She was so friendly and helped us out a lot. She took us to our room and we just fell in love with it. The plunge pool is well worth it. That is where we ended every single night. The room was beautiful. The next day we met our other butler - Roland - who was so awesome to us. He would go and play golf with his clients. They were great and we miss them terribly.

The room was restocked everyday and cleaned everyday to perfection - but there was no consistency to the times. But with every staff member there be so absolutely friendly, we didn't care.

The piano bar is great, we spent a lot of time there. Armondo's was really good as well. La Toc - hated it! The Pavillion restaurant is good for breakfast, but we didn't like it any other time. Kimono's was good, but don't expect Americanized Japanese food, because it does not taste the same. Arizona's for dinner was ok - I liked it, my husband didn't; but they had the snack bar in the afternoon there as well and that was good - always hit the spot. But please go to the Pitons restaurant. We went there the very last night and we were so upset, because it is the best restaurant at that resort.

As for the water stuff, we only went to the beach and to the pool on the cliff (very quiet, but still has a swim-up bar). And if you are staying in a butler suite, they will bring you buckets of bear and food to the pool or to the beach. That was amazing!

But we loved it and can't wait to go back! Highly recommended.

• Liked — What didn't I like
  • Disliked — The food wasn't the best I have ever had, but with everything else, I didn't care!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
mdavis173
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Regency 6/30-7/9. We were married on July 4th on the beach. Every moment of our trip was an absolute delight. Sandals created a beautiful DVD that we were able to take home and share with friends and relatives. Our favorite restuarant and swim up bar was at Armandos. We stayed 9 days and we were ready to book our next trip.

My Favorite Staff member was Francis who was a staff member at Kimonos. Thanks for the great service, we will be back soon.

• Liked — The way they made me feel like the rich and famous for a day.
  • Disliked — Trip from Airport
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Keizer, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

This review is way overdue. Our visit to Saint Lucia was in December of 2006. Our wedding anniversary is December 5th and we tend to vacation the first two weeks of December. I am 58 and my wife is 48, so we are on the older end of the travelers we have encountered . But, we still have fun!!

Our first Caribbean experience was at Sandals Montego Bay for our 20th anniversary in 2001 (eight nights). Our 22nd anniversary was celebrated at Sandal Royal Bahamain in December of 2003 (ten nights). Both of these vacations were taken while our children were still at home and so the bills were not paid until several months after our return. Now our children are on their own and we can afford to prepay. Nice!

We planned and paid for our 25th anniversary vacation a year in advance of our departure. Actually, Jen, my wife, said she wanted to go to St Lucia while on the airplane returning home from the Bahamas. Our plan: Four nights at the Sandals Regency in the Oceanview Penthouse One Bedroom Luxury Suite and then, ten more nights at the Sandals Regency in the Honeymoon Beachfront Concierge Room (separate review).

Friday Afternoon:
I hired a Limo to take us the 55 miles from our home in Keizer, Oregon to Portland International where we boarded our Delta red-eye flight to Atlanta. After breakfast and a three hour layover in Atlanta, I paid $300 for a first class upgrade. BIG Mistake!!! My wife does not fly well and usually takes a sleeping pill or two so she can sleep through the flight. Now she will only fly first class. OH Well!!

Saturday:
We had pre-arranged for Ben’s West Coast Jeep and Taxi to take us from Heneworra to the Regency in a Lexus SUV. The driver took his time, stopping several times for photos, and we arrived at the Regency Bluff Concierge in good shape.
We were introduced to our butler, Christis, and he showed us to our upgraded room, the Honeymoon Oceanfront One Bedroom Villa Suite With Pool. This room was great, with a fantastic view of La Toc Bay. We went off to dinner at Armando’s, which was very good, and then returned to our room for much needed sleep, having been traveling since 5:30 pm the previous day.

Sunday:
Buffet breakfast at the Pavilion Restaurant was the usual Sandals quality…Excellent. After breakfast we walked on the beach taking photos of the 6’ plus surf. I was raised on the beach in Southern California and the surf at La Toc reminded me of the surf there. Very beautiful.
We got our butler to show us the Penthouse room we originally booked. He showed us the third floor corner room overlooking the pool. One look at the double tub and Jen said, “lets downgrade”. This room was fantastic. Huge…wonderful view…two room suite…etc. We had Christus make the arrangements and move our luggage. We spent the remainder of the day exploring the resort, having lunch at Arizonas, and lounging in the sun on the deck at the Sunset pool on the bluff.
Christus had made reservations for us at Gordon’s Restaurant, at the Grande. We hopped the shuttle and arrived at the Grande 15 minutes later. It was a warm evening with a refreshing tropical breeze and we enjoyed a pleasant walk to Gordon’s, on the pier, near the Water Sports area. We were seated by the railing, overlooking the water, and spent the next two hours in culinary heaven, enjoying the best meal of our lives. Five courses: appetizers, soup, salad, entrée and dessert. I had the vichyssoise for my soup course, and it was the best soup I have ever eaten. Nothing else comes close. It was so good, I am having trouble remembering what else I had. I only remember that the service, atmosphere and food were excellent. Gordon’s is included with butler level rooms. You may, however, purchase a meal there if you are not in a butler suite. This would be very expensive, from my point of view. BUT WELL WORTH THE PRICE!

Monday:
Spent most of the day poolside soaking in rays. Monday’s are Beach Party nights and we had dinner at the buffet. I had some ribs which were good, but not great. It had been raining that afternoon and not much was happening. Overall, a quiet, restful day in paradise.

Tuesday, December 5th, our 25th wedding anniversary:
We had booked a candlelight dinner on the beach. We booked it nine months earlier. Why did Sandals not tell us it would rain this afternoon? Didn’t they know? Well, we are very flexible people…especially while on vacation. We finally called Christus at about 5 pm and postponed our candlelight dinner until the next week at the Halcyon. He asked us what we wanted to do. I said Kimonos would be great but probably impossible to get into at this late hour. He said he would see what he could do. At 6:30 I gave up and ordered a couple of meals from room service. 15 minutes later Christus called and said he got us into Kimono’s at 7:00. I am sure he had to pull many strings to get this done. I told him about the room service order and he said not to worry, he would take care of it. He came to our door and escorted us to dinner. Kudos!!!
Dinner at Kimonos was great. We ate at Kimono’s twice at the Royal Bahamain and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. This time, the food was actually better. However, the thing that we like about Kimono’s is the group you eat with and the chef’s entertainment. These can be a gable anywhere. A good, outgoing group can bring out the best in the chef. A great chef can bring out the best in a group. We had neither at the Regency Kimono’s. Do not get me wrong…the people and the chef were fine, just not what we experienced at the Royal Bahamain.

Wednesday;
We spent most of the day at the main pool. Sandals was in the midst of re-tiling the pool deck. Their choice of new tiles was excellent, and, having seen photos of the finished deck, it should be enjoyed by their guests. This was not too much of a bother to us or any of the other guests.
We were scheduled to transfer to the Halcyon today. As returning guests (SSG) we were eligible for the SSG dinner, which is on Wednesday nights. I tend to look for good deals and so I extended our stay at the Regency one more night and we went to the SSG dinner. (Of course, next Wednesday we went to the SSG dinner at the Halcyon). We had an excellent meal and enjoyed the company of several other Signature Guests.

Thursday:
Breakfast at Armando’s, outside on the terrace, overlooking the Sunset Pool. We soaked up a few more rays, drank a few more BBC’s, took photos of the beautiful grounds and had lunch at Arizona’s.
Check out was a breeze and we were off to the Halcyon for nine more nights in paradise.

Comments:
Rats? We saw none. We did see a few of the “rat like” rodents which are all over the island. These are “agouti”. They look like a large rat but are not. Squirrels are also rodents and the agouti are kind of like St Lucian squirrels. We saw agouti at all three Sandals, only at night, and only a few. This is not a problem of cleanliness but, a product of the tropical rainforest.
Service? I love to engage people I meet, asking them about their interests, their families etc. This tends to open people up to conversation and will usually put a smile on their face. I found this to be especially true of the St Lucians. I think they are kind of like Jamaicans with a crust of reserve. Once I asked a server or other staff about their family or how they liked their job, they opened up and showed themselves to be a warm and polite people with a great sense of humor. Some meals were served quickly…some slowly. But, we were on vacation and not in a hurry.
Portions? You are at an all-inclusive resort. No one should complain about small portions. If you have a five course meal, you had better hope for small portion. Otherwise you will not get to desert. If you are still hungry, order more food.
Drinks? Never had a “watered down” drink at any Sandals we have visited. If you want it stronger, ask.
Room? We liked the Penthouse better than the upgrade Oceanfront with Pool. Everything was in good condition. Having said that, I know that others have not been so lucky. I spent 18 years as a Millwright foreman at a yacht manufacturer. I know how hard it is to maintain a large facility subject to the weather. The Pacific NW is nothing compared with the tropical rain forests, salt air and 95% humidity of St Lucia. You may, and probably will, see rust, mold and/or mildew. So what. Please do not spend your vacation taking photos of it and then post those photos here. Get a life! Also, do not go cheap and then complain. You get what you pay for. Some think it is too much. I understand. Others think it is OK. This is always a matter of opinion. We had no problems with our rooms at the Regency. It was well worth the cost. We were celebrating something special and splurged. Not everyone can do this. We can’t do it next time. But, if you have the means, go for it.

Finally, my parting shots. Our first love, and Sandals experience, was Sandals MoBay. All others are compared to that. The Regency, for us, was better than Sandals MoBay. We liked the Halcyon better than the Regency. We are glad that we spent five nights at the Regency and it was a wonderful experience.
We loved Saint Lucia and it’s people and, after we visit many other places, would love to return. (Too many other places to see). Sandals Antigua is next on our Sandals list, but probably after Maui and Couples Negril. We love the Sandals AI but have not experienced other Caribbean resorts. If you have not tried a Sandals please do. Then you will see for yourselves. Some like it, others hate it. You cannot, in my opinion, tell from these reviews.

I have hundreds of photos and will answer any questions you might have. Send me a message and I will respond via e-mail.

Dutch

p.s.: Halcyon review coming soon!

• Liked — Overall everything was excellent
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

We had our wedding on July 12, 2007 at the Regency and it was amazing!!!! Our butlers Dee and Shana were wonderful!!! Whatever we needed they were always there with a helping hand. Butler Service is the way to go. They dressed our room the majority of the nights extremely romantic. They booked our reservations at the restuarants that we wanted to eat at. They left drinks and snacks in our room most of the afternoons or nights.

The drivers, especially Mark and Keri, were very kind!!!

George was the bartinder of choice at the Armondos pool. He made the drinks especially well.

Donalin and the cook (sorry I forgot his name but he said he is the kareoke dancer) are wonderful individuals that worked at Kimonos.

My husband played golf and the course was descent. Caddies are required but to him they were a waste of money because they really don't know how to play the game. Also, don't let them know you have beer in your bag because they will drink more than you do....

The drinks of choice are champagne and wine because the beer and mixed drinks are very watered down and don't contain hardly any liquor.

My wedding was exceptional and I would have not had it any other way. The best time to go and have your wedding is in July because it is a slower time of year for the resort...

• Liked — Butler Service
  • Disliked — Drinks weren't that great
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mount Airy, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

I was slightly worried about going to st lucia after reading some reviews on here, but my wife and I absolutely loved it. We would definately go back to the Regency again and have even talked about going back in the future. I loved the food, it was excellent. We ended up eating at both the Grande and Halcyon and still preffered the Regency over both. We had a beachfront room, no butler, which I dont know what I would do with a butler anyway. I definately reccomend this hotel and the whole Sandals experience.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Castires - Very Poverished
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!